F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official Foodie Thread
proTUNING Freaks

04-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #991
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

After eating last night, got lazy. So here ya go...

04-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #992
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
nice. As far as restaurants go, the best curry I've had was at a place called Vij's restaurant in Vancouver, BC -

http://www.vijs.ca/

4.5 stars with 434 reviews on google reviews, and 4.5 stars with 501 reviews on yelp.

This was probably 5 or 6 years ago now but I still remember the lamb curry dish I had at Vij's. No restaurant in Austin comes even close in my opinion. Austin's indian fare ranges from stunningly mediocore (claypit) to abjectly disgusting (bombay grill), although my brother says Teji's on guadalupe is OK for the price. I have yet to try it, though, but we'll see.

Claypit used to be acceptable to me when they first opened, but their quality has taken a turn for the worst in recent years. A year ago I attended a friend's graduation party at claypit. Claypit offers their special "butter chicken" dish for catered events and I thought that tasted pretty good. Other than their butter chicken (which they don't offer during regular dining hours), I'm not much of a fan of anything else.

I swear, for catered events Claypit will prepare their curry from scratch. If you go during lunch hours, for example, the curry tastes like it's been frozen for days and heated up prior to serving.
I was at Claypit a few weeks ago, took my wife and her best friend. The food was "OK" but I'm not gagging to go back anytime soon. Not long ago I went to Bomboy Bistro off S. Lamar. Have you been there? Very friendly service and for a lunch buffet, it went pretty damn hard.

Let's switch gears to Thai curries though. Talk to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #993
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'd say that a proper curry, whether Indian or Thai, is a real treat for me. My wife makes a killer chicken korma at home, completely from scratch. I definitely have never had a better chicken korma in a restaurant. And she's not Indian, she was born outside of Ft. Worth...
Quote:
nice. As far as restaurants go, the best curry I've had was at a place called Vij's restaurant in Vancouver, BC -

4.5 stars with 434 reviews on google reviews, and 4.5 stars with 501 reviews on yelp.

This was probably 5 or 6 years ago now but I still remember the lamb curry dish I had at Vij's. No restaurant in Austin comes even close in my opinion. Austin's indian fare ranges from stunningly mediocore (claypit) to abjectly disgusting (bombay grill), although my brother says Teji's on guadalupe is OK for the price. I have yet to try it, though, but we'll see.

Claypit used to be acceptable to me when they first opened, but their quality has taken a turn for the worst in recent years. A year ago I attended a friend's graduation party at claypit. Claypit offers their special "butter chicken" dish for catered events and I thought that tasted pretty good. Other than their butter chicken (which they don't offer during regular dining hours), I'm not much of a fan of anything else.

I swear, for catered events Claypit will prepare their curry from scratch. If you go during lunch hours, for example, the curry tastes like it's been frozen for days and heated up prior to serving.

Being in the Bay Area there's a lot of Indian/Pakistan restaurants and they make the best lamb and chicken curries. For anyone in the Bay Area try out Shalimar, they are known for insanely good lamb curry, really flavorful and the meat is so tender. Also they make a fantastic tandoori chicken with mint chutney

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Black Chrome Varrstoen ES2|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #994
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Tried this new place for lunch today. It was pretty good.

Pork belly with fried green tomatoes

Hamburger with zucchini chips which were surprisingly good.

Roasted pork sandwich with broccoli rabe

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:44 AM   #995
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I was at Claypit a few weeks ago, took my wife and her best friend. The food was "OK" but I'm not gagging to go back anytime soon. Not long ago I went to Bomboy Bistro off S. Lamar. Have you been there? Very friendly service and for a lunch buffet, it went pretty damn hard.

Let's switch gears to Thai curries though. Talk to me.
Aww man to be brutally honest I don't know much about the Thai food scene in Austin. What would you recommend?

I actually went to Bombay Bistro on S.Lamar pretty recently I was hankering for some Chili's molten chocolate lava cake so I decided to take a trip to the Brodie Oaks center only to find that Chili's had closed down, so I noticed Bombay Bistro nearby and said why the hell not. I did enjoy the food. I had their traditional chicken curry and some potato dish as part of their lunch buffet which was good.

The server who was refilling drinks for everyone was extremely nice and hence I left a size-able tip, but the hostess was quite rude which left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm kind of clean-freak when it comes to restaurants and a lot of the tables were a little dirty when I went in, so I took maybe 15 or 20 seconds looking for a clean table in a mostly empty restaurant, and the hostess rudely and hurriedly tried to usher me to a table for no good reason. The restaurant was maybe at 5% capacity, there was no one else waiting at the hostess stand, and frankly speaking I can find my own damn table by myself for a lunch buffet. Her hovering over me while I was looking for a place to sit down was unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:49 AM   #996
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Tried this new place for lunch today. It was pretty good.

Pork belly with fried green tomatoes

Hamburger with zucchini chips which were surprisingly good.

Roasted pork sandwich with broccoli rabe

Pork belly looks good!

Siena is now offering a pork belly as a Spring/summer menu appetizer so I dropped in the other day -

The belly was cooked perfectly. Super moist, fatty, and tender in the center with a crisp exterior. The "potato foam" didn't really add anything to the dish and was grossly under-seasoned, though.

For Austin TX pork belly I still think Carillon remains king, but the cookery on the pork itself was pretty good at Siena.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:51 AM   #997
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

IMHO Siena needs to:

1) severely reduce the amount of foam they use
2) season the foam properly with salt (and possibly pepper)
3) add a bit more texture to the overall dish (maybe fried onion rings?)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #998
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
Being in the Bay Area there's a lot of Indian/Pakistan restaurants and they make the best lamb and chicken curries. For anyone in the Bay Area try out Shalimar, they are known for insanely good lamb curry, really flavorful and the meat is so tender. Also they make a fantastic tandoori chicken with mint chutney
Nice I'll keep Shalimar in mind when I visit some cousins up in the bay area.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #999
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

Quote:
Nice I'll keep Shalimar in mind when I visit some cousins up in the bay area.
you must eat there too its a great experience!

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Black Chrome Varrstoen ES2|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #1000
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Aww man to be brutally honest I don't know much about the Thai food scene in Austin. What would you recommend?

I actually went to Bombay Bistro on S.Lamar pretty recently I was hankering for some Chili's molten chocolate lava cake so I decided to take a trip to the Brodie Oaks center only to find that Chili's had closed down, so I noticed Bombay Bistro nearby and said why the hell not. I did enjoy the food. I had their traditional chicken curry and some potato dish as part of their lunch buffet which was good.

The server who was refilling drinks for everyone was extremely nice and hence I left a size-able tip, but the hostess was quite rude which left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm kind of clean-freak when it comes to restaurants and a lot of the tables were a little dirty when I went in, so I took maybe 15 or 20 seconds looking for a clean table in a mostly empty restaurant, and the hostess rudely and hurriedly tried to usher me to a table for no good reason. The restaurant was maybe at 5% capacity, there was no one else waiting at the hostess stand, and frankly speaking I can find my own damn table by myself for a lunch buffet. Her hovering over me while I was looking for a place to sit down was unnecessary.
Good to hear Chilli's closed down, haha. My friend Jeff just opened up a place called Park over there. There's one in the Domain also.

When it comes to Thai food, I think Titaya's is top of the line although I have not been back yet since they re-opened. I'm hearing smaller portions, which would piss me off, combined with higher prices. The food quality, though, was the same as before. Madam Mam's is always good, and a new place called Sap's opened up in a doomed spot in the shopping center where HEB is on Burnet and 2222. I'll have to pop by. I was always impressed by the one down South...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #1001
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Decided I would try some "bacon jerky" during lunch today.

Blechhh...

Talk about "chewing the fat"
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #1002
krown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6

Quote:

I live in Vancouver and Vij's is amazing. They opened up a small bistro beside it about 5 or 6 years ago called Rangoli. Still the same indian-fusion style but alot more casual and still as tasty. They started a retail line with their "boil in a pouch" curries, and vegetables. Amazing stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #1003
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
made some chorizo and shrimp the other day

amazing croissant from a local bakery. all the little crispy layers make it incredible
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #1004
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
steamed abalone at home

braised duck wings
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #1005
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Today I finished work early and came home to find lunch already waiting for me. Grilled peppered salmon with grilled onions, lettuce and lemon-balsmaic dressing. Best Monday ever!

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #1006
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

ok Litos - here I am

glad to be here

i eat Peruvian alot

chaufa con carne con heuvos

yep

udon and something else i cannot remember what my son ordered

nothing like a burrito mojado

i like to cook

local place called capones

chicken piccata

ok back to work - have a good day boys
      05-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #1007
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Why did I open this thread...?
I'm actually in 'diet mode' gotta get right and tight... Summer approaches!

Here's my dinner for the next month or so... It's my own recipe for a 'Super Green' nutrient packed juice:
24oz over ice

Spinich
Kale
Parsley
Ginger
Celery
Cucumber
Bosc Pear
Gala Apple

05-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #1008
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Why did I open this thread...?
I'm actually in 'diet mode' gotta get right and tight... Summer approaches!

Here's my dinner for the next month or so... It's my own recipe for a 'Super Green' nutrient packed juice:
24oz over ice

Spinich
Kale
Parsley
Ginger
Celery
Cucumber
Bosc Pear
Gala Apple

Looks good, haven't juiced in a while.

Should get back in to it.
      05-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #1009
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Looks good, haven't juiced in a while.

Should get back in to it.
Thanks! Sooooo damn delicious. I like to mix it up and create various combos!

Here's a real tasty Summer treat: watermelon, cucumber, lemon, and a tiny bit of mint. Yum!

I've been juicing for a looong time. I recently replaced my old school with this Breville:

05-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #1010
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

just got back from one of my favorite places...

Saldivias - they serve up Mollejas (which is thymus gland, or better referred to as throat)...

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #1011
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Thanks! Sooooo damn delicious. I like to mix it up and create various combos!

Here's a real tasty Summer treat: watermelon, cucumber, lemon, and a tiny bit of mint. Yum!

I've been juicing for a looong time. I recently replaced my old school with this Breville:

[IMG]
Hmm sounds good, will have to try it.

I also have a breville...good stuff.
      05-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #1012
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Made a burger last night.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0