F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Prom
GetBMWParts

04-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #111
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
This really isn't the information you lead us to believe. You're now telling me that you saved $10k in 4 years worth of work which comes out to about $208 a month. That we can all believe as I'm sure we've all worked part time jobs for more than 7 hours a week while in high school (depending on what your minimum wage is). No one is making personal attacks on you, chill out, I just get an allergic reaction when I smell bullshit. Just sounded like you were claiming that you bought a $32k car at the age of 18 with no financial help from anyone while working minimum wage. Red flag bullshit right there for me. The fact is, you had to finance the remaining $22k for 6 years which really isn't called "buying your first $32k BMW at the age of 18." I would also add that your decision was not very "Asian" of you.

No one really cares how long you've been on this forum or think you're trolling. You lead me to think that you "worked hard" and "anything is possible" while what you saved up was only $10k. You just left out too many important details for your little story Mr. White Knight. And buddy, not to kick you in the balls but working and saving up $10k at the age of 18 really ain't that hard when you live at home and don't have expenses. A wiser individual may just buy a beater and have enough to get from A to B but you chose the path of 6 years finance just so you could get a BMW.
1. I never intended to mislead anyone, sorry if you misunderstood my original statement. I did, in fact, buy a 323i by myself at age 18 with no financial aid from others, a fact I am very proud of. I never said I bought it "outright" (that was an incorrect assumption that you made) nor did I ever say that I made "well above minimum wage" (that was an incorrect assumption that Axiom made). When people say they "bought" their house, they usually reference the date they closed, not 30 years later when it is fully paid off, nor do people assume the house was bought outright so I don't know why buying a car (being the second most expensive purchase a person would typically make in a lifetime) would be any different.

2. Lolz, yeah buying a BMW as a first car was definitely not the wisest financial decision I have made but I love these cars and currently on my 4th consecutive BMW. Haven't owned anything else yet but that will change when I pick up a 2015 Corvette Stingray, which is even less "Asian" of me.

3. My point about my tenure here on this forum was simply to illustrate that I am not a troll who joined recently just to spread some BS. I have been on this forum for a very long time, albeit not as active as some of you, but I'd like to think that I am a respectable member, at least used to be when I was more active.

4. I did not intend to hide any important details but I also didn't expect so much backlash from a simple comment about it being very possible to buy a $32k BMW at age 18 either. Next time I make a comment like that, I'll be sure to post my bank statements, my FICO scores and Social Security Number as supporting evidence.

5. I know it wasn't difficult to do because I did exactly that with relative ease. I fully acknowledged in my last post that it was very easy to do in my situation, which was even more confusing to me as to why others were calling BS on something I thought wasn't very difficult to do.

6. Finally, yes again I agree that it wasn't very wise to finance a BMW at such a young age but what can I say, I really do love BMWs. For what its worth, I had paid off in just 2 years. Anxiously waiting for someone to call BS on that last statement.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #112
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
6. Finally, yes again I agree that it wasn't very wise to finance a BMW at such a young age but what can I say, I really do love BMWs. For what its worth, I had paid off in just 2 years. Anxiously waiting for someone to call BS on that last statement.

BS

Now please post bank statements, FICO score and SSN just to prove its you. No pertinent information to be blacked out please.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #113
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
BS

Now please post bank statements, FICO score and SSN just to prove its you. No pertinent information to be blacked out please.
LOL I was an elite college bound 18 y.o., and my first car was at 19 and had fenders rusted through, 4-spd manual, and sometimes skipped timing. Believe me, I wasn't and am not stupid, but there is no way I could have scraped enough money together to buy even a used BMW. I think what's missing is where the parents gave money--maybe not for the car specifically, and so technically, the child bought a car with their own money, that which still was given by their parents.

C'mon now I already had a 6-figure job when I bought the 335i, and it took me 34 mos. to pay it off. I suppose I could have paid cash, but it would have been too risky for me back then.

Honestly when my kid is 18 I want them worried about school and dating, not new flashy cars, but that's me.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #114
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I think what's missing is where the parents gave money--maybe not for the car specifically, and so technically, the child bought a car with their own money, that which still was given by their parents.
THIS.

I've seen plenty of cases where young people/college students insist that they bought things with their own money, while leaving out other very relevant details. Sometimes that deception is intentional, and sometimes it's simply pure ignorance, they've been brought up in a certain kind of environment, as have their equally lucky peers, and have nothing to compare it to; they just dont know any better.

In college I knew a kid who had a very privileged upbringing, school, books, dorm, food, car,etc. was all paid for by rich dad who was a senior bank executive, and during summers the kid had a guaranteed job at the bank where he was paid a VERY generous amount for doing basic admin stuff, nothing requiring smarts or hard work.

Since he had no other expenses, that kid would use that money to buy nice electronic toys, and would insist to anyone who asked that he was not entitled, and bought that stuff, it wasnt given to him. It wasn't literally given to him the same way as the new Camaro his dad bought him, so he really thought that distinction should earn him respect.

He had almost no appreciation that many others had to use what money they earned in the summer (from a job they actually had to interview for, gasp!) to buy necessities like books, transit passes, etc.

Lots of kids nowadays who were born on 3rd base, manage to make the short sprint to home under their own power, and insist their run represents the same effort and accomplishment as someone who had to start by swinging at a pitch, and then crossing all the bases.
      04-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #115
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
THIS.

I've seen plenty of cases where young people/college students insist that they bought things with their own money, while leaving out other very relevant details. Sometimes that deception is intentional, and sometimes it's simply pure ignorance, they've been brought up in a certain kind of environment, as have their equally lucky peers, and have nothing to compare it to; they just dont know any better.

In college I knew a kid who had a very privileged upbringing, school, books, dorm, food, car,etc. was all paid for by rich dad who was a senior bank executive, and during summers the kid had a guaranteed job at the bank where he was paid a VERY generous amount for doing basic admin stuff, nothing requiring smarts or hard work.

Since he had no other expenses, that kid would use that money to buy nice electronic toys, and would insist to anyone who asked that he was not entitled, and bought that stuff, it wasnt given to him. It wasn't literally given to him the same way as the new Camaro his dad bought him, so he really thought that distinction should earn him respect.

He had almost no appreciation that many others had to use what money they earned in the summer (from a job they actually had to interview for, gasp!) to buy necessities like books, transit passes, etc.

Lots of kids nowadays who were born on 3rd base, manage to make the short sprint to home under their own power, and insist their run represents the same effort and accomplishment as someone who had to start by swinging at a pitch, and then crossing all the bases.
x1000
      04-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #116
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

John 070 and MiddleAgedAl, both of you make excellent points and I agree that many young people, whether intentional or not, may believe they have paid for something themselves just by receiving money that was intended for some other purpose.

However, I can assure you that I was not one of these people. Since I started working at age 14, I have never received money/allowance for any purpose. Sure, I lived at home and food/shelter was provided but I did not receive any form of money for anything else. If I wanted to have a meal outside of home and hang out with my friends, that was paid for with my own money that I earned myself. I don't know how many times or how many other ways I can say this but my car and all its associated bills were paid for by myself without any financial aid.

Seems like everyone is just trying to poke holes in my story and find some magical "Easy Button" for what I was able to accomplish but I assure you, you won't find one. Like I said from the beginning, just work hard and save up. The only "assistance" that I received was from my parents since they provided food/shelter. Beyond that, I paid for everything else myself. Yes, that includes college tuition, books, etc (anyone want to call BS on that too?)

I think it is easier and more believable to just assume that my parents are rich and must have helped pay for my car but that couldn't be further from the truth. Both my parents were working class (mother is a factory seamstress and father is a waiter) and really could not afford to give me expendable cash so that forced me to learn to be self-sufficient. So while buying a BMW at such a young age is probably the dumbest thing you can do financially, I am still quite proud to have done so by myself. At this point, I have realized that there isn't anything else I can say to change your minds since you are convinced that there must be some sort of hidden shortcut that I used.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #117
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
THIS.

I like this analogy - I hope you dont mind if I borrow it in the future
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #118
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think it is easier and more believable to just assume that my parents are rich and must have helped pay for my car but that couldn't be further from the truth. Both my parents were working class (mother is a factory seamstress and father is a waiter) and really could not afford to give me expendable cash so that forced me to learn to be self-sufficient. So while buying a BMW at such a young age is probably the dumbest thing you can do financially, I am still quite proud to have done so by myself. At this point, I have realized that there isn't anything else I can say to change your minds since you are convinced that there must be some sort of hidden shortcut that I used.
If your parents were working class, it just seems less plausible that they would happily co-sign the required loan for a car like that, given they probably truly appreciate the value of a dollar. You said the car was not bought outright with cash, so a bank probably wouldn't lend money to an 18 year old with no credit history without a co-signer.

Having come from working class roots myself, there's no way in hell I'd co-sign a loan for my kid when they were 18 to buy a BMW, when I know from experience that doing so is effectively enabling my kid to waste money extravagantly. I'd be accompanying them to the nearest used car lot to find an old E30 or something they can pay cash for, and still have fun driving.
      04-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #119
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
I like this analogy - I hope you dont mind if I borrow it in the future
Please go ahead, if you search for born on 3rd base you'll find it's not an entirely original composition on my part. Plagiarism is the purest form of flattery, and I aim to flatter !
      04-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #120
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

Either go or not, but definitely meet your friends afterwards (leave the car at home) and make bad decisions. This is what prom night is all about and what I remember most (least) about mine. Go big or go home, just make sure everyone gets home eventually.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #121
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Please go ahead, if you search for born on 3rd base you'll find it's not an entirely original composition on my part. Plagiarism is the purest form of flattery, and I aim to flatter !
haha well thanks for the reference, I did google it and see there's plenty of reference. Sometimes I think I live under a rock
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #122
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

Awesome analogy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #123
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Ok why does it matter so what if the girl didn't pay for it? And why should it matter?! Suspend your disbelief for a minute and stop being so accusatory.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #124
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
I did, in fact, buy a 323i by myself at age 18 with no financial aid from others
      04-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #125
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
Ok why does it matter so what if the girl didn't pay for it? And why should it matter?! Suspend your disbelief for a minute and stop being so accusatory.
The first girl (OP) has already admitted that parents bought her the car. We're all very happy for her. As for the second girl, she's still claiming she bought her first $32k BMW at 18, working minimum wage and not getting any "financial aid", what ever that word means to her.

The 2nd girl also claimed that she wouldn't "respond to this matter anymore," but yet here we are, 2 responses later and still dishing out the same old contradicting "facts" about how easy it is to ball a Bimmer in high school.

We're dealing with two different girls here, I think lol.
      04-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #126
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I would kill myself if I was only making $50/hr in high school.
Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, love it...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #127
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Are you bitter because you drive Audis? I would be upset too.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #128
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Ya I'm upset that my last three BMW's have been shit-boxes and I'm waiting for my X3's lease to be up so I can go get a Macan.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #129
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
What do you have against Audis? I wanted a Q7, but they were out of my price range so settled for an X5. My wife wanted an A5, but same story: settled for a 135i. Having Audis would do the opposite of make me bitter.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #130
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Ya I'm upset that my last three BMW's have been shit-boxes and I'm waiting for my X3's lease to be up so I can go get a Macan.
You think BMWs are quality nighmares but you own tarted up VWs. Ok.
The only thing worse than the brand itself are the arrogant, clueless drivers.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #131
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Then again, BMW has been branded with the biggest amount of asshole drivers, so really that's not the most valid argument.

I know this because I am an asshole, on BMW's behalf, the car came second though.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #132
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Quote:
All of my VAG vehicles have been very, very reliable.
Appreciate 0