BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #199
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
If I drove the M3 in winter I'd consider Redline 5w-40 or Xw-50.
I put Redline 0w-40 in my e46 during winter.
Changing oil in a couple of weeks at a proper M garage (no BMW official thou). I'll have a chat with him regarding a slightly lighter oil such as mobile 1w40, interesting to see what he says given this is Nordic climate!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 03:34 AM   #200
EliteM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Hear are the blackstone results. Needless to say, I am thrilled with the results! I have just been following bmw's 15k mile service intervals and using 10w60 as directed.
Attached Images

11-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #201
SECOND2NONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo e46 m3, 2005 e55 amg

Reading another thread gave a interesting persepctive on the bearing issue.. Is seems like the bearing arent the real problem.. Its the rods.. Ill start a new thread soon
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #202
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECOND2NONE View Post
Reading another thread gave a interesting persepctive on the bearing issue.. Is seems like the bearing arent the real problem.. Its the rods.. Ill start a new thread soon
The problem goes hand in hand, it should have better rods but clearance is related to quality of rod. Run carrillo rods at .001 clearance and see what happens.
      11-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #203
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteM3 View Post
Hear are the blackstone results. Needless to say, I am thrilled with the results! I have just been following bmw's 15k mile service intervals and using 10w60 as directed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteM3 View Post
I took my car into a very popular Bay Area bow mechanic and he shared that he has only encountered a single S85 M5 with a bearing problem.

While he agrees that the bearing clearance is to blame, the percentages of failed motors is so low, he hesitates to recommend proactive replacement without proof of premature failure.

I have simply been following manufactures recommended 15k mile oil intervals and have ~78k miles on the engine. I let the car idle for probably 5 seconds in the morning before driving off, and try to keep it under 3500 RPM until warm.

Your sir are making me an optimist...over 78k on your engine (allot of miles) , using 10W60 ( oil that others are concerned is too thick) , and changing oil every 15k miles ( BMW recommendation, but way to long in most opinions) and yet ...Blackstone looking good!!
Maybe, just maybe, this is the majority of S65 engines out there??????

Last edited by Sinful; 11-15-2014 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #204
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Im duplicating this from the registry thread, but wanted to show what I found in case some are subscribed to just one thread.

Heres my 2 cents.

2008 e93 m3, 48k miles, always babied, avg 7k miles per year and followed oil change interval, in fact went early most times at least once per year. Never tracked, no super charger.

I read this thread and got paranoid. Decided to ask for the bearing change with some other work I was having done.

Here is what they looked like. I think they speak for themselves. Unlike others, I have very even bearing wear on all of them, but the wear is bad through the babbit layer. So glad I found this thread and took action as I want to keep my car for 10 years or more if possible.

I want to thank those of you who posted and helped me prevent a disaster.
Attached Images

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #205
Sinful
Banned
Rep

I started this thread and after 1.5 years of ownership, I am happy to say I sold my car yesterday.
For the price we paid for the BMW M3 we should expect/demand better reliability. The costs are too high in regard to parts, maintenance, service and to own this car without a warranty is crazy. Which would be okay if it was reliable, but known flaws in engineering at top dollar is not for me and is nearing IMOP a rip off. I just could not see myself owning a car that I would have to keep a warranty on for the full time I owned it. I decided that honestly it is not worth the risk nor trouble....I dont trust BMW anymore and will probably never buy a foreign car again. At least if an American car breaks the cost to replace even the engine is half that of the foreign car.

Good Luck everyone! Going to have allot of exterior mods up for sale:
Akrapovic slip on, modecarbon front lip V2, ARKYM rear diffuser, plus all the typical stuff from IND black front grill side markers, etc etc. All bought brand new...PM me if your interested or wait for the threads....
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #206
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulM3 View Post
I started this thread and after 1.5 years of ownership, I am happy to say I sold my car yesterday.
For the price we paid for the BMW M3 we should expect/demand better reliability. The costs are too high in regard to parts, maintenance, service and to own this car without a warranty is crazy. Which would be okay if it was reliable, but known flaws in engineering at top dollar is not for me and is nearing IMOP a rip off. I just could not see myself owning a car that I would have to keep a warranty on for the full time I owned it. I decided that honestly it is not worth the risk nor trouble....I dont trust BMW anymore and will probably never buy a foreign car again. At least if an American car breaks the cost to replace even the engine is half that of the foreign car.

Good Luck everyone! Going to have allot of exterior mods up for sale:
Akrapovic slip on, modecarbon front lip V2, ARKYM rear diffuser, plus all the typical stuff from IND black front grill side markers, etc etc. All bought brand new...PM me if your interested or wait for the threads....

Did your car ever break down and leave you stranded? If not I'd say you did okay and your fears went unwarranted. Bmw are very reliable when maintained and remember this forum represents a very small ownership population only stating issues. Nevertheless; good luck. What's next?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #207
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

E46 M3 have rod bearing issues as well. There was a recall but people are replacing them again as the mileage piles up. Might make these cars cheaper for the DIYer. It's $500 in parts, $700 if you use ARPs.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #208
gatty1303
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

This thread is depressing. Was really looking forward to getting an m3 after I sold my boss. Now I'm not so sure. May stick with American muscle cars. Don't feel like dealing with tearing into a 20k motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #209
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatty1303 View Post
This thread is depressing. Was really looking forward to getting an m3 after I sold my boss. Now I'm not so sure. May stick with American muscle cars. Don't feel like dealing with tearing into a 20k motor.
You need to get the new Shelby GT350. That's the car many here are looking at.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:38 AM   #210
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I hear you man and yes the bearing side is certainly worth being aware of and handle the car accordingly.
However we shouldn't forget that there is another side on the coin with loads of cars running for ages without any problems...http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682601

Just want to try make sure you end up as one of them...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #211
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Im duplicating this from the registry thread, but wanted to show what I found in case some are subscribed to just one thread.

Heres my 2 cents.

2008 e93 m3, 48k miles, always babied, avg 7k miles per year and followed oil change interval, in fact went early most times at least once per year. Never tracked, no super charger.

I read this thread and got paranoid. Decided to ask for the bearing change with some other work I was having done.

Here is what they looked like. I think they speak for themselves. Unlike others, I have very even bearing wear on all of them, but the wear is bad through the babbit layer. So glad I found this thread and took action as I want to keep my car for 10 years or more if possible.

Wow !
These bearings are looking bad !
Good from you that you replaced them ,and.....(I was reading your PM) so I wanted to say...thank you for the kind words in your PM !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #212
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You need to get the new Shelby GT350. That's the car many here are looking at.

There are more people looking at the GT350 than Ford will probably manufacture
      11-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #213
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post

Heres my 2 cents.

Where did you get the job done?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #214
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Technica Motorsports in Atlanta

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #215
Sinful
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Agreed ^^ The M3 is an amazing car and if the engine and transmission had a lower replacement cost I would probably still be in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Did your car ever break down and leave you stranded? If not I'd say you did okay and your fears went unwarranted. Bmw are very reliable when maintained and remember this forum represents a very small ownership population only stating issues. Nevertheless; good luck. What's next?
I went back to an engine that I am familiar with and that I know is bullet proof. The LS3 engine, essentially used as the supercharged engine in the ZR1 and used in all Corvette C6s. I honestly used to own a 2008 and I am glad to go back. Ended up buying a 2012 Grand Sport Centennial Edition Corvette. Dry sump, magnetic ride, 436+ HP 428 Ft/Lb (really missed this) and loaded with all the goodies. Easy to modify and bullet proof. On top of that if it does grenade the engine costs 8k instead of 24k.

This is the Centennial Edition ( its completely blacked out!) This is not my car but I have not taken pics yet and it looks just like it...
Interior is black leather and suede and I honestly do not see the interior of the BMW as being better. I am not a M3 hater, I honestly loved the smooth transitions, and high rev engine noise, but the risk to reward for me did not make sense.

Last edited by Sinful; 11-21-2014 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0