BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #45
Ben Ingraham
On-Ramp Speedway Champion
Rep
Drives: 2009 SS E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Yeah if 'sound' is all you care about you'll probably have remorse. If everything else performance is what you like you'll probably love your new F8x way more.
It's not the sound. Not many cars are as small and come with a V8. I had an RS4 and there is something the Germans got right when they mix a V8 with small sedan. It's just right.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #46
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Ingraham View Post
It's not the sound. Not many cars are as small and come with a V8. I had an RS4 and there is something the Germans got right when they mix a V8 with small sedan. It's just right.
I dunno I've owned 2 E9x and the F8x is better in all categories besides sound. *shrug* Unless you're a track junky looking for linear power the F8x is a far superior car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #47
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Yeah if 'sound' is all you care about you'll probably have remorse. If everything else performance is what you like you'll probably love your new F8x way more.
Dont care just about sound, but its a big part of driving a sports car. All of these cars, e9x or f8x are far faster than one needs on the street any way you slice it.

I didnt think a car could sound worse than the e46 m3, but BMW seemed to have trumped themselves. Other companies can make turbo cars sound good, and even the 335 was a nice sounding car. Why the f8x m3/4 isnt is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #48
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
You think an E9x M3 is a "small" car?????????? Compared to what? A schoolbus?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #49
Ben Ingraham
On-Ramp Speedway Champion
Rep
Drives: 2009 SS E90 M3

Relatively small, yes. E9X series are the entry level cars from BMW. M3 not being entry of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #50
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Relatively small, yes. E9X series are the entry level cars from BMW. M3 not being entry of course.
Small by today's standard ruling out really only the vette. But in general still a big car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #51
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Small by today's standard ruling out really only the vette. But in general still a big car.
For a performance car the M3 is extremely big, at the upper end of the size scale. There's a whole lot of sporty coupes that are much smaller and lighter than an M3. And even if you go by sedan standards, you still get cars like STI and EVO that are quite a bit smaller. The M3 is a big heavy car. The unfortunate fact is that a modern 3 series is as big as a 10 year old 5 series, and actually bigger than the original E23 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #52
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
i care about
-sound
-engine power
-handling
-looks
-made well (within reason)

IMO a car is not complete until it checks all those boxes FOR ME.

the F80 sounds like shit IMO, the F10 V8 M5 also doesn't sound very good.

cars i am looking at to replace my E92. C7 corvette, or 911S. Its not just a V8 thing, clearly.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
For a performance car the M3 is extremely big, at the upper end of the size scale. There's a whole lot of sporty coupes that are much smaller and lighter than an M3. And even if you go by sedan standards, you still get cars like STI and EVO that are quite a bit smaller. The M3 is a big heavy car. The unfortunate fact is that a modern 3 series is as big as a 10 year old 5 series, and actually bigger than the original E23 7 series.
we are talking abour sedan with v8 correct, neither of those mentioned have one.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #54
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldnt say extremely big, a Challenger is a big car. the M3 isnt huge, but isnt small.

I mean a Lamborghini is huge or even a GTR. So I wont go off saying the M3 is extremely big. compared to a lot of performance cars out in todays world.

I would say it sits as a medium size.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #55
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i care about
-sound
-engine power
-handling
-looks

cars i am looking at to replace my E92. C7 corvette, or 911S. Its not just a V8 thing, clearly.
so..
-sound e92 hands down WITH aftermarket exhaust
-engine power f80
-handling f80
-looks f80
-made well f80

Seems like an easy choice but FOR YOU since you need all 5 I would keep the e92 I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #56
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i care about
-sound
-engine power
-handling
-looks

so..
-engine power f80
-handling f80
-looks f80
-made well f80

Seems like an easy choice but FOR YOU since you need all 5 I would keep the e92 I guess.
I mean if I was spending 20k I wouldn't expect to check all the boxes. But at 70k I don't think it's to much to ask for a car that sounds as good as it looks or performs.

I also don't plan on holding onto my e92. Looking for a performance bump and bump in looks.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 02:43 AM   #57
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
now is an excellent time to be an E9x M3 owner for the value oriented buyers. Many wealthier people who only want the latest fastest most expensive and most exclusive car on the market have already moved on to Vettes, 911, F80 M3, GTR, R8, etc.... So used E9x M3 are going for cheap on the used car market, and there are killer deals on used mods too. I'm picking up coilovers and a BBK for my car over the winter and I'm gonna put them on next spring before track season starts. Might also try to do rod bearings and subframe/diff bushings to get rid of the remaining weaknesses of the car.
Who killed Petros and is now posting under his name? There isn't a single mention of bearings or how inferior it is to his 335.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 03:03 AM   #58
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
so..
-engine power f80
-handling f80
-looks f80
-made well f80

A lot of this is subjective. I prefer the (modded) steering of the E9x and think it looks better, too. As far as well-made, I'm guessing you mean parts quality and fitment, so the cars should be tied in this regard.

Power, too, can be matched/surpassed with a blower while keeping the linear power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 03:36 AM   #59
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:
I don't feel comfortable keeping my current E92 long term. I feel the DCT ticking time bomb and eventually a huge cost to repair. I have an F80 ordered but it's been so delayed I hardly even want it anymore. I knew I should have bought another 6MT E92!
This is the exact reason why i got my car in 6 Speed and not a DCT time bomb.
My friend has a 2011 E92 DCT 71K miles (An okay amount of miles) but his DCT failed and ended up needing a new Transmission. Ohh best part it's $11,000.00 for a new installed DCT. So if you already bought/ordered F80 in 6speed i'd keep that. or extended warranty on the DCT and do the rod bearings. Then after Pcar maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 04:00 AM   #60
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so..
-engine power f80
-handling f80
-looks f80
-made well f80

Built quality on F80 sucks. Just close the doors on a F80 or F82 then go to a E92 or E90 and close the doors. When you close the door on a F80 it feels cheaper and less refine then a E92.
Electric steering is a fail and never liked it on any car.
Looks it's nice but not nice enough for me to jump into another M/// rather get a Lp640 or a 997 GT2.
Engine power doesn't even matter anymore in todays standpoint because cars are released left and right. So it's always a hunt for more power. What happens when you own a F80 and a New C63 pulls right next to you? yea need more power aha. i've owned both the C63 Coupe (Before sandy) and M3 Now. What i can tell you is yes you feel boss when you shit on people like i did with my C63 when against slower cars but like i said there are always something faster and greater out their in the world. So when sandy hit i realized that and went into a car that's id appreciate more in the sense of a package and not performance because if you want performance, your pockets better be DEEP! you'll need a new car every week. SO if i ever wanted more power and i own a E92 ill Supercharge rather then trade and put more money on a F80/F82.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #61
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
A lot of this is subjective. I prefer the (modded) steering of the E9x and think it looks better, too. As far as well-made, I'm guessing you mean parts quality and fitment, so the cars should be tied in this regard.

Power, too, can be matched/surpassed with a blower while keeping the linear power delivery.
The interior quality of the F80 is far superior to the E9x. At least from looks and feel. I guess only time will tell if it really lasts. I've had 2 e9x and I don't think the quality is that great anyway.

Yes if you add 15k in mods to your E92 you can beat up on an F8x. Until they do 6k in turbo upgrades, downpipes, and a tune. I'm guessing the results will be an E9x smashing. I dont care for linear power delivery like some due but I guess as you said that's preference.

IMO the S55 will be more reliable at these power levels as it's designed for boost.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #62
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
This is the exact reason why i got my car in 6 Speed and not a DCT time bomb.
My friend has a 2011 E92 DCT 71K miles (An okay amount of miles) but his DCT failed and ended up needing a new Transmission. Ohh best part it's $11,000.00 for a new installed DCT. So if you already bought/ordered F80 in 6speed i'd keep that. or extended warranty on the DCT and do the rod bearings. Then after Pcar maybe?
Yeah I do have a 6MT F80 ordered. It's been delayed but was just told it should leave on a ship next week!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #63
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I do have a 6MT F80 ordered. It's been delayed but was just told it should leave on a ship next week!
Great news, enjoy the car in good health and tell us all about it once you get it and drive!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #64
gabadoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 Melbourne Red

Quote:
The interior quality of the F80 is far superior to the E9x. At least from looks and feel. I guess only time will tell if it really lasts. I've had 2 e9x and I don't think the quality is that great anyway.

Yes if you add 15k in mods to your E92 you can beat up on an F8x. Until they do 6k in turbo upgrades, downpipes, and a tune. I'm guessing the results will be an E9x smashing. I dont care for linear power delivery like some due but I guess as you said that's preference.

IMO the S55 will be more reliable at these power levels as it's designed for boost.
Dunno. ESS 625 is now 8995 installed. Video last week showed maxed out jb4 with all current bells and whistles getting walked easy @ SS. If you are a lease buyer, then sure go with the latest and greatest, cause that is what leasees do. New car is nice, just not 75k nice to me as a buyer.

From a value / ownership perspective, a used e9x is quite a compelling package. 30-40k versus 70-80k is a huge difference.

And to keep things honest, I haven't pulled the trigger on the SC due to bearings issue. Relevant or not.

Gabe
      11-01-2014, 01:53 AM   #65
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

IDK man i love the my E92 interior. I dont understand what people see in the new F80 interior. Putting aside the build quality, I love the layout of the interior of the E92 more.

Again i am not saying this because i am jealous of the new car, or plan on keeping my E92. I am ordering a new car next year and cant wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:43 AM   #66
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Everyone plans to keep their car forever... until they dont
My BMW friends and I all agreed that we'd get the new F8x but at the same time keep our E9x's as a collection... We did order our F8x's and the E9x's are almost all gone..
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0