NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #266
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Head back now and now the rebuilding can begin WOOTTT.

Took about two weeks for all the head work to be completed and another two to have it reinstalled along with all the other work.

NorCal drive organizer guy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #267
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #268
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

SHE LIVESSSS AGAIN

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #269
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

CSL Cabin filter goes in to save a WHOPING 8LB...

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #270
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Last set of images of the brackets that were fabricated to make the CSL door panels and seat delete fit correctly. Amazing work was done to get it all tight and locked down.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #271
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Yes Yes Yes
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #272
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Last update for the day. I picked up the car and fired her up and notice that she has a slight growl now, almost V8-esk. This is not bad but as it has been a while the only thing I can think of is it might be the valves giving it more GRRRR. Driving the whole 15 miles home the car felt very dialed in, very responsive and just happy. Now keep in mind I still have no tune installed and am running all CSL software. When I accelerated on to the freeway the car on the freeway just kept going like a freight train as I hit 80 and then slowed down.

I am leading a drive up HWY 1 on Sunday so I will report back the impressions of the head work, valves if the sound is still there, and CSL king pins being installed.

Now that the CSL is effectively done the way I want it I can now enjoy driving the car for miles of fun. The new focus right now is on the GTR project to have it done by 2016 for the E46 M3 event have planned.

Once that car is done I will focus on my new DAD car I picked up over the weekend:

See here journey home here:

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #273
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

CSL Valves:

As we all know the CSL had different exhaust valves. What I have noticed after putting on about 280 miles is the car has a deeper idle note. As mentioned in m build thread, almost has a V8 tone to the exhaust now. This of course could all be in my head but that is what it sounds like. As for performance I could not tell you a difference as the car goes like a scolded cat. On the drive the car pulled hard out of the corners and was not lacking in power. One of the cars behind me was a 1M and I could keep a good lead on him out of the corners.

Conclusion: increase in power is unknown but the sound note has a definite change.

CSL King Pins (Front Spindles)

As I am not sure what the major differences are between the CSL and non CSL kingpins are I can’t comment how the setup changed. What I can say is the feel and track of the car through the corners is definitely sharper. I will do my best to explain.

Track: This might be all mental / subjective but the front of the car feels wider. By this I mean you can feel the front wheels through the steering wheel as if you have a wider track. On the very tight section I could feel where the edge of the wheel was and know that it would GRIP where I put it. I should note by wider we may be talking MM but if MM is all is needed than dang.

DSC was not upset at all with the change. Even though I have the older DSC and CSL steering rack, DSC was not any more invasive as it normally is.

Conclusion: car has more feel on what the front wheels are doing and front grip seems to have increased slightly. I will note this could be all perception but the change was worth it from what I can tell.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #274
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Recent updates.

Beginning of September I arranged for those who wanted to get into the capitol air show and showcase their car. After the show ended we could go and get images with the planes. While at the show I noticed I had smoke coming from around the secondary air pump. As I just got the car back this was a HELL NO! More in a minute after images.

Took the car back to the shop and found out the smoke was caused by a missing gasket on the head that was dripping oil. Fixed the seal and at the same time my SMG position sensor and DSC sensors both went out. UG, when it rains it poors. Got those both fixed and then a bank 1 o2 went out. Serious, got to love modding.

After all that the latest issues now are airbag light which i have to trace down to see which one is mad, and the rear o2 went out. Even with the 02 issue and airbag lights the car was ready to go on the Mammoth / Yosemite trip I had planned for the month.

This weekend was about 600 miles of fun roads and sigh seeing. The drive sections were a lot of the road I lead people on for Lake Tahoe. All I can say is WOW this car is amazing. Now keep in mind I have yet to put a tune on the car and all I have is stock CSL everything.

Turn after turn all I could do was smile as the car just flew across the road. I have always loved this car but after this trip I could not stop thinking about when I could do a drive again. For fun one of the friend on the trip had is fully option and lighted (less super charger) Dinan E39 M5 do a little head to head race. We did a 4th gear pull and we were dead even till he had to shift. After that I was still going and then kept going. Now if I had a tune I might have been able to pull a little.

Now the next steps are to clear all the little faults and do all the finishing touches. This trip also made me fall out of love in doing the GTR project. I already post about this in the thread.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #275
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
so nice!
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #276
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Amazing a update after so long being MIA. I know I have been a bad M owner. Car sat for about 3 months as I am starting a new adventure in life with leading offroad groups on top of being a new dad. Needless to say the M3 got little love so I fully expect 10 lashings for it.

So what is new? Well all those little finishing touches that always linger and don't take a long time to do.

1. Removed the standard roof rail. Was a pain as the shop glued the old rail in but got it out.

2. CSL Roof rail in

Vanity items so flame away
3. Side emblems on

4. Door sills

5. After going around with the side airbag connections going on and off I finally said F-it and went fully committed to the to the removal. Cut off the OE connectors and soldiered the jumpers in. No more light thanks to Terra resting it yet again.

New adventure
For those who are not off roading you will be like big deal but for those of you who offroad I have fully built the Raptor with a 3.5 shock setup all the way around along with other goodies.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #277
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

very nice color

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #278
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So this is silly. All waxed, wheels cleaned and wax, brakes even waxed for a 600 mile drive to socal... Yes I am silly but oh well. It was really clean for 10 miles at least right??

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #279
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Super dooper!
Still have your e90 rear seats to sell?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #280
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, Marco in SF has them. Ilikebmxbikes is the screen name on this forum.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:34 PM   #281
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Recently myself and another M3 had a article done for BMW Performance Magazine out of the UK. It was a joint article as we both went the way of OE CSL. The article was in the April edition of this year. Below is the article scanned in.

Appreciate 2
      05-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #282
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This last weekend I lead a drive to Bimmerfest in SoCal. Drive down the car was running flawless until I tripped a airbag light again UG. Found out later passenger side was the cause so need to fix that now GRRR.

I also recently installed a Frank Smith Tune. OMG does it wake up all the CSL parts. Car power delivery feels effortless and the car has more than enough power to reach.. well let's say I went pass the "limiter". Thanks to Ejaz an 0-60 Motorsports for the tune.

This leads me to some disappointment. Not in the car but in what I thought Bimmerfest was about. At the urging of my friends I entered into the battle of the bimmeres modified M division. Let's say I am never doing a judging event again. The judge had no clue what a CSL was and only judge the car on what he could see. This is where the disappointment comes in. Judging at a "enthusiasts" event you would think they know the cars and ask questions. Nope FLASH and non BMW bolt ones with big stereos win all the top places. Rather sad to see that stance and crap mods is what from my observation is the state of a lot of BMWs. Now I know that we on this forums are a small percentage of the BMW modding group, and going the CSL route is even a smaller set of that. But was kind of sad to see the car walked passed without a second glance for a E36 325 with a wide body, airbags, and wrapped in some sort of razzle dazzle geometric pattern. Oh well I enjoy the car and that is why I built it.

Here is some images of the drive down and back

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 12:37 AM   #283
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Yes, Marco in SF has them. Ilikebmxbikes is the screen name on this forum.
that was a cool read.
i tried searching his name of the in the search tab, couldn't find a direct link to ask him about the seat
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #284
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Hey man, I definitely appreciate your build! Your car looks great! If I was at bimmerfest, I definitely would have been all over it.

IG: @gearheadtwins
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #285
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Battle of the bimmers. One person besides me got a pic of it and was in our Norcal drive down group =)

Appreciate 1
      06-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #286
m3_aaron
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Congrats on the PBMW feature, very well deserved