BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

03-08-2024, 10:14 AM   #1
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
HELP: OBDII Port not connecting to any scan tool but has power

Hey Everyone,

After doing extensive searches all throughout the forum, I am still having an issue trying to connecting my OBDII port. I have tried to connect it through ISTA+, INPA, and multiple obd scan tools. I get no communication error. I also failed NJ inspection because they could not read the OBDII port. My bluetooth obd was able to partially connect with my phone but I have read those are different pins it's pulling data from and not connecting to my ECU.

My car is 2011 M3 E93. I do have valvetronic exhaust and I did add the Andream CIC MMI Carplay and I thought that was the culprit. Other than that, car is stock.

Things I have tried to source the issue:

1. Completely disconnect MMI carplay and put stock CIC connections back on
2. Checked all OBDII Port Pins (I found #4 was stuck so i replaced pin and the OBDII port socket to be safe)
3. Checked Power to pin #16 (both on and off) and Ground pins (#4 and #5) at the OBDII port (I have power)
4. Check OBDII port fuse which is fine
5. Checked battery (voltage on and off is where it should be and car is always plugged into ctek agm battery tender as I do not use during winter months)

Issues I have found:

1. Pin #6 and #14 does not have continuity (tried with car off, multimeter negative end to 6 and positive end to 14 and i do not get a reading). I know these are the pins used to read data (CAN HI and CAN LO) for Inspection so the issue has to be there but not sure where to go from here?
2. Passenger Airbag Light came on and I have a Passenger Restraint System Malfunction (I have a feeling this is a separate issue and has to do with the sensor on the passenger seat but need to pull the error code to determine which I can't. I did put a good amount of pressure on the seat with my knee while checking a fuse and obdii port from the passenger side when I was diagnosing the car and that's when the malfunction came up for the first time so might be bad sensor)

My suspicion:

1. I have read that JBE Module can be a culprit of this issue but my car starts and runs without any issue, all windows, wipers, lights, headlights, interior lights, dash, cluster and everything is working except OBDII port connection
2. I have also read FRM module could be a culprit as well?

Any ideas where to continue to diagnose from here? I can't connect to anything to read error codes which makes this very difficult.

Appreciate any insight, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 05:48 PM   #2
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:01 PM   #3
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Resolved! Even after replacing pin #14 (K CAN Line) and the OBD II port, connection was still loose. Fixed the connection and now ISTA and INPA are working again!
Appreciate 1