F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW and Toyota Agree to Research Collaboration in Environment-friendly Technologies
GetBMWParts

12-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #23
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I don't think they'll out BMW by name but I could see them saying something about it being from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #24
constantin
Lieutenant
Madagascar
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Sale pending.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Muthamid View Post
Until yesterday i supported BMW and MB for having mid-size powerfull diesel engines that you cannot find in a Skoda... like VW Group does for instance!
(having an Audi and a Skoda/Seat with the same engines is ridiculous.... only the leather of your seats are different...)

I think this is a real bad move for BMW... less exclusive = less customers

I was thinking in having a new F20 20d M-Pack in 2012 but i refuse to have a Lexus IS / Toyota Avensis with the same engine as mine...

With this agreement i made my mind and i will go for the new 2012 MB A-Class 220CDI, at least it will be an exclusive one...

Kind regards BMW!
Actually, by its very defintion less exclusivity = more customers...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #26
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Muthamid View Post
Until yesterday i supported BMW and MB for having mid-size powerfull diesel engines that you cannot find in a Skoda... like VW Group does for instance!
(having an Audi and a Skoda/Seat with the same engines is ridiculous.... only the leather of your seats are different...)

I think this is a real bad move for BMW... less exclusive = less customers

I was thinking in having a new F20 20d M-Pack in 2012 but i refuse to have a Lexus IS / Toyota Avensis with the same engine as mine...

With this agreement i made my mind and i will go for the new 2012 MB A-Class 220CDI, at least it will be an exclusive one...

Kind regards BMW!
So you buy a car based on the image of the brand instead of how it drives? Cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #27
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

The only winner I see in this deal is Toyota. They are already too large of a car maker and helping them grow larger is in nobody's best interest. I don't see that BMW really has anything to gain here.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #28
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

It's about affection... In my case anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #29
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Power111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresousa View Post
Just make hybrids decent looking, please!
exaclty, with BMW involved now i dont think this will be a problem.
I hope so.
      12-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #30
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I always referenced the crossfire and a chicks car. Or a homosexuals car. I'm not judging you, but it seems like you should have been driving that crossfire a long time ago.

You had a 335 rear bumper and exhuast on your 325? Wow..I'm flattered.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #31
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep

Crossfire is a girls car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:49 AM   #32
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Toyota are you kidding me?

My least favorite brand on this planet.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #33
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep

Great replies everyone.

I got your pm too. Thanks, great info.

I fly out in a few hours, wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #34
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
The only winner I see in this deal is Toyota. They are already too large of a car maker and helping them grow larger is in nobody's best interest. I don't see that BMW really has anything to gain here.
The folks at BMW aren't retards. I'm sure the Munich folks have carefully considered all the pros and cons of any collaboration with Toyota before agreeing to this move. As a for-profit venture, BMW isn't simply going to give away diesel engines for free to Toyota without any kind of substantial benefit in return.

I'm more concerned with how long this joint-venture can last. BMW and Toyota have quite different corporate cultures and this is often a big stumbling block. Volkswagen and Suzuki had an agreement for example, one that is falling apart as we speak. I think Honda would have made a better partner. Since Honda has an entreprenuerial spirit focusing on innovation and advanced technology, something which BMW also aspires for. Whereas Toyota has always been more bureaucratic and stuffy, those things are not well suited to the sort of horizontal management that BMW practices.

Still, Toyota's newly unveiled motto is to make their cars "fun to drive" again, and if they are serious about that, then they can certainly learn a thing or two from BMW in that department. And BMW can also learn how to make their cars more reliable from Toyota through their quality inspection methods.

Last edited by JohnMan; 12-02-2011 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:33 AM   #35
///M3Lover
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04WhiteM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
The folks at BMW aren't retards. I'm sure the Munich folks have carefully considered all the pros and cons of any collaboration with Toyota before agreeing to this move. As a for-profit venture, BMW isn't simply going to give away diesel engines for free to Toyota without any kind of substantial benefit in return.

I'm more concerned with how long this joint-venture can last. BMW and Toyota have quite different corporate cultures and this is often a big stumbling block. Volkswagen and Suzuki had a agreement for example, one that is falling apart as we speak. Still, Toyota's newly unveiled motto is to making their cars "fun to drive" again, and if they are serious with it, then they can certainly learn a thing or two from BMW in that department. And BMW can also learn how to make their cars more reliable.
+1!

IMO, it'll suck for a Toyota owner to replace parts on a BMW engine. :
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #36
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
So you buy a car based on the image of the brand instead of how it drives? Cool.
+1 So funny how some people reason.

and anyway, BMW was already sharing engines with Peugeot (mini 1.6l turbo)
A great engine will still be a great engine. In a cooperation there is more know how and more budget available, so it should even lead to better things.
And no way I would want to change a BMW diesel for a Merc diesel.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #37
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
I'm more concerned with how long this joint-venture can last. BMW and Toyota have quite different corporate cultures and this is often a big stumbling block. Volkswagen and Suzuki had an agreement for example, one that is falling apart as we speak. I think Honda would have made a better partner. Since Honda has an entreprenuerial spirit focusing on innovation and advanced technology, something which BMW also aspires for. Whereas Toyota has always been more bureaucratic and stuffy, those things are not well suited to the sort of horizontal management that BMW practices.
I think BMW was more focused on Toyota's hybrid technology more than anything. Honda might be better overall in terms of technology but I don't think BMW was looking at that. I don't know why BMW won't ship more diesels over here. I don't know the cost of of diesel vs hybrid but I'd imagine they're in the same ballpark, if not diesel being less expensive. But I guess with North America's infatuation with hybrid's, this is BMW just capitalizing on the hybrid market already being strong in petrol and diesel.

I don't see how this could end up bad for BMW and I can't wait to see what comes out of this agreement. Maybe in the future, I can skip a 3er and just go straight for a Corolla/Camry with a BMW engine, the money I can save...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
+1 So funny how some people reason.

and anyway, BMW was already sharing engines with Peugeot (mini 1.6l turbo)
A great engine will still be a great engine. In a cooperation there is more know how and more budget available, so it should even lead to better things.
And no way I would want to change a BMW diesel for a Merc diesel.
Amazing engine and having leased an Echo/Yaris, the 1.6L engine in the MINI is much more efficient.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #38
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Toyota are you kidding me?

My least favorite brand on this planet.

Ditto...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #39
woodman650
Super Couper
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

I don't think brand preference matters here... both companies have strong R&D groups and financial situations, and can learn a lot from each other, seems logical to me. Innovators gotta innovate.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #40
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Great, now we are going to get diesels with accelerator pedals that stick.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #41
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
I think BMW was more focused on Toyota's hybrid technology more than anything. Honda might be better overall in terms of technology but I don't think BMW was looking at that. I don't know why BMW won't ship more diesels over here. I don't know the cost of of diesel vs hybrid but I'd imagine they're in the same ballpark, if not diesel being less expensive. But I guess with North America's infatuation with hybrid's, this is BMW just capitalizing on the hybrid market already being strong in petrol and diesel.

I don't see how this could end up bad for BMW and I can't wait to see what comes out of this agreement. Maybe in the future, I can skip a 3er and just go straight for a Corolla/Camry with a BMW engine, the money I can save...
Not disagreeing with you on that baoma, no question BMW is after Toyota's hybrid technology (athough strictly speaking, Honda were actually the first ones making hybrids, but the Insight was obviously less successful then the prius). I'm just wondering, since they have agree to both jointly research and develop batteries, how their agreement will work in practice. Since many joint ventures fall apart from incompatible working styles. So BMW and Toyota will have to find a way to work together without compromising each other's strong points, and that is often easier said then done in reality.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #42
whatever
Rep
Drives: e90

I cannot wait to order M3 IS-F, F10 GS350 or 7 series LS460 Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #43
Julianb233
Rep
Drives: 2008 black BMW 335xi

Good pont but they should of met up with porsche or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Thank God, Maybe BMW can take some tips on reliability.. And Toyota can make cars that feel better to drive...
Good pont but they should of met up with porsche or something
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #44
Julianb233
Rep
Drives: 2008 black BMW 335xi

Hahaahh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
I always referenced the crossfire and a chicks car. Or a homosexuals car. I'm not judging you, but it seems like you should have been driving that crossfire a long time ago.

exhuast on your 325? Wow..I'm flattered.
Hahahaaha 335 swagg
You had a 335 rear bumper and
Appreciate 0