F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Yogurt before sleep?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
My protein shake: (3 or 2 times a day, depending)
Damn man take it easy that's too much. In order for your body to break down the protein it needs calcium. If you're not getting enough calcium in your diet then it starts taking the calcium from your bones making them very weak. Not to mention the stress you're putting your liver under. Also your body can't digest more than 30 grams of protein at a time so don't bother drinking more than one scoop.

Just eat healthy man. I eat a shit load of tuna, chicken breasts, peanuts, eggs.. Try taking a break from the protein shakes and see if you notice a difference.

I drank a protein shake every day 2 years ago until I injured my shoulder and stopped working out. In 3 months all that I had done pretty much shrunk. I started again in the beginning of last year without any protein shakes and worked out until the end of summer and stopped cuz of school. I just started again in january and I can say that this time around my body did not shrink nearly as much as before. I'd say I shrunk 80% more with the protein shake workout than without.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #24
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Damn man take it easy that's too much. In order for your body to break down the protein it needs calcium. If you're not getting enough calcium in your diet then it starts taking the calcium from your bones making them very weak. Not to mention the stress you're putting your liver under. Also your body can't digest more than 30 grams of protein at a time so don't bother drinking more than one scoop.

Just eat healthy man. I eat a shit load of tuna, chicken breasts, peanuts, eggs.. Try taking a break from the protein shakes and see if you notice a difference.

I drank a protein shake every day 2 years ago until I injured my shoulder and stopped working out. In 3 months all that I had done pretty much shrunk. I started again in the beginning of last year without any protein shakes and worked out until the end of summer and stopped cuz of school. I just started again in january and I can say that this time around my body did not shrink nearly as much as before. I'd say I shrunk 80% more with the protein shake workout than without.
I take pills from wholefoods that has calcium and I drink a shit load of water with all my protein intake. I never have more than 1 scoop. But your body can take more than 30g of protein depending on who you are. High, weight, body fat, etc...

I was told all this info from 3 guys who are built and work at the gym and work at the max muscle store. So i shut my mouth and listen lol

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #25
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
I take pills from wholefoods that has calcium and I drink a shit load of water with all my protein intake. I never have more than 1 scoop. But your body can take more than 30g of protein depending on who you are. High, weight, body fat, etc...

I was told all this info from 3 guys who are built and work at the gym and work at the max muscle store. So i shut my mouth and listen lol
Lol i read it in men's health bro so ya I donno whos more credible. My point is don't take too much artificial bs

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Lol i read it in men's health bro so ya I donno whos more credible. My point is don't take too much artificial bs
Even if your body doesn't get use of more than 40g of protein in one sitting it's not like you just crap the rest out. The protein still gets used in the form of calories.

Quote:
Holy shit 2 cups of oats! I hate mixing oats because when you blend it they fall in the bottom the cup and they are chunking watery shit lol
Doesn't happen to me, but that's because the shake is so fuxing thick that it can't sink lol. Can't chug these shakes either, gotta chew that shit.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #27
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

You need something that digests slow while you sleep. So milk/cottage cheese is perfect for you.
      04-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #28
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

drink a tall glass of milk
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #29
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Yea yogurt is good. But a protein shake or bar is better. The reason why some yogurts are not all that great is becuase they have sugar! I believe 14-17 grams of sugar. And your putting that to your stomach and sleeping on it.

Peanut butter is a better option. But only 1 table spoon from whole foods.
"Peanut butter" really?

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #30
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
"Peanut butter" really?
Fats will sedate the nervous system which will aide in sleep. They also stabilize blood sugar so you don't end up waking during the night due to nocturnal hypoglycemia which disrupts HGH production, prompts the release of catabolic stress hormone and insulin, & degrades sleep quality and repair.

If you do use peanut butter, make damn sure that you don't have a peanut intolerance (very common) and don't use non organic or non-natural peanut butter due to the presence of hydrogenated oils which are inflammatory, fattening, and disease causing.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #31
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Almond butter. mmmm

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #32
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Fats will sedate the nervous system which will aide in sleep. They also stabilize blood sugar so you don't end up waking during the night due to nocturnal hypoglycemia which disrupts HGH production, prompts the release of catabolic stress hormone and insulin, & degrades sleep quality and repair.

If you do use peanut butter, make damn sure that you don't have a peanut intolerance (very common) and don't use non organic or non-natural peanut butter due to the presence of hydrogenated oils which are inflammatory, fattening, and disease causing.
So Skippy and Jif are no good Holy crap I'm going to die....
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #33
BigMoneyWasted
Rep
Drives: 350Z

Couple things to add. Bobby_Light has given some good advice, others....meh.

BCAA's are digested too slowly to do any good at night. They are best taken pre and/or intra-WO.

Skippy has an all natural peanut butter with honey that is friggin delicious and won't separate. Used Shmuker's for a while but by the time you get to the end of the jar it's like concrete. ON Casein is good stuff, I drink it in milk before bed every night. Sometimes I'll add some cheddar cheese or put some EVOO in the shake.

You don't necessarily want a protein shake with no carbs. Carbs elicit an insulin response, protein (especially casein), not so much. If the is little or no insulin to get the protein to your muscles, you could be wasting it. Of course there are exceptions are some people are insulin-resistant and some are insulin-sensitive.

Cottage cheese is an excellent choice for a bedtime meal. Maybe add a scoop of protein to it.

Saying that your body can only digest 30g, or xxg of protein at one time is the biggest crock of hose caca I've ever heard. Everyone is different. You think guys like Cutler and Greene got to 300 pounds eating 8 meals of only 30g of protein. Methinks not.

Also, if you're _serious_ about bodybuilding, or training, I would put down the Men's Health and pick up Muscular Development, or start reading on some online forums. Most of the times, (even in MD), articles are ghost written and the 'good' advice from that 'pro' is just the ramblings of some fat slob behind a keyboard.

Just a few thoughts while skimming this thread.
Appreciate 0