F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > All around best option for pre LCI LED to yellow DRL's?
ARMA SPEED

04-18-2024, 03:50 AM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

All around best option for pre LCI LED to yellow DRL's?

I have a pre lci 440i with adaptive. I really really would like to have LCI (or better looking) yellow drl headlights. I have contacted bayoptiks.com and they seem like a more proper option but very expensive. I am open to other cheaper hopefully forum approved options if there are any.

I stumbled across an old f30 post and ended up getting lost 2 hours into researching/planning. Thought i would just ask here. Really doesn't even have to be LCI but yellow drl's for a pre lci without having to send off my headlights for a couple weeks (i live in japan but have a military US post office box here) or some hopefully new plug in play option. Does such a thing exist without having to pay 2000+$

tanx all as always and again as always sorry if this has been asked already a bazillion times

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 04-20-2024 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:30 AM   #2
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
I have a pre lci 440i with adaptive. I really really would like to have LCI (or better looking) yellow drl headlights. I have contacted bayoptiks.com and they seem like a more proper option but very expensive. I am open to other cheaper hopefully forum approved options if there are any.

I stumbled across an old f30 post and ended up getting lost 2 hours into researching/planning. Thought i would just ask here. Really doesn't even have to be LCI but yellow drl's for a pre lci without having to send off my headlights for a couple weeks (i live in japan but have a military US post office box here) or some hopefully new plug in play option. Does such a thing exist without having to pay 2000+$

tanx all as always and again as always sorry if this has been asked already a bazillion times
Just to be clear... Are you asking for recommendation for replacement headlights (full assemblies) or for just upgrading the DRL color to yellow?

If just to upgrade the Angel Eyes to yellow, this could be the option:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

RealOEM shows 63117263051 as LED module for your car (if it is US spec). You need to verify that using the last 7 symbols of your car's VIN:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_1501
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2024, 07:08 PM   #3
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksamit78 View Post
Just to be clear... Are you asking for recommendation for replacement headlights (full assemblies) or for just upgrading the DRL color to yellow?

If just to upgrade the Angel Eyes to yellow, this could be the option:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

RealOEM shows 63117263051 as LED module for your car (if it is US spec). You need to verify that using the last 7 symbols of your car's VIN:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_1501
yeah sorry for making that as confusing as possible

so i reached out to bayOptiKs and asked them my best options based on the headlights i have. this was their response, "for the pre LCI LED headlights the DRL boards are internal and not accessible so it requires custom installation. You would need to ship us your headlights for the custom work". So the cost for me to mail my headlights from Japan to them and back + parts and labor is like $900+ and maybe 2-3 weeks of not having headlights and then the fear of the mail messing up and disappearing, which seems to happen about 5% of the time.

I was then looking at full on new headlights with yellow DRL's and sure bayOptiks has some very pretty ones but they seems to be like $2500-4k+

I was just wondering if there are any forum tested/approved different full headlight options??? or a cheaper/easier path then what BayOptiks said above. I am open to losing adaptive ability and am cable of coding things out with Bimmercode, as long it is a simple plug/play jobber
      04-19-2024, 07:44 AM   #4
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was just wondering if there are any forum tested/approved different full headlight options??? or a cheaper/easier path then what BayOptiks said above. I am open to losing adaptive ability and am cable of coding things out with Bimmercode, as long it is a simple plug/play jobber
There is no such thing as specific "forum tested/approved different full headlight options". A lot of people purchase headlights from Ali. Do some research in "Cosmetic & Lighting Modifications" section of the forum. Be careful as to which version of wiring do you have as there three (3) different ones depending on how many pins are in the plug. The shape of the plug is the same. You will need to take a look at the wiring plugs connecting to your car's headlights.

Again, the DRL led modules are NOT inside the headlights - they are installed from outside (most of the times at the bottom) so that they can be replaced if LEDs burn out. BMW would not design headlights that require full replacement (thousands of dollars) for burnt DRL LEDs.

It is item #3 in the image:

The OEM boards come attached to Aluminum heat sinks that are required to dissipate the heat generated by the LEDs. Naturally, they can not be inside the headlights because of the cooling requirement.

Take a look at this pic of the Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlight from F32 (4 Series) car:

The heat sinks are aluminum with bunch of studs on them for improved cooling rate are at the bottom of the headlight.

The DRL LED modules/boards for the pre-LCI Adaptive Xenon headlights in your car are interchangeable with M4 and M3 of the same age:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=63117440879

So, THIS makes sense for you to purchase if you are locked onto BayOptiks:
https://bayoptiksca.com/products/f8x...lci-xenon-only

The supply list includes:
- Complete CSL Yellow DRL LED boards for left and right headlights
- Thermal conductive adhesive
It means that you'd have to remove the OEM boards off the heat sinks and glue-in the replacement ones from BayOptiks using the supplied adhesive.

On the same page it says "Note: Headlight removal is required to access the DRL modules at the bottom of the headlights" to confirm what I said - the LED modules are removable from outside of the headlights like in all other BMWs of the same model/generation.

I'd get full assemblies (including heat sinks) from Ali if I were you (I did that for my F34 GT with additional modifications) for a third of a price.

This would be my choice if I were you: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

At the end of the day it is your decision based on the knowledge of your car, your skill set and budget.

Good luck.

Last edited by Oksamit78; 04-19-2024 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2024, 04:17 AM   #5
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
There is no such thing as specific "forum tested/approved different full headlight options". A lot of people purchase headlights from Ali. Do some research in "Cosmetic & Lighting Modifications" section of the forum. Be careful as to which version of wiring do you have as there three (3) different ones depending on how many pins are in the plug. The shape of the plug is the same. You will need to take a look at the wiring plugs connecting to your car's headlights.

Again, the DRL led modules are NOT inside the headlights - they are installed from outside (most of the times at the bottom) so that they can be replaced if LEDs burn out. BMW would not design headlights that require full replacement (thousands of dollars) for burnt DRL LEDs.

It is item #3 in the image:

The OEM boards come attached to Aluminum heat sinks that are required to dissipate the heat generated by the LEDs. Naturally, they can not be inside the headlights because of the cooling requirement.

Take a look at this pic of the Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlight from F32 (4 Series) car:

The heat sinks are aluminum with bunch of studs on them for improved cooling rate are at the bottom of the headlight.

The DRL LED modules/boards for the pre-LCI Adaptive Xenon headlights in your car are interchangeable with M4 and M3 of the same age:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=63117440879

So, THIS makes sense for you to purchase if you are locked onto BayOptiks:
https://bayoptiksca.com/products/f8x...lci-xenon-only

The supply list includes:
- Complete CSL Yellow DRL LED boards for left and right headlights
- Thermal conductive adhesive
It means that you'd have to remove the OEM boards off the heat sinks and glue-in the replacement ones from BayOptiks using the supplied adhesive.

On the same page it says "Note: Headlight removal is required to access the DRL modules at the bottom of the headlights" to confirm what I said - the LED modules are removable from outside of the headlights like in all other BMWs of the same model/generation.

I'd get full assemblies (including heat sinks) from Ali if I were you (I did that for my F34 GT with additional modifications) for a third of a price.

This would be my choice if I were you: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

At the end of the day it is your decision based on the knowledge of your car, your skill set and budget.

Good luck.
muchos arigatos. my apologies for being dumb. i just tripple checked and I have the pre LCI LED headlights apparently. this is showing as a no on the aliexpress site, and these are what i had originally told BayOptiks that I had when they replied "for the pre LCI LED headlights the DRL boards are internal and not accessible so it requires custom installation. You would need to ship us your headlights for the custom work". can you confirm this is correct for this type of headlight for trying to do yellow DRL's (please see my pic attached). thanks man!
Attached Images

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 04-20-2024 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 11:38 AM   #6
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i just tripple checked and I have the pre LCI LED headlights apparently.
According to the picture and cross referencing your car's VIN on RealOEM.com I think I can confirm that you have pre-LCI Adaptive LED headlights, (part no 63117377849 for left and 63117377850 for right). Your car is EU spec and RHD, also.

This type of headlights indeed has the DRL LEDs built into the headlights as BayOptiks told you. Your options now become somewhat limited to: 1) Send your headlights to them for retrofit; 2) Purchase Adaptive LED headlights that are meant for LCI 4 Series including M4 or for LCI M3, but second generation of Adaptive LED (aka LCI version).
Here is the car model cross reference for the left LCI AHL headlight as an example:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=63117478535

The LCI Adaptive LED headlights have the DRL modules mounted at the top and outside. These can be simply replaced with pre-build LED modules of yellow SCL color sold by several companies. The part numbers for Adaptive HeadLights (AHL) for your car, EU spec and RHD, are 63117478535 for left and 63117478536 for right.

Doing a quick search online I have not found aftermarket adaptive LCI headlights for 4 series. So, if you decide to replace the headlights you are either loosing the adaptive feature (possibly would require wiring review/change and coding) or you are purchasing new/used OEM adaptive LCI headlights (highly likely could require coding). In either case, it is not going to be cheap (like few hundred for a set of boards).
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2024, 07:57 PM   #7
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
According to the picture and cross referencing your car's VIN on RealOEM.com I think I can confirm that you have pre-LCI Adaptive LED headlights, (part no 63117377849 for left and 63117377850 for right). Your car is EU spec and RHD, also.

This type of headlights indeed has the DRL LEDs built into the headlights as BayOptiks told you. Your options now become somewhat limited to: 1) Send your headlights to them for retrofit; 2) Purchase Adaptive LED headlights that are meant for LCI 4 Series including M4 or for LCI M3, but second generation of Adaptive LED (aka LCI version).
Here is the car model cross reference for the left LCI AHL headlight as an example:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=63117478535

The LCI Adaptive LED headlights have the DRL modules mounted at the top and outside. These can be simply replaced with pre-build LED modules of yellow SCL color sold by several companies. The part numbers for Adaptive HeadLights (AHL) for your car, EU spec and RHD, are 63117478535 for left and 63117478536 for right.

Doing a quick search online I have not found aftermarket adaptive LCI headlights for 4 series. So, if you decide to replace the headlights you are either loosing the adaptive feature (possibly would require wiring review/change and coding) or you are purchasing new/used OEM adaptive LCI headlights (highly likely could require coding). In either case, it is not going to be cheap (like few hundred for a set of boards).
Thanks, seems like it will ne a challenge to get the correct bmw 63117478536 and 535's for under 1500 from amy reputable-ish vendor after just spending the last 30 minutes searching in the inner and outter webz.
      Today, 09:50 AM   #8
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, seems like it will ne a challenge to get the correct bmw 63117478536 and 535's for under 1500 from amy reputable-ish vendor after just spending the last 30 minutes searching in the inner and outter webz.
I know this is a little high on the price, but the OEM headlights include all additional modules with them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325926048...temCondition=4
Appreciate 1
      Today, 03:55 PM   #9
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I know this is a little high on the price, but the OEM headlights include all additional modules with them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325926048...temCondition=4
Thanks, i found a similar pair a few dollars cheaper here and messaged them yesterday but no reply yet.

https://www.mlperformance.co/product...4-f41568d49db5

Then i found an older thread on here uesterday where a UK car swapped to similar looking aftermarket rhd pair a few months back and it was plug and play. For him Only thing I'm worried the pin count may be different than my 9 pin. He went from pre lci xenon. Is that plug n play for my pre lci led then i wonder? Price is right but still don't want to do all that labor and lose that money of they don't work.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1948849&page=3
      Today, 04:15 PM   #10
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, i found a similar pair a few dollars cheaper here and messaged them yesterday but no reply yet.

https://www.mlperformance.co/product...4-f41568d49db5
These are non-adaptive LCI headlights on the webpage (part numbers 63117478153 & 63117478154), National version japan. Are you looking for non-adaptive headlights?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:28 PM   #11
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
These are non-adaptive LCI headlights on the webpage (part numbers 63117478153 & 63117478154), National version japan. Are you looking for non-adaptive headlights?
I don't mind losing the adaptive ability if i can save some loot and get RHD. Otherwise same same and upgraded icon style led with external boards it appears.