F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW Testing at the Lausitzring (With Heikki Kovalainen)
Extreme Powerhouse

08-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

BMW Testing at the Lausitzring (With Heikki Kovalainen)

Productive test at the Lausitzring.

No sooner is one race over than preparations begin for the next one: just one week after Macro Wittmann triumphed at the iconic Nürburgring, BMW Motorsport has spent four days testing in preparation for the final phase of the DTM season

From Monday to Thursday, the BMW drivers have been in action at the Lausitzring, which will host the eighth round of the touring car series on 14th September.

Making his debut at the wheel of the BMW M4 DTM during the tests at the “EuroSpeedway Lausitz” was ex-Formula One driver Heikki Kovalainen. The 32-year-old racing driver from Suomussalmi, Finland, contested 111 races at the pinnacle of single-seater racing between 2007 and 2013. When Kovalainen won his first Grand Prix in 2008 at the Hungaroring, which also hosted the DTM in June of this year, he was joined on the podium by current BMW DTM driver Timo Glock, who finished runner-up.

Kovalainen took his opportunity at the Lausitzring to get a picture of the BMW M4 DTM. For BMW Motorsport, the test programme also included numerous long runs on prime and option tyres. The engineers also tested several set-up variants, which it has otherwise not been possible to run during the limited practice time on DTM race weekends. The test took place on the same circuit as will host the eighth race of this year’s DTM season. Because of this, BMW Motorsport was able to use the four days in Lausitz to prepare meticulously for the upcoming race.

Heikki Kovalainen:
"First of all I am grateful that BMW Motorsport offered me the opportunity to drive its car. I was really looking forward to this interesting experience. To be honest, I didn’t really know what to expect as I have never driven a car like this. But I felt really comfortable in the BMW M4 DTM from the very beginning. It’s an impressive car. Of course, it is heavier than a Formula One car and has less power, but the aerodynamics are very good and you can drive through corners very fast. The team helped me a lot to get used to everything. You can see that it is highly professional. I enjoyed the day very much.”

Marco Wittmann:
“The test laps in the BMW M4 DTM went very well. I was able to complete over 500 kilometres and we had absolutely no problems with the car. Everything ran completely as it should do. I am very happy with the results of the tests. We were able to make some valuable findings – particularly with regard to the next race in a fortnight’s time, which will take place at the same circuit. We are well prepared for the eighth round of the DTM at the Lausitzring, as the season enters the finishing straight.”

Bruno Spengler:
“It felt great to be back at the Lausitzring. It was here that I scored the first win for BMW on its return to the series back in 2012. That was awesome. Because the race at this track was not so successful for us last season, it was important to test here again. We worked hard, gathered a lot of data, and further improved the set-up of the car. It was a perfect preparation for the remaining three races of the DTM season.”

Kovalainen tests the BMW M4 DTM.

This week, the BMW DTM teams head to the Lausitzring, where they will undertake tests with the BMW M4 DTM from Monday to Thursday.

The tests will focus on the set-up of the car, with an eye on the upcoming DTM race at this circuit on 14th September. On one of the four days, the BMW DTM drivers will be joined by ex-Formula One driver Heikki Kovalaine. He has 111 Formula One Grands Prix under his belt, and will use the opportunity at the Lausitzring to gain an impression of the BMW M4 DTM.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-28-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's some more photos from the week

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Many thanks for BMW for inviting me to test the BMW M4 DTM car today at Lausitzring, very enjoyable day!
-- Heikki Kovalainen

"Hi Mate, hope you had fun!"
-- Timo Glock

"Yea it was real fun, Timo! I enjoyed it. Had no engine and brakes but had more grip than in many years!"
-- Kovalainen
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-29-2014 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0