F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW's treated differently by pickup trucks?
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: Are BMW's treated differently by pickup truck drivers?
Yes 24 60.00%
No 16 40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

09-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

BMW's treated differently by pickup trucks?

I've driven economy cars most of my life until mid 30's when we could afford our first luxury car. Also still own a Nissan. So I'm coming from a historical baseline of different experiences as well as a current set of experiences.

Anyway, after many examples I really think pickup drivers have a thing for BMW's - speeding up so they can't be passed by a BMW especially, but also cutting off, tailgating, and a few other very direct & aggressive behaviors. Anyone else noticed this? I'm very conscious that I'm not causing anything either. Or maybe it's just Arizona... as some have told me we're basically a red-neck state without an identifiable slur of speech.

Poll to be posted here too.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
mzem
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135, '05 Boxster S

Yeah, I've noticed this too in both my cars. A couple of weeks ago I was merging onto one of the freeways here in Minneapolis in moderately light traffic while driving the BMW. It was a rather long ramp and I was already slightly above the speed of traffic (one of my biggest pet peeves about Minnesotan's, as quite a few will not properly merge). I still had a couple hundred feet before the lane ended and the F150 in the far right lane was already safely behind me. This guy felt compelled to get a head of me, due to the sound him flooring it with his aftermarket exhaust. Let's just say it wasn't too hard to stay ahead off him and watch him rapidly disappear in the rearview. Obviously his pride was hurt, as he flashed his brights at me.
      09-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Carmen SanDiego
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have to be careful on the road in Houston because the truck population is extremely high here and a lot of people drive like jerks. They have the mindset of "I'm bigger than you, so you can deal with it" and change lanes without caring if you're right next to them. The bad part is I've had them go full road rage at me for honking at them and alerting them to my presence when I see them cross into my lane. It's ridiculous really. I thought it was a Texas thing because we love our trucks down here but I guess it's all over.

Edit: This has happened in both my 328i, 135i and my room mates M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen SanDiego View Post
The bad part is I've had them go full road rage at me for honking at them and alerting them to my presence when I see them cross into my lane.
CHL and a DVR FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Carmen SanDiego
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
CHL and a DVR FTW
I don't have my CHL yet but I usually carry my 1911 or XD in the glove box even though I hope that someone doesn't ever take it that far to where I need to use them.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Quote:
I don't have my CHL yet but I usually carry my 1911 or XD in the glove box even though I hope that someone doesn't ever take it that far to where I need to use them.
The thing is, here in AZ I'd wager the truck people have them as well and are more likely to use it in road rage. So I'm all for CC but by far prefer to avoid the circumstance where it would be needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

I notice some trucks do that here in MA and NH where I work, but then people in all sorts of cars act stupid.
      09-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Definitely notice this type of behavior from pick up trucks in San Diego.

Seems to be drivers of older base model trucks and not drivers of $$$ new trucks.

I chalk it up to "haters gonna hate" and ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Wow...you guys feel compelled to carry handguns in the case of road rage confrontation??? And I thought I took driving too seriously.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
When I was still a newbie driver (I still am!), I was placed in a situation where I needed a weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Wow...you guys feel compelled to carry handguns in the case of road rage confrontation??? And I thought I took driving too seriously.
It's better to be safe than sorry. If you get placed in such a situation, you wouldn't want to be helpless.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
More like, to prevent carjacking. To prevent robbery. To protect myself and those that may be with me. And yes, in the event of road rage. I'd hate to cause harm to any human being, but unfortunately, all of society doesn't think like that.

My sister dated this guy for awhile:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-328366.html

He brought a CHL and handgun to a baseball bat fight.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Carmen SanDiego
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname

Exactly. Also, the carjacking prevention is a serious thing. I work retail which means crazy hours and more often than not me walking to my car alone at night or early morning. A woman walking alone appears an easy target for people up to no good. One of my female employees left work one night and was car jacked in the parking lot, they drove her to her house and held her and her family at gun point while they took everything they owned.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
JuuS
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I've noticed truck drivers love to dish it out, but cannot take it back. They get really, really upset when they try to own the road and lose - almost like big bullies in a way.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Also, the carjacking prevention is a serious thing.
Yup. Although not as prevalent as it used to be, carjacking still goes on. There are a lot of things you can do to ensure your safety, but sometimes, things go to hell in a hand-basket PDQ, and your safety is threatened.

It's a night and day difference how people react when I'm in the car vs the truck. No signal lane changes, getting cut off, etc is the norm. People usually don't do me like that when I'm driving the truck, although I did have one idiot who was acting like a douche in traffic missed my front end by "thismuch" when he was weaving in and out. Dude had the nerve to flick me off when I honked. He didn't like it when I made a point of pulling out my cell phone and taking a pic of his license plate. He got rather incensed and tried to chase me through traffic, but missed the exit and there wasn't another for 2 miles *lol*.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-12-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

I also live in AZ and haven't really noticed this before. And we're a red state, not a redneck state.

I am also in the process of buying my first pickup - Ford Raptor, to play with on the weekends.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

don't carry a gun if you aren't actually gonna shoot them because if their intention is to REALLY do a car jacking, you will get shot before you have time to pull out the gun.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
don't carry a gun if you aren't actually gonna shoot them because if their intention is to REALLY do a car jacking, you will get shot before you have time to pull out the gun.
One of the first things any responsible gun owner is taught is to never point a gun at someone unless you're ready to pull the trigger. I appreciate the sanctity of human life, but I am aware of my rights, and I am a law-abiding citizen. Situations that require a fire arm.....we'd all like to avoid them. But please don't take any law-abiding gun owner's appreciation of life as a sign of weakness.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Im just saying. Shit can get real. In the wrong hands or the wrong situation it gets messy.

Same as the pistol to baseball bat analogy, it could be a street sweeper vs a pistol.

Ive never said anything about weakness - just said prepare for the worst.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

EVERYONE gets treated differently by pickup drivers where I live. I have a theory that with respect to pickups and their drivers, there is an inverse relationship between tire size and penis size.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
just said prepare for the worst.

Exactly why people carry guns in their cars, they're preparing for the worst
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
SidekickChuck
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 e39 M5

Interesting post, but I have not had any issues with trucks in SoCal.
Appreciate 0