F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Best backup camera? (not bimmertech)
ARMA SPEED

07-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
UGA99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 335i xdrive 6MT

Best backup camera? (not bimmertech)

Hey everyone, going to be buying an f32 soon and it doesn't have the driver assistance pack so no backup camera. Obviously the bimmertech is an option but $699 is pretty damn steep for something I can get elsewhere for 1/4 of the price. Does anyone have any recommendations as to other brands/ aliexpress products they recommend to solve the backup camera issue?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:06 AM   #2
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

It depends on your needs. If all you need is a backup camera and screen mirroring, you might want to consider an MMI box (such as andreams MMI), which, on top of screen mirroring, will allow you to seemlessly install any aftermarket backup camera. On ali, they're going for 240$. A decent camera will set you in for 20$.
If your car didn't come with navigation from factory, and you're keen on full android experience and adding navigation, among other things, you might want to buy an aftermarket headunit. Provided you have an android head unit, you won't need an MMI box, to install the camera. (you're looking at a pricetag in the range ~ 350 - 450$).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
It depends on your needs. If all you need is a backup camera and screen mirroring, you might want to consider an MMI box (such as andreams MMI), which, on top of screen mirroring, will allow you to seemlessly install any aftermarket backup camera. On ali, they're going for 240$. A decent camera will set you in for 20$.
If your car didn't come with navigation from factory, and you're keen on full android experience and adding navigation, among other things, you might want to buy an aftermarket headunit. Provided you have an android head unit, you won't need an MMI box, to install the camera. (you're looking at a pricetag in the range ~ 350 - 450$).
I'm getting the andream MMI but I want the backup camera to work with the oem system so I can have it working with PDC sensors. Is it plug and play with any backup camera or do I need vehicle coding like the bimmertech site says?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by f304dr View Post
I'm getting the andream MMI but I want the backup camera to work with the oem system so I can have it working with PDC sensors. Is it plug and play with any backup camera or do I need vehicle coding like the bimmertech site says?

Thanks!
It is plug and play with both OEM and aftermarket cameras. No coding is required
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
It is plug and play with both OEM and aftermarket cameras. No coding is required
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 03:27 AM   #6
///MB ///M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'd like to resurrect this thread... looking to get a CarPlay MMI unit installed on my car that i would purchase from aliexpress. Bimmertech obviously is more costly for the same unit but I can't seem to find or confirm if any backup camera is compatible with it except for the $300 add on backup camera offered by Bimmertech. If someone could confirm or provide a link for an alternative camera that would work with the CarPlay MMI please send a link! Thank you

I have a manual transmission 2016 F80 M3, BTW.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MB ///M3 View Post
I'd like to resurrect this thread... looking to get a CarPlay MMI unit installed on my car that i would purchase from aliexpress. Bimmertech obviously is more costly for the same unit but I can't seem to find or confirm if any backup camera is compatible with it except for the $300 add on backup camera offered by Bimmertech. If someone could confirm or provide a link for an alternative camera that would work with the CarPlay MMI please send a link! Thank you

I purchased this backup camera off Amazon, which works flawlessly with my Carlinkit MMI. It was recommended by another forum member.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
///MB ///M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex'er View Post
Quote:

I purchased this backup camera off Amazon, which works flawlessly with my Carlinkit MMI. It was recommended by another forum member.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
Thank you so much for the recommendation!! I will get it!

Certainly beats spending $300 for the Bimmertech backup camera add on unit!

Respect!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Thank you so much for the recommendation!! I will get it!

Certainly beats spending $300 for the Bimmertech backup camera add on unit!

Respect!
Agreed, branding aside, the units are identical. Of course, BimmerTech does offer support however there is a mega thread about these MMI units. You may find it useful.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2022, 05:01 AM   #10
SRB-F31M
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330D

Can you swap the stock rear camera for a better one ( more clear view )?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #11
GD
Rep
Drives: F30 2015 BMW 335i X 6MT

Quote:

Have you figured out the best combo for camera and MMI for your vehicle ? i got a manual F30, and trying to find one which will work for MT and has instructions on how to do so
Appreciate 0