F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > September 2010 Changes for all BMW Models
Studio RSR

07-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #67
M3KW
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3

This info sounds interesting, not too many radical changes but why oh why are they launching this in September!!!!! My M3 is already on the ship!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #68
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3KW View Post
This info sounds interesting, not too many radical changes but why oh why are they launching this in September!!!!! My M3 is already on the ship!
September seems to be the change time, they did the same with the Idrive update too from memory.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #69
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
There's no way the iPod upgrades can't be flashed. All the parts needed are in the car, the only difference is how iDrive interacts with the iPod. This HAS to be retrofittable. I don't care about the email and other stuff, strictly the new iPod functions and that can EASILY be retrofitted.

Whether BMW will do it or not is another story.
That's the problem, the parts are not in any current production US M3. They will be in September.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #70
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

What exactly did they change? We already have an iPod interface in the car and the only difference is the screen info. Well, the only difference I want, is the interface. Unless they added iPod video now as well. Then I'd want that too.

I swear, sometimes i wish I kept my GTI. Adding new stuff was as easy as replacing the part and adding it to the CAN-BUS. This whole "you can't add it if it didn't come with the car and if you do it'll stop working if the dealer reflashes the car" nonsense is beyond stupid.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #71
Brknbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3

The changes and potential future applications are mentioned in the BMW video bellow.(warning repost).

I worry that without it a phone I buy 2 years from now will not integrate. I already have issues connecting my last iPhone to play the music in my 2008 335 after I did a software upgrade on my. Phone

A bumper is a apple made case for the new iPhone. Used to prevent dropped calls.

2008 E92 Jet Black/Saddle/Dark Burll/6MT/CA/NAV/Sport/Sat/USB (RIP)

Last edited by Brknbones; 07-13-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #72
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
What exactly did they change? We already have an iPod interface in the car and the only difference is the screen info. Well, the only difference I want, is the interface. Unless they added iPod video now as well. Then I'd want that too.

I swear, sometimes i wish I kept my GTI. Adding new stuff was as easy as replacing the part and adding it to the CAN-BUS. This whole "you can't add it if it didn't come with the car and if you do it'll stop working if the dealer reflashes the car" nonsense is beyond stupid.
The TCU, the MULF-HI (ComBox now) and the harness connecting all this will change.

I would guess that if enough people complaint BMW might do something about it. For example, the HiFi system is back as standard equipment (although without the rear tweeters) for the 1- and the 3-Series. I bet $1.43 that this was mostly due to the complaints of thousands of owners about the really shitty Stereo system that they dared to install in $40,000 cars for the last year.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #73
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Hopefully they'll make at least some of it available as a software upgrade since the iPod functions should easily be able to be done with the existing gear. Obviously stuff like the voice control etc would require more/different cabling in a car that doesn't already have it, but if you already have voice control what are you missing besides the software? You already have voice control and it will work with it iPod, although a bit crudely, so at least some of the hardware should be compatible, right?

BMW really needs to make this stuff known WELL in advance or stop all of this crap about not being able to add OEM parts later. They're friggin OEM. Ugh...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #74
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully they'll make at least some of it available as a software upgrade since the iPod functions should easily be able to be done with the existing gear. Obviously stuff like the voice control etc would require more/different cabling in a car that doesn't already have it, but if you already have voice control what are you missing besides the software? You already have voice control and it will work with it iPod, although a bit crudely, so at least some of the hardware should be compatible, right?

BMW really needs to make this stuff known WELL in advance or stop all of this crap about not being able to add OEM parts later. They're friggin OEM. Ugh...
The MY2011 CIC finally got the Nuance Voice Control, so that's new as well. It could be possible that there will be no software update for that either for prior models.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #75
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:

I spoke with a friend of mine at my dealership who went to M3 training several months ago. I missed the class because I had deliveries that day. He told me that in late September or October you will be able to log onto BMW USA and download the update onto a flash drive and get a lot of the features that will be available to the new 2011 models. I am not sure what version of iDrive you will need but I am fairly certain if it happens, it will work on all current generations if not earlier, as well.
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #76
Brknbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I spoke with a friend of mine at my dealership who went to M3 training several months ago. I missed the class because I had deliveries that day. He told me that in late September or October you will be able to log onto BMW USA and download the update onto a flash drive and get a lot of the features that will be available to the new 2011 models. I am not sure what version of iDrive you will need but I am fairly certain if it happens, it will work on all current generations if not earlier, as well.

How would you reconcile that with the PDF at the start of the thread that says the opposite. Thank you for your input but I am Leary of relying on second hand information that is several months old. But I hope you are right.

2008 E92 Jet Black/Saddle/Dark Burll/6MT/CA/NAV/Sport/Sat/USB (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #77
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I would like to see that especially when BMW itself stated this in paper already:

Quote:

These new features are made possible by hardware advances and are not "retrofittable" to pre-September builds.

Perhaps that person was refering to the upcoming USA BMW-Trips.com (Europe already has BMW-Routes.com) that will allow Navigation trip plans to be configured in the site and then downloaded into the CIC by USB. Something like VW NavCompanion.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #78
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
The RIGHT direction would have been to introduce the 2011's with all of the changes at the same time. If you want to talk performance, how about a true CSL option. I also think a factory, multi-piston fixed caliper bbk option would be nice as well.
I think we've all been wanting something like this since about 2003, BMW doesn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brknbones View Post
I worry that without it a phone I buy 2 years from now will not integrate. I already have issues connecting my last iPhone to play the music in my 2008 335 after I did a software upgrade on my. Phone
This is part of the reason I will go aftermarket. I'm looking at a 10-15 year ownership period, and the idrive is nice but it will become outdated eventually and I'd rather install a double din like I have in my daily driver that does almost everything the idrive does and then some for $600. Then in 5 years when we have traffic data integrated into nav systems and whatever else the tech whizzes think of I can just change head units again.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #79
asif163
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '19 M5C, '23 X7 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The TCU, the MULF-HI (ComBox now) and the harness connecting all this will change.

I would guess that if enough people complaint BMW might do something about it. For example, the HiFi system is back as standard equipment (although without the rear tweeters) for the 1- and the 3-Series. I bet $1.43 that this was mostly due to the complaints of thousands of owners about the really shitty Stereo system that they dared to install in $40,000 cars for the last year.
By HiFi system do you mean the Logic7 system? My 08 E92 335i had the Logic7 system as standard and that was really good- if Logic7 is standard then there's no need really to order the Enhanced Premium Sound System for $1900!

Retired: 2011 E90 ZCP M3, 2014 Range Rover Sport, 2006 Audi S4 V8, 2011 E92 ZCP M3, 2011 BMW X3, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2006 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T, 2008 E92 335i, 2005.5 Audi S4 V8, 1990 E30 325is
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #80
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif163 View Post
By HiFi system do you mean the Logic7 system? My 08 E92 335i had the Logic7 system as standard and that was really good- if Logic7 is standard then there's no need really to order the Enhanced Premium Sound System for $1900!
Logic7 = Top HiFi

The USA E9x M3 has never offered the Logic7 system, only the HiFi and the Individual Audio/Enhanced.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #81
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

No, the hi-fi isn't as nice as the logic7 (I own both). M3 base setup isn't changed anyway, we already had the "hifi" system as the base system, that change is just for the 1's and 3's. And the M audio is quite a bit nicer than logic7 from what I heard anyway.
      07-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #82
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
And the M audio is quite a bit nicer than Logic7 from what I heard anyway.
Yes, but its also quite a bit more expensive, hence leaving some folks wishing for the Logic7 as a middle ground.

That said, My 335i has Logic7 (it was standard back in the day, then it was changed to an option, and now its back to standard again) while my M3 has the base "Hifi". I must be deaf, because I can't really tell much difference. Realisitcally, unless the base radio is an AM stereo with a cassette player, the last thing I am concerned with is being upsold to a higher quality audio system. If its gets my local stations and can play my iPod then I am happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #83
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

My 335with logic7 just has better sound overall and it's more clear. Bass is more defined and more powerful, that kind of thing. Not enough for me to care, but I can definitely tell the difference when I hop from car to car. I'm with you on that last sentence, that's all I really need.
      07-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #84
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
My 335with logic7 just has better sound overall and it's more clear. Bass is more defined and more powerful, that kind of thing. Not enough for me to care, but I can definitely tell the difference when I hop from car to car. I'm with you on that last sentence, that's all I really need.
+1. There's a DEFINITE difference to my ears between the M3 HiFi and 335 Logic7 that use to be stock on the 335 when we got it.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #85
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yes, but its also quite a bit more expensive, hence leaving some folks wishing for the Logic7 as a middle ground.

That said, My 335i has Logic7 (it was standard back in the day, then it was changed to an option, and now its back to standard again) while my M3 has the base "Hifi". I must be deaf, because I can't really tell much difference. Realisitcally, unless the base radio is an AM stereo with a cassette player, the last thing I am concerned with is being upsold to a higher quality audio system. If its gets my local stations and can play my iPod then I am happy.
It is not standard, the HiFi is standard in all 1- and 3-Series. The Harman Kardon system (aka Logic7) is optional.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #86
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It is not standard, the HiFi is standard in all 1- and 3-Series. The Harman Kardon system (aka Logic7) is optional.
My fault, I misread the PDF. So, if I am getting this correct, it looks like they went from Logic7 being standard on the 330/335i and HiFi being standard on the 325i/328i originally, to HiFi being stanard on all 3 series, to something even lesser than HiFi being standard on all 3 series, and now back to Hifi being standard on all 3 series.

But I am probably still off.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #87
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I'd vote for making the crap we already have work without freaking glitches, before adding even more crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #88
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
My fault, I misread the PDF. So, if I am getting this correct, it looks like they went from Logic7 being standard on the 330/335i and HiFi being standard on the 325i/328i originally, to HiFi being stanard on all 3 series, to something even lesser than HiFi being standard on all 3 series, and now back to Hifi being standard on all 3 series.

But I am probably still off.
Logic7 left the standard status for good in the 335i in MY2009, and it went HiFi standard for just a year. Then a calendar year (two and a half model years) will pass by and then HiFi will be back as standard equipment in all 3-Series but minus two tweeters (rear).
Appreciate 0