F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Bad life choice ?
GetBMWParts

08-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #23
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansiepooh View Post
Wow for a boxster S ?! They are getting expensive, I know that a 997 (non-S) was about 900~ a month for one with 84k msrp, with 8k down. But that's ridiculous. I like the new Macan, maybe it's time to get rid of the Prius and get a Macan since it has raving reviews.
Key word there is well optioned Im sure you can get a base boxster with no options for much cheaper, but I do not think that is a good idea.

These Porsche packages are getting expensive . As I mentioned, my father optioned the Cayenne S up to ~94k and it still could have gone higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #24
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Is it really that hard to dress nice when going to look at a $70,000 automobile? If the manager of the dealership came out to greet you wearing a tee shirt with paint on it and ripped blue jeans, would you give the dealership serious consideration? I wouldn't.
Why should he have to dress nice to go to a dealer and request a test drive? And your comparing a sales associate to a buyer which doesn't make sense, at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
No but, does it matter on my end ? I'm the consumer and I like to be comfortable. I'm a sales executive by trade and when I see my clients should I expect them to dress in full business professional ? I don't, they can wear shorts for all I care, I'd still take them seriously. Do I dress like a bum when I see my clients ? Sometimes, it depends what I'm seeing them for.

On another note, when I say bum I meant I wear shorts, flip flops and a polo.
So you are a sales executive, good for you. Are you selling a product that some people have a desire just to take a joy ride in, or do you sell a product that business professionals are considering to enhance the capability and productivity of their business? It's not the same situation. It's great that you don't need to have confirmation that the potential buyer has some legitimacy in making a sales transaction from their appearance, but unfortunately most of the world doesn't work that way. People do judge the book by the cover.

Many times I've gone into dealerships on a Saturday after a trip to the county dump (waste transfer station to you city types) dressed appropriately for going to the dump (in my rusted out F150). Understanding that the sales person is judging me by my dress (and vehicle), I diffuse the situation upfront by making recognition of the fact that I'm wearing clothes that may not be the best reflection of my economic status. It always clears the air and resolves any question the sales representative may have.

It's great to think we live in a world that doesn't have prejudice in it, but that's just not the way it is. Have a little humility and be a bit less sensitive. It really won't kill your ego.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #26
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
So you are a sales executive, good for you. Are you selling a product that some people have a desire just to take a joy ride in, or do you sell a product that business professionals are considering to enhance the capability and productivity of their business? It's not the same situation. It's great that you don't need to have confirmation that the potential buyer has some legitimacy in making a sales transaction from their appearance, but unfortunately most of the world doesn't work that way. People do judge the book by the cover.

Many times I've gone into dealerships on a Saturday after a trip to the county dump (waste transfer station to you city types) dressed appropriately for going to the dump (in my rusted out F150). Understanding that the sales person is judging me by my dress (and vehicle), I diffuse the situation upfront by making recognition of the fact that I'm wearing clothes that may not be the best reflection of my economic status. It always clears the air and resolves any question the sales representative may have.

It's great to think we live in a world that doesn't have prejudice in it, but that's just not the way it is. Have a little humility and be a bit less sensitive. It really won't kill your ego.
If they judge a book by its cover, they need to be trained better. It's not my responsibility to look nice wherever I go, my wife likes to dress up and look great when she goes out and that's great. I don't, I'm already confined in business professional clothes all week long. I have the right to wear what I want. And please tell me how wearing shorts, flip flops and a shirt (none of which were ripped) is really not worthy of test driving an M powered car. There are a lot of wealthy people that doesn't feel the need to show off their wealth and they dress in average/relaxed clothing. Fact of the matter is, I don't need to go to a dealership and tell them hey I make more money than the 3 of you + your sales manager combined in a year, now let me test drive the M3; do some people do that ? Yes, but I don't feel the need to and I'm not going to scream at them for not letting me drive. It's just irritating being the consumer.

How am I being sensitive ? Because they won't let me test drive ? Is that how a seller is supposed to react when someone rolls in and asks for a test drive ? I have better things to do than take my wife and my two girls to the dealership to waste my precious weekend. If I had no intention to buy it then maybe I wouldn't take them; these reps need to be better trained and think beyond the cover (some are very smart and respectful).

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #27
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alex View Post
Key word there is well optioned Im sure you can get a base boxster with no options for much cheaper, but I do not think that is a good idea.

These Porsche packages are getting expensive . As I mentioned, my father optioned the Cayenne S up to ~94k and it still could have gone higher.
OH yes it is, I tried building a Macan just now. I optioned it out and ouch my wallet is already screaming =(

On a side note I built a 991 turbo s and I assumed that it would have everything already for 185k~....boy I was wrong the final bill came out close to 230k.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #28
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius Joel View Post
Why should he have to dress nice to go to a dealer and request a test drive? And your comparing a sales associate to a buyer which doesn't make sense, at all.
No idea either, but a lot of wealthy people don't go around flaunting their money in what they wear.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #29
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

If you drive a cls, you might as well bring in a old beat up coffee mug and start asking for change inside. Start collecting cigarette butts at the door and begin rolling it on the roof of your beggar car lol.

Seriously tho, grow some balls and demand a test drive. You're the consumer, not the slave there. I never understood how someone can buy a car without trying it unless it's super limited.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #30
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:

is this real life
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I say, pardon me good sir, it appears I did not have time to allow the chauffeur to circle around my manor and allow me to don my proper formal attire for this here automotive shopping lark I have presently undertaken.

What, that beat up old E90 out there? No, no, that's just a cloaking device upon my new Pullman. I agreed to the subterfuge to keep the hoi poloi from needing to unduly bow and scrape for my every movement. Right proper of me, wouldn't you say?

Now shall we have a spot of a test drive, dearest chap? Would you be so kind as to provide me a spare set of shell cordovan driving gloves? I wouldn't want to sully the steering wheel with this naff caviar and truffle dust I've unfortunately let creep under my most unruly fingernails. Pity.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #32
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I say, pardon me good sir, it appears I did not have time to allow the chauffeur to circle around my manor and allow me to don my proper formal attire for this here automotive shopping lark I have presently undertaken.

What, that beat up old E90 out there? No, no, that's just a cloaking device upon my new Pullman. I agreed to the subterfuge to keep the hoi poloi from needing to unduly bow and scrape for my every movement. Right proper of me, wouldn't you say?

Now shall we have a spot of a test drive, dearest chap? Would you be so kind as to provide me a spare set of shell cordovan driving gloves? I wouldn't want to sully the steering wheel with this naff caviar and truffle dust I've unfortunately let creep under my most unruly fingernails. Pity.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If they judge a book by its cover, they need to be trained better. It's not my responsibility to look nice wherever I go, my wife likes to dress up and look great when she goes out and that's great. I don't, I'm already confined in business professional clothes all week long. I have the right to wear what I want. And please tell me how wearing shorts, flip flops and a shirt (none of which were ripped) is really not worthy of test driving an M powered car. There are a lot of wealthy people that doesn't feel the need to show off their wealth and they dress in average/relaxed clothing. Fact of the matter is, I don't need to go to a dealership and tell them hey I make more money than the 3 of you + your sales manager combined in a year, now let me test drive the M3; do some people do that ? Yes, but I don't feel the need to and I'm not going to scream at them for not letting me drive. It's just irritating being the consumer.

How am I being sensitive ? Because they won't let me test drive ? Is that how a seller is supposed to react when someone rolls in and asks for a test drive ? I have better things to do than take my wife and my two girls to the dealership to waste my precious weekend. If I had no intention to buy it then maybe I wouldn't take them; these reps need to be better trained and think beyond the cover (some are very smart and respectful).
There is a difference between flaunting and dressing respectfully. Not a hard concept. You said you dressed like a bum, not me. Then you define bum as flip flops, shorts and a polo (which is not my definition of a bum; but flip flops don't convey serious driving footwear IMO). Apparently, for some reason they didn't take you seriously. People judge you by what you wear, that just the facts of life. It's no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
is this real life
Where I live it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #35
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

If you've got the current generation CLS63, don't even think about it. I honestly wouldn't even swap my 2011 ZCP E90 M3 for a F80 M3/4. It's an awesome car, but nothing too amazing.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #36
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I walk into dealerships with jeans and a button down short sleeve shirt and my Under Armour running shoes. It's not my responsibility to go chasing after sales associates. I'll browse and if you're not going to help me or acknowledge the fact that I'm there and tell me you'll help me once you're finished within 10-15 minutes, I move on. There are other dealerships that would love my business, and I wouldn't mind going out of state. I'll probably end up with a better deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #37
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:

I work in sales myself and one of the first lessons any decent sales person learns in retail sales is not to judge a person. You never know who just won a lottery - I was 19 at time and willing to talk to anybody turns out they just won the lottery and I sold them $40,000 in hot tubs while one of the other older salesman passed them by.

The same applies in business sales though as well. It's my job to dress well when I meet the customer but you'd be amazed by how many Director level to C level contacts dress in jeans and a polo. Part of that is probably due to me being in IT sales but it still happens a lot. I sure as hell don't make quick decisions there nor do my customers make quick decision about my age at least the smart ones don't (30 but I've been doing this for 8 years now). You'd be amazed by how many young people advise older people and vice versa.

Anyway shitty sales people make assumptions. Good ones ask questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #38
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I actually enjoy being discriminated. My normal get up is a pair of golf shorts, outlet T shirt, and a pair of not bad looking but extremely comfortable flip flops. No watch, no jewelry, no gimmicks.

I can tell who really wants it more and I give that person my business. Of course, after a load of haggling but its expected from me right? If I came in all Armani'ed up, it'd be kind of cheap looking to try to get the best deal but I'm cheap looking to begin with. As a Chinese, it's my birthright to be cheap.

But seriously, getting that test drive is a minimum. You're a Sales Executive, talk them into letting you try their cars. Hell, talk them into letting you take the car for a night. It's fun.
      08-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #39
mtownerman
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00 View Post
I work in sales myself and one of the first lessons any decent sales person learns in retail sales is not to judge a person. You never know who just won a lottery - I was 19 at time and willing to talk to anybody turns out they just won the lottery and I sold them $40,000 in hot tubs while one of the other older salesman passed them by.

The same applies in business sales though as well. It's my job to dress well when I meet the customer but you'd be amazed by how many Director level to C level contacts dress in jeans and a polo. Part of that is probably due to me being in IT sales but it still happens a lot. I sure as hell don't make quick decisions there nor do my customers make quick decision about my age at least the smart ones don't (30 but I've been doing this for 8 years now). You'd be amazed by how many young people advise older people and vice versa.

Anyway shitty sales people make assumptions. Good ones ask questions.
Well said...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #40
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Is it really that hard to dress nice when going to look at a $70,000 automobile? If the manager of the dealership came out to greet you wearing a tee shirt with paint on it and ripped blue jeans, would you give the dealership serious consideration? I wouldn't.
He's not the the one paying $70,000 for a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #41
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I actually enjoy being discriminated. My normal get up is a pair of golf shorts, outlet T shirt, and a pair of not bad looking but extremely comfortable flip flops. No watch, no jewelry, no gimmicks.

I can tell who really wants it more and I give that person my business. Of course, after a load of haggling but its expected from me right? If I came in all Armani'ed up, it'd be kind of cheap looking to try to get the best deal but I'm cheap looking to begin with. As a Chinese, it's my birthright to be cheap.

But seriously, getting that test drive is a minimum. You're a Sales Executive, talk them into letting you try their cars. Hell, talk them into letting you take the car for a night. It's fun.
Yep, it's an Asian thing. All wealthy asians haggle. It's a point of pride for us. We've also been calibrated to have absurd set points on "affordability" when it comes to luxury items.

Things get interesting when asians try to haggle with with each other

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #42
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Good rule of thumb: never buy from a dealer that won't let you test drive a car because of how you appear, but always negotiate with and buy from the poor trainee that gets stuck telling you about the car.

How I learned this...
Years ago, a buddy of mine took me when he went to buy his mom an aston Martin vantage. He kept an old beater jetta in the driveway for exactly this purpose (and for the first three dates with anyone he thought he might be serious about). In the garage, he had two 911 turbos, three ducatis, a ferrarri Modena (sorry I don't know ferrarris well enough to tell you the exact model) and several other fun things on wheels.

We drove to the dealer in the jetta wearing standard car washing attire with a suitcase of cash in the back that quite literally was worth much more than I was at the time. Based on our appearances, they stuck a newbie sales guy with with the "up". My friend the proceeded to destroy the poor guy in negotiation, but ultimately let him walk out with the bragging rights of making the sale to the guys who drove there in a "vintage" jetta--much to the sheer terror of all the pretentious "senior" sales people.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #43
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Good rule of thumb: never buy from a dealer that won't let you test drive a car because of how you appear, but always negotiate with and buy from the poor trainee that gets stuck telling you about the car.

How I learned this...
Years ago, a buddy of mine took me when he went to buy his mom an aston Martin vantage. He kept an old beater jetta in the driveway for exactly this purpose (and for the first three dates with anyone he thought he might be serious about). In the garage, he had two 911 turbos, three ducatis, a ferrarri Modena (sorry I don't know ferrarris well enough to tell you the exact model) and several other fun things on wheels.

We drove to the dealer in the jetta wearing standard car washing attire with a suitcase of cash in the back that quite literally was worth much more than I was at the time. Based on our appearances, they stuck a newbie sales guy with with the "up". My friend the proceeded to destroy the poor guy in negotiation, but ultimately let him walk out with the bragging rights of making the sale to the guys who drove there in a "vintage" jetta--much to the sheer terror of all the pretentious "senior" sales people.

You know, when people say they pay "cash" for a car they don't mean that literally

Why the hell doesn't he write a check like normal people? Who lugs around a suitcase full of cash in excess of $100k
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #44
SpineDoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 750 Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post

How I learned this...

Impressive fleet. What does your buddy do for a living?
Appreciate 0