F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > New watch choice
GetBMWParts

09-29-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
big fra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5,M3 CSL

New watch choice

Can't decide between these two watches. Would appreciate your opinions.

http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/the-...rich-weltzeit/

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW3714/

The IWC has been in my mind for a few years but the nomos looks lovely as well IMHO
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
MLifeCrisis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C & 2018 S1000RR

Great choices.
I like the IWC much better. Its classic, clean and timeless.
The Glashutte is nice, but a little busy looking for me.
Let us know what you get!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by big fra View Post
Can't decide between these two watches. Would appreciate your opinions.

http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/the-...rich-weltzeit/

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW3714/

The IWC has been in my mind for a few years but the nomos looks lovely as well IMHO
I think now, not later is the time to buy Nomos watches. The reason is that they just keep gaining notoriety annually, and it won't be long before their products command the same high prices that other high end watches do. I'm not keen on the aesthetics of the model you identified, but that's me...if you like the looks and I see you wearing it, I'll tell you it looks nice because it does, it's just not the looks I'd buy.

The IWC is a fine watch and there's no reason not to buy it. I'd choose a Nomos over it because it already commands those high prices I mentioned. It's not a relative bargain whereas the Nomos is. It's price will surely in the future increase too, but it will do so as a reflection of regular price increases. Whereas "marketing" and "cachet" factors exist in IWC's current price and Nomos', a extent of them in the IWC is greater. It won't be long before Nomos acts to "catch up" in that regard.

On the basis of looks alone, I think IWC is far better looking than the Nomos you identified and so it's the one I'd pick between those two specific models. One of the things I especially like about IWC's chronographs is that they are very subtlety implemented on the main watch dial so as to not produce a visually cluttered dial. That's not readily obvious from pics, but it's very obvious when you see the watch in person. The chrono sub-dials don't draw the eye when one just glances at the watch, making basic time telling easy, yet when one wants to see them they aren't hard to see.

I've often said I don't like chronos, but the IWC Portuguese was the one I'd thought I'd buy until Gallet came out with the one pictured below. Gallet, AFAIK, only ever made one non-chronograph watch, and after fulfilling the contract that gave rise to that watch, they sold the rights to the model to Marathon, so it's certain they won't make that watch again unless they buy back the rights.

I suspect most folks have never heard of Gallet. For those who are curious:
Gallet, for the most part, only make watches in response to procurement contracts given them by industrial organizations, governments, and private individuals. They've been doing that officially since the 1600s, but Humbertus Gallet began making timepieces in the 1400s.

If one collects watches and wants a Gallet, one needs to get while the getting is good -- unless one is willing to commission them to make a watch -- as the Flight Officer is a limited edition watch. The edition isn't small, but that they rarely offer a retail watch to begin with makes the size of the edition irrelevant to consider in the same way one would limited editions from companies that regularly produce consumer watches that sell at retail outlets.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Anyone know ( for sure ) where the cases for the Nomos are made ? Could it be China ? On another forum there was a discussion on where the cases were made in relation to nomenclature like 'Swiss Made' or 'German Made'

The IWC Port is my choice and it's pricey,
Do you really need a watch with 'pushers' and different functions ?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Anyone know ( for sure ) where the cases for the Nomos are made ? Could it be China ? On another forum there was a discussion on where the cases were made in relation to nomenclature like 'Swiss Made' or 'German Made'

The IWC Port is my choice and it's pricey,
Do you really need a watch with 'pushers' and different functions ?
I can't say I know where Nomos' cases are made or who makes them. It's my understanding that Nomos Cases are made in Switzerland, but I don't know by whom. (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/nomo...ml#post6600244)

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
big fra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5,M3 CSL

Thanks lads. Think it is going to be the IWC
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

The Portuguese is my dream watch..but the Nomos Tangente also looks fantastic.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I prefer the looks of the iwc because of its less busy face. I do covet a nomos and will probably purchase one at some point. Clean classic look that I love. Got a stowa first and it gets most wrist time for me now.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

i keep meaning to head to a Torneau and try on some Nomos in person

i like the shaped lugs but they seem kind of skinny

black dial Tangente looks so good.. first Nomos will have to white dial though
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #10