F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Can you get lung cancer after 5 years of smoking?
GetBMWParts

12-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #23
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
true to some extent. The tissue in your lungs is constantly being renewed to make a long story short. Yes, its a process thats continuously happeniong. Its faster as your younger and slows with age. At the age of around 18 your lungs should be completely renewed from birth, and then again at around thirty. After that your pretty much stuck with what youve got.

So, smoke up while your young, and cut the habit when your about twenty six or seven, thirty at max.
this is simply NOT true. lung tissue is non-regenerative. your lungs naturally decline once their growth peaks around your low to mid 20s. your body will outlive your lungs, naturally. when you smoke, you speed up that decline, a LOT. when you quit smoking, though, your lungs will try to get back on their natural decline, but your lungs will still quit at 55 or 60, rather than, say, 85 or 90 (average). you can't gain that back.
there have been some developments for lung tissue regeneration through stem cell research.

oh, and i'm a smoker.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #24
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
this is simply NOT true. lung tissue is non-regenerative. your lungs naturally decline once their growth peaks around your low to mid 20s. your body will outlive your lungs, naturally. when you smoke, you speed up that decline, a LOT. when you quit smoking, though, your lungs will try to get back on their natural decline, but your lungs will still quit at 55 or 60, rather than, say, 85 or 90 (average). you can't gain that back.
there have been some developments for lung tissue regeneration through stem cell research.

oh, and i'm a smoker.
fuck that. I saw that shit on discovery channel. They had a big thing on the human body and they went through every organ. They went on about this particular thing for about 15 minutes and it was the part where i payed the most attention to. I saw it twice, just so you know where i got it from. I really dont think they would make that kind of stuff up.
      12-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #25
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike335 View Post
today at school while having debating weather to have a cig or not.... a pretty interesting hypothesis came to me...

We all know that our bodies evolve over time get stronger etce etc.
is it possible that within the next couple generations people will be born with lungs more adapted to smoke? if ur whole family generation has had smokers then in your genes or something, over generations and generations it seems reasonable that lungs will be evolved n adapted to withstand more smoke then now, so probably reducing overall lung/smoking/cancer problems?

i shuda been a fkn scientist !
=)

man! that's a great idea! we should make it a law so that all kids are forced to smoke 2 packs a day starting at 1 day old. Those who survives to adulthood are then allowed to breed. I predict we'll have a smoke resistance generation in about....100 years or so, give and take about (+/-)1000 years margin of error.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #26
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
fuck that. I saw that shit on discovery channel. They had a big thing on the human body and they went through every organ. They went on about this particular thing for about 15 minutes and it was the part where i payed the most attention to. I saw it twice, just so you know where i got it from. I really dont think they would make that kind of stuff up.
maybe you were stoned.

Appreciate 0