F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone ever perform in a paid gig?
ARMA SPEED

10-31-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Anyone ever perform in a paid gig?

Just getting some ideas if you were offered to play like a 1/2 hour gig at a small venue like a coffee shop or something, what would be a ballpark good rate? It's just 2 ppl and a guitar.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 02:53 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Just getting some ideas if you were offered to play like a 1/2 hour gig at a small venue like a coffee shop or something, what would be a ballpark good rate? It's just 2 ppl and a guitar.
Is it you and your wife? I remember you and her doing a song in the music thread a while back. Pretty good.
      10-31-2023, 03:14 PM   #3
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

tough to answer - the margins on some of these places is pretty tight

$150- 200 ?

what is the Lowest amount you are willing to settle for your time?

Barter option? gift card if you drink coffee and eat there regularly

the small(er) places are extremely tough
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 04:03 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Is it you and your wife? I remember you and her doing a song in the music thread a while back. Pretty good.
Yes, good memory. We got nothing to do and just wanna have some fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldunlop13 View Post
tough to answer - the margins on some of these places is pretty tight

$150- 200 ?

what is the Lowest amount you are willing to settle for your time?

Barter option? gift card if you drink coffee and eat there regularly

the small(er) places are extremely tough
Tx for your input. Tbh, I don't even mind doing it for free just to get a feel performing in public/exp, but if that's the ballpark, that's cool too.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

don't do it for free

ask for $100 (cash or barter) and tell them you will promote it on your Insta - and give them the 'posters' to post on their Insta

plan to start promoting it about 2 weeks out - set the date and time and do it

if it goes well, do it again - maybe every 2 weeks - then increase the amount if they are seeing value

make sure you have someone photograph you for the first event - use that on your Insta as well - and tag the place on all your posts
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 3
      11-01-2023, 01:14 PM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

If you don't know what to charge - you probably aren't ready to charge. Once you have a following online and people are readily seeking you out to perform, the "just for fun part" will become an actual side gig and that's when you begin to charge.

In the meantime, maybe just ask for gas and food reimbursement or whatever, so you're not out of pocket. That's my take on it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43766.00
      11-01-2023, 01:27 PM   #7
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

To answer the question that started your post, yes I have performed at paid gigs. I was in a cover band way back in the day and we got a cut of the cover charge the bar collected at the door. This was after a few other gigs where we had to prove ourselves and most of that we did for free, or the band got paid in beer.

If you don't have a following or a reputation that you can perform I don't think you ask to get paid initially. If you have merchandise or original music to sell access to, I'm sure most places wouldn't care if you marketed those things to the audience. It would also help to ask all your friends and family to attend as well to fill the place up as much as you can. That was really the most important thing we did was getting all the band's friends to attend our shows. It helped that we played in a decent-sized college town and 2 band members were starters on the football team. It took a few months but we were able to fill up places and get some decent cash.

Thanks for listening to me brag about my younger music days
      11-01-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldunlop13 View Post
don't do it for free

ask for $100 (cash or barter) and tell them you will promote it on your Insta - and give them the 'posters' to post on their Insta

plan to start promoting it about 2 weeks out - set the date and time and do it

if it goes well, do it again - maybe every 2 weeks - then increase the amount if they are seeing value

make sure you have someone photograph you for the first event - use that on your Insta as well - and tag the place on all your posts
Ya, good pt, don't wanna set a dangerous precedent haha.

IG? Haha, I got no online presence at all

Yup, tx for reminding me re pix, esp if it will be a one-off, just to say we did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
If you don't know what to charge - you probably aren't ready to charge. Once you have a following online and people are readily seeking you out to perform, the "just for fun part" will become an actual side gig and that's when you begin to charge.

In the meantime, maybe just ask for gas and food reimbursement or whatever, so you're not out of pocket. That's my take on it anyway.
For sure we are absolute Vs doing this kinda thing. It really is just a passion atm but yup, will try to at least b/e doing the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
To answer the question that started your post, yes I have performed at paid gigs. I was in a cover band way back in the day and we got a cut of the cover charge the bar collected at the door. This was after a few other gigs where we had to prove ourselves and most of that we did for free, or the band got paid in beer.

If you don't have a following or a reputation that you can perform I don't think you ask to get paid initially. If you have merchandise or original music to sell access to, I'm sure most places wouldn't care if you marketed those things to the audience. It would also help to ask all your friends and family to attend as well to fill the place up as much as you can. That was really the most important thing we did was getting all the band's friends to attend our shows. It helped that we played in a decent-sized college town and 2 band members were starters on the football team. It took a few months but we were able to fill up places and get some decent cash.

Thanks for listening to me brag about my younger music days
Np, as long as your bragging helps me (it does), keep recounting your glory days!
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2065.00
      11-01-2023, 09:24 PM   #9
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Charge something but it isn’t much. I have a friend with a full band. They are decent and play often for free alcohol. Couple of hundred or free coffee for a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 07:41 AM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Figuring on how much more traffic the shop will get and how much profit they can make on that, probably $50 is fair at this point. But since they asked you to do it, go for $100 and a scone.

I played in bands in high school & college, we would get hundreds of dollars a night, back in the 70s & 80s. But that was for an established band at weddings, clubs, etc.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 06:59 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

So, a few months have passed and the wife and I finally did our very first live performance. I guess it went well judging by the crowd. We have since performed some more open mics. Some audience members were nice enough to suggest venues for us, so, who knows, maybe a paid gig will be in our future?

In the meantime, it's really cool to just get out there and perform in front of ppl, and the musical community is great, we're meeting lots of awesome folks!

This was our very first song, <Lost Stars> based on Keira Knightley's version that we made into a duet:
https://voca.ro/14S6POYPV01S
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2024, 11:55 PM   #12
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Here’s a thought: make sure you have the correct insurance.

For example, let’s say that your guitar is covered by your homeowners insurance. Chances are that the coverage does not extend to professional gigs.

So, if you’re an amateur, and your house burns down—maybe your guitar is covered. But if you’re at a paying gig and it’s stolen—you’re not covered.
      02-21-2024, 09:18 AM   #13
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
Here’s a thought: make sure you have the correct insurance.

For example, let’s say that your guitar is covered by your homeowners insurance. Chances are that the coverage does not extend to professional gigs.

So, if you’re an amateur, and your house burns down—maybe your guitar is covered. But if you’re at a paying gig and it’s stolen—you’re not covered.
Good thought. I'm not that concerned right now since my axe is always by my side.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 10:24 PM   #14
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry, I realize that I wasn’t clear enough in my previous message.

If the insurance agency learns that you’re getting paid for gigs, and your gear is not insured for professional work, then any claims may be rejected. For example, that aforementioned guitar in the house fire could be rejected, if the insurance is for an amateur by default but you have been paid for gigs.

As for keeping your guitar always by your side, it just so happens that, statistically speaking, guitars at rock/pop/country/folk/etc. gigs are some of the most-often stolen instruments, according to my insurer.

Just a thought or two.
      02-22-2024, 11:02 PM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I realize that I wasn’t clear enough in my previous message.

If the insurance agency learns that you’re getting paid for gigs, and your gear is not insured for professional work, then any claims may be rejected. For example, that aforementioned guitar in the house fire could be rejected, if the insurance is for an amateur by default but you have been paid for gigs.

As for keeping your guitar always by your side, it just so happens that, statistically speaking, guitars at rock/pop/country/folk/etc. gigs are some of the most-often stolen instruments, according to my insurer.

Just a thought or two.
Tx again. I'm just doing open mics atm, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there for paid gigs, but I'm like a hawk re my stuff, so unless the guy wants to fight me for my axe, like Charlton Heston used to say "from my cold, dead hands".
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 11:33 PM   #16
Rockdiamond
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX 50 2024

I’ve been playing professionally- or more accurately “playing out” my whole life
Sometimes theres money. I’m lucky I didn’t have to survive on it. Ain’t driving no BMW playing bars for a living.
But the truth is, I do it for love.
It’s one of those things people in the audience can tell.
The best gigs I’ve ever done I can’t even remember if I made money.
I played the Felt Forum with Dell Shanon back in ‘87
I made $1k for two shows a few months back and it was great…..getting a nice paycheck.
The gig was backing up a Neil Diamond tribute act.
The guy is great but I’ve never been a Neil Diamond fan per se
But even then, when I was onstage, it was magic. I became that music.
I sense that in your posts.
So it’s unimportant if you get paid. If the people like you and it sounds like they do, I’m sure you’ll get free drinks and maybe even dinner!
Jam out and enjoy
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 03:51 PM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

If anyone wants to share their music, please check out this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:47 AM   #18
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tx again. I'm just doing open mics atm, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there for paid gigs, but I'm like a hawk re my stuff, so unless the guy wants to fight me for my axe, like Charlton Heston used to say "from my cold, dead hands".
Here’s some more info:

http://norapost.com/pub_recent/Music...0Insurance.pdf
      03-11-2024, 01:25 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Here’s some more info:

Dude, are you an insurance broker? For the last time, I'm not interested at all and please don't put a link that directly forces a download of a pdf file.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:28 PM   #20
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dude, are you an insurance broker? For the last time, I'm not interested at all and please don't put a link that directly forces a download of a pdf file.
No. I’m offering anyone else reading this thread helpful information. I know people who have had bad experiences with instrument theft and insurance issues. I also know people who have had good experiences. Doing your due diligence is part of being in the latter camp and not the former one.

If it doesn’t interest you, why did you ask the question in the first place? Stop following the thread. *shrug*
      03-11-2024, 01:30 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No. I’m offering anyone else reading this thread helpful information. I know people who have had bad experiences with instrument theft and insurance issues. I also know people who have had good experiences. Doing your due diligence is part of being in the latter camp and not the former one.

If it doesn’t interest you, why did you ask the question in the first place? Stop following the thread. *shrug*
Now I know you're trolling....um, it's MY thread!

EDIT: for the record, I never asked you any insurance-related question, I just merely acknowledged your comment.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:31 PM   #22
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now I know you're trolling....um, it's MY thread!
You make my point for me.