F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Toyota Joint Sports Car Clears Feasibility Study and Moves Into Concept Phase
Studio RSR

11-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I really, really hope that with i8 already existing this new platform is the one M uses for a 2 seats sports car.

Last edited by nicknaz; 11-08-2014 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta D View Post
Hope it looks like this...
Eeeeech. I hope it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble View Post
BMW needs to bring this car back, hopefully with Toyota's joint venture.

pass on the clown shoe.
: :
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #26
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal7 View Post
What's pricing for this to be set at?

I can't see BMW creating a car that competes with the m3 so I imagine it would have to cost less while being in that sweet spot between a 2m and 235m.

And for Toyota, if the car reaches cayman/m3 territory in pricing that's got to be one very special car to compete.
God, I hope no one at BMW shares your fanboy attitude on this.

If you are going to build a dedicated, 2-seater sports car, than build it right and give it 100% of your effort...there is no point in short-changing that car by giving it less performance than the M4/M3. This car is supposed to be a performance car, the M4/M3, as good as they are, are compromise cars.

Hopefully BMW realizes that there is a huge demand for these kinds of cars in the US and doesn't hold back on this development.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #27
mikal7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i / Rx7 Turbo

Fanboy? Wow. You guys need to drive more.

But my question remains- does anyone have into from BMW or Toyota on target pricing for this? This is a business product development what's the benchmark that's all I'm asking. Is it in the gtr price range or less or more? Lose the insults, stick to the topic.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #28
Kaxon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S (981)

Quote:

But my question remains- does anyone have into from BMW or Toyota on target pricing for this? This is a business product development what's the benchmark that's all I'm asking. Is it in the gtr price range or less or more? Lose the insults, stick to the topic.
I doubt anyone knows at this point, it's still very far from market. But, I hope they do realize that a two seater sports car isn't a direct competitor for the M3, and just make a great sports car (which is what both brands are really lacking at the moment).
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #29
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:

No one has any idea on the pricing because this thing is still in development. So there really is no point in discussing it right now.

I doubt it will be in the GTR price range, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

Your comment on keeping this Z car's performance below that of the M4 really contradicts the point behind making a sports car to begin with. I apologize if I mischaracterized you with that "fanboy" comment, but my point stands that BMW should focus on making this the best sports car possible rather than trying to keep its performance below that of the M4.

I highly doubt that M4 owners would cross-shop this car anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #30
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Um ... yes, please!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #31
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

They should simply build a larger and faster FT-86 and stick in a BMW 3-litre Turbo 6.

No need for hybrid. No need for big dollar development costs.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #32
Kaxon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S (981)

Interesting, here's some pricing info already (for the Toyota version at least).

http://blog.caranddriver.com/upcomin...olet-corvette/
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #33
mikal7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i / Rx7 Turbo

BMW sees sports car market peak over and it may never fully recover http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1056963

Go read this thread and see what a focus everyone puts on pricing. It's a key factor.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #34
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01
No need for hybrid. No need for big dollar development costs.
I'm with you, but if BMW really believes the i8 speaks to the future of sports cars, it makes sense that they would continue this direction. Considering the partnership with Toyota is about hybrid technology... At this point I'd be surprised if it didn't employ electric drive of some sort.
      11-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So I guess all that "We're BMW, we are independent, we don't have to compromise because we don't share platforms." crap is now out the window?

LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #36
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So I guess all that "We're BMW, we are independent, we don't have to compromise because we don't share platforms." crap is now out the window?

LOL
Naive as always.
There is no compromise because BMW are in charge of the development of the joint process of the architecture.
      11-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #37
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Naive as always.
There is no compromise because BMW are in charge of the development of the joint process of the architecture.
So the Toyota will just be a rebadged BMW? Even better then, we can get a BMW without paying BMW price. BMW I6 engine is not Toyota worthy however.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Naive as always.
Wrong. If you really work for BMW apparently you've never seen their commercials and adds claiming independence (od just 6 or so years ago). If the car will have Toyota content then it's compromised; it's not pure BMW. BMW and Toyota have a different client base, so if there will be a joint car developed to meet both client bases it will be compromised. Sorry Scott, stop spreading the BS. "Development of the joint process of the architecture." Really? Just listen to yourself. I'll not even start with the Mini and 1 Series. Please stop. BMW is like every other car company.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
So the Toyota will just be a rebadged BMW? Even better then, we can get a BMW without paying BMW price. BMW I6 engine is not Toyota worthy however.
Yeah, they can use the one from the Supra...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #40
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Wrong. If you really work for BMW apparently you've never seen their commercials and adds claiming independence (od just 6 or so years ago). If the car will have Toyota content then it's compromised; it's not pure BMW. BMW and Toyota have a different client base, so if there will be a joint car developed to meet both client bases it will be compromised. Sorry Scott, stop spreading the BS. "Development of the joint process of the architecture." Really? Just listen to yourself. I'll not even start with the Mini and 1 Series. Please stop. BMW is like every other car company.

In what way doesn't the GT86 meat BMW client base? Not enough "expensive" plastic? Not enough useless complex weight adding toys? Not enough power for traffic light drag races? Oh, I get it, no White/Blue badge.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
In what way doesn't the GT86 meat BMW client base? Not enough "expensive" plastic? Not enough useless complex weight adding toys? Not enough power for traffic light drag races? Oh, I get it, no White/Blue badge.
I'm not talking about a particular car, but rather the two companies. I'm not coming to this as a BMW fanboy, but maybe you missed that. Just 6 years ago BMW was posting adds in all the major car magazines (in the USA at least) and on TV that it didn't share platforms between Brands eluding to other manufacturers that do; i.e. Lexus(Toyota), Infinity(Nissan), Chevrolet(Cadillac), Ford(Lincoln), etc. All the while the 7-Series was slated to underpin the next Rolls Royce, and work had begun on the 1-Series/Mini architecture.

BMW is full BS just like every other manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #42
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm not talking about a particular car, but rather the two companies. I'm not coming to this as a BMW fanboy, but maybe you missed that. Just 6 years ago BMW was posting adds in all the major car magazines (in the USA at least) and on TV that it didn't share platforms between Brands eluding to other manufacturers that do; i.e. Lexus(Toyota), Infinity(Nissan), Chevrolet(Cadillac), Ford(Lincoln), etc. All the while the 7-Series was slated to underpin the next Rolls Royce, and work had begun on the 1-Series/Mini architecture.

BMW is full BS just like every other manufacturer.
While BMW and Toyota target different customer segments, sports cars all target one segment, those who like these cars and want. Where it begins to split is according to the size of the customer's budget.

Sure, all manufactures (in fact most businesses) are full of BS. But I think some insider(s) make(s) the case even worse. PR is one thing, FP (Forum Propaganda), at the core of BMW community is a completely different thing, and by far worse IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #43
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
How is the car compromised ? If both companies are pooling their resources to create an architecture that will not only define this segment in cost effective resource to offer serious Carbon intensified construction for a particular segment. Where you will have to pay more for a regular competitor.
Again that is the genius and why it is the envy of our competitors because once again it shows BMW continues to lead in innovation.
BMWi started the revolution to implement CFRP within the volume portfolio next years 7er starts that ball rolling to make BMWs models lighter than their competitors.

Having driven the FWD Active Tourer and the MINI I can tell you that both cars do not drive the same even though they use the same matrix underneath in some various form underneath.
      11-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How is the car compromised ? If both companies are pooling their resources to create an architecture that will not only define this segment in cost effective resource to offer serious Carbon intensified construction for a particular segment. Where you will have to pay more for a regular competitor.
Again that is the genius and why it is the envy of our competitors because once again it shows BMW continues to lead in innovation.
BMWi started the revolution to implement CFRP within the volume portfolio next years 7er starts that ball rolling to make BMWs models lighter than their competitors.

Having driven the FWD Active Tourer and the MINI I can tell you that both cars do not drive the same even though they use the same matrix underneath in some various form underneath.
Okay, so you've missed my point, but we can dig into the issue at the car level if you want. I'll throw the VW Phaeton at you, how well did a $90K VW sell? The average price of a Toyota is maybe $30K now? The average price of a BMW is about $50K. You really think Toyota owners are going to jump $20K in price just because the car has carbon fiber in it and may handle a bit better? Really. And how is BMW going to differentiate itself from Toyota without a significant price delta from the Toyota variant? What BMW badge whore is going to fork over $20K more for the virtually the same car Toyota offers? How would that play at the country club? These are the same arguments that BMW snobs say about Lincoln and Cadillac, those cars are really just Fords and Chevys, right?

Toyota already has Lexus and Lexus makes some pretty good performing cars that easily compete with BMW. And Lexus forced BMW into what it is today anyway, a car company that values luxury over performance, so in essence the compromise BMW made was started in the mid 90's competing with Lexus. Maybe you're right, it's not really a compromise since a BMW now drives no better than a Toyota/Lexus anyway. I guess the old adage is right, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

HOORAY!
Appreciate 0