F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Running and the degradation of joints
GetBMWParts

07-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Running and the degradation of joints

I'm 31 and have just gotten back into running over the past month or two to lose some weight. I'm not obese, just a bit overweight for my frame...5'10" 185. Target is around 165-170. I don't run a lot, maybe 3-4 miles per day 3 or 4 days a week. My question is will continued running at this level cause my knees/hips/back to be more troublesome than they otherwise would in my 50's and 60's?

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

First, there are so many variables. Genetics, equipment, distances, terrain.

A New York Times article dispelled the theory that runners have increased knee issues over non-runners - of course the article can be debated and refuted.

For me at 52 yrs - running is one of my necessities.

I get running injuries ( though it may be aggravated or caused by heavy squats ) and my observational theory is that using minimalistic shoes gave me my worst injury.

Anyway at 52 no back or hip issues, been running since age 18. In 05, 06, 07 ran a yearly marathon without training. Still do twelve mile runs. Run through cold winters. Run very steep hills and down deep descents.
Experienced plantar fasciitis, and some torn cartilage - though some damages may have been started by semi-competitive bicycle road racing in the eighties.

Anyway, use good shoes, aim for flat terrain, never increase long runs more then 2 of 3 % from previous long run.
Take a consecutive two week break once or twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Agree with the above.

I am 44 and have been running for 31 years and run in a running group (6' 1" and 185 lbs.) where some are up to late 60's early 70's (many people, different subgroups). Don't increase your mileage quickly, wear good shoes and replace them regularly, possibly crosstrain if you end up getting to really high mileage. I don't believe regular running will cause you problems.

My wife is a nurse on an orthopedic floor, people getting knee replacements are generally overweight/obese not getting them because of too much of any type of exercise.
      07-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

+2 for the guys above me. Running with the correct shoes can make all the difference. Make sure to stretch properly before and after your runs. I've been a runner since high school with some of those miles coming by way of Marine Corps long runs in boots. I have mild arthritis in one knee and had a torn meniscus in the other. Running is in the blood so in my mind the knees are good. When I'm really at it I average about 30 miles a week and that's knocking on the age of 50. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you ...........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
velopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e, BMW R1250RT, Porsche

Odd to see this post on my "new" forum (m235 ordered) ...

Let me 1 up all the replies so far: Div 1 runner here, 45 years old and podiatrist (surgeon) by trade now. Treat runners all day and have run for 30+ years, including 33 marathons, several ultras and 5 ironmans. Still competitive bike road racer. Father All American X-country runner and still a good runner with over 40 miles/week at almost 70 years old.

There are many factors with "degradation of joints" as you put. Many are genetic and if you have "them", yes, running MAY exacerbate. But, recent studies seem to indicate that running does not make one more prone to knee osteoarthritis than the general population, and is certainly better for other health "markers" (blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes/weight loss, etc.)

My advice - RUN!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Ensure you don't overtrain, or build up to high mileage too fast. Change your shoes as needed, don't let them get old and raggedy. Pretty much everything mentioned above.

I also run about the same amount as you and don't really have any issues.
      07-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Nice...thanks for the comments!

I used to use Nike Lunars but would get shin pain towards the end of their lives. I guess because of the lack of arch support. I've since been using Brooks without any discomfort/shin issues so I think I'll just keep getting those.
Appreciate 0