F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions > An open letter to the Owners of E90POST.com
Extreme Powerhouse

05-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #23
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
At least post it in the off topic section!
      05-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #24
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
At least post it in the off topic section!
And why are you here just ready and waiting to "Back up" an invisible, faceless Moderator running rampant?

What's positive about it? What's useful or beneficial to this type of heavy handed action?
      05-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #25
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

it's in the Site Related Announcements section....it's not deleted, it was just moved...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #26
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Fair Enough, Thanks...

Moved without Link....
      05-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #27
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

It's in the reader's feedback forum.

But one thing that is not at norm is that there is no trace of this thread in the original forum "General Discussion" while previously, when threads are moved to their respective sub forums, it will show: "Moved: Topic".
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #28
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
And why are you here just ready and waiting to "Back up" an invisible, faceless Moderator running rampant?

What's positive about it? What's useful or beneficial to this type of heavy handed action?
Didnt say not to make the thread about it. Feel free to complain... this was just in the wrong section.

Thats all.

hugs?
      05-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #29
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
But see how fast you were to bash the moderator.
      05-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #30
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
I can give you some quick answers until the admins chime in.

#1 We cannot read each and every message, to assume that if a thread hasn't been moderated its because we want the racist, abusive, etc etc remark to remain is completly offbase. If you really value this community, instead of attacking the people who work hard to keep this place running, try to contribute, I haven't seen many/any posts reported by the people who are posting in this thread.

#2 Because you are new to this community, i'll let you know something. This site has been moderated since its inception. If we let go of this site (or any sites for that matter) for a week, the malicious posters get out of hand. Jason and Mark have been working nonstop to moderate the forums and keep it as a clean and informative site, I too help out when I can. When you joined the site and thought of it as a nice place, this is why.

#3 You talk of censorship as if your freedom of speech is being withheld. On the internet, there is no physical violence, it is speech that is the primary mode of communication. Communication is what the entire basis of this and any forum community is. Once you make an attack on that communication then you have made an attack on the community structure. Because of that, malicious speech such as personal attacks, racist attacks and unwarranted attacks are highly regulated. If you feel you have a right to make such attacks and posts, then I suggest you go elsewhere. This rule is not going to change I can tell you that much.

I can tell you that Mark and Jason are both distressed at times at how people will complain endlessly about this site, but never contribute to help it out by reporting posts. Most will just ask to become a moderator or an administrator (power trip), but wont actually report posts and pitch in for their part.

I can tell you personally, I have a strict set of guidelines I go by, and if you make any personal attacks on someone then you will get your post removed and/or a user infraction.
Fair enough, but the claim that folks who are asking to become a Moderator or Admin are on a (power trip) may not be the case. It's the sheer amount of childish, infantile posts that are "Apparently" acceptable or go unnoticed that lead ME anyway to assume that the admins needed more help, cause it seems out of hand.

I appreciate the response, I appreciate the huge pain in the ass trying to remain impartial, help out, and at the same time keep the board on track. It's pretty thankless and a PITA. But just taking a few minutes here and there to address issues/concerns with the members directly can make a huge difference.

Not to mention having a Moderator or Admins involved that actually participate and contribute to the forums as enthusiasts. This helps eliminate a lot of drama when folks know who you are, and that you are not just some alien entity that occasionally shows up and starts moving deleting things...

Cheers...
      05-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #31
gmund1948
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335 cab,C-6 08, 73 911E 59 D,

Quote:

WHEN YOU OWN THE BOARD YOU MAY DO AS YOU PLEASE !!

I GET very tired of people whining when they cant see their words
any more.......... the major reason they complain...........
      05-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #32
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Not to mention having a Moderator or Admins involved that actually participate and contribute to the forums as enthusiasts. This helps eliminate a lot of drama when folks know who you are, and that you are not just some alien entity that occasionally shows up and starts moving deleting things...

Cheers...
This is also fair and in line to what I said in an ealier post. Perhaps we can expect more participation and interactions from our new friend, Moderator?

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #33
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

One of the thread about Japanese Tuner wheels...

all my posts got deleted...i didn't use profanity, i just voiced my opinion and it got deleted...

this board is communist

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #34
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But see how fast you were to bash the moderator.
This is easy... I've been a moderator, Admin then (Insert Booming Voice) Super Admin... Over at hayabusa.org for years. So yeah I'm a little sensitive to moderators acting without concern or appreciation for the perception that there actions can create.

I found that thing though...
      05-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #35
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This is easy... I've been a moderator, Admin then (Insert Booming Voice) Super Admin... Over at hayabusa.org for years. So yeah I'm a little sensitive to moderators acting without concern or appreciation for the perception that there actions can create.

I found that thing though...
I too have been an Admin and a Supermod for couple of forums. Still am for a local euro car club.

So even you know that no one is perfect and its hard to please everyone. I cant picture dealing with a forum this size though.

I just feel bad since the Admins of this site have put a lot of work into this site just to have people still complain. No forum will ever be perfect. Unless you enjoy a forum full of bashing and immature remarks.

Not being a kiss ass since i have no idea who the admins or mods even are on this forum.
      05-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #36
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I too have been an Admin and a Supermod for couple of forums. Still am for a local euro car club.

So even you know that no one is perfect and its hard to please everyone. I cant picture dealing with a forum this size though.

I just feel bad since the Admins of this site have put a lot of work into this site just to have people still complain. No forum will ever be perfect. Unless you enjoy a forum full of bashing and immature remarks.

Not being a kiss ass since i have no idea who the admins or mods even are on this forum.
You're right, this forum is HUGE... So why aren't there more Moderators out there to reign this thing in? Active members that are Moderators really can help...
      05-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #37
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
hmm good point.
      05-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #38
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Thanks Moderator for your quick response. I would like to clarify a few of your points.

Quote:
If you really value this community, instead of attacking the people who work hard to keep this place running, try to contribute, I haven't seen many/any posts reported by the people who are posting in this thread.
I don't know how extensively you've done your homework, but I have on several occasions reported posts that I feel were derogatory or offensive. I even heaped praise on Mark when he posted the notice on Forum guidelines and suggested they need to be read and signed off on before posting privileges were granted. Additionally, I was not attacking the people who work hard to keep this place running, I was just questioning a recent set of events that troubled me.
Quote:
Because you are new to this community, i'll let you know something. This site has been moderated since its inception. If we let go of this site (or any sites for that matter) for a week, the malicious posters get out of hand. Jason and Mark have been working nonstop to moderate the forums and keep it as a clean and informative site, I too help out when I can. When you joined the site and thought of it as a nice place, this is why.
I don't think with over 3000 posts and a year on the Forum you can consider me a noob. I do agree that it was a different environment a year ago and recently it has taken a turn for the worse. Most of the trouble comes from those uninformed, financially privileged, immature, socially inept individuals whose parents never instructed them how to properly act in public and some of us have taken them under our wing to set them straight. Maybe those with few posts who incite antagonistic behavior should be banned from the forum.
Quote:
I can tell you personally, I have a strict set of guidelines I go by, and if you make any personal attacks on someone then you will get your post removed and/or a user infraction.
I appreciate your efforts and would hope you share with us what your set of guidelines consist of. They should be in step with these:http://www.e90post.com/forums/announcement.php?f=2&a=2 but if there are other guidelines that you adhere to, we would like to know.

Perhaps before you delete a post that you find objectionable, but not a blatant infraction, you could get a sense of who the poster is and what he has contributed to the community. You certainly don't want to shoot one of the deputies just because you saw him aiming a gun at someone else. A shoot first, talk later approach is never advisable in a civil society.

For what are we? Barbarians?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #39
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Sorry for the OT post, but does anyone know what just happened to the "335 Bashing" thread?

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #40
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

It seems like a gradual increase in problems. In the beginning, the list was simple, little acrimony. When someone was out of line fellow posters suggested more constructive ways of getting a point across and all was calm again. Even the Tine wars -- Will there be a 335? Will it be a turbo? -- were relatively benign.

Now the list is enormous, and the pace of new threads and posts orders of magnitude faster. IMO Jason and Mark have done a remarkable job. E90Post emerged from obscurity into arguably the most interesting new BMW list. Other lists -- e.g., Bimmerfest -- used to dwarf E90Post. Now if you want to know what is happening, you look here.

What I find remarkable is the lack of intrusion into release of proprietary BMW info. Mind you, it's not like issues of industrial espionage. But still, there were really important posts here that were the primary source of information distribution about stuff that BMW evidently did not want public.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
good moderating here
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64365

so why is this thread still open then?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64366
with comments like
"Wow...I hope this is a joke, that ****** needs to be punched in the face...then beaten with a bat."

it's not my forum, so moderate as you feel fit

but seems like comments about beating faggots with bats are worse than a sarcastic remark about the 335 being better than an Enzo
The entire thread is now gone. Too bad since it had some good posts in it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #42
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Moderators moderate. If you have a problem with their moderation, contact them privately. They usually have a good reason for their actions. If not, perhaps you can convince them to reconsider. Happens on the board where I moderate.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #43
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
It seems like a gradual increase in problems. In the beginning, the list was simple, little acrimony. When someone was out of line fellow posters suggested more constructive ways of getting a point across and all was calm again. Even the Tine wars -- Will there be a 335? Will it be a turbo? -- were relatively benign.

Now the list is enormous, and the pace of new threads and posts orders of magnitude faster. IMO Jason and Mark have done a remarkable job. E90Post emerged from obscurity into arguably the most interesting new BMW list. Other lists -- e.g., Bimmerfest -- used to dwarf E90Post. Now if you want to know what is happening, you look here.

What I find remarkable is the lack of intrusion into release of proprietary BMW info. Mind you, it's not like issues of industrial espionage. But still, there were really important posts here that were the primary source of information distribution about stuff that BMW evidently did not want public.
+1

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #44
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sorry for the OT post, but does anyone know what just happened to the "335 Bashing" thread?

I was looking for this too--ready to trade jabs with you my friend!