F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any quick wins to improve ride quality?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Any quick wins to improve ride quality?

I've been thinking about springs only, springs and dampers kit, new Michelin tyres, coilovers but can't decide which is the best course of action.

Leaning towards changing the front tyres to Michelin's but the question would be, run flat or non run flat for comfort? I currently have the Bridgestones on which come from factory and on about 13k mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
Madlil
Private
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

I moved away from Bridgestone run flats last year to Michelin PS4S and I would say ride improved by around 30% but the biggest benefit was to grip and handling which was transformed. Fantastic summer tyre. I wouldn’t recommend running a combination of run flats and non run flats over different axles.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

I changed from PZero RFs to MPS4S non RFs all around and the ride quality was much improved. Before driving over cats eyes was like hitting bricks on the road. Much smoother and quieter than the RFs were. Easy win for the £750 they cost. Since then I've also had the ACS Springs and that's also helped a lot to reduce body roll.

Definitely don't mix RF's and non RF's though as I think you may cause some issues
      02-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

OP, depends what you are trying to achieve.

Pillow-soft ride ?
Taught handling but non-crashy ride ?

Either way, I'd get all the RFTs off and personally wouldn't mix RFT and non-RFT.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Yep tyres really for a quick fix.. MPS4s
Appreciate 2
330DW35.50
      02-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What's your budget to improve suspension behavior?
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

If you want that razor sharp handling and turn in response, start researching the M4 control arm upgrade...
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaton88 View Post
Any quick wins to improve ride quality?
I've been thinking about springs only, springs and dampers kit, new Michelin tyres, coilovers but can't decide which is the best course of action.

Leaning towards changing the front tyres to Michelin's but the question would be, run flat or non run flat for comfort? I currently have the Bridgestones .....
For comfort, non Run-flat tyres are a large improvement over the Bridgestone S001 Run-flat that were fitted to my 435. The Bridgestone used to really thump over certain road features, felt like the suspension was going to come up through the bonnet more than a few times, very disconcerting. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 have yet to do this since fitment six months ago.

Lowering springs, with all other things being equal, will doubtless introduce some harshness over smaller imperfections. Certainly the AC Schnitzer springs did this on my XDrive model.

HTH.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quick question on the mp4s. What sort of mileage are puerile getting out of them?
I'm running bridgestones s001 and on 33k miles from new. Loads of motorways. I know they have a reputation of being bricks, but I don't find them that bad. Wouldn't want a super sport tyre that only did 20k pic my work run...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Quick question on the mp4s. What sort of mileage are puerile getting out of them?
I'm running bridgestones s001 and on 33k miles from new. Loads of motorways. I know they have a reputation of being bricks, but I don't find them that bad. Wouldn't want a super sport tyre that only did 20k pic my work run...
I've done about 20K on my MPS4S.

Rears are 3mm/4mm, fronts are 3.5mm inner shoulder and 5.5mm outer shoulders but the car is running -1°45' camber. That mileage includes at least 6 track evenings and about 150 track miles at Spa, plus a reasonably heavy right foot. Less than half my mileage is motorways.

If a high proportion of your mileage is motorway cruising you'd probably get at least double the lifespan.

MPS4S is a great tyre.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
If you want that razor sharp handling and turn in response, start researching the M4 control arm upgrade...
Please say a bit more? Like price and benefits and do they fit X drive? I've done acs springs and dampers and mp4s.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

Leaning towards changing the front tyres to Michelin's but the question would be, run flat or non run flat for comfort? I currently have the Bridgestones on which come from factory and on about 13k mileage.
What year, model, mileage, wheels/tires on your car now?
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Thanks chaps, I've just pulled the trigger on 4 new MPS4S to be fitted at my local ATS via BlackCircles next Thursday.

Came in at £632.80 (including a 5% per tyre promo code I found on Google).

My current Bridgestones from factory have practically no wear on them, am I able to sell them on or is that a waste of time? Has anyone ever done this?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #14
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

how much tread is left on your rear tyres? i’m after some for a lease car that’s going back soon!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #15
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Shame you weren’t closer to me, looking to swap mine for run flats before I vt

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #16
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
Please say a bit more? Like price and benefits and do they fit X drive? I've done acs springs and dampers and mp4s.
thanks
XDrive... you will want to follow FaRKle! He's got an XDrive too.

But for control arms...
So the stock ones are like one...

The big part of the lollipop shape is nearly 1 solid inch of rubber around a mounting shaft. It's great for a compliant ride, but makes for REALLY vague turn in response and cornering.

With the M4 and other monoball style control arms. They reduce that rubber surround and instead of a shaft, they put a rotating mono-ball bearing. So the bearing handles the turning versus the rubber.

So what you get is a much more precise turn-in and way better feedback when you corner.

The CON is ride quality. Less rubber to dampen bumps means well... more bumps that you feel.

So before you do this, find someone with a monoball or an M3/M4 owner. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

I went with the Turner Monoball, runs about $550 a set and about 2+ hours to install for the X. RWD is like 45min.

If I had to do it again, I'd lean toward the M3/M4 ones for $435 ish.

[ EDIT ] Apologize!!! Thanks for catching that guys! The M3/M4 control arms won't work with the X Drive.
In fact, the XDrive has some suspension geometry considerations versus my RWD car.

But if you want to do some reading, Turner does a nice job of explaining things...

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-monoball_guide

Nice video from Turner on Monoball tech...

Last edited by exE36M3; 02-24-2020 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13731.50
      02-24-2020, 04:24 AM   #17
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

But for control arms...

The big part of the lollipop shape is nearly 1 solid inch of rubber around a mounting shaft. It's great for a compliant ride, but makes for REALLY vague turn in response and cornering.

With the M4 and other monoball style control arms. They reduce that rubber surround and instead of a shaft, they put a rotating mono-ball bearing. So the bearing handles the turning versus the rubber.

So what you get is a much more precise turn-in and way better feedback when you corner.

The CON is ride quality. Less rubber to dampen bumps means well... more bumps that you feel.

So before you do this, find someone with a monoball or an M3/M4 owner. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

I went with the Turner Monoball, runs about $550 a set and about 2+ hours to install for the X. RWD is like 45min.

I'm liking the sound of this. Thanks very much. Why would you now go M3/M4 ones instead of the Turners? Just price?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:59 AM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
thanks

But for control arms...

A couple of comments...

For the steering improvement that you are talking about, it is the upper control arms (which often appear to be lower in diagrams!), also called thrust arms or tension struts.

Farkle! provided great info. Read his posts. I'm having a new manufacturer install thrust arm monoballs on my F30 xDrive next week to be followed by testing with some friends. I'd expect a video after that.

M3/M4 thrust arms can NOT be installed on an F30 xDrive! It will break the front axle! See Kies Motorsports video.

Appreciate 2
exE36M3492.50
      02-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks chaps, I've just pulled the trigger on 4 new MPS4S to be fitted at my local ATS via BlackCircles next Thursday.

My current Bridgestones from factory have practically no wear on them, am I able to sell them on or is that a waste of time? Has anyone ever done this?
MPS4S are incredible! Remarkable how they grip the curves in dry and in wet.

I don't recall if you said if your stock size is 225/45-18. If so, you have the opportunity to upgrade your size at the same time.

235/45-18 are better handling and comfort than stock.

245/45-18 have better handling and the best comfort. Plus they fill up tire/fender gap more providing a lowered appearance

245/40-18 provide the best handling. I have MPS4S in this size on my car. I was surprised to find that the comfort on rough potholed roads was fantastic. Made the old runflats seem like old wooden wagon wheels!

The MPS4S are a summer tire compound so they should be removed when air temperatures get down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit and replaced for winter with all seasons like the old runflats or with dedicated winter tires.

I have winter Michelin X-ICE Xi3. They amaze me as you can feel the rubber getting softer as the temperature drops and the tread handles ice like it's dry road.

For those who don't want to deal with swapping tires the Michelin All Season A/S 3+ is an excellent choice. I researched all three tire types separately and Michelin happened to win all three for my driving, climate and road conditions. TireRack website is a great resource.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:24 AM   #20
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

I don't recall if you said if your stock size is 225/45-18. If so, you have the opportunity to upgrade your size at the same time.

245/45-18 have better handling and the best comfort. Plus they fill up tire/fender gap more providing a lowered appearance

245/40-18 provide the best handling. I have MPS4S in this size on my car. I was surprised to find that the comfort on rough potholed roads was fantastic. Made the old runflats seem like old wooden wagon wheels!

The MPS4S are a summer tire compound so they should be removed when air temperatures get down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit and replaced for winter with all seasons like the old runflats or with dedicated winter tires.

I have winter Michelin X-ICE Xi3. They amaze me as you can feel the rubber getting softer as the temperature drops and the tread handles ice like it's dry road.

For those who don't want to deal with swapping tires the Michelin All Season A/S 3+ is an excellent choice. I researched all three tire types separately and Michelin happened to win all three for my driving, climate and road conditions. TireRack website is a great resource.
Oh, after a tire swap a great comfort, as well as sport, upgrade for a F3x daily driver are Koni Special Active dampers along with mild drop Eibach springs. Approximately 3/4" is considered the same as stock spring height by Koni so ignore anyone who says that the two don't go together. It's just confusing product literature. I know for a fact that Koni tested and approved them together. Koni and McLaren co-developed the technology and it works exactly as the marketing claims.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #21
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A couple of comments...

For the steering improvement that you are talking about, it is the upper control arms (which often appear to be lower in diagrams!), also called thrust arms or tension struts.

Farkle! provided great info. Read his posts. I'm having a new manufacturer install thrust arm monoballs on my F30 xDrive next week to be followed by testing with some friends. I'd expect a video after that.

M3/M4 thrust arms can NOT be installed on an F30 xDrive! It will break the front axle! See Kies Motorsports video.

Thanks for this.
I will look forward to your write up of the monoballs. If you have any part numbers and supplier details I'd be very grateful.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #22
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Stock sizes:

225/40 R19 Y front
255/35 R19 Y rear

I have 15mm spacers on the rear so don't think I'd want to go any wider but could have been tempted with the fronts had I of known you can go up in size. I could probably amend my order but happy to stick with factory sizes for now
Appreciate 0