F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Omega vs Rolex
Extreme Powerhouse

06-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

Omega vs Rolex

I know that there is a watches forum but I wanted to get a feel for how you feel towards each brand. If you saw someone wearing an Omega are you more ok with that than someone wearing a Rolex. People with Rolex I think sometimes get a lot of issues from people that aren't into watches. Although I could walk in wearing a Patek and non watch people wouldn't know what it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You need to define what you mean by "being OK with that". Why would someone not be OK if they wore a Rolex vs. an Omega? I might not be OK with a Rolex if they stole it from my grandfather. And I might not be OK with an Omega if it's a fake. Please expand.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

My opinion: Rolex is like a Chanel, everyone knows it and it is in a class of its own (I think it's a higher tier than Omega). Omega watches are like Louis Vuitton- well known as well but not as prestigious. Jaeger Le Coultre and Patek and all those top tier brands are simply that, top tier. Those are usually only recognized by people in the know. I bet if I were to wear a Jaeger, maybe one or two of my friends would even know what it is.

In the end, if you could afford any of those brands, consider yourself lucky and enjoy it. I'm longing for an Omega Seamaster James Bond 50th anniversary. It would be nice to own but I haven't work a watch in so long I don't see the need for one now.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
You need to define what you mean by "being OK with that". Why would someone not be OK if they wore a Rolex vs. an Omega? I might not be OK with a Rolex if they stole it from my grandfather. And I might not be OK with an Omega if it's a fake. Please expand.
I mean ok by are you going to judge me in a negative way by owning one. I don't feel that when I wear my omega I am judged at all. But I don't know if a rolex would be different. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90
My opinion: Rolex is like a Chanel, everyone knows it and it is in a class of its own (I think it's a higher tier than Omega). Omega watches are like Louis Vuitton- well known as well but not as prestigious. Jaeger Le Coultre and Patek and all those top tier brands are simply that, top tier. Those are usually only recognized by people in the know. I bet if I were to wear a Jaeger, maybe one or two of my friends would even know what it is.

In the end, if you could afford any of those brands, consider yourself lucky and enjoy it. I'm longing for an Omega Seamaster James Bond 50th anniversary. It would be nice to own but I haven't work a watch in so long I don't see the need for one now.
Ok thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Honestly, many Rolex watches look "cheap" to me as they are so plainly styled and probably the most commonly copied watch there is.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

If I see someone wearing an omega or Rolex the first thing that comes to mind is "upper middle class aspirational." Am I incorrectly stereotyping some people by always thinking this? Sure. But as a general rule of thumb that's usually what I see.

Granted, I'm "ok" with anything. I don't care what other people buy or wear.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep

Ok thanks guys! Do you normally notice people with these watches. I think if I am in a dress shirt with cuffs covering the watch no one should notice.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Funny that somebody that drives a BMW would ask if wearing a Rolex or Omega is judged.

Having said that, I don't wear any jewelry anymore. I've actually been charged extra for just wearing a nice watch! (In Jamaica - jet skiing). When I asked the guy why I was charged more, he said, "You're wearing a Rolex. What do you care about a few extra bucks?" Just because I might have a little more money doesn't mean I should be charged extra. Pissed me off.

Anyways, besides my Turbo, I try lie low. I don't like too much attention. FWIW, the Turbo is probably the lowest key premium sports car. Lambos, Ferraris, Mclarens, etc. all receive a LOT more attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Funny that somebody that drives a BMW would ask if wearing a Rolex or Omega is judged.

Having said that, I don't wear any jewelry anymore. I've actually been charged extra for just wearing a nice watch! (In Jamaica - jet skiing). When I asked the guy why I was charged more, he said, "You're wearing a Rolex. What do you care about a few extra bucks?" Just because I might have a little more money doesn't mean I should be charged extra. Pissed me off.

Anyways, besides my Turbo, I try lie low. I don't like too much attention. FWIW, the Turbo is probably the lowest key premium sports car. Lambos, Ferraris, Mclarens, etc. all receive a LOT more attention.
Haha! Good point. Well a BMW is yes a nice car but I think people feel that spending more on a car isn't a big deal but spending $5k on a watch when you could spend $50 is.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post

Should've told him it was a fake. That's what I'd do if I was into >$100 watches and people tried to judge my wealth based on the watch I wear. You never ever want people to know that you're wealthy. Nothing good ever comes from it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post
Haha! Good point. Well a BMW is yes a nice car but I think people feel that spending more on a car isn't a big deal but spending $5k on a watch when you could spend $50 is.
Why are you so concerned about what others may think of you?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Ok thanks guys! Do you normally notice people with these watches. I think if I am in a dress shirt with cuffs covering the watch no one should notice.
Once you own a nice watch, you'll notice others with nice watches also. Same thing with pregnant women: they'll notice other pregnant women also. You save and finally purchase a 911? You'll notice other 911s also. It's a natural phenomenon.

Personally, I judge someone by their shoes. You can tell a lot about a man based on his shoes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Once you own a nice watch, you'll notice others with nice watches also. Same thing with pregnant women: they'll notice other pregnant women also. You save and finally purchase a 911? You'll notice other 911s also. It's a natural phenomenon.

Personally, I judge someone by their shoes. You can tell a lot about a man based on his shoes.
Yeah, just like when we bought specific vehicle, we notice more of specific brand/model vehicles.

Shoes? Not me.I usually tell by how they talk. I can find out how diverse they are, to where they are from to all sort of things from it.
You would be extremely surprised what kinda crap my wife and I wear (footwear).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I prefer Omega to Rolex simply because Rolex watches look very bland. A Rolex would certainly draw more attention though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #16
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

While on the topic, anyone have opinion on Rado watches? Quality, build, perception, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #17
dmath
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A supercharged box of giggles

I think both are great brands,about equal IMO. Obviously Rolex has the bigger reputation but I don't see them as superior in quality. But why limit yourself to those brands? If you want to fly under the radar, consider GO, IWC, Zenith, JLC. All excellent brands and only watch guys will know what they are.
      06-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmath View Post
I think both are great brands,about equal IMO. Obviously Rolex has the bigger reputation but I don't see them as superior in quality. But why limit yourself to those brands? If you want to fly under the radar, consider GO, IWC, Zenith, JLC. All excellent brands and only watch guys will know what they are.
Personally not a watch guy, but I've sold some used watch on eBay off of Police auctions. Jaeger-LeCoultre's, IWC, Zenith, and GO are fairly expensive.

IF i get to have a free watch, I would not mind having girard perregaux.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #19
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

What if they wear sneakers like Jordans?

Bimmer plus Rolex just makes you a bigger douchebag. J/K. I probably have the lowest Rolex with my Explorer I but I love it. It's what I wanted.
      06-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #20
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Should've told him it was a fake. That's what I'd do if I was into >$100 watches and people tried to judge my wealth based on the watch I wear. You never ever want people to know that you're wealthy. Nothing good ever comes from it.
      06-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
I know that there is a watches forum but I wanted to get a feel for how you feel towards each brand. If you saw someone wearing an Omega are you more ok with that than someone wearing a Rolex. People with Rolex I think sometimes get a lot of issues from people that aren't into watches. Although I could walk in wearing a Patek and non watch people wouldn't know what it is.
  1. I wouldn't and won't give a tinker's dam what watch someone else is wearing so long as they show up places on time -- specifically the meetings they have with me -- if they are relying on the watch to make that happen.
  2. I have several Rolex watches and two Omegas. I've never gotten any sort of issue from anyone about wearing any of them. At the worst, some 30+ years ago, I got teased playfully by friends about my first Rolex, and that was mostly because I bought mine before they bought theirs. I gave as good as I got once they joined the Rolex "club." <wink>
  3. As far as my thoughts about the brands, there's no question that as a brand, Rolex far outstrips Omega in terms of the actual business value of the brand. In terms of how folks who know nothing about watches go, Rolex also has the more highly thought of brand name, although both brands are quite well known by most all middle class or higher (economically) people on the planet, as judged by Western standards.
  4. As far as the watches themselves are concerned, I think Omega is a tick ahead of Rolex on the innovation front, what with their co-axial escapement which is a really super movement. Rolex have been and continue offering in all their watches movements that are substantively unchanged from those offered some 70 years ago, although Rolex have gussied them up with more decoration in the past 20 years. That's good for Rolex as a business, and to their credit, they are excellent, solid movements that aren't fussy and are easy to own. They have a good thing that doesn't need fixing.
  5. In terms of the art of watchmaking, Omega bests Rolex, hands down. The only complications Rolex offer are GMT and chronograph, and it wasn't until sometime in this century that Rolex even began to make their own chronograph movements, using Zenith's ebauches before that. Omega offers a wider assortment of complications, so I guess on some level, one can say Omega are better watchmakers, although that's only relevant if one actually buys one of those complicated watches, and quite frankly, most folks don't. (Note: Being able to produce one's own movements only speaks to the capabilities of the maker, not whether the watch/movement itself actually performs better.)
All the best.

Edit:
As for who recognizes a Patek or any other fancy watch brand, who cares if folks do or don't? I always recommend folks buy watches to please themselves rather than to please (in some way, even if it's just recognition) others, unless, of course, one or more of those other folks is actually going to pay for the watch, in which case I suppose one must please them at least in terms of their budget constraints. <wink>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 06-12-2014 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

People around you are always going to say something good or bad about whatever you do !!! So stop worrying about what people think of this and that, your life, your money. Do whatever makes you/ your family happy !!!
Appreciate 0