F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Splenda. Yay or Nay???
Extreme Powerhouse

01-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

+ 1 on stevia, althouh it's becoming the "rave" and I'm not at all sure it's still as good as 10 years ago here in the States. I used to get a black liquid form. A couple of drops would sweeten a cup of coffee. I worked up to about a dozen drops per large iced tea, it had a licorice-like taste. The stuff my sis-in-law brings over in a little bag like Spledna is totally different as it's been crystalized, and that had to involve some chemicals . . .

I don't add anything to tea any more, but still need something in the coffee. Since I only have that about twice a week, I stick with Equal. I've noticed this foaming effect when the Splenda goes in the coffee.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #46
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

i try to avoid adding more known chemicals to my body. (no artificial sweeteners)

its hard to rid oneself of ingesting chemicals altogether. (too much in too many foods, some of which are unknown to even the more educated eater)

but i try to stay as natural as possible.

OT: anyone like Pepsi Natural? They claim its 100% natural sugar (still sugar but easier for the body to metabolize and burn)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #47
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Try Truvia.

Natural is always better than chemically engineered and Splenda is not as natural as it was claimed to be. However, Truvia is 100% natural and derived from the Stevia plant.

Calories can add up and sugar is a big contributor to the Gut Factor.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #48
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Try Truvia.

Natural is always better than chemically engineered and Splenda is not as natural as it was claimed to be. However, Truvia is 100% natural and derived from the Stevia plant.

Calories can add up and sugar is a big contributor to the Gut Factor.

-SZ
thats the one! i found a box of it at home but forgot the name.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #49
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
try the natural stuff like sun crystals
5-7 a day is alot

i do coffee black and tea straight up... so nope nope chemicals for me!
      01-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #50
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

I would rather sugar over Splenda, because of the natural vs unnatural thing. Too many calories? Stop using as much.
      01-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #51
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Splenda is sucralose, a man-made sweetener. I would avoid. It is a chemical that should not be ingested by humans. Avoid aspartame/NutraSweet as well for the same reasons.

A much better choice would be Stevia, a naturally sweet herb.
A product of insecticide research... ummm... wow! You learn something new and disgusting every day.

Definitely a NAY here.
      01-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #52
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

All the other older ones are rat poison . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #53
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
All sweeteners, whether perceived as "natural" or manufactured, represent some amount of risk to health (eg, increased calorie consumption and the possibility for developing type 2 diabetes, to the possible carcinogenic effects of some man-made additives).

Like with everything else, the key is moderation. Period.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #54
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Show me proof that Splenda will kill you. Legit proof instead of some stupid once in a million heart attack death from digesting splenda at the exact same time their heart decides to give out. Sugar won't help you drop 70 lbs in two years like splenda has done for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #55
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmamg View Post
i try to avoid adding more known chemicals to my body. (no artificial sweeteners)

its hard to rid oneself of ingesting chemicals altogether. (too much in too many foods, some of which are unknown to even the more educated eater)

but i try to stay as natural as possible.

OT: anyone like Pepsi Natural? They claim its 100% natural sugar (still sugar but easier for the body to metabolize and burn)
I haven't tried Pepsi natural, although I hear they have a throwback version that uses sugar instead of HFCS which apparently makes it taste better.

As far as "natural", FDA does not have standards as to what natural really means (unlike the USDA organic label, which does have standards and is certified). So while you might consider sugar natural, it does go through a lengthy milling and refinement process that includes the use of various chemicals to purify, clean and assist in the creation of sugar crystals. So, is it really completely natural, not really...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #56
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
Show me proof that Splenda will kill you. Legit proof instead of some stupid once in a million heart attack death from digesting splenda at the exact same time their heart decides to give out. Sugar won't help you drop 70 lbs in two years like splenda has done for me.
From the manufacturers own study (Splenda):

"The results of the tests done by Splenda’s manufacturers, McNeil Nutritionals, are also quite worrisome. Their studies revealed that test rodents suffered from dangerous side effects such as shrunken thymus glands, and enlarged livers and kidneys … and there were only short term studies. No long term studies were performed before Splenda was approved by the FDA. One could say that the long-term study is being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with consumers as the test rodents."

Source: http://www.steviacafe.net/dangers-of-splenda

Also, I heard that Splenda shrinks your Penis...

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #57
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
From the manufacturers own study (Splenda):

"The results of the tests done by Splenda’s manufacturers, McNeil Nutritionals, are also quite worrisome. Their studies revealed that test rodents suffered from dangerous side effects such as shrunken thymus glands, and enlarged livers and kidneys … and there were only short term studies. No long term studies were performed before Splenda was approved by the FDA. One could say that the long-term study is being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with consumers as the test rodents."

Source: http://www.steviacafe.net/dangers-of-splenda

Also, I heard that Splenda shrinks your Penis...

-SZ
Not sure of steviacafe would be a reputable source. The safety of sucralose is pretty well documented and has been approved for use as a food additive all over the world - even in countries that practice the precautionary principle like France.

There have been studies funded by the sugar industry and even the parent companies of competing brands that try to call into question sucralose's (Splenda) safety, but those probably should be taken with a grain of salt too.

It's been approved since 1998, and since then over 100 studies have come out and pretty much affirmed that in normal amounts its fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #58
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
Never will understand why people want to use chemicals instead up good honest sugar.
Never understand why people assume REFINED sugar is better or much different than Splenda.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #59
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
I have recently started substituting Splenda as opposed to using sugar.

I use like 5-7 of those little packets you get(I jack them from Tim Hortons) a day. what's you opinion on this guys? is it bad or a good substitute?
It can have the same effect on you as sugar. If you want a healthier alternative - look for Stevia.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #60
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
It can have the same effect on you as sugar. If you want a healthier alternative - look for Stevia.
I'm not sure what makes everyone automatically assume Stevia is safe. It, too, has some questionable effects on health despite what some if its hard core supporters might say.

"Here’s what troubles toxicologists:

Reproductive problems. Stevioside “seems to affect the male reproductive organ system,” European scientists concluded last year. When male rats were fed high doses of stevioside for 22 months, sperm production was reduced, the weight of seminal vesicles (which produce seminal fluid) declined, and there was an increase in cell proliferation in their testicles, which could cause infertility or other problems.1 And when female hamsters were fed large amounts of a derivative of stevioside called steviol, they had fewer and smaller offspring.2 Would small amounts of stevia also cause reproductive problems? No one knows.

Cancer. In the laboratory, steviol can be converted into a mutagenic compound, which may promote cancer by causing mutations in the cells’ genetic material (DNA). “We don’t know if the conversion of stevioside to steviol to a mutagen happens in humans,” says Huxtable. “It’s probably a minor issue, but it clearly needs to be resolved.”

Energy metabolism. Very large amounts of stevioside can interfere with the absorption of carbohydrates in animals and disrupt the conversion of food into energy within cells. “This may be of particular concern for children,” says Huxtable."

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/4_00/stevia.html
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #61
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

^ in MODERATION, use stevia. IF you fed a rat large quantities of water for 22 months, he'd have some sort of urinary issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #62
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Tried the new Stevia sweetened pure/squeezed OJ.

Would have liked my money back. Poured it down the drain.

About to leave for the gym and am drinking this. I don't usually drink anything other than Canada Dry ginger ale but this stuff is tasty and gets me wooped up to lift.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #63
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

All these "throwback" sodas coming out made with real sugar
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #64
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Not much "real" left in the world is there?

Mixing one with some Creatine blend in about 5 minutes. I am going to lift 5 million pounds today.
Appreciate 0