F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2015 Z06 650hp/650tq, weighs 3,524 lbs @ $78,995
ARMA SPEED

01-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #221
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

With better performance than a ZR1 as well...
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #222
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Uhhh...???

The current ZR1 starts at $112k and goes up from there.

Car & Driver said with every option put on the new Z06, it will still be under $100k.

So you looking minimum starting pricing $20k below the current ZR1.
Just wow. Another reason to buy this car. Fully loaded $100k is great
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #223
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Well Vette buyers better get used to a 6 figure Vette now since this Z06 is going to be running somewhere around 120k.
Quote:
How do you expect GM to add all the tech and parts of the C6 ZR1 to the new Z06, plus a bunch of new R&D, and somehow maintain the old Z06 price point? That is completely unreasonable. C6 ZR1 is around 120k, so the new Z06 is going to be at least the same price as ZR1 was but most likely a little more.
Quote:
I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. But I don't get how everyone thinks it is so far fetched? Even last years Z06 was topping out over 100k. The cost of parts and manufacturing has not decreased, so how is this new "ZR1" going to cost less than last years ZR1? It's impossible.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #224
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #225
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

This is the video I am referring to (after 6min), where he says fully loaded less than $100k. Since the video was done with all the Chevy engineers and execs, don't see why he would say something like that if it wasn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #226
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
This is the video I am referring to (after 6min), where he says fully loaded less than $100k. Since the video was done with all the Chevy engineers and execs, don't see why he would say something like that if it wasn't true.
Exactly. GM said that if you could afford the C6 Z06, you can afford the C7 Z06. I still find it hard to believe though. There is just so much car to this Z06. Fully loaded and ready to terrorize the tracks/streets for under $100K? Crazy. I cant wait to get mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #227
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. GM said that if you could afford the C6 Z06, you can afford the C7 Z06. I still find it hard to believe though. There is just so much car to this Z06. Fully loaded and ready to terrorize the tracks/streets for under $100K? Crazy. I cant wait to get mine.
I'm already cheating on Bimmerpost with Corvette Forum trying to get a sense of what I'll be looking at in terms of tire and brake costs based on my level of track usage. I already know I'll be steering clear of the Z07 package to avoid those carbon ceramics, but hopefully the costs of the stock iron setup or an aftermarket BBK will be manageable, especially since I'd also be going back to having a car payment again.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #228
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. But I don't get how everyone thinks it is so far fetched? Even last years Z06 was topping out over 100k. The cost of parts and manufacturing has not decreased, so how is this new ZR1 going to cost less than last years ZR1? It's impossible.

Oh and I didn't say it is going to start around 120k. I said the car will cost roughly 120k. I'm referring to a car someone would actually buy, not a base model MSRP that is on the books but doesn't really exist.
Actually the costs have gone down, gm is using a new carbon fiber process

"......Each is formed and cured by Plasan’s process 75 percent faster than previous autoclaved parts, and they require 80 percent less postmold finishing."

And all corvettes are using the aluminum chassis now, economies of scale, sure they had to tune a new blower, but this gm working on a small block Chevy.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #229
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I'm already cheating on Bimmerpost with Corvette Forum trying to get a sense of what I'll be looking at in terms of tire and brake costs based on my level of track usage. I already know I'll be steering clear of the Z07 package to avoid those carbon ceramics, but hopefully the costs of the stock iron setup or an aftermarket BBK will be manageable, especially since I'd also be going back to having a car payment again.
To track the Z06, you'll probably need pads, tires and brake fluid. Thats it. The stock brakes will be good enough for track days. I dont know the cost of track tires, but the rotors are not pricey at all. You can get OEM(brembo) rotors from forum vendors for I believe under $100 a piece. Pads are not much at all. The base car will have the front splitter and the Z51 rear spoiler. Te 2nd level Z06 gets the wing we saw on the release car without the adjustable center part and it also get the side aero parts. I believe you also get smaller front aero bits too.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #230
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Yea to someone that has World Cup soccer legs to handle a clutch firm enough to stand on and a Hurst SS that takes arms of Hercules, then maybe, yes it's not even remotely close. Hey, we'll just have to agree to disagree

So...why are we comparing this super car (C7 Z06) to the M4 again?
I had an F-body as well. Like I said, you just have to experience it to get it. The hard clutch and drivability is one thing. It's the getting in and out of it on short trips, and the small space in the cab, that eventually make you prefer something like a 3 series for dd.

Quote:
It's very likely. The Mustang GT matches or beats the current M3 (to say nothing of the Boss 302), so a Z06 should have no problem handling the upcoming M3. Steering feel and awards are impossible to predict, and both are subjective. I'm not sure what you mean about maintenance, but if you mean cost to maintain, it will likely be less -- though your tire and brake costs will likely be higher! Sound is also subjective, but from my standpoint, while I'm sure the (somewhat) high-revving straight-six turbo in the M3/4 won't sound downright bad, it's awfully hard to imagine it sounding better than a large-displacement supercharged V8.
A Corsa exhaust on any american V8 is sex to the ears.

I'm guessing the M3 would still win best interior over the Z06, but Chevy has definitely made some improvements to level the playing field a bit.

Quote:
Uhhh...???

The current ZR1 starts at $112k and goes up from there.

Car & Driver said with every option put on the new Z06, it will still be under $100k.

So you looking minimum starting pricing $20k below the current ZR1.
Time will tell. I'm not even going to discuss potential price anymore, everyone has said what they feel. When they hit showroom floors I will go look at window stickers, I am still pretty positive you won't be walking out of a dealership for much less than a C6 ZR1.

Quote:
Better keep that on ice until someone can post up a bill of sale for less than 120k.

Last edited by Viktimize; 01-14-2014 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #231
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To track the Z06, you'll probably need pads, tires and brake fluid. Thats it. The stock brakes will be good enough for track days. I dont know the cost of track tires, but the rotors are not pricey at all. You can get OEM(brembo) rotors from forum vendors for I believe under $100 a piece. Pads are not much at all. The base car will have the front splitter and the Z51 rear spoiler. Te 2nd level Z06 gets the wing we saw on the release car without the adjustable center part and it also get the side aero parts. I believe you also get smaller front aero bits too.
It's not so much the cost of the tires and brakes per unit, it's how many track weekends I can expect out of them before I need to buy another set of tires/brakes. Of course there are a lot of variables involved in answering that question, hence the research to find data that resembles my parameters as closely as possible. Fluid and pad upgrades are a given. A BBK on the front axle might be in the cards based on what I'm reading, especially for tracks that are harder on brakes, but of course the new Z06's brake setup may be dramatically improved. I also do like the easy pad swaps facilitated by a StopTech BBK, but I wouldn't buy a BBK solely for that convenience, and again maybe the new one will have an easier pad swap procedure.

The Z06 we saw had a rear spoiler with a clear midsection, which indicates it's the Z07 spoiler -- which in turn suggests that the mid-spec aero package will have smaller front splitter winglets than what we saw. That's just fine for me on a car that would be DDed and would therefore need to be parked on occasion, including on the occasional hill with curbed wheels, where winglets become a serious scrape liability. Still, I'm betting the mid-spec winglets will simply be shorter, not narrower -- but even that wouldn't be unwelcome on a DD. The Corvette has enough of a stereotype as it is.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #232
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

You should prowl the C6 Z06 section for answers to your brake concerns. We still dont know much about the C7 Z06 stock brakes, but you should get an idea from the the guys in the C6 Z06 section. A lot of guys track their Z's.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:58 AM   #233
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Time will tell. I'm not even going to discuss potential price anymore, everyone has said what they feel. When they hit showroom floors I will go look at window stickers, I am still pretty positive you won't be walking out of a dealership for much less than a C6 ZR1.

Better keep that on ice until someone can post up a bill of sale for less than 120k.
Wow, seriously? There's a video made by a bunch of GM engineers where they say a FULLY OPTIONED Z06 will be less than $100K, and you expect to see a window sticker of $120K? Or are you going to say you meant including sales tax, fees, and dealer markup at launch now? You started off saying there was no way the new Z06 would cost less than a ZR1 because you're getting "the same car", which implies comparing base price to base price, or at least equivalent option levels. Then you said, "I meant a Z06 optioned the way somebody would buy." But you kept to the $120K number for the ZR1, on the low side of its price spectrum, so apparently you didn't intend to apply that "what someone would buy" qualification to the ZR1 as well to keep things fair; I bet if you could find ANY spec of a Z06 that matched the ZR1's BASE price, you'd claim you were right. Hardly a fair and honest comparison. But based on that video, even stacking the deck against the Z06 that way apparently wouldn't pan out.

I admire persistence and conviction as much as the next guy, but seriously man, you're wrong. Saying you'll wait for a window sticker is a total cop-out here since you know nobody's still going to be reading this thread when the Z06 actually launches a year from now.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 01-14-2014 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #234
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson
You should prowl the C6 Z06 section for answers to your brake concerns. We still dont know much about the C7 Z06 stock brakes, but you should get an idea from the the guys in the C6 Z06 section. A lot of guys track their Z's.
That's exactly where I've been lurking. I'll also be talking to Z06 track guys a lot more at future events.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #235
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, seriously? There's a video made by a bunch of GM engineers where they say a FULLY OPTIONED Z06 will be less than $100K, and you expect to see a window sticker of $120K? Or are you going to say you meant including sales tax, fees, and dealer markup at launch now? You started off saying there was no way the new Z06 would cost less than a ZR1 because you're getting "the same car", which implies comparing base price to base price. Then you said, "I meant a Z06 optioned the way somebody would buy." But apparently you didn't intend to apply that qualification to the ZR1 as well to keep things fair; I bet if you could find ANY spec of a Z06 that matched the ZR1's BASE price, you'd claim you were right. Hardly a fair and honest comparison. But based on that video, even stacking the deck against the Z06 that way apparently wouldn't pan out.

I admire persistence and conviction as much as the next guy, but seriously man, you're wrong. Saying you'll wait for a window sticker is a total cop-out here since you know nobody's still going to be reading this thread when the Z06 actually launches a year from now.
I think what he's trying to get at is that Dealer markup on these is going to push the price north of what the execs are saying it should be fully loaded at. If you focus entirely on what it will cost direct from GM, yeah, he's wrong. But if history has told us anything, every time a new Corvette comes out, the dealers jack the price up five to fifteen grand because they know some idiot will pay out the nose to get one.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #236
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly where I've been lurking. I'll also be talking to Z06 track guys a lot more at future events.
Good idea
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #237
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift
I think what he's trying to get at is that Dealer markup on these is going to push the price north of what the execs are saying it should be fully loaded at. If you focus entirely on what it will cost direct from GM, yeah, he's wrong. But if history has told us anything, every time a new Corvette comes out, the dealers jack the price up five to fifteen grand because they know some idiot will pay out the nose to get one.
Sure, but that's a temporary condition that also existed for the ZR1 -- and to an even greater extent since the ZR1 was intended to be a limited production run. But the markup ZR1 price wasn't what he was quoting, and his whole point was that it would be impossible for GM to deliver a car with ZR1 performance for less than they charged for the ZR1, which has pretty clearly been proven wrong straight from GM at this point.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #238
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I think what he's trying to get at is that Dealer markup on these is going to push the price north of what the execs are saying it should be fully loaded at.
Then he should have said that, if he was referring to dealer markups. There were some dealers charging $20-$50k markups on the ZR1 when it launched. But that was a temporary thing, so a moot point. He was wrong, just won't admit to it. ZR1's don't even go for msrp anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:49 AM   #239
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree with both of you, from the stand point of the price GM has quoted, he's wrong.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here in trying to figure out his possible reasoning for being dead set in saying it will cost more than advertised.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #240
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I agree with both of you, from the stand point of the price GM has quoted, he's wrong.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here in trying to figure out his possible reasoning for being dead set in saying it will cost more than advertised.
Some have coined the term "hater"

Has the curb weight been mentioned yet anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #241
Beedub
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500

WANT......
      01-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #242
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

MT says 3450 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Some have coined the term "hater"

Has the curb weight been mentioned yet anyone?
Appreciate 0