BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

10-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #265
M4isKing
Banned
Rep
Drives: no torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4isKing View Post
how are your lap times at the local tracks?

my buddy was 1 sec off driving in granny mode in his gt3 vs his fully modded whole shabang m3. he was driving 7/10 on cruise control and on stock tires
Here are my best tires at the So Cal tracks that I run on:

Buttonwillow 13CW in Feb 2014 I ran a 1:57-1:58 on NT01/RA1s

Buttonwillow 1CW in May 2014 I ran 2:04-2:05 on NT01/RA1s and 2:02-2:03 on scrub R6s

Chuckwalla CW in March 2014 I ran 1:58 on scrub R6s

Chuckwalla CCW in March 2014 I ran 2:00 on NT01/RA1s

I was going to go out with POC to Chuckwalla this past weekend but I got sick so I'll go out with PCA SD in 3 weeks when they run CW. I'm going to run all 3 tires that I have (my street RE-11s on my heavy 19s, NT01/RA1s, and new R6s). I'll be curious to see what the tires are with each tire. Then back to Buttonwillow with PCA SD running 13CW in Nov....first time on the newly paved track.
dont mean to be an ass but there are ppl who drive e92s with rs3, heck s2000s on nt01 that do 1:58 or less at brp 13cw. how are you surpassing grip levels of your tires in a gt3 rs with those times?

curious what your acs time is.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #266
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
dont mean to be an ass but there are ppl who drive e92s with rs3, heck s2000s on nt01 that do 1:58 or less at brp 13cw. how are you surpassing grip levels of your tires in a gt3 rs with those times?

There are plenty of guys who are faster with slower cars than me because they are better drivers. I don't really care what other people run, my goal is to improve my own times. I'm also not an aggressive passer, I don't drive bomb guys in corners, ride people's asses, and am quick to let faster drivers by quickly. 90%+ of the time I'm running on discontinued 7-year old 335/30/18 rear tires that don't have the grip that my new NT01s fronts have so they start getting greasy fast and start breaking loose in fast corners like club corners and riverside. I'm curious what I might run on the new pavement at Buttonwillow with some fresh cheater tires (R6s). I've ran once at ACS, Big Willow, and Streets of Willow last year where I didn't time myself. I have no desire to go back to any of those 3 tracks. It's Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, and Spring Mountain for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #267
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There are plenty of guys who are faster with slower cars than me because they are better drivers. I don't really care what other people run, my goal is to improve my own times. I'm also not an aggressive passer, I don't drive bomb guys in corners, ride people's asses, and am quick to let faster drivers by quickly. 90%+ of the time I'm running on discontinued 7-year old 335/30/18 rear tires that don't have the grip that my new NT01s fronts have so they start getting greasy fast and start breaking loose in fast corners like club corners and riverside. I'm curious what I might run on the new pavement at Buttonwillow with some fresh cheater tires (R6s). I've ran once at ACS, Big Willow, and Streets of Willow last year where I didn't time myself. I have no desire to go back to any of those 3 tracks. It's Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, and Spring Mountain for me.
I'm just alluding to when you said you have past the limits of tires because of the sound and feel, therefore having to upgrade. But that would mean you are driving your car faster than anyone else can, at a professional level - but clearly not the case. I would say that the tires could do a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #268
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
I'm just alluding to when you said you have past the limits of tires because of the sound and feel, therefore having to upgrade. But that would mean you are driving your car faster than anyone else can, at a professional level - but clearly not the case. I would say that the tires could do a lot more.
good thing you dont live up here and have times to rip me apart bro!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #269
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Am I? I'm just being honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #270
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4isKing
Quote:
Lol...I have no issue with being honest!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #271
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm just kidding no one will be more critical of me than me. There is always room to improve.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #272
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Okay. Jae you drive like a hoonigan.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #273
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
HULKSMASH that corner exit.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #274
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, I haven't reached the limit of the NT01/RA1s and probably never will but I have with street tires (besides I don't like how they get they greasy so quickly). There's a few reasons why I run on NT01/RA1s 90%+ of the time on the track on 18 inch wheels. One is due to cost of those tires ever street tires (the street tires will heat cycle out before they cord). The other is because I can get them in 18s which are cheaper than any street 19s that I can buy (they don't make rears wide enough in 18s). I can't run RS3s on the RS in 19s or 18s because they are not wide enough for the rear. It's either RE-11s or MPSC2s for street tires for 19s and those are 200 and 180 treads, respectively. Also, I already bent a 19 inch wheel on the track with the RE-11s (OEM wheel) so I want additional side wall protection for the wheels that 18 inch tires provide.

I never said I'm faster than everyone else, there are plenty of people out there that are faster than I am. I have a car that is capable of going very fast and I'm able to tap into some of that potential. I don't go to the track to practice drifting or sliding because the groups that I run with frown on that and will black flag you for that (PCA/POC/BMW). My goal is to be smooth with no offs and bring the car back home in the same condition it came to the track. If I can run a PB then that much better. If I want to practice sliding/drifting around I'll go to a car control clinic or rent out a skid pad.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #275
Feuerbach
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 LTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Like I said, I haven't reached the limit of the NT01/RA1s and probably never will but I have with street tires (besides I don't like how they get they greasy so quickly). There's a few reasons why I run on NT01/RA1s 90%+ of the time on the track on 18 inch wheels. One is due to cost of those tires ever street tires (the street tires will heat cycle out before they cord). The other is because I can get them in 18s which are cheaper than any street 19s that I can buy (they don't make rears wide enough in 18s). I can't run RS3s on the RS in 19s or 18s because they are not wide enough for the rear. It's either RE-11s or MPSC2s for street tires for 19s and those are 200 and 180 treads, respectively. Also, I already bent a 19 inch wheel on the track with the RE-11s (OEM wheel) so I want additional side wall protection for the wheels that 18 inch tires provide.

I never said I'm faster than everyone else, there are plenty of people out there that are faster than I am. I have a car that is capable of going very fast and I'm able to tap into some of that potential. I don't go to the track to practice drifting or sliding because the groups that I run with frown on that and will black flag you for that (PCA/POC/BMW). My goal is to be smooth with no offs and bring the car back home in the same condition it came to the track. If I can run a PB then that much better. If I want to practice sliding/drifting around I'll go to a car control clinic or rent out a skid pad.
I think your perception of driving smooth and in control... as compared to really pushing the limits of the car and saving drifts is, possibly, maybe, a little extreme.

I would get with an instructor you know and trust and have them give you good advice on where you can get to with your current tires by slowly working up your speed. A GT3 is a beast of a car and can definitely bite at the limit but I think theres a lot more left before you get to that limit, more than you think...

Either way hats off to you for knowing what you want, to be safe and in control at all times while improving your lap times...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #276
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #277
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerbach View Post
I think your perception of driving smooth and in control... as compared to really pushing the limits of the car and saving drifts is, possibly, maybe, a little extreme.

I would get with an instructor you know and trust and have them give you good advice on where you can get to with your current tires by slowly working up your speed. A GT3 is a beast of a car and can definitely bite at the limit but I think theres a lot more left before you get to that limit, more than you think...

Either way hats off to you for knowing what you want, to be safe and in control at all times while improving your lap times...
I totally agree with you. I said it before and I'll say it again, I have a healthy level of fear/respect for what the car can do. Even though my lap times are fast, there's a lot more potential. In the hands of the right driver, I'm sure 4-5 seconds can be shaved off my best times. I was considering getting a highly regarded instructor when there was an open test day around a PCA/POC weekend so that way I can get the most out of the day, including analyzing data.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #278
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I totally agree with you. I said it before and I'll say it again, I have a healthy level of fear/respect for what the car can do. Even though my lap times are fast, there's a lot more potential. In the hands of the right driver, I'm sure 4-5 seconds can be shaved off my best times. I was considering getting a highly regarded instructor when there was an open test day around a PCA/POC weekend so that way I can get the most out of the day, including analyzing data.
your CAR is fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #279
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
your CAR is fast.
Is mine fast or is that all driver?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:54 AM   #280
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
your CAR is fast.
That's what makes it fun to drive!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:55 AM   #281
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Is mine fast or is that all driver?
It's all the "go fast" mods that you have.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #282
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely hire a coach or just get a respected instructor to hop in with you. We all should do this once in a while. I had the benefit of having our best instructors with me in the beginning and now I hire a drivers coach which happens to be the co-owner of my track/race car.
Appreciate 0