F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > In-car ▝▚▖ Tim Bell CTSCC +150mph Brake Failure at COTA
ARMA SPEED

09-29-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
Race Precision Motorsport
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

In-car ▝▚▖ Tim Bell CTSCC +150mph Brake Failure at COTA

It must be a gut-wrenching feeling hitting the brakes and getting no response at over 150mph...

Honestly surprised he was able to walk away..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I just watched the outside view! I'm honestly amazed with how well that barrier acted like an air bag. Glad to see the track's safety devices working as planned or this could have ended up much, much worse. His car doesn't even look like it suffered much damage.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

Man- He was pumping away @ the brake on the straight & I guess he knew there was an issue, since they probably weren't responding. It could have probably been worse if he wasn't aware until the very last instant & would more than likely collected quite a few cars.

Glad he was okay...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

yeah, I have a 370 racecar and am in the Z community. He said the brakes just stopped working and the pedal was hard. We have an issue called ice mode that affects some guys a lot, fortunately, I have never experienced it though. I think thats what he encountered. The car thinks you are on ice and won't let the brakes engage. I run stoptech trophy brakes though. He did an excellent job of getting the car turned sideways.

Brake issues always scare me, as I had an oil cooler line once come off and spray oil on one front rotor which made me spin into a tire wall at VIR.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
Man- He was pumping away @ the brake on the straight & I guess he knew there was an issue, since they probably weren't responding. It could have probably been worse if he wasn't aware until the very last instant & would more than likely collected quite a few cars.

Glad he was okay...
I saw that at 1:31, but you continue to hear him accelerate and he keeps on the guy's bumper for a few more seconds. If he knew his brakes weren't working, he wouldn't stay full throttle and in line with everybody imo. It's not till the hard brake you see him scramble.

Would love to hear it from his point of view.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
I saw that at 1:31, but you continue to hear him accelerate and he keeps on the guy's bumper for a few more seconds. If he knew his brakes weren't working, he wouldn't stay full throttle and in line with everybody imo. It's not till the hard brake you see him scramble.

Would love to hear it from his point of view.
I think what you guys are seeing is a standard procedure after a long straight. He's scrubbing the brakes to get some heat back into them and "prime" the brake system. Once he actually reaches his actual braking point, that's when it all falls apart.

I never realized how well of a job he did avoiding everyone else under braking. The car looked in great shape afterwards for that big of a hit!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Precision Motorsport View Post
I think what you guys are seeing is a standard procedure after a long straight. He's scrubbing the brakes to get some heat back into them and "prime" the brake system. Once he actually reaches his actual braking point, that's when it all falls apart.

I never realized how well of a job he did avoiding everyone else under braking. The car looked in great shape afterwards for that big of a hit!

Why was he jabbing them? Usually you load a pad by gently pressing the brake, not enough to slow you much but just a bit of friction. Don't think you would have stab that and not notice it wasn't doing anything.

Last edited by tc535i; 09-29-2014 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
TEAM SLO
Slo'est E90 around
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i gone, 2011 335IX e90 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Precision Motorsport View Post
I never realized how well of a job he did avoiding everyone else under braking.
This!!! Great reactions, glad things didnt turn out worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
Why was he jabbing them? Usually you load a pad by gently pressing the brake, not enough to slow you much but just a bit of friction. Don't think you would have stab that and not notice it wasn't doing anything.
It does look a bit curious after watching and re-watching. Maybe just his driving style? Getting a less than usual response from the scrub with a left foot at WOT wouldn't normally lead a driver to immediately think complete brake failure. It would be interesting to hear/read the driver's thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

I read his account on facebook. The brakes were a little off in a previous turn, then when he hit them for that turn, nothing happened. the pedal was hard as a rock, and wouldn't engage he said. I think it was ice mode. I can't remember where on facebook he posted it, or I would have cut and pasted it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@tpc View Post
I read his account on facebook. The brakes were a little off in a previous turn, then when he hit them for that turn, nothing happened. the pedal was hard as a rock, and wouldn't engage he said. I think it was ice mode. I can't remember where on facebook he posted it, or I would have cut and pasted it.
if it was ice mode the pedal should pulsate as the ABS engages. If the pedal was rock solid and doesnt move then maybe something was broken or jammed.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

saw this in person... scary being a track guy... i hope im never in a situation like this...