F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > my local Shell station and Sam's Club get premium gas from the same tanker truck
ARMA SPEED

12-28-2023, 04:26 PM   #1
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

my local Shell station and Sam's Club get premium gas from the same tanker truck

I usually don't get gas from my local Shell station because my previous cars were older and I don't see the point in spending almost 70 cents extra. The premium gas price at Shell is $3.89. Sam's Club gas station a mile and half away is $3.19.

Since I got my new X1(U11) 8 months ago, I decided to use the "better" premium at Shell. The X1 gets 36mpg or better on average, so I figured the extra cost was offset by the fuel saving. My two other cars continued to be topped off at Sam's Club using their premium gas.

However, that all came to a screeching halt this afternoon. I was topping off the gas in my X1. After I was done, I got trapped. The gas tanker truck pulled in and the driver rolled out the giant hoses(tubes?) to unload the gasoline. I was about to back up to leave, but decided to just stand there and watch the driver empty his load into the underground gas tank.

I asked him why his tanker didn't have any markings. It was basically just a big shiny aluminum tube. He said he fills the tank for a bunch of stations in my area.. INCLUDING THE SAM'S CLUB GAS STATION(!!!), which was his very next stop. I knew it was kind of stupid, but I asked him if the tank had two partitions for different brands of gas? He said "nope, only carrying premium gasoline for this haul, they all get the same gas..."

While I was driving home, I couldn't stop wondering "so what the heck have been paying the extra 70 cents per gallon for during the last 8 months, if they are all the exact same gas?" In fact, I could tell that the driver knew exactly what I was asking earlier.
Appreciate 3
slilley45.50
DrFerry6728.50
      12-28-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Not too surprising. Costco officially sells Top Tier gas, just like what you would get at Shell. Technically, Sam’s doesn’t sell Top Tier, but it sounds like in this case they do. (Either that or this Shell station is cheaping out.). Fortunately for me I drive right by a Costco every day, so I buy there and in Chicagoland they are usually close to $1 cheaper per gallon.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-28-2023, 04:38 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Interesting. I can only assume maybe the stations themselves mix the additives and the raw gas is the same. But searching online seems there is debate about that and it would already be mixed at the station the tanker is filled.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-28-2023, 04:40 PM   #4
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Not too surprising. Costco officially sells Top Tier gas, just like what you would get at Shell. Technically, Sam’s doesn’t sell Top Tier, but it sounds like in this case they do. (Either that or this Shell station is cheaping out.). Fortunately for me I drive right by a Costco every day, so I buy there and in Chicagoland they are usually close to $1 cheaper per gallon.
I don't have a Costco around here. Otherwise, that's where I'll be filling up all the time.

Speaking of Chicagoland.... which Costco is the best one?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:44 PM   #5
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
A couple of years ago I followed the tanker from my local Shell station to my local Kroger station. Nice, since I'd been buying gas at Kroger since they opened their pumps!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post
I don't have a Costco around here. Otherwise, that's where I'll be filling up all the time.

Speaking of Chicagoland.... which Costco is the best one?
I’m not sure if any one is better than another. I drive by the one on Touhy Avenue in Niles and that’s where I buy my gas and where I usually shop. But, the one on N Clybourn in the city sells T-Mobile products and the others don’t, so I bought a new iPhone there recently and had a very good experience. One of the tech guys at the Niles store told me about it. And the T-Mobile guy was super helpful. Waived the new phone activation charge, gave me the good trade-in deal, and also a $75 Costco gift card.

12-28-2023, 06:39 PM   #7
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I've purchased gas at Sam's for years and years with no trouble, my place in Doral was about half a mile from one and it was a nice $$$ savings.

What I don't get are the people who will sit there, 5-6 cars deep for 30 minutes to save a few bucks over the regular station down the street.
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
ipilcher434.50
      12-28-2023, 07:49 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I've purchased gas at Sam's for years and years with no trouble, my place in Doral was about half a mile from one and it was a nice $$$ savings.

What I don't get are the people who will sit there, 5-6 cars deep for 30 minutes to save a few bucks over the regular station down the street.
+1 - I was going to stop at Costco yesterday, but the lot was full and I wasn’t hurting for gas, so I just drove on by. I can almost always find a time to go when there are only a few cars. I don’t think I’ve ever had more than two cars in front of me before I could get to the pump.

12-28-2023, 09:09 PM   #9
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

my aunt's husband is relatively rich. Not really sure how rich, but when I was a kid, I "accidentally" saw his bank statement which had a number followed by 8 zeros.(and two more zeros after the decimal) That was in 1980s Dollars, so I imagine that it has certainly increased over the last 40 years?

he's only owned 3 cars in his life. all were Mercedes. he keeps each car for as long as possible, usually 20+ years. when it's no longer financially feasible to fix, he gets a new car. his current car is a Mercedes S-Class from 1998.(yes, 25 years)

He is exactly the kind of people who don't mind waiting for 30 minutes at Costco gas station in order to fill up the tank. When he and my aunt go on vacation, they only book the absolute cheapest airline tickets. Yes, sometimes even Spirit Airlines(!!!). Probably doesn't come as a surprise that he frequently shops at Aldi. I went to Costco with him once and I suggest that we get lunch at OG just across the street. He said no and instead, we had hot dogs and sodas at Costco.

They also live in a modest condo. They are actually quite happy, as far as I can tell.

Then again, I guess that's why he is rich?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-28-2023, 10:06 PM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Cool story bro. If only I had sat in a Costco gas line for 30 minutes I’d be worth 100 million plus. Had no idea I’d be rubbing elbows with Buffett and Munger at the pump.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 10:32 PM   #11
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If I was rich cars would be my one weakness/indulgence. I do like my condo building a lot and my next door neighbor has a very nice and large three bedroom condo with a great floor plan that has about a 1,000 square foot terrace. We live above the parking garage on the first floor of residential units and we all have terraces rather than just balconies. My terrace is definitely nice at about 650 square feet. Anyway, if I ever win the really big lottery I’m going to tell my neighbor I’ll buy his unit for however much he wants to sell for!!

And I definitely would still not wait in line for Costco gas, though I would still buy there. On the rare occasion I am really low on gas, but Costco is too busy I stop at a Shell close by and get two or three gallons to tide me over.

We also have a green roof, which doesn’t look too impressive here, but in the summer it’s like a meadow.
Attached Images

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-28-2023 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 10:42 PM   #12
ttaidapos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV, M2 G87

Gas stations add their own additives. it is indeed different gas. Is one better than the other? Nobody knows. Typically, gas stations have 3 tanks, if they also sell diesel, they mix the lowest octane with the highest octane for the mid grade gas. They also make pennies to the dollar, most of the money comes from stuff they sell or a repair shop.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-29-2023, 01:36 AM   #13
Desking101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
my aunt's husband is relatively rich. Not really sure how rich, but when I was a kid, I "accidentally" saw his bank statement which had a number followed by 8 zeros.(and two more zeros after the decimal) That was in 1980s Dollars, so I imagine that it has certainly increased over the last 40 years?

he's only owned 3 cars in his life. all were Mercedes. he keeps each car for as long as possible, usually 20+ years. when it's no longer financially feasible to fix, he gets a new car. his current car is a Mercedes S-Class from 1998.(yes, 25 years)

He is exactly the kind of people who don't mind waiting for 30 minutes at Costco gas station in order to fill up the tank. When he and my aunt go on vacation, they only book the absolute cheapest airline tickets. Yes, sometimes even Spirit Airlines(!!!). Probably doesn't come as a surprise that he frequently shops at Aldi. I went to Costco with him once and I suggest that we get lunch at OG just across the street. He said no and instead, we had hot dogs and sodas at Costco.

They also live in a modest condo. They are actually quite happy, as far as I can tell.

Hot dogs and sodas for lunch will cost you more in healthcare than you will save on the food
Appreciate 2
ipilcher434.50
DrFerry6728.50
      12-29-2023, 02:08 AM   #14
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Sam's Club almost certainly buys gas on the spot market - Shell today, who-knows-what next week.
DrFerry6728.50
      12-29-2023, 03:05 AM   #15
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaidapos View Post
Gas stations add their own additives. it is indeed different gas. Is one better than the other? Nobody knows.
Thats how I understand it also.
IIUC the fuel/octane is the same but different additives are added at the station.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 06:17 AM   #16
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

I've spent a whole lot of time in many many consumer products manufacturing plants in my career and watched in most cases a changeover from the name brand product to the store brand and watched them do nothing but change the label, and maybe the color of the bottle. Certainly no change in the actual product.

Then it's funny to watch people argue over which brand is best. It's comical.

And I recently had my own experience with octane. I usually get 39 mpg to my dad's round trip, includes some stop and go driving. I have always used 93 oct. I was pretty low and the station I pulled in didn't have 93, so I used 89. Got the same 39 mpg. Not sure what I will use going forward, but I need to see both on a dyno now to convince me 93 is better. Why pay .70 more per gal for the same results?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 10:00 AM   #17
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I've spent a whole lot of time in many many consumer products manufacturing plants in my career and watched in most cases a changeover from the name brand product to the store brand and watched them do nothing but change the label, and maybe the color of the bottle. Certainly no change in the actual product.

Then it's funny to watch people argue over which brand is best. It's comical.

And I recently had my own experience with octane. I usually get 39 mpg to my dad's round trip, includes some stop and go driving. I have always used 93 oct. I was pretty low and the station I pulled in didn't have 93, so I used 89. Got the same 39 mpg. Not sure what I will use going forward, but I need to see both on a dyno now to convince me 93 is better. Why pay .70 more per gal for the same results?
Even though 89 is the minimum octane acceptable for your motor, if you use less than 91 then you’re motor’s electronics are going to be physically retarding the ignition so you don’t get pre-ignition, causing knock, which can damage your motor over time. That’s why you should pay the extra for premium.

12-29-2023, 11:45 AM   #18
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Fuel is really interesting. I'm on the West Coast Portland Oregon. So the odd thing is in one fuel pipe from Alaska they will ship every major fuel.
The way it works is basically via a stopwatch/clock. They know that at X time diesel was put in the pipe and it will take X time to arrive. Then at receiving end when they open the pipe at X time they know it will be diesel or etc coming out. I'm told there is a very small portion were the previous grade of fuel will mix. Which is sold off to industrial users that can just burn whatever fuel is all mixed up.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2023, 11:53 AM   #19
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Even though 89 is the minimum octane acceptable for your motor, if you use less than 91 then you’re motor’s electronics are going to be physically retarding the ignition so you don’t get pre-ignition, causing knock, which can damage your motor over time. That’s why you should pay the extra for premium.
was getting gas just outside of the airport the other day. the guy behind me was pumping regular gas into his X5. (saw him press the "87" gas grade) I casually said "you sure that's the right gas?" His reply was "oh, no problem, I'm returning this in a couple of minutes, so no need to buy good gas" I assumed that he rented it from Sixt because they had a lot of BMWs for rent at the airport. He wasn't even a douchebag-looking guy... in fact, he was wearing a business suit with what looked to me like a $300 fresh haircut.

somehow that guy reminded me of my old boss from 15 years ago. he always leased his cars. after a big storm in the area, he called me and asked me to bring him some stuff from the office because he couldn't leave his house. also asked me if I had a gas can. I said sure and he asked me to get him a couple gallons of gas. when I got to his house, I found out why he couldn't leave his house. the storm had knocked out power on his street for almost 2 days. he was using his LEASED Mercedes GL450(?) as a generator and the poor SUV ran nearly nonstop for a day and half to power a few lights and his computer inside the house.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-29-2023, 12:04 PM   #20
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
They are actually quite happy, as far as I can tell.
That man is battling demons you couldn't possibly name.

Anyone that goes overboard like that is a nutcase and unhappy, it's the nature of the beast. They also usually hide it well since they have been dealing with it since they were children...
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-29-2023, 12:58 PM   #21
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

If it's not a white and yellow fuel tanker with Shell written on the side then it's doubtful you're getting genuine v power.
Appreciate 3
Joachim328.00
DrFerry6728.50
      12-29-2023, 11:10 PM   #22
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

The only true scarce resource we have in life is time. I am as cheap as they get as a dollar saved is a dollar earned. And a dollar earned gains interest… but I would casually toss time. Nothing can replace it.

He sounds rich in the monetary sense, but poor in the enjoyment sense.

Obviously, I don’t know him so I am not actually casting judgement.

Quote:
was getting gas just outside of the airport the other day. the guy behind me was pumping regular gas into his X5. (saw him press the "87" gas grade) I casually said "you sure that's the right gas?" His reply was "oh, no problem, I'm returning this in a couple of minutes, so no need to buy good gas" I assumed that he rented it from Sixt because they had a lot of BMWs for rent at the airport. He wasn't even a douchebag-looking guy... in fact, he was wearing a business suit with what looked to me like a $300 fresh haircut.

somehow that guy reminded me of my old boss from 15 years ago. he always leased his cars. after a big storm in the area, he called me and asked me to bring him some stuff from the office because he couldn't leave his house. also asked me if I had a gas can. I said sure and he asked me to get him a couple gallons of gas. when I got to his house, I found out why he couldn't leave his house. the storm had knocked out power on his street for almost 2 days. he was using his LEASED Mercedes GL450(?) as a generator and the poor SUV ran nearly nonstop for a day and half to power a few lights and his computer inside the house.
This is very normal I bet. The car has sensors and will counter it. Do I do it? No, but I am sure many do. Especially rentals and loaners.

Even had a BMW dealership strongly encourage me to put regular in the loaner when I returned it as that’s what they use anyway.

Again, not saying any of us should. I won’t as it hurts fuel economy at best and damages the engine at worst. But buying used always carries that risk. Especially a rental or loaner.

I fill up at Costco and the 93 is crazy cheap anyway 👍🏾
Appreciate 0