BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

05-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #1
Trance
Village Car Slut
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Exige S V6

Intro - New to the world of ///M(3)

Hey Team!

Picked up my first M car last week and thought I would jump on to the forum for some helpful advice and to catch up with a few like minded M'ers. Previous vehicles to this included things like WRX, EVO, 350Z, MPS, Senator, Golf R, as well as a CBR600RR and a Ducati 848. Most recently I off loaded my 10 month old Focus RS in order to snap up the current ride (yes I'm a bit of a car slut!).

The new ride won't be a stranger to these forums as it was previously owned by a member, and I have been in his ear for the last 2 years waiting for him to decide to upgrade. It is a Jerez Black E90 DCT M3, currently running the titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Afe pro intake & filter, Eibach pro kit, ESS tune to engine & DCT, plus some carbon fibre goodies.

So far I'm loving it, and learning all the little ///M nuances. To date I've replace the reversing globes with LED ones, replace the tint due to some scratches, and it is booked in for a full paint correction and protection...will be magnificent after that (just need to get some new plates on it). Oh, and then of course there is the whole RB issue....and yes I understand that forums are akin to googling medical symptoms, but I think I will probably bite the bullet on that in the next 12 months (currently 55k on the clock)

Looking forward to meeting some of you

Previous rides:

And now...

Alex
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2017, 12:45 AM   #2
kosz888
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6sp Manual

Welcome to the M3 community Alex, you'll definitely find some good information and great members willing to help on this forum.
Whats the Akra exhaust system like? I'm thinking about getting an exhaust soon. I'm looking for something that is easy to live with when cruising (no drone) and obviously sounds great under acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

Welcome indeed! Perhaps we'll see more of this car now than we did when Ed owned it! He never could get up early!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #4
American Dave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Welcome aboard and congrats on a great choice. Ed treated that car like his baby.
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
PB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Agreed. Ed is an enthusiast for sure, and staying in the ///M family I believe. We will forgive him for going forced induction....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Welcome! You got bored of the new Focus RS so quickly? Mind to share you thoughts about Focus RS vs E9x M3?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Hans_Bimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Mineral White

Oofftt! That RS looked so good! I'd be interested to hear how you think the RS stacks up against the e9x M3...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance View Post
Hey Team!

Picked up my first M car last week and thought I would jump on to the forum for some helpful advice and to catch up with a few like minded M'ers. Previous vehicles to this included things like WRX, EVO, 350Z, MPS, Senator, Golf R, as well as a CBR600RR and a Ducati 848. Most recently I off loaded my 10 month old Focus RS in order to snap up the current ride (yes I'm a bit of a car slut!).

The new ride won't be a stranger to these forums as it was previously owned by a member, and I have been in his ear for the last 2 years waiting for him to decide to upgrade. It is a Jerez Black E90 DCT M3, currently running the titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Afe pro intake & filter, Eibach pro kit, ESS tune to engine & DCT, plus some carbon fibre goodies.

So far I'm loving it, and learning all the little ///M nuances. To date I've replace the reversing globes with LED ones, replace the tint due to some scratches, and it is booked in for a full paint correction and protection...will be magnificent after that (just need to get some new plates on it). Oh, and then of course there is the whole RB issue....and yes I understand that forums are akin to googling medical symptoms, but I think I will probably bite the bullet on that in the next 12 months (currently 55k on the clock)

Alex
Welcome ... looks a nice ride
      05-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Welcome - nice current ride. Interesting and varied past garage too!!
      05-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Nice pick up but be very careful because what happens from here is you start looking to move on to the P car, NSX, Huracan, and then like most of us to the Veyron and Chiron
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #11
cplagz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 AlpineWeiss 3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
1986 BMW 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey Team!

Welcome!

The tint scratches are common in E90s apparently due to the double seal arrangement in the door. I have moleskin strips to stick on to try to avoid dirt scratching my tint when I get it replaced.

As for bearings, just get oil analysis done and watch the levels every 5,000
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

I too have some brand new moleskins that I no longer need so if anyone is looking for some...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Trance
Village Car Slut
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosz888 View Post
Welcome to the M3 community Alex, you'll definitely find some good information and great members willing to help on this forum.
Whats the Akra exhaust system like? I'm thinking about getting an exhaust soon. I'm looking for something that is easy to live with when cruising (no drone) and obviously sounds great under acceleration.
Thanks mate. The Akra exhaust suits my needs, loud when WOT and nice and quiet when cruising. No drone so to speak, just that gorgeous V8 hum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenio View Post
Welcome indeed! Perhaps we'll see more of this car now than we did when Ed owned it! He never could get up early!!!
Yer I don't mind getting up early...looking forward to catching up with a few of you. Was on the RAMP003 cruise last weekend but there were so many people I didn't get a chance to hunt down the numerous M3 owners that were present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Welcome! You got bored of the new Focus RS so quickly? Mind to share you thoughts about Focus RS vs E9x M3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekMinnit View Post
Oofftt! That RS looked so good! I'd be interested to hear how you think the RS stacks up against the e9x M3...
RS and M3 are like chalk and cheese. There aren't many cars on the market that can go around corners like the RS, however it is a car that requires the driver to always be "on"...not really a cruising car. The M3 on the other hand is completely bipolar - love it. Also the RS is still a Ford and it shows...that combined with the ever growing cracked block issues made for anxious ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplagz View Post
Welcome!

The tint scratches are common in E90s apparently due to the double seal arrangement in the door. I have moleskin strips to stick on to try to avoid dirt scratching my tint when I get it replaced.

As for bearings, just get oil analysis done and watch the levels every 5,000
Tint has been replaced and will keep the seals squeaky clean to avoid this again. Will be doing oil analysis regularly but for peace of mind I have resigned to changing the bearings out soonish (with 12 months).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #14
dnbosiris
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Thanks mate. The Akra exhaust suits my needs, loud when WOT and nice and quiet when cruising. No drone so to speak, just that gorgeous V8 hum.

Yer I don't mind getting up early...looking forward to catching up with a few of you. Was on the RAMP003 cruise last weekend but there were so many people I didn't get a chance to hunt down the numerous M3 owners that were present.

RS and M3 are like chalk and cheese. There aren't many cars on the market that can go around corners like the RS, however it is a car that requires the driver to always be "on"...not really a cruising car. The M3 on the other hand is completely bipolar - love it. Also the RS is still a Ford and it shows...that combined with the ever growing cracked block issues made for anxious ownership.

Tint has been replaced and will keep the seals squeaky clean to avoid this again. Will be doing oil analysis regularly but for peace of mind I have resigned to changing the bearings out soonish (with 12 months).
Hey Alex... You have a blog right? I remember reading it and thinking finally I'd found someone who changes cars as much as I do 😃
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #15
Trance
Village Car Slut
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbosiris View Post
Hey Alex... You have a blog right? I remember reading it and thinking finally I'd found someone who changes cars as much as I do 😃
Nah mate I don't...but probably should! LOL

I usually have a build thread in the respective forum that relates to whatever car I own at the time. Been looking at maybe getting some vlogging gear and fire up a few vids...we'll see.

Good to have another car slut in the midst!
CURRENT: Lotus Exige S
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 05:16 AM   #16
Trance
Village Car Slut
Australia
Rep

Well I was hoping to get a bit of a longer run before being officially inducted into BMW ownership but Sunday arvo the dreaded check engine light has come on and the car doesn't feel quite right. Considering the sporadic throttle response I'm hedging bets that one of the throttle actuators has crapped it's dacks!

Anyway, I have conicidentally been doing the phone around to have the rod bearings replaced, so it looks like we'll be doing it all in one swoop.

After speaking to Josh at Galvsport, the car is now booked in mid next week for RB and TA overhaul.

Considering the transfer cost is due this week as well, it looks like I'll be on bread and water for a month! hahaha

Oh well, at least there should be some anxious free driving after those two things are sorted.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #17
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Ouch! It'll feel like a new car again after the work is done .....!!
      06-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #18
American Dave
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
good choice Josh has done plenty of both those jobs on E9X M3 in the last couple of years
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 1
Ingenio180.00
      06-30-2017, 12:25 AM   #19
Trance
Village Car Slut
Australia
Rep

After nearly 3 weeks in the shop, the M is finally due to come home early next week. Spoke to Josh (Galvsport) this morning and the over-riding comment was - "you're lucky you brought it in for rod bearings when you did!" Yikes, thank god for my OCD anxiety. Pictures to follow soon. For those interested - 55k's on the clock and relatively religious servicing by all accounts of the previous owner (although that will be stepped up from now on plus oil sampling). Just waiting for the throttle bodies to be patched up, one last check, and I'll be back in the hotseat. Am having serious M withdrawals.

On another note - What The Actual F@ck PhotoBucket?!?!?! No warning before switching off 3rd party hosting! Grrrr All photos on all my build threads are cactus!!

Who do people use to host pics for 3rd party use these days?
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #20
cplagz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 AlpineWeiss 3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
1986 BMW 325  [0.00]
imgur, tinypic, google drive/picasa
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
Trance
Village Car Slut
Australia
Rep

For those of you playing at home, here are the pics of the bearings......yep, terrifying!

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 03:32 AM   #22
American Dave
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
yep that is an all too familiar picture right there
Appreciate 0