F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > OT: The Official UFC Chat Thread
ARMA SPEED

06-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #89
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Yeah, undefeated (other than DQ) in his whole career and went thru Pride GPs taking no prisoners. Really overrated.

TUF noob.
I'm pretty sure the loss against Verdum doesn't mean he is undefeated anymore. A loss is a loss. Everyone is undefeated if you make exceptions to a a fight or too

I only said Fedor was overrated because many people say he is number 1 pound for pound in the world today. I don't think he is number 1 in the HW division.

Look at who Fedor has fought in the past 5 years. I think he needs to fight the top 5 guys to claim that title and he has avoided a few big fights for a while. Brett Rogers was a good opponent and imho Overeem would have been a big test for him. Shame we won't see it because he lost that fight.

Fedor and Overeem would be awesome in the UFC, the HW division would be completely stacked with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #90
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I meant before the loss man.

I don't think it's him avoiding big fights, it's a shame that he never went to the UFC though, I think we can both agree on that.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #91
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I know where you're coming from. My money was on Fedor for that fight too and I think a rematch would go down very differently but that's the way it is. If nobody makes mistakes or never gets caught then they will never lose. I'm curious to see who they put Fedor up against next as it's most likely his last fight.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #92
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
wow, what a night of fights on sat. i NEVER expected this fight would end by submission. What a shocker, I'll give Lesnar all the props in the world, any other person would have been in a coma after taking that ground and pound from Carwin
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #93
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
cant believe i didnt mention this, what heart by Chris Leben. He took out two extremely tough opponents in two weeks, just unbelievable

crazy submission by Chris Lytle, would be surprised if not broken

An the knock out by Harris, WOW!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #94
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Lesnar v Carwin was the most ancticipated fight of the year for me. I wasn't too excited about the card, mainly TUF fighters and Wanderlei dropped out but I was thoroughly impressed with all of the fights. Bonnar showed great heart, that guy never gives up. Leben impressed me again backing up after 2 weeks and he's likely to face Wanderlei next. I don't think he has a chance but he is definitely improving as a fighter.

The Lesnar v Carwin fight was crazy. I expected Lesnar to shoot for the takedown earlier but Carwin's hands were too much for him. He took that ground and pound like noone else. I'm glad the ref didn't call the fight off because it looked like Carwin had him. The craziest part was Brock seemed fine at the start of 2nd round. He's proved to everyone that he has an iron chin and he's worthy of having the title after only 6 MMA fights. I think after the fight it was pretty clear both fighters had respect for each other. I still think Carwin is the #2 guy in the HW though and possibly the #1 on another day. Velasquez didn't look to excited about his upcoming title shot though lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #95
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
lol, he def didnt look excited. He must have been thinking, if Carwin cant knock him out, what the hell am I gonna do?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #96
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Lol yea he looked really unhappy. It would have been funny to see him enter the octagon afterwards and congratulate Lesnar lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #97
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Lol yea he looked really unhappy. It would have been funny to see him enter the octagon afterwards and congratulate Lesnar lol

lol he'll do fine when he faces brock...... fine for the first 2 minutes that is
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #98
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Lesnar got lucky. Carwin proved that Lesnar can't stand up with everyone. All Carwin needs to do is go work on his sprawling a bit and his takedown defense, then Lesnar v. Carwin II = Carwin gets his first round knockout. I hate Lesnar, he's a piece of shit with a terrible attitude. I'll give him credit for executing the choke the other night, but I long for the day that he gets knocked the fuck out.
      07-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #99
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Lesnar did not get lucky. He outsmarted the engineer. He let Carwin punch himself out and then used an arm triangle that he had been rehearsing for weeks.

One thing for sure though he doesn't really take a punch well no matter what people say about the last fight. He crumbled and backed off very much like Bob Sapp does. He's not used to getting cracked. I pick Cain to hurt him and make him cry.
      07-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #100
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I don't think getting beaten for the entire first round was part of Lesnar's game plan. When he was lying on the ground with his head covered up I think all he was thinking was to hang in there. He's a true competitor, he would have to get knocked out to stop the fight. I think he told it like it was after the fight and he was more humble that he needed to be.

Also, Carwin is one of a kind. He wears 5XL gloves with the most knockout power in the UFC. I don't think there is a fighter out there that wouldn't fold from 1 solid punch to the face. Lesnar did extremely well, he's proven that he's got an iron chin to match his solid wrestling and even Carwin couldn't knock him out when he had all the opportunities in the 1st round. Lesnar impressed me the most with the choke because it shows his evolution as a fighter after only a few fights. I think he saw an opportunity to win the fight and took it, he didn't want to risk wasting another second with Carwin.

The rematch will be awesome. I think Carwin will need to work on his cardio and try and pick Lesnar apart with the punches. Lesnar is still improving though, I think in a few more fights he will be a well rounded fighter.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #101
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Lesnar got lucky. Carwin proved that Lesnar can't stand up with everyone. All Carwin needs to do is go work on his sprawling a bit and his takedown defense, then Lesnar v. Carwin II = Carwin gets his first round knockout. I hate Lesnar, he's a piece of shit with a terrible attitude. I'll give him credit for executing the choke the other night, but I long for the day that he gets knocked the fuck out.
think you are being to critical on the guy. Who can stand up w/ Carwin? up to this point no one. Everyone who's tried has gotten knocked out. I would say Carwin needs to work on his cardio more than his sprawling, he's a great wrestler but when you are dead tired, theres only so much you can do

Lesnar was in better shape and was able to ride out the storm, far from luck if you asked me. I wouldnt doubt that Carwin knocks him out in the rematch, in fact I thought thats what would happen on this fights, but its not as easy as we all thought

Cain is a completely diff animal, not as powerful as Carwin but much faster and has great cardio. Will be a great fight
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #102
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
His takedown defense was fine in the first round. He stuffed two takedowns by Brock. 2nd round he gassed.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #103
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

I don't know about Brock getting lucky... There really is not any luck in BJJ. If you get submitted, YOU messed up. There is always an opportunity to shut it down long before it happens.

I really think Shane beat himself. It was clear he did not know what to do if he couldn't ground and pound out a KO or TKO. So he continued with a failed strategy until he gassed himself out. But I don't really blame him for that, that has been his strategy every fight and it has worked. I'm disappointed Greg Jackson did not prepare him in case he could not knock Brock out.

This is the problem with having no BJJ, if you can't get the KO or get the ref to call the fight due to TKO then you are screwed and have to wait for the judges and we all know how bad of an idea that usually is.

Kudos to Brock though for doing what none else could (take a full round of ground and pound) and then come out in the second round and execute takedown+guard pass+sub very nicely. Granted Shane was gassed and demoralized at this point.

As far as a rematch, I don't see anyone beating Brock right now short of a lucky KO punch (which could happen to anyone). This was the time to beat him when he was the most vulnerable (short of his first few fights). He is going to continue to put his weight back on and gain experience. He knows his strength is taking people down and he is going to work to develop a deadly combo of ground and pound and submissions.

Cain doesn't have a chance and he knows it. Brock is too big and he won't be able to out wrestle him. Dana needs to split up the HW division, you are basically screwed if you are in the 225-245 range. Frank Mir knew it so he put on a ton of weight but I think he is still adjusting to it.

On another note, I would love to see Leben get KO'd by Silva again and do his weird took too much drugs spasms again!
      07-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #104
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
I don't know about Brock getting lucky... There really is not any luck in BJJ. If you get submitted, YOU messed up. There is always an opportunity to shut it down long before it happens.

I really think Shane beat himself. It was clear he did not know what to do if he couldn't ground and pound out a KO or TKO. So he continued with a failed strategy until he gassed himself out. But I don't really blame him for that, that has been his strategy every fight and it has worked. I'm disappointed Greg Jackson did not prepare him in case he could not knock Brock out.

This is the problem with having no BJJ, if you can't get the KO or get the ref to call the fight due to TKO then you are screwed and have to wait for the judges and we all know how bad of an idea that usually is.

Kudos to Brock though for doing what none else could (take a full round of ground and pound) and then come out in the second round and execute takedown+guard pass+sub very nicely. Granted Shane was gassed and demoralized at this point.

As far as a rematch, I don't see anyone beating Brock right now short of a lucky KO punch (which could happen to anyone). This was the time to beat him when he was the most vulnerable (short of his first few fights). He is going to continue to put his weight back on and gain experience. He knows his strength is taking people down and he is going to work to develop a deadly combo of ground and pound and submissions.

Cain doesn't have a chance and he knows it. Brock is too big and he won't be able to out wrestle him. Dana needs to split up the HW division, you are basically screwed if you are in the 225-245 range. Frank Mir knew it so he put on a ton of weight but I think he is still adjusting to it.

On another note, I would love to see Leben get KO'd by Silva again and do his weird took too much drugs spasms again!
I couldn't agree more with every point you've made
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #105
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I agree with everything except with better conditioning/gameplan I can see Carwin winning.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #106
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
I agree with everything except with better conditioning/gameplan I can see Carwin winning.
I think come time for the rematch I will be just as undecided. I actually had money on Carwin to win the first fight but Lesnar impressed me with his solid chin. Lesnar can definitely take the hits and although he looked tired in the 2nd round he looked comfortable. It seemed pretty clear he prepared for a 5 round war. This isn't to say that Lesnar can't be knocked out and it probably will happen some day. There is always a punchers chance for a KO in MMA, especially the HW division.

Carwin needs to evolve and learn new techniques and submissions to take advantage of his size and strength as Lesnar has done. Lesnar was in full mount, perfect position to execute some deadly ground and pound on a gassed Carwin but I think it was a combination of Lesnar being tired and showing Carwin respect so he took the win when he saw an opportunity for it. The submission he used combined with his freakishly huge body was a deadly combination, Carwin had no chance. I can see Lesnar using more submissions like this in the future, particularly this one when he feels like needs to pull of victory.

The prospect of Carwin evolving as a fighter and learning submissions is exciting too. His bread and butter will always be his stand-up game but in messy situations he will have the skill-set he needs to pull of the victory or at least be able to defend them.

I think Velasquez' best chance against Lesnar is to stand up and slowly pick him apart. He'll need to watch for the take-down because as soon as that happens it will be all over. Lesnar will wear him out and execute his wrestling and ground and pound until Velasquez is tired and fatigued. Who knows he might get choked out like Carwin. I think Cain's cardio is good and he has great speed so it should be interesting if he can keep it standing. Based on the last fight though, I still think Lesnar will destroy him. If Cain can pull off a KO or TKO I will be very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #107
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
With a guy like Lesnar, I think speed with enough size is the key to beating him. He isn't that well coordinated and Cain knows he has to watch out for the takedown. Cain will work on avoiding the takedowns and will probably try a lot of pot shotting on Lesnar from the outside. The cage is very big and works to Cain's advantage. I think it takes a fighter similar to Cain's mold to beat him.

I say it can go either way. They are going to have to stand up first and that advantage goes to Cain. If he can work on his leg kicks he can really bother Brock who I suspect has sensitive legs. Cain's got the cardio, striking, and speed advantage and that is going to be big. Truth be told, Brock can negate a lot of that once he gets a hold of him but don't write Cain off.
      07-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #108
L3O10
Rep
Drives: Deciding

^ agreed
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #109
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
^ Leg kicks = more susceptible to take downs.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #110
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

My money is on Lesnar. I know Cain will have a different strategy and I'd imagine his cardio is a lot better than Carwin's. I can see him going for a 5 round win instead of a KO. It will be an interesting match-up.

What's everyone's thoughts on Sonnen's smack talk?
Appreciate 0