F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Fake Engine Sound (Active Sound) is Last Straw
GetBMWParts

07-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #89
emapway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
In this thread: empty threats!
What do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #90
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
In this thread: empty threats!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #91
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

The end is near
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #92
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by i001947 View Post
The end is near
You're too late; the end already happened January 1st of 2000 at 12am. Oh, it happened again on December 21st back in 2012. I think the next 'end of teh worldz' is sometime next year. I'll make popcorn.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #93
Rbezzz
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
I concur with many on here... the thought of piping in engine noise is fodder for laughs; I think it's ridiculous and stupid. But it wouldn't stop me from driving the car, and enjoying it!

One has to remember that we are the minority; we are the 1 percenters who know our car's owner's manual front to back, and my wife says I look at other peoples' cars the way I look at other peoples' wimmen

The average BMW owner is not an enthusiast. I see them every day with their dust-packed wheels and untinted windows. It's just a car. They see 'active sound' on the window sticker and say to themselves, "Well, at least I know the stereo'll sound good!" and then when they feed the pedal they hear the 'engine' and like the car.

So for me, it's like Comfort Access or Memory Seats - I just don't care.
I did a BMW M drive day which is quite a bit of money here in AUS. I was there with 10 other owners all with decent M3's, comp packs etc. every car in the car park had lost barely any rubber on the the tyres and they all said things like "oh no couldn't drive it every day'.

Many on the track just had absolutely no idea. And not just in the sense of track experience, just driving hard experience. These guys would be deadly on public roads without full traction control.

The fact is there are so many owners out there that have different motivations. Completely effed up motivations but they buy the cars none the less..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #94
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbezzz View Post
I did a BMW M drive day which is quite a bit of money here in AUS. I was there with 10 other owners all with decent M3's, comp packs etc. every car in the car park had lost barely any rubber on the the tyres and they all said things like "oh no couldn't drive it every day'.

Many on the track just had absolutely no idea. And not just in the sense of track experience, just driving hard experience. These guys would be deadly on public roads without full traction control.

The fact is there are so many owners out there that have different motivations. Completely effed up motivations but they buy the cars none the less..
Did they receive any formal training beforehand?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #95
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Fake or enhanced engine sound reeks of poseur or video game simulation. Plastic surgery to enhance the driving experience. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #96
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Nice bump.

I was really annoyed by the first post, as a real car guy would disable the sound and enjoy the sweet platform instead of throwing a tantrum like a child about how fake sound somehow invalidates the drive, but then I saw fives pages of discussion and the post being from 2013 so I was like ok, I'm sure this has been beat to death. If fake engine noise that's easy to disable really completely turns you off of a brand then good riddance.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #97
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Nice bump.

I was really annoyed by the first post, as a real car guy would disable the sound and enjoy the sweet platform instead of throwing a tantrum like a child about how fake sound somehow invalidates the drive, but then I saw fives pages of discussion and the post being from 2013 so I was like ok, I'm sure this has been beat to death. If fake engine noise that's easy to disable really completely turns you off of a brand then good riddance.
As you said that post was from 2013 and it was not easy to disable then so hope that give you some peace. It still is lame and now people have found ways to disable it without killing the radio. It is one of many traits that new BMWs have that are dishonest and lame. As you stated most BMW drivers don't care anymore so it's a dead issue. I am still with the brand but drive two BMWs now without fake sound. Actually neither has "comfort" mode or any other silliness, just proper engine sound and temp gauges the way some of us like our cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #98
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
As you said that post was from 2013 and it was not easy to disable then so hope that give you some peace. It still is lame and now people have found ways to disable it without killing the radio. It is one of many traits that new BMWs have that are dishonest and lame. As you stated most BMW drivers don't care anymore so it's a dead issue. I am still with the brand but drive two BMWs now without fake sound. Actually neither has "comfort" mode or any other silliness, just proper engine sound and temp gauges the way some of us like our cars.
I'm with you, 2 BMWs in the family with real, not fake sound.
The new Porsche should keep us busy for a while but don't ask me what happens next. Lifeless motors/turbos and electric
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #99
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Why the hell is this bumped?

OP whining about something and being all smug about it, yet he probably still has a BMW.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #100
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Still don't understand why that bothers you more than not having a true "S" engine.

I kid, I kid...
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #101
eflatminor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Why the hell is this bumped?
I love the smell of irony in the morning...
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 05:25 AM   #102
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

"Performance" cars are becoming more fake and less attractive. Automatic transmissions were just the beginning salvo. Fake sound, the next level. Then wait for all the driver assist nannies....

I wouldn't spend $50,000 to be a poseur. Sure, they go fast. But that doesn't make it a sports car, does it! I'll get a small buzzy car with a manual transmission and smaller engine to have fun, for a lot less money, and continue not to care about impressing my neighbors.

PL
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #103
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

God, got to love our 1st world problems. Honestly who gives a fuck and why is this an issue?

"I would be embarrassed if other car guys found out I was driving with fake engine sound track. "

Yes because when I buy a car the first thing on my mind is "will be good enough this impress the random asshole I see on the street?"... Sorry but street cred don't pay the bills.

Last edited by Delta0311; 04-20-2016 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #104
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

If you actually feel imbarresed driving an F8x you need serious counselling. You self esteem is at a serious all time low.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #105
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
If you actually feel imbarresed driving an F8x you need serious counselling. You self esteem is at a serious all time low.
yeah, sorry. Great car but fakery is embarrasing and does not do the car justice. Not sure why you're OK with fake sound but the majority are. Luckily many have found ways to disable it without killing the sound system. Best wishes.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #106
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
yeah, sorry. Great car but fakery is embarrasing and does not do the car justice. Not sure why you're OK with fake sound but the majority are. Luckily many have found ways to disable it without killing the sound system. Best wishes.
Im ok with it because its an awesome car, and if it does bug me I can simply unplug it.

Kind of a none issue when you look at it that way. Its like being annoyed with a light on while you sleep. Rather then simply turn it off your logic is in line with moving out of the house.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #107
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia
Quote:
Im ok with it because its an awesome car, and if it does bug me I can simply unplug it.

Kind of a none issue when you look at it that way. Its like being annoyed with a light on while you sleep. Rather then simply turn it off your logic is in line with moving out of the house.
Look this thread is old. I have moved on and bought another 1M since then. Somehow the thread lives on forever. I truly like the M3 a lot which is why it frustrated me years ago. These are not cheap cars. They are supposed to be true performance cars and ultimate driving machines and fakery has no place on this type of car. They should've spent the effort on real sound. The 1M was turbocharged and sound great without fake sound. The M2 sounds even better on the outside. Simply put dig deep in your souls and ask yourself. Would you care if your wife or girlfriend was fake or real. If you are ok with fake your world is great. If I wasn't a fan I wouldn't have cared two years ago but feel it is a wrongheaded for this type of car and something other companies do. Congrats on the M3. Lovely car and glad you love it.

Now can we let this thread die?

: )

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #108
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Look this thread is old. I have moved on and bought another 1M since then. Somehow the thread lives on forever. I truly like the M3 a lot which is why it frustrated me years ago. These are not cheap cars. They are supposed to be true performance cars and ultimate driving machines and fakery has no place on this type of car. They should've spent the effort on real sound. The 1M was turbocharged and sound great without fake sound. The M2 sounds even better on the outside. Simply put dig deep in your souls and ask yourself. Would you care if your wife or girlfriend was fake or real. If you are ok with fake your world is great. If I wasn't a fan I wouldn't have cared two years ago but feel it is a wrongheaded for this type of car and something other companies do. Congrats on the M3. Lovely car and glad you love it.

Cheers
I don't think you can marry a fake girlfriend.. I know shit is fucked up right now but I don't think we reached that level yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #109
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311
Quote:

Cheers
I don't think you can marry a fake girlfriend.. I know shit if fucked up right now but I don't think we reached that level yet.
Lol

I mean if sounds are fake or real. Some don't care some do.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #110
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
Quote:
I know that "real car guys" are a diminishing breed and some may just prefer to call us "old school" but fake engine sound is the last straw that shows the BMWs lack of caring for real car guys. I must admit that they grudgingly put manual transmissions in their cars for us but deep down BMW resents it. Life would be much simpler for them with just an automatic that lets you "shift" or drive in full auto but at least they do it and I still own a BMW for that reason.

Lexus on the other hand doesn't do it on their IS 350 and I will not buy one because of it BUT after having read that Active Sound is mandatory on the new M cars.......I am puzzled and seriously saddened by it.

This is the new height of poserdom. I cannot buy a car with fake engine sound and to make matters worse you cannot disable it without disabling the stereo system. I have been seriously holding out of M235 or M2 but I don't know if I can overcome this. I would be embarrassed if other car guys found out I was driving with fake engine sound track.

Not only is there the embarrassment but more importantly the it is one more loss of connection to car. I listen to my engine! As some have called it, I have "mechanical empathy" and I listen to it. Every ping when accidentally lugged, every VANOS rattle when the idle drops to low and the crescendo of mechanical music when making serious power. Even turbos and wastegates are part of the "rhythm" when you are autocrossing or cruising on a mountain road. That is a another connection lost. With automatics, you do not control or manage the engagement so you lose that connection, then the new steering racks further detach you from the road feel and now you cannot "really" listen to the engine.

Sad. I know most of you don't feel the same way, I understand, since you grow up with iPhones that are set to the "old" analog phone ringer and think it's quaint.

I was just wondering if there were any of you out there that are also sad about fake engine sound?
TL;DR.

Just code it off.

As someone who drives one of these "fake sound" cars (initially with ASD on and now with it off), I can say that had BMW not put ASD in, people would be complaining that the car is too quiet, as the cabin is a much quieter place than previous gen cars.

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

More info and photos here.
Appreciate 0