F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Log Review Thread
proTUNING Freaks

08-28-2022, 08:00 AM   #2971
nosam1g
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

oh then our setups are different not sure what to tell you other than new tuner maybe .. make sure all parts are installed good etc .. im sure u know
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:36 AM   #2972
c3ffee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix

Hi guys, can u check my logs

MHD v3.6 stg2 hpfp. 21 psi boost safe for turbo?
https://datazap.me/u/c3ffee/test-hpfp?log=0&data=5-27
Also trying MG Flasher.
https://datazap.me/u/c3ffee/mg-flash...0&data=2-10-33

Fuel 100RON, cant find better, e85 is also not available.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #2973
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3ffee View Post

Also trying MG Flasher.

STFTs seem bad? Can someone else chime in on this. Also 4th gear isn't great but its not terrible but right when you shift into 5th gear its pretty bad. I personally wouldn't run it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:44 PM   #2974
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrog View Post
Alright guys, so this boost target thing is really bugging me.

As posted above, I'm patiently getting rid of timing corrections on my MHD stg 2 HPFP E40 tune logs, by adding small amounts of E, little by little.
One thing which is not quite improving though, is not hitting boost target, while WGDC struggles for it (90%+). Besides, torque at clutch is fairly low considering the tune...

So, I've started reading this thread from several dozen pages ahead, looking for similar concerns and solutions.
I first thought that it could be linked to the catted DP, as it turned out that B58 had similar logs with his catted DP (before he swapped his stock turbo for a Pure 800 and opted for a cattless DP as I recall) :
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=2547

However, it has to be related to something else, as nosam1g who is running a TU pump + evo race work catless had similar boost target issues:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=2668
As stated in this thread, he asked MHD, who said it was simply because of low ambiant pressure that boost target wasn't hit. Not really convinced...

At the same time, DieselDuck (cattless) displays stunning logs with all boost targets reached and impressively low WGDC:
https://datazap.me/u/zd/mhd-stage2-r...40-41-42-43-44

Also, I've also looked up in my previous logs and found out that in April, my 2 HPFP E40 was hitting the target and the torque at cluch was ferocious.

I really can't make up my mind about what is going on. I really doubt it's a boost leak for each and everyone of us. Could it be a tuning issue ? But how so, if other with the same OTS tune can reach targets.

I know that IMS-340C have already been asked a lot about that, but I'd still like him to chime in once again.

Thanks for reading..

(Hope you guys I'm mentioning are OK with my quotes of your experience on the matter)
Not a problem. Sorry I was away and busy for a little bit, so only checking some posts now. Keep in mind the log you posted of me there was the 95oct/102ron OTS though, which does have slightly higher boost targets midrange. On the E40 map I'm "only" hitting around 20-21psi boost myself but the E40 map targets high timings and slightly higher boost target top-end also making the map faster overall.

I just had a look again at your log you made some days ago, you definitely should be making more power than that but you are indeed not reaching boost.

Do you have XHP gearbox software installed ? There might be some limitations still due to stock gearbox software ? Anyways on stage 2+ I would always strongly recommend XHP stage 2/3.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #2975
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3ffee View Post

Also trying MG Flasher.

Looks alright I think, fuel trims maybe a bit on the leaner side in both logs but I don't think if it's something to worry about. I've read multiple times that B58's do fine running a bit leaner AFR's as long as you add more fuel top-range which in these logs seems the case. I'd actually would like to know too if during the gearshift the shortly very lean AFR is normal.

From those two logs the MHD one seems a bit better (the MG flasher one seems to give you some throttle closure btw). 21 psi is no problem for stock turbo, also your wastegate is not struggling at all. On the hpfp map for pump gas MHD is trying to sacrifice some higher timing targets for higher boost in order to make the HPFP map for the TU pump worthwhile. It's debatable if on pump gas the tu hpfp ots pump gas map is much faster on paper but you should definitely "feel" the more beefy midrange torque compared to a normal stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2022, 06:18 PM   #2976
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E91 / 340i B58 F30

DieselDuck
Thanks for taking the time to review my previous posts.

Yes, I'm running xHP stage 3 for the trans and the logs are taken either in sport+, either in DTC fully off.

Right, your log I mention in my post is from a 102 map, but just like you said, you also have E40 map logs perfectly spot on boost-wise (although with a slightly lower target mid RPM range).

When I find the time, I'll switch to lower map (stg 1), just to see if I keep missing the boost target by 2-3 PSI with a lower target (which would mean that what is off relates to some kind of calibration / sensor) or if I hit the target when it's below say 18 PSI. In this later case it would rather feel like an actual boost limitation on the system.

After reading numerous posts including @B58's above, I'm leaning towards the 2nd hypothesis and more specifically the catted DP. I'll probably have to take a look at how mine looks like...
It turns out that my reference log on E40 that was pretty much hiting the targets was taken shortly before I tracked the car. Wonder if this track day didn't kill the kitty...
Hopefully this can be checked by only releasing the top bracket (the one that connects the DP to the turbo) because I don't have much time for this lately...

Last edited by FastFrog; 08-29-2022 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 01:24 AM   #2977
nosam1g
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

https://datazap.me/u/nosam1g/log-166...47-48-49-50-51

just installed inlet intake and charge pipe .. feels strong
mod list now

MHD STG 2+ HPFP
TU PUMP
e40
XHP Stg 2
CSF Heat Exchanger
MPE EXHAUST Mid Pipe BACK
Ross Racing Oil Catch Can
Evo Race Work Downpipe Catless
DAW Inlet
MST Intake
VRSF Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #2978
Crispydips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

First Log

Good Day Everyone!

I am new to data logging (and really just new to cars in general). I recently did my first log and was wondering if you all could take a look at it and give some advice? I'm still trying to learn how to read the logs, following Kern's advice of course, so figured I'd ask the experts on here.

https://datazap.me/u/msoria1206/1st-...&data=4-20

2018 BMW 340i

Mods: MST air intake, ER high-flow catted downpipe, AWE catback exhaust, Dorch Stg 2 HPFP, Dorch Flex Fuel Kit, XHP stage 3, MHD Stage 2 multimap flex fuel enabled. Running 91 oct at time of datalog (normally run an e50 blend, but had to take the car on a road trip)

Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 03:09 PM   #2979
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispydips View Post
Good Day Everyone!

I am new to data logging (and really just new to cars in general). I recently did my first log and was wondering if you all could take a look at it and give some advice? I'm still trying to learn how to read the logs, following Kern's advice of course, so figured I'd ask the experts on here.

https://datazap.me/u/msoria1206/1st-...og=0&data=4-20

2018 BMW 340i

Mods: MST air intake, ER high-flow catted downpipe, AWE catback exhaust, Dorch Stg 2 HPFP, Dorch Flex Fuel Kit, XHP stage 3, MHD Stage 2 multimap flex fuel enabled. Running 91 oct at time of datalog (normally run an e50 blend, but had to take the car on a road trip)

Thanks for all the help!
Needs higher octane to run Stage 2 with 91 pump gas. Basically you should add a gallon or 2 of ethanol. The map is a bit too aggressive for the gas you're using.

You have timing corrections on all cylinders across the RPM range, your timing advance peaks at like 1-2 degrees (Which is low) during the WOT portion of the log. I ignored everything after the WOT where you sat at about 80 percent throttle for the rest of the log. You're probably making less power than the stage 1 map because of the low advance and corrections.

Advice for reading logs:
Ideally timing corrections on 1 or 2 cylinders max. Occasionally we see high timing corrections on a single cylinder even with good fuel it's just kind of an artifact of our engines and most of the time it can be ignored if it doesn't happen every single data log. You want to see timing advance across the RPM range on 18 psi I would personally be looking for something around 6 degrees at the top end so when I see 1-2 degrees I know its not happy.

Last edited by WrxToBeamerGuy; 09-06-2022 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #2980
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Crispydips

As WrxToBeamerGuy indicated above - your log is not good. It indicates significant corrections to the extent it is NOT recommendable to drive as is! Downgrade the map or increase fuel octane. Your current setup is unhealthy.
      09-06-2022, 03:39 PM   #2981
Crispydips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Crispydips

As WrxToBeamerGuy indicated above - your log is not good. It indicates significant corrections to the extent it is NOT recommendable to drive as is! Downgrade the map or increase fuel octane. Your current setup is unhealthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Crispydips

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
Quote:
Good Day Everyone!

https://datazap.me/u/msoria1206/1st-...&data=4-20

2018 BMW 340i

Thanks for all the help!
Needs higher octane to run Stage 2 with 91 pump gas. Basically you should add a gallon or 2 of ethanol. The map is a bit too aggressive for the gas you're using.

You have timing corrections on all cylinders across the RPM range, your timing advance peaks at like 1-2 degrees (Which is low) during the WOT portion of the log. I ignored everything after the WOT where you sat at about 80 percent throttle for the rest of the log. You're probably making less power than the stage 1 map because of the low advance and corrections.

Advice for reading logs:
Ideally timing corrections on 1 or 2 cylinders max. Occasionally we see high timing corrections on a single cylinder even with good fuel it's just kind of an artifact of our engines and most of the time it can be ignored if it doesn't happen every single data log. You want to see timing advance across the RPM range on 18 psi I would personally be looking for something around 6 degrees at the top end so when I see 1-2 degrees I know its not happy.

Jeez that's good to know! With this being my first car I'm modding it's still a big learning curve for me. The car has been back on an e50 tune now for the past week so hopefully it should be good now. I'll try and get another log if I can find anywhere to open it up in SD.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #2982
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav140i View Post
Hi, I’m currently doing a custom flex fuel tune e50.
I have pure800 and DS2 hpfp

I want to know if I’m running safe and my engine won’t blow or break if I am using this settings.

What would you say to your tuner if this where your logs.

Using E50: 93oct + E85 to achieve E50 blend

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=630a...0b433c018e8735

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=630a...90c6074a3f05e9
Sorry no one got back to you on this. The logs look great except the single knock event you have but honestly I don't think it's concerning. If your tuner tuned you for E50 then run E55 or even E60 because why not? You have a DS2 and increasing the octane further will clean up those small 5th gear corrections. I personally run E60 on my E50 tune. Who tuned you?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #2983
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Jeez that's good to know! With this being my first car I'm modding it's still a big learning curve for me. The car has been back on an e50 tune now for the past week so hopefully it should be good now. I'll try and get another log if I can find anywhere to open it up in SD.
You don't need to do 5th gear logs, you can do 4th gear to make it a bit easier to find somewhere to get a log. I imagine the E50 log will look much better assuming you are mixing your E correctly. Just because a pump says E85 doesn't mean it's actually E85 it could be E73 etc. On top of that I prefer to run more E than what the map is titled, i.e E30 map I run E40 etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 03:49 PM   #2984
Crispydips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You don't need to do 5th gear logs, you can do 4th gear to make it a bit easier to find somewhere to get a log. I imagine the E50 log will look much better assuming you are mixing your E correctly. Just because a pump says E85 doesn't mean it's actually E85 it could be E73 etc. On top of that I prefer to run more E than what the map is titled, i.e E30 map I run E40 etc.
Quote:
Quote:
With the Dorch flex fuel kit I have, does it need to be exact e50 to be running a stage 2 or stage 2 HPFP multimap?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #2985
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
With the Dorch flex fuel kit I have, does it need to be exact e50 to be running a stage 2 or stage 2 HPFP multimap?
Nope set it to the 91 octane multimap and as you increase ethanol it will scale up the power.

Always use the lowest map available and add ethanol. If the lowest map available is that stage 2 map you linked then always at least add some ethanol to it.

I.E.

Map1 = 93
Map2 = E30
Map3 = E50

Select the 93 map and then add ethanol up to E50 (But actually add E60 and it will run the E50 map)

THIS IS ONLY FOR MULTIMAPS THAT USE FLEXFUEL

Last edited by WrxToBeamerGuy; 09-06-2022 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 05:19 PM   #2986
Crispydips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nope set it to the 91 octane multimap and as you increase ethanol it will scale up the power.

Always use the lowest map available and add ethanol. If the lowest map available is that stage 2 map you linked then always at least add some ethanol to it.

I.E.

Map1 = 93
Map2 = E30
Map3 = E50

Select the 93 map and then add ethanol up to E50 (But actually add E60 and it will run the E50 map)

THIS IS ONLY FOR MULTIMAPS THAT USE FLEXFUEL
The MHD user guide stated that for all of the map slots to not add any of the e blends. So mine is 91, 93, 93, 95 I think. Should I go off of the MHD guide or add an e blend to one of the map slots?

Apologies for all the questions btw! I'm just trying to learn. Thank you for all the help this far.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:45 PM   #2987
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Here is a how-to flash with multi-map with flex fuel enabled if you have any sort of CAN module like the MHD ECA:
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2022, 09:12 PM   #2988
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The MHD user guide stated that for all of the map slots to not add any of the e blends. So mine is 91, 93, 93, 95 I think. Should I go off of the MHD guide or add an e blend to one of the map slots?

Apologies for all the questions btw! I'm just trying to learn. Thank you for all the help this far.
Don't listen to me I've got BM3 and it's quite different from my experience. I asked the same question a while back and I am just quoting the answers I was given. B58 gave you the information you need. That video makes me think you should just lower them all to 91.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2022, 09:59 PM   #2989
Crispydips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Don't listen to me I've got BM3 and it's quite different from my experience. I asked the same question a while back and I am just quoting the answers I was given. B58 gave you the information you need. That video makes me think you should just lower them all to 91.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Here is a how-to flash with multi-map with flex fuel enabled if you have any sort of CAN module like the MHD ECA:
I appreciate the help you've given this far! I'll get another log soon. Hopefully the E50 blend will correct the previous one
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:08 AM   #2990
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Anyone know what gear should be used on a dyno with the 8 speed auto?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:44 AM   #2991
jav140i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M140I

Quote:
I think 5th gear is best, lots will say 6th gear but i prefer 5th
Appreciate 1
B58566.50
      09-08-2022, 01:56 AM   #2992
talontdone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340Xi

Quote:
6th gear is best with Auto transmission as it's 1:1 but it's not realistic as it tops at +300 km/h, so you have to use 4th or 5th gear and correct for gearing in the dyno settings. I generally log in 4th around town but dyno in 5th.