F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Any Onewheel Owners Here?
proTUNING Freaks

08-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

This and electric scooters are making walking in the city unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #24
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Visited a local surf and skate shop that sells the Onewheel on Saturday and took it out for a test ride. It was super fun. I've skated for 35 years, snowboarded for 25, surfed and wind surfed too. So board sports are pretty natural for me. I also used to on a Segway PT so the concept of trusting the self balancing aspect and not fighting it is engrained. After a quick demo from the shop employee, I hopped on and was navigating a big parking lot pretty effortlessly. Dismounts are a little tricky, but other than that it rode exactly as I expected it to. One thing I was not expecting was just how damn heavy the thing is. if I get one I'll definitely get the one with the extended range battery as the thought of running out of juice and walking with it is not pleasant.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 08-05-2018 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13157.00
      08-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #25
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I was in Portland a while back. I saw three of them...damn! Those things scoot! Super quiet too.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #26
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Well I also drive a BMW so I guess the general public already views me as a douche. Not losing sleep over that. Besides, my option is:

A) Be a onewheel riding douche who makes it home from the subway in 15 minutes.

B) Be a non-douche who waits in the rain for 20 minutes for the bus. Takes a 30 minutes bus ride. Then a 5 minute walk.
or you could walk.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #27
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
or you could walk.
3 miles, 1 of which is uphill, in the winter rain? No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #28
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

https://www.boostedboards.com/boards
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11466.50
      08-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #29
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Thanks, but I'm finding myself needed to commute in the rain and over some somewhat choppy terrain. Not the best for a Boosted Board. I wish it was not the case as that would be my first choice, in better conditions!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #30
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
problem solve...fast n small.

Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11466.50
      08-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #31
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
problem solve...fast n small.[/IMG]
True. I could borrow my wife's Honda Monkey. But the point is to not be riding a motorcycle in the rain.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, guys. However, the point of the post was to find out if anyone had any real-world experience with the Onewheel, not to find options other than the Onewheel. I've been down that road already, considering mini bikes, solowheel, hoverboards, boosted boards, etc. The Onewheel appears to be the best option for the unique conditions and situation. I was hoping someone on this forum actually owned one.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #32
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Visited a local surf and skate shop that sells the Onewheel on Saturday and took it out for a test ride. It was super fun. I've skated for 35 years, snowboarded for 25, surfed and wind surfed too. So board sports are pretty natural for me. I also used to on a Segway PT so the concept of trusting the self balancing aspect and not fighting it is engrained. After a quick demo from the shop employee, I hopped on and was navigating a big parking lot pretty effortlessly. Dismounts are a little tricky, but other than that it rode exactly as I expected it to. One thing I was not expecting was just how damn heavy the thing is. if I get one I'll definitely get the one with the extended range battery as the thought of running out of juice and walking with it is not pleasant.
A fellow skater! I unfortunately gave it up about 5 years ago. I got both of my sons into skating and we went for a skate one day at a local park that I help set up. I hadn't been on a board in years but it comes natural after you spent most of your life on one. I started on the 4' half and had a decent run. The boys wanted me to show them a few tricks, 360 shove it - landed it, 180 kick flip - landed it, 360 kick flip - landed it; went to stop and did a boardslide - the next thing I know I'm waking up and it's the next day. Apparently one of the wheels hit a rock I didn't see and ended up with a nasty concusion. It was at this point I decided I'm too old to be doing that shit anymore. Not because my body isn't able to do it, but because my body doesn't like hard impacts with concrete. I've learned that I don't bounce back quite like I used to.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11466.50
      08-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #33
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
A fellow skater! I unfortunately gave it up about 5 years ago. I got both of my sons into skating and we went for a skate one day at a local park that I help set up. I hadn't been on a board in years but it comes natural after you spent most of your life on one. I started on the 4' half and had a decent run. The boys wanted me to show them a few tricks, 360 shove it - landed it, 180 kick flip - landed it, 360 kick flip - landed it; went to stop and did a boardslide - the next thing I know I'm waking up and it's the next day. Apparently one of the wheels hit a rock I didn't see and ended up with a nasty concusion. It was at this point I decided I'm too old to be doing that shit anymore. Not because my body isn't able to do it, but because my body doesn't like hard impacts with concrete. I've learned that I don't bounce back quite like I used to.
Yeah! Good to see another "old" skater still out there. I gave up the skate park stuff years ago. Started building long boards in my garage back in the late 90's before anyone really knew what one was. I'm definitely more into the laid back long board cruising sort of situation now. Like you, my body cant handle the impacts anymore. Hurts too damn much and takes too damn long to heal. I've got a couple of friends here at work who are also in their mid 40s and are still pretty active at the skate parks, with their kids. It's cool to see. Every once in a while we hit up an 80's skate punk concert and re-live the glory days.

Gotta wear that helmet man! We got away without them for years because our reflexes were better and we bounced easier when we hit. Too old and slow now. I've had 3 concussions so I don't mess with that sh*t anymore. Helmet always! Even on my snowboard. Finally gave in a couple years back and got a helmet for that.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13157.00
      08-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #34
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah! Good to see another "old" skater still out there. I gave up the skate park stuff years ago. Started building long boards in my garage back in the late 90's before anyone really knew what one was. I'm definitely more into the laid back long board cruising sort of situation now. Like you, my body cant handle the impacts anymore. Hurts too damn much and takes too damn long to heal. I've got a couple of friends here at work who are also in their mid 40s and are still pretty active at the skate parks, with their kids. It's cool to see. Every once in a while we hit up an 80's skate punk concert and re-live the glory days.

Gotta wear that helmet man! We got away without them for years because our reflexes were better and we bounced easier when we hit. Too old and slow now. I've had 3 concussions so I don't mess with that sh*t anymore. Helmet always! Even on my snowboard. Finally gave in a couple years back and got a helmet for that.
I have never been on a snowboard, always wanted to. I imagine the transition from one to the other wouldn't be that bad. At 42, I still dress in the same fashion as I did then, when I'm not in the office. It's comical to see people I work with on the weekends and their kids comment on my Spitfire wheels, Santa Cruz or Bones t-shirts.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11466.50
      08-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #35
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
I have never been on a snowboard, always wanted to. I imagine the transition from one to the other wouldn't be that bad. At 42, I still dress in the same fashion as I did then, when I'm not in the office. It's comical to see people I work with on the weekends and their kids comment on my Spitfire wheels, Santa Cruz or Bones t-shirts.
You'd pick it up in no time. It's very condition based though. On a fluffy powder day you can get away with just about anything. On hard pack you have to be more on your game as it's easier to catch an edge and go down hard. if you ever find yourself in the mountains on a powder day, rent some gear and take a 1/2 day lesson. You'll be ripping it up by lunch time.

LOL, same here! Just spilled some paint on my OG Santa Cruz sweatshirt. Bummed. Hopefully I can still find a replacement.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13157.00
      08-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #36
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You'd pick it up in no time. It's very condition based though. On a fluffy powder day you can get away with just about anything. On hard pack you have to be more on your game as it's easier to catch an edge and go down hard. if you ever find yourself in the mountains on a powder day, rent some gear and take a 1/2 day lesson. You'll be ripping it up by lunch time.

LOL, same here! Just spilled some paint on my OG Santa Cruz sweatshirt. Bummed. Hopefully I can still find a replacement.
I just bought some stuff off here last week. Enjoy.

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/indepe...2=Mens&PSAPI=1

I'll share a story you'll appreciate. This girl I used to know was dating an old skater friend of mine. This girl and I did not get along. She had on his Independent Truck Co. shirt one day and I made some comment about stealing his clothes jokingly. She got upset and said that it wasn't his shirt, that it was hers. I asked her if she knew what Independent Truck Co. was and she replied with "Yeah, they're a trucking company" I asked what they hauled and she stated, "Whatever they want, they're and independent trucking company."
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11466.50
      08-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #37
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
I just bought some stuff off here last week. Enjoy.

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/indepe...2=Mens&PSAPI=1

I'll share a story you'll appreciate. This girl I used to know was dating an old skater friend of mine. This girl and I did not get along. She had on his Independent Truck Co. shirt one day and I made some comment about stealing his clothes jokingly. She got upset and said that it wasn't his shirt, that it was hers. I asked her if she knew what Independent Truck Co. was and she replied with "Yeah, they're a trucking company" I asked what they hauled and she stated, "Whatever they want, they're and independent trucking company."
Awesome! Thanks for the link. Love it!

That's too funny on the Indi shirt. Some people, man. Hopefully your buddy realized his error and moved on from her.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13157.00