F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > ************Weight lose pros come in...HELP NEEDED!!!***********
GetBMWParts

02-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #45
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
I'm not sure what carbs you're referring to in your diet. All I see is the cereal in the morning. Are you thinking the fruits and vegetables are carbs? Because they're not.
WTF?!

Please don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. How on earth are you giving advise someone when you say that fruit and vegetables are not carbohydrates? So which one are they then, fat or protein based?

Plant foods are carbohydrate based, and animal foods/nuts/seeds are fat and protein based. That's all you need - the right combination of plant and animal foods for YOUR metabolism.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #46
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Grave,

I'm not saying that playing 2 hours of ball for YOU will drastically raise your cortisol levels, as you're probably well conditioned for it already. I'm talking about the typical out-of-shape office dweller who decides to get fit, ends up working out (playing ball, whatever) for hours at a time and only ends up raising cortisol levels and creating a huge appetite.

Two hours of moderate activity such as playing ball is nothing for a conditioned person.

I do however disagree with you that two servings of meat a day DON'T provide enough protein for the guy. It's more than enough. One piece of salmon a day is plenty. Add to that a healthy serving of nuts or beans and the guy is getting much more than his body needs. It's a myth that we need all this protein to survive. A healthy, vegetarian-centric diet has more than enough protein for everyone.

I find it funny that all these gymheads are so obsessed over how much protein they're getting, but none of them care about the other stuff they're neglecting, like the fruits and vegetables.

Think of how the old-timers lived. You think they had nice big servings of meat every meal? No. Meat was a treat. You'd be lucky to get it once a day, muchless once a meal. Grains and vegetables made up the brunt of their diet. I'd take an old-timers strength and physique over any of today's protein-heads.
For an out of shape person, Im sure the effect of raised cortisol (if any, let alone any significant amount) will be FAR outweighed by the activity and exercise they are getting from playing sports. Its not even a point worth discussing.

If this dude was an Olympic athlete and training 15-20+ hours a week, we might want to consider it. Otherwise he'd burn more calories thinking about what cortisol actually is than miss out on (burning), because it was 'raised' due to his 2 hour bball run.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #47
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Most vegetables are LOW CARB. You can eat salad all day and not get the carbs in one slice of bread. Every low carb diet worth a damn calls for plenty of vegetables.

I get annoyed at all these gymheads who keep harping on how essential meat is and how vegetables are full of carbs. They're not. Meat and animal products should only be supplementary to your diet, and not make up the crux of it.

You can eat salads and vegetables all day long and be considered on a low-carb diet. You're getting into high school level semantics about what a carb is and what a protein is. Did you know that PLANTS have PROTEIN too? Yeah, must've blown your mind with that one, huh.

Bottom line, vegetables are the basis of any healthy diet, including low-carb diets.
Bottom line, ("healthy")VARIETY is the basis of any healthy diet. Spanning the entire spectrum of nutrients/vitamins/minerals available.

I like your point which hits on the conservation of energy, which is the basis of weight loss. Consuming less than you expend = weight loss. Exercise and diet will play a part on where that weight loss predominately comes from.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #48
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Definitely. I've recommended before that you eat a small salad 5 times a day. That will go a long way to helping you overcome your hunger.

Vegetables would be at the top of my list (meaning I'd eat the most of them).

Next would be proteins. Keep in mind, this doesn't necessarily mean meat. There's protein in beans and other plant sources as well.

Lean dairy is also okay, however I avoid it because I find that it has an adverse affect on me and drains me of energy. You know, when dairy is pasteurized it kills the bacteria in it, but the dead bacteria is still in it. The body needs to work to get rid of that. That's the reason pasteurized dairy has a draining effect and increases mucus in many people. I'd recommend a cup of yogurt or kefir a day.

Finally, at the bottom of the list would be healthy grains. Whole grain bread, a whole grain cereal, maybe a spoonful of flax mixed in with your cereal. You shouldn't cut these things out of your diet completely. They're vital. You just need to go easy on them and avoid the refined flours and whatnot. Of course, this is assuming you're not sensitive to gluten, which many people are without knowing it.
You've absolutely made no valid claim as to why someone would or should avoid dairy.

If you can tolerate dairy, I'd certainly make it a part of your diet (even if you can't, there are low/no lactose products). There is plenty of information available to back this up.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #49
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There's no rule. If you feel like having a yogurt, have one. If you don't, don't. Your body will let you know what it needs. Don't force yourself to eat it.

I'm not sure what carbs you're referring to in your diet. All I see is the cereal in the morning. Are you thinking the fruits and vegetables are carbs? Because they're not.

I'm not sure what CLAs are but a teaspoon of flax oil every day or so is great. It'll give you a lot of the same stuff as fish oil and more. I'd recommend both, actually (fish & flax). I'd also recommend actual ground flax seed. It'll really clean your intestinal tract out. It's like a housekeeper for your colon.
LOL. How are fruits and vegetables not sources of carbohydrates?

Flax oil is great because he takes it!!!!!!!! Oh snappppp

But yes I agree, flax and fish oil can be a good addition to your diet if you are NOT ALREADY getting enough within your normal eating habits. But this is not a weight loss remedy if it contributes to a surplus of calories.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #50
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most vegetables are LOW CARB. You can eat salad all day and not get the carbs in one slice of bread. Every low carb diet worth a damn calls for plenty of vegetables.

I get annoyed at all these gymheads who keep harping on how essential meat is and how vegetables are full of carbs. They're not. Meat and animal products should only be supplementary to your diet, and not make up the crux of it.

You can eat salads and vegetables all day long and be considered on a low-carb diet. You're getting into high school level semantics about what a carb is and what a protein is. Did you know that PLANTS have PROTEIN too? Yeah, must've blown your mind with that one, huh.

Bottom line, vegetables are the basis of any healthy diet, including low-carb diets.
Please stop trying to appear like you know what you're talking about. Vegetables are carbohydrate based foods. Period. You said fruits and vegetables are not carbohydrates. That's not accurate.

Your cookie cutter view of diet is flawed. Can you tell me how eskimos remain healthy despite the lack of both fruit and vegetables in their diet due to climate and geographical location?

As far as my diet, I am known as a sympathetic, fast oxidizer. I oxidize carbohydrates very, very quickly; eating carbohydrates leaves me low energy as I convert them to glucose extremely quickly. In order to balance out my metabolism, I eat a diet consisting largely of fat and protein based foods to help slow down my oxidative rate and the conversion of carbohydrate into glucose. This may not work for you (or others) as you may be have a completely different metabolic type and would therefore require a different ratio of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins at each meal.

Human beings are omnivores and designed to eat both animal and plant based foods. Finding the write combination of these foods for YOUR metabolism is paramount to achieving optimal health. Each individual is metabolically unique just as we differ in appearance. Knowing this, we can debunk the myth that one diet will work for all people. This simply is not probable given the wide diversity of people and food availability worldwide. A diet that worked for you may cause imbalance in another person. One man's food is another man's poison.

Providing dietary advice or fitness advice for someone without assessing them first is foolish. If you're not assessing, you're guessing.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #51
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptikal12 View Post
For an out of shape person, Im sure the effect of raised cortisol (if any, let alone any significant amount) will be FAR outweighed by the activity and exercise they are getting from playing sports. Its not even a point worth discussing.

If this dude was an Olympic athlete and training 15-20+ hours a week, we might want to consider it. Otherwise he'd burn more calories thinking about what cortisol actually is than miss out on (burning), because it was 'raised' due to his 2 hour bball run.
Overweight individuals are malnourished and internally stressed. All exercise induces the release of cortisol and adrenalin from the adrenal gland because exercise IS a stressor and must be regulated as such. Too much cortisol and you become catabolic.

For individuals who are stressed, regulating exercise duration and intensity is important to preserve adrenal function and ensure that exercise produces an anabolic affect rather than a catabolic one.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #52
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Overweight individuals are malnourished and internally stressed. All exercise induces the release of cortisol and adrenalin from the adrenal gland because exercise IS a stressor and must be regulated as such. Too much cortisol and you become catabolic.

For individuals who are stressed, regulating exercise duration and intensity is important to preserve adrenal function and ensure that exercise produces an anabolic affect rather than a catabolic one.
They are trying to lose weight..... trying to be in a catabolic state.... release and use energy..... induce a calorie defecit.... see the drift?

I guess an overweight person could be malnourished in some respects.... but LOL. I wouldn't call them that.

Yes, there has to be some balance between how much exercise is too much. But for a beginner their body will tell them much sooner (lactic acid, out of breath, etc) before they have to start worrying about cortisol levels. Because after all, worrying about suppressing the release of cortisol might lead to more stress and more cortisol! Oh no.

Lets move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #53
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
lolllll diet and soda? sugary iced teas?

ah ok
Um, what?

I said I was cutting them out of my diet.

Look up the definition of a diet. It is a person's eating habit. My DIET right now consists of too much soda and sugary iced teas. I need to go on a DIET to cut them out of my DIET.

Words in the English language can have multiple meanings...

02-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #54
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Um, what?

I said I was cutting them out of my diet.

Look up the definition of a diet. It is a person's eating habit. My DIET right now consists of too much soda and sugary iced teas. I need to go on a DIET to cut them out of my DIET.

Words in the English language can have multiple meanings...

lol ok mister...my "eating habit" right now consists of too much soda and sugary iced teas..i need to go to a "eating habit" to cut them out of my "eating habit" lollll

your last sentence powned urself idiot..

oh wait...

""
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #55
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I never made the claim that someone should avoid dairy. Where do you even get that from. You quote me RECOMMENDING he include dairy in his diet yet you're saying I'm making a claim he should avoid it.

I said I avoid dairy because it doesn't sit well with ME. That's all.

Carbs in vegetables are negligible. You're only confusing the guy by insisting vegetables are carbs. 100g of lettuce has less than 2.5g of carbohydrates whereas 100g of whole wheat bread has almost 50g of carbohydrates. There's a huge difference. Get off it already. He can eat mixed salads to his heart's content every day and still not get as many carbs as he would get with a slice of bread.

As far as the flax and salmon oil (and I'll tie in the veggies in here too), these things go beyond the simple fats/carbs/etc formula. It's not about how many grams of fat a tsp of flax oil adds to your diet. It's about all the amino acids, minerals, vitamins (in the case of the veggies) that your body needs to run right and burn fat. The healthier your body is with all the different vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants, etc., the better it will run, the better you'll feel, the better you'll burn fat, the better you'll perform.
You are right, you did say dairy was 'okay'. Then mumbled some nonsense about how it makes you feel. Which would infer that he avoid it.

Bro..... What if those salads, were potato and bean salads and had corn in them!?!?

The only confusing thing is you stating vegetables and fruit are not a source of carbs (and hence calories).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #56
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
lol ok mister...my "eating habit" right now consists of too much soda and sugary iced teas..i need to go to a "eating habit" to cut them out of my "eating habit" lollll

your last sentence powned urself idiot..

oh wait...

""
WTF?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #57
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
1. How is typing anything "mumbling"? And how is it "nonsense" if I'm stating real world experience. You know how many people walk around with stuffy sinuses thinking they have pollen allergies when it's really just the milk they had that morning with their cereal? Face it, the MAJORITY of people cannot handle milk. Cow milk was meant for baby cows, not human beings. Throwing out the possibility that dairy may not agree with him isn't "mumbling nonsense", it's telling him what to look out for so that he can make more informed decisions.

2. Who the fuck eats potato & bean salads? Moreover, who looks at the advisement "eat more salad" and says "Yeah, I gots to gets me some potatoes salad drenched in mayo"? EVERYONE knows what "salad" consists of. It's leafy greens and other such vegetables, not potatoes. When I say "have some fries with your burger" do I now have to make clear that I mean POTATO fries and not any number of other things? Stop being ridiculous. That said, a potato still has less than half the carbs per equal amount than bread.
Bro..... Everyone knows that fruits and veggies are a source of carbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #58
Boben5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328 coupe

simple : play lots of basketball three times a week is good and lift weights at least five times a week. Stay away from fast food and your good.
      02-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #59
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08

If you wanna look Hollywood - Don't Eat
If you wanna look baseball - you know what A-rod did
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #60
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptikal12 View Post
They are trying to lose weight..... trying to be in a catabolic state.... release and use energy..... induce a calorie defecit.... see the drift?

I guess an overweight person could be malnourished in some respects.... but LOL. I wouldn't call them that.

Yes, there has to be some balance between how much exercise is too much. But for a beginner their body will tell them much sooner (lactic acid, out of breath, etc) before they have to start worrying about cortisol levels. Because after all, worrying about suppressing the release of cortisol might lead to more stress and more cortisol! Oh no.

Lets move on.
Your statement makes no sense. You don't know what catabolism is. A catbolic state is a tissue wasting state. No one wants to be in a catabolic state.

Overweight people are ALL malnourished. How do you think they became overweight? The body NEVER lies.

Lactic acid production results from anaerobic exercise. Cortisol is released from the adrenal glands largely during periods of stress but it also plays a large role in circadian rhythm. Being out of breath is lacking cardiovascular efficiency. Just becasue you are a beginner at exercise does not mean your adrenal glands are functioning properly.

You are another pseudo health intellectual. Please stop giving advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #61
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See my quote above. 100g of lettuce has less than 2.5g of carbs whereas 100g of bread has almost 50g of carbs. Stop confusing the guy by insisting vegetables are carbs. He could eat salads until his eyes turn green and he'd still be on a low-carb diet.
I can't belive we are arguing this point. ALL plant foods are carbohydrate based. If vegetables are not carbohydrate based foods, as you propose, what are they then -- protein or fat based? Lol.

Quote:
Here's a quote from a study on the Inuit (Eskimos):

Inuit Greenlanders, who historically have had limited access to fruits and vegetables, have the worst longevity statistics in North America. Research from the past and present shows that they die on the average about 10 years younger and have a higher rate of cancer than the overall Canadian population.

…We now know that greatly increasing the consumption of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and raw nuts and seeds (and greatly decreasing the consumption of animal products) offers profound increased longevity potential, due in large part to broad symphony of life-extending phytochemical nutrients that a vegetable-based diet contains. By taking advantage of the year-round availability of high-quality plant foods, we have a unique opportunity to live both healthier and longer than ever before in human history.

Wow. You really burned yourself with that one. Try picking examples that actually work in YOUR favor.
You say the American Eskimo and then you quote a "study" about Greenlander Inuit Eskimos. Nice.

Nice try, Sherlock. You find one excerpt on the INTERNET, and you believe it. Likely how you came about believinng the BS you post in this thread. I can find studies that say that smoking is good for you too.

Their life expectancy far outreaches 30 years of age and would only be shorter due to extreme living conditions not dietary intake. The native Eskimos have eaten the same diet for thousands of years. If they stay on that native diet, they live well. If they were to stray from it or have polluted food sources, they become sick and develop degenerative disease.

I suggest you dig into "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston A Price. It is one of the most comprehensive studies and accounts of native diets and the affect that the western diet has on the development of humans.

Quote:
And how exactly do you know this?
Because I am a Certified Metabolic Typing Advisor (CMTA). I know how I react to foods and which ratio of fats, protein, and carbohydrates works best for my metabolism. I am Oxidative Dominant, Sympathetic Second Dominant, and an Endocrine Type.

Individualized nutrition is coming. Too bad there is some much shit (marketing, misinformation) to wade through that people don't see it yet. Better for me though -- $$.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #62
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Cow milk was meant for baby cows, not human beings. Throwing out the possibility that dairy may not agree with him isn't "mumbling nonsense", it's telling him what to look out for so that he can make more informed decisions.
so we can eat the cows' muscles, but cant drink the milk that helped develop the muscles in the first place? chicken eggs are 'meant' to spawn baby chickens. should we also not eat those?

Quote:
You know how many people walk around with stuffy sinuses thinking they have pollen allergies when it's really just the milk they had that morning with their cereal? Face it, the MAJORITY of people cannot handle milk.
Someone remind me, is 1-3% considered a majority?

Quote:
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2002 Dec;89(6 Suppl 1):56-60. Related Articles, Links

Cow's milk allergy versus cow milk intolerance.

Bahna SL.

Allergy & Immunology Section, Louisiana State University School of Medicine, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130-3932, USA. sbahna@lsuhsc.edu

BACKGROUND: Although cow's milk allergy (CMA) and cow's milk intolerance (CMI) are two different terms, they are often used interchangeably, resulting in confusion both in clinical practice and in research reports. OBJECTIVE: To promote the appropriate differential use of the terms CMA and CMI. METHODS: Highlighting the differences in clinical and laboratory findings between CMA and CMI. Information was derived from reviewing the literature on these two topics, supplemented by the clinical experience of the author. RESULTS: CMA is an immunologically mediated reaction to cow's milk proteins that may involve the gastro-intestinal tract, skin, respiratory tract, or multiple systems, ie, systemic anaphylaxis. Its prevalence in the general population is probably 1 to 3%, being highest in infants and lowest in adults. Even though it can cause severe morbidity and even fatality, dietary elimination is associated with good prognosis. However, CMI should refer to nonimmunologic reactions to cow's milk (CM), such as disorders of digestion, absorption, or metabolism of certain CM components. The most common cause of CMI is lactase deficiency, which is mostly acquired during late childhood or adulthood. It has high racial predilection, being highest in dark-skinned populations and lowest in northern Europeans. Lactose intolerance is generally a benign condition, with symptoms limited to the gastro-intestinal tract, yet the primary acquired type lasts for a lifetime. Symptoms can be well ameliorated by reducing the intake of CM or using lactose-hydrolyzing agents. CONCLUSIONS: Adverse reactions to CM should be differentiated into immunologic (CMA) and nonimmunologic (CMI). The latter is still a general term that comprises several conditions and requires further differentiation.
do you ever base any of your opinions on actual facts, or do you just spout off whatever you think sounds good? i could point out the bullshit in just about every single one of your posts in this thread, but i would literally be here for hours.

i am still waiting for your response on this though:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=50
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #63
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, with tards like Bobby and Suare around, I'm surprised the OP isn't even more confused than he already is.
Tards? You're the guy who says vegetables are not carbohydrates. Give me a fucking break.

Quote:
I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about
Complete bullshit.

Quote:
So let's drop all the arguing and actually put our words to the test. Tell me what you dead/bench/and squat, tell me your 40 time, tell me your vertical, and tell me your % bodyfat. Since you guys are such experts, you should be head and shoulders above everyone. So speak up, let's hear about those real world results.
I am a former collegiate and professional wide receiver, dunce. I now have my own fitness and health/wellness company in SoCal.

40 time - 4.48 timed by B.C. Lions of CFL
Standing vertical - 37'' measured by multiple NFL teams
Pro Shuttle - 3.91 timed by Green Bay Packers
Standing Broad Jump - 10'2'' measured on my pro day
Bench - 305 lbs
Squat - 405 lbs
Deadlift - 415 lbs
Bodyfat - below 10% my entire life
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #64
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

meow
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #65
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, you know what they say: Those who can't, teach.
The irony of this statement is very profound.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #66
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Your statement makes no sense. You don't know what catabolism is. A catbolic state is a tissue wasting state. No one wants to be in a catabolic state.

Overweight people are ALL malnourished. How do you think they became overweight? The body NEVER lies.

Lactic acid production results from anaerobic exercise. Cortisol is released from the adrenal glands largely during periods of stress but it also plays a large role in circadian rhythm. Being out of breath is lacking cardiovascular efficiency. Just becasue you are a beginner at exercise does not mean your adrenal glands are functioning properly.

You are another pseudo health intellectual. Please stop giving advice.
Are you in a catabolic state when your body is breaking down adipose tissue to generate energy? Or do you think it only applies to muscle (which is why you are saying you don't want to be in a catabolic state)? And on top of that, your body is constantly generating and breaking down old and new tissue..... (anabolic and catabolic mechanism in constant action).... so pls shut up

Lactic acid is an example of why someone MIGHT stop exercising before they even have to worry about cortisol. On top of that, its basketball NOT long term steady state cardio. Depending on how they play, for example half court 3on3, it further proves my point and solidifies you as a dumb ass.

If you are eating the whole spectrum of micro and macronutrients but are eating them in a constant surplus, for which it has made you overweight. Are you still malnourished???

Definition:
malnourished
Adjective
physically weak due to lack of healthy food

LOL, what is it with people in here?
Appreciate 0