F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Death of BMW ///M
proTUNING Freaks

04-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #133
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
I forgot about the GKN stuff... they make the guts! From what I know BMW also has a hand in developing stuff with ZF and is part of the R&D budget...
I think most manufacturers will start using planetary gears with some form of electromechanicals it is more efficient and cost effective, that is what ZF and Ricardo use.

Here is the rest of the nonsense on the rear diff...

ZF Speak:
Vector Drive rear axle drive: intelligent torque distribution

As the drive torque is distributed to the left or right-hand wheel individually, the Vector Drive rear axle drive generates an additional yaw moment. This screwing motion lends support to the vehicle steering and stabilizes the car during sudden swerving without having to apply any of the wheel brakes. Vector Drive therefore results in better driving dynamics and enhanced safety. And, with its planetary construction, the rear axle drive even delivers when the engine has no traction, i.e. in cases where the driver is not accelerating, such as when descending winding mountain roads. It also prevents tire slip when moving off on all kinds of road surfaces, which reduces wear and tear and improves the vehicles traction.

BMW Speak:
Dynamic Performance Control switches power between the left and right rear wheels to stabilise the vehicle within milliseconds and help increase traction and lateral acceleration. Handling is lighter and more precise during normal as well as difficult driving conditions.

How Dynamic Performance Control works can best be described in canoeing terms: if you want to turn right when canoeing in the main current, you can brake using the paddle on the right side of the canoe. This is how most common electronic stability programs work. Alternatively, you could use the paddle powerfully on the left side of the canoe in order to have more control in progressing forwards and turning right. This is the principle behind Dynamic Performance Control.
It links the standard rear differential with a mechanical planetary gear set and an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch for each rear wheel. Its mechatronical system combines informatics, electronics and mechanics to process complex data such as the yaw rate, wheel speeds, steering angle and engine torque so that it can react immediately: when required, the system ensures that drive power distribution to the rear wheels can be freely varied and increased on either side as needed. The power distribution can also be displayed on the onboard computer.
Dynamic Performance Control increases directional stability when accelerating out of bends and provides the driver with extra support when dealing with difficult driving conditions. Before under- or oversteer can take place, lateral guided force is used to keep the vehicle on track. Precise steering significantly increases driving comfort and safety.
Dynamic Performance Control is also effective when the vehicle is coasting - when the driver removes their foot from the accelerator - or when they have pressed the clutch pedal. If the rear wheels are on different types of surfaces, Dynamic Performance Control improves traction by supplying more drive power to the wheel with more grip. A wheel torque difference of up to 1,800 Nm can be actively created between the left and right rear wheels. This increases driving stability and allows for much faster acceleration.
As a logical progression to the xDrive all-wheel drive system, Dynamic Performance Control can be matched to all drive concepts and engines. Whereas xDrive variably controls the power distribution between the front and rear axles, Dynamic Performance Control intelligently distributes power between the two rear wheels. This results in precise handling whatever the driving conditions.
Thanks for this additional information about the X-Drive diff.

I found this while hunting for some info on both Audi's version and the one used by BMW. I know this is an Audi advertisement for the S4 but it does help explain how the torque vectoring diffs actually work and their effect on the car.

Audi's Sportdiff explained
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #134
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
funny OP started this thread. i just recently caught up with one of my friends who's a designer at GM, works mainly on Caddie / Vettes but we brought up the topic of German automakers and he said the same exact thing. BMW's M is now the new AMG, it's lost its novelty and can be stamped on anything given its price tag....
Thanks....interesting comment from an insider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Why race people on the street when you can just run over their cars at the next stoplight.
Exactly!!! Or blow them up with ///M Bushmaster 20 mm cannon
      04-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #135
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Thanks....interesting comment from an insider.

Exactly!!! Or blow them up with ///M Bushmaster 20 mm cannon
Just to add on, he thought Korean automakers (Hyundai has been but was speaking more to Kia) will be coming out with better designs. Turns out (and this makes sense) that there's constantly a struggle between engineers & designers and in the case of GM, enginees tend to win out - which can be seen in some of their bland designs but it seems like the Korean automakers are more willing to give designers a bigger influence in the future of some of their lineups. But I don't think I'll be holding my breath on the Kia anytime soon

He also went to add on that he felt Audi is really paving the way among the 3 German makers and their market share should only continue to increase. I always thought some of their cars were overengineered on areas that need not be (speaking from experience having to deal with many electrical gremlins in my previous cars) but I really do like their line up and can't wait to see the new supercharged S4!
      04-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #136
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Just to add on, he thought Korean automakers (Hyundai has been but was speaking more to Kia) will be coming out with better designs. Turns out (and this makes sense) that there's constantly a struggle between engineers & designers and in the case of GM, enginees tend to win out - which can be seen in some of their bland designs but it seems like the Korean automakers are more willing to give designers a bigger influence in the future of some of their lineups. But I don't think I'll be holding my breath on the Kia anytime soon

He also went to add on that he felt Audi is really paving the way among the 3 German makers and their market share should only continue to increase. I always thought some of their cars were overengineered on areas that need not be (speaking from experience having to deal with many electrical gremlins in my previous cars) but I really do like their line up and can't wait to see the new supercharged S4!

I have been to Korea many times and some of the cars there are pretty good. I realize that Hyundai is not known for luxury in North America but some of the Hyundais in Korea are pretty cool and luxurious even though they borrow extensively from Japanese designs.

BTW, I like a resurregent Audi.....it will force BMW to wake up and invest in cars.
      04-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #137
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Actually, my favorite M5 was the E34 M5. 300 hp at a time when 300 hp was only in the exotics. Complete sleeper.

There is nothing better sounding that a normally aspirated enigne at 8000 rpm +.... With turbos all we are going to get are farty and whoosy sounds.
x2 even with recirculated dump it still sounds like an asthmatic kid. A turbo will tone down the engine sound. It doesnt sound like N/A which sounds like the engine is about to pop off out of the hood. N/A Hp's are also stronger than turbo's hp's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #138
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

BMW V6?

Now that we brought up the current Car and Driver, I saw in the Upfront section a little tid bit on the next gen M5 & M6. The article says the 2012 M5/M6 will have maybe a small displacement twin turbo V8, or "even a radical twin turbo V6." Then it went further that a V6 is being considered for the next gen M3.

OMG! What's next blue lighted gauges and no manual transmissions (e.g. the current X5).

Say it's not true!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #139
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248494

Complain away.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #140
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

A V6? Interesting.
      05-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #141
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

We have actually known this for a few months now.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #142
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
A V6? Interesting.
Actually, BMW has some very good 6 cyl. engines.
      05-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #143
MorpheIS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT, Sport, Prem

Gosh, I hope this isn't true.
      05-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #144
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep View Post
Actually, BMW has some very good 6 cyl. engines.
No shit. But no V6 engines.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #145
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...x5_m_interview

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #146
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
No shit. But no V6 engines.
GO WITH THE FLOWWW

I know they have straight 6 engines. I was just trying to make something out of his bold V like people do when theyre trying to say FAIL or something
      05-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #147
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

If BMW changes to V's....I may just leave. BMW's I6 is epic. It's historic and it's what has made them the company they are today. You can't stray away from heritage. I swear, the day Mercedes went V6 was the day that it all went to hell. The day BMW uses a V6, Hell will freeze over.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #148
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
If BMW changes to V's....I may just leave. BMW's I6 is epic. It's historic and it's what has made them the company they are today. You can't stray away from heritage. I swear, the day Mercedes went V6 was the day that it all went to hell. The day BMW uses a V6, Hell will freeze over.

Edit: I'm hoping it's just an editorial error..

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #149
MenTul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
2007 X3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
The article says V6 is "considered" not planned for M3 so don't get your panties in a twist.

Only reason to "consider" V6 over I6 is packaging. V6 offers a shorter block and allows for a lower hoodline.

Performance wise I6 has it over V6. Lighter block, inherently harmonic balanced.

E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522 LCCZ 688 TTGO730 BLACKLINES
E83 6AT ZSP ZPP 522 508 4AS 191M LUSW A35 NUVI755T BLACKLINES
Donzi ZR
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #150
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

This caught my eye in that article.

Quote:
2014: An M version of the next-gen 1-series may arrive powered by a twin-turbo inline-four. BMW is looking at the business case before any engineering plans are made, but the goal would be about 300 horsepower with a 2900-pound curb weight.
Now this is interesting....
      05-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #151
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Inline-6 engines are doomed to disappear. Main problem is that they take up too much space, therefore require long hoods, and are not very suitable for multi-platform use. Sad but true
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #152
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep View Post
I was just trying to make something out of his bold V like people do when theyre trying to say FAIL or something
I was merely pointing out the obvious.
      05-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #153
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenTul View Post
Only reason to "consider" V6 over I6 is packaging. V6 offers a shorter block and allows for a lower hoodline.

Performance wise I6 has it over V6. Lighter block, inherently harmonic balanced.
If they seriously consider building a V6, then I would seriously consider choosing the C63 over the M3.

Btw, whats your sig supposed to mean, I'm trying to make sense out of it...?
      05-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #154
MenTul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
2007 X3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
Btw, whats your sig supposed to mean, I'm trying to make sense out of it...?
Kein Mitleid Fur Die Mehrheit = No Mercy for the Masses

E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522 LCCZ 688 TTGO730 BLACKLINES
E83 6AT ZSP ZPP 522 508 4AS 191M LUSW A35 NUVI755T BLACKLINES
Donzi ZR
Appreciate 0