F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > GTR Tranny Blown. Nissan denies warranty, because stability control was turned off
GetBMWParts

10-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #67
petener999
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e65 750i, E46 M3

Why call it a supercar when they can't even back it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #68
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by petener999 View Post
Why call it a supercar when they can't even back it up.
What? What exactly about voiding the warranty on an abused transmission disqualifies this car from being a supercar? What are they not backing up? This cars performance, which is the prime determinant of supercar status, has been well documented by Nissan, TopGear, Car & Driver, MotorTrend, Evo, etc. I dont see how this is even relevant.

I cant say I feel bad for the guy at all. He drove his car like stole it, disregarded the service that is required after doing so, and his tranny blew up. Durr.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #69
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
It looks like Nissan might have just covered their ass legally because of this little note.

It still sucks though. I think what we need to confirm is if Nissan gave their performance figures with VDC turned OFF. If they did so, then they advertised the full performance of the car that is useable and therefore if the customer did the same (legally and safely, of course) then it might give the customer a leg to stand on when it comes to appealing against Nissan's decision.

I dunno. Any lawyers in here? I'm sleepy and thats the best I could think of lol.
damn, that is definitely not good for the customer's sake...still, it doesn't say that damage to the car could result if you drive with it off, it just says don't do it
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #70
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

A super car will perform well when pushed to its limits. If it breaks, I would not call it a super car.

If a car gets serviced in an engine bay next to a Nissan Sentra, I would not call it a super car.

If it is sold at a Joe's Pontiac, GMC, Nissan dealership, I would not call it a super car.

I find it funny that if it is seen on TV, or marketed as something it is not, folks still believe it even though there are no facts to support the claim.

I guess my definition of a super car is not reality.
      10-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #71
SDTopless
I just wanna do my car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 350z RevUp =)

it's an untraditional supercar
      10-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #72
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

my rear window motor went dead....and bmw almost denied me the warranty due to tinting too.....

everywhere is the same.....
      10-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #73
simpleE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92

1.see if all u guys drove nissans and this happen to a bmw u would call a bmw a peice of crap.

2.remember this guys drove his car hard from what it sounds like. and if u wanna play then u need to pay.

3.all cars are not created perfect, most 335 even being driven normal have oil cooler and wastegate and all these other little problems.

4. i have been driving nissans for a long time, and all diff types and ive never had a problem other then the ones i caused.
20x10 and 20x8.5 / 285-245 / et 35 all around / rear fenders rolled / 6000k hid headlights / 6000k hid fog lights / GP Thunder cornering lights / Mtec Super White angel eyes / full led interior / led plate lights / h&r sport spings / 2-10 inch kicker L7 / kicker 1500x2 amp / kicker 1000x4 /full dynamat trunk/5% tints all around / ACS Style Roof Spoiler / carbon fiber roundel overlays / led plate lights/ more to come........
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #74
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

i don't understand people on this forum all you guys try to do is find other things wrong with other cars so you feel better about your purchase lol
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #75
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
A super car will perform well when pushed to its limits. If it breaks, I would not call it a super car.

If a car gets serviced in an engine bay next to a Nissan Sentra, I would not call it a super car.

If it is sold at a Joe's Pontiac, GMC, Nissan dealership, I would not call it a super car.

I find it funny that if it is seen on TV, or marketed as something it is not, folks still believe it even though there are no facts to support the claim.

I would agree with the reliability issue. That would have be very important.

I cannot however agree with the badge issue. We all know that Merc and Audi produce cars in low/higher markets. Audi for example produce the A3 which is just a hatchback (a great one at that) yet produce an R8 supercar. Merc for example produce the fugly A-class yet produce the SLR. Badge doesnt determine if something is a supercar. It might just affect its supercar image among people who care too much about the badge.
      10-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #76
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

oh ok, I thought performance was a main determinant of supercar status. Apparently it just depends on where you buy it.

What exactly would you call a "supercar" that gets its ass handed to it by a $70k Nissan "non-supercar" from Joes Nissan dealership? Not so super, i guess.

Also, launching an 400hp AWD vehicle 20+ times without service is not pushing limits, its abuse. There is a reason no US-spec supercar comes with launch control.

Ferrari's and Lambo's catch on fire driving around on normal roads. Lambos also have shit reliability, and Murci's with E-gear often require tranny rebuilds after just a few thousand miles. These cars often arent even being pushed to their limits and they break, so by your definition, they must not be supercars.

Last edited by oldaccount; 10-11-2008 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #77
JayML
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

nothing like buying a 80k car, and worrying if you drive it hard, your warranty will void. if you take it to the track, your warranty will void. if you turn the traction control off, your warranty will void

people wanted to believe this car was so amazing, they turned a blind eye to the fact that YOU CANNOT DRIVE THE CAR 100% THE WAY THE CAR HAS BEEN MARKETED WITHOUT VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY. you just cannot duplicate the numbers nissan claims

its distgusting what nissan has done. they have flat out lied to the public

you know whats going to happen...... someone is going to turn the vdc off for a launch. maybe turn it off once or twice. a year down the road have a tranny problem, and nissan is going to download the data from there POS black box and say " sorry sir, we see you turned the vdc off . sorry no warranty for you"

it also says the vdc can be turned off if you are stuck in snow or gravel and need to turn it off to get traction. what if i do this, and the tranny breaks? thats ok? and how would they know if i turned the vdc off for being stuck or driving hard?

sorry nissan, you lost a customer for life. im so turned off by this whole gtr situation that i wouldnt even get another nissan now. why would i want to give them my money. there a bunch of con artists
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #78
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

im sorry but this is complete bullshit...

why put the option in the car if it can not be used in the first place..wtf is that? Is this some kind of trap for owners to get their warranty voided. Im sorry but anyone would use that launch control and even vsc. What if you want to take the car to a track and u have no take vsc off? Isnt this car suppost to be a serious competitor? They built a car and you cant even use it to its max. Honestly i would sue their ass.

Even my bro in law whos a marketing director says they marketed the car so wrong, making people believe things that are not true. He says its a matter of time before they get sued. Who would want to buy this car now?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #79
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post
oh ok, I thought performance was a main determinant of supercar status. Apparently it just depends on where you buy it.

What exactly would you call a "supercar" that gets its ass handed to it by a $70k Nissan "non-supercar" from Joes Nissan dealership? Not so super, i guess.

Also, launching an 400hp AWD vehicle 20+ times without service is not pushing limits, its abuse. There is a reason no US-spec supercar comes with launch control.

Ferrari's and Lambo's catch on fire driving around on normal roads. Lambos also have shit reliability, and their often the ones with E-gear require tranny rebuilds with just a few thousand miles on them. These arent being pushed to their limits, so by your definition must not be supercars.
i think your wrong...if Nissan knew it would be abuse the option should never ever be there. Especially a car thats AWD and the launch control is so known on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #80
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post
nothing like buying a 80k car, and worrying if you drive it hard, your warranty will void. if you take it to the track, your warranty will void. if you turn the traction control off, your warranty will void

people wanted to believe this car was so amazing, they turned a blind eye to the fact that YOU CANNOT DRIVE THE CAR 100% THE WAY THE CAR HAS BEEN MARKETED WITHOUT VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY. you just cannot duplicate the numbers nissan claims

its distgusting what nissan has done. they have flat out lied to the public

you know whats going to happen...... someone is going to turn the vdc off for a launch. maybe turn it off once or twice. a year down the road have a tranny problem, and nissan is going to download the data from there POS black box and say " sorry sir, we see you turned the vdc off . sorry no warranty for you"

it also says the vdc can be turned off if you are stuck in snow or gravel and need to turn it off to get traction. what if i do this, and the tranny breaks? thats ok? and how would they know if i turned the vdc off for being stuck or driving hard?

sorry nissan, you lost a customer for life. im so turned off by this whole gtr situation that i wouldnt even get another nissan now. why would i want to give them my money. there a bunch of con artists
+1 to pretty much all of that. it is truly a shame that Nissan has been so deceptive. This would be the same thing if BMW said that you'd void your warranty for using LC or for turning off DSC. Total bullshit on Nissan's behalf. I honestly don't think that some of the stories that we have heard will have enough evidence to sue Nissan, but I hope that I am wrong and I hope that somebody brings this dishonesty to light.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #81
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
i think your wrong...if Nissan knew it would be abuse the option should never ever be there. Especially a car thats AWD and the launch control is so known on it.
Thanks for reading the thread.

Some examples already pointed out was the Ford Focus N2O and the BMW M3 CSL.

Both manufacturers put out 'options' to make the car more aggressive, but both void the warranty when used. I don't see any difference with Nissan. Launch control isn't even documented in the manual.

By most people's opinions, we shouldn't even consider a BMW because they void people's warranty due to special "options".

It's really strange that people act like this is the first time a car manufacturer has actually done this, did we forget about Mitsubishi voiding warranties based on forum threads?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #82
e92leon
我的車車有Turbo&!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 빠른차

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
2006 RX-8 (SE3P)  [0.00]
that's horrible
      10-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #83
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So Nissan should foot the bill because their customers are too busy to RTFM, that plainly outlines what is and what is not covered under warranty on the product they just bought?

You can put a brand new 335 in 1st, mash the gas pedal and drop the clutch >20 times, thats an "option", should BMW cover this too? How are the customers to know that this is bad for the car and will eventually destroy the transmission and/or clutch? Oh, right, common sense.

You can choose drive your car responsibly and within limits, or you can drive like a jackass. The manufacturer can also choose to deny your warranty claim because your dumb ass decided to the latter.

Also, your warranty is not voided simply by using LC or disabling VDC. any damage resulting from doing this will void the warranty, but the act of doing so in itself does not void anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #84
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So Nissan should foot the bill because their customers are too busy to RTFM, that plainly outlines what is and what is not covered under warranty on the product they just bought?

You can put a brand new 335 in 1st, mash the gas pedal and drop the clutch >20 times, thats an "option", should BMW cover this too? How are the customers to know that this is bad for the car and will eventually destroy the transmission and/or clutch? Oh, right, common sense.

You can choose drive your car responsibly and within limits, or you can drive like a jackass. The manufacturer can also choose to deny your warranty claim because your dumb ass decided to the latter.

Also, your warranty is not voided simply by using LC or disabling VDC. any damage resulting from doing this will void the warranty, but the act of doing so in itself does not void anything.
turning vsc off voids warranty, and i think its kind of different launching a car at 6k every time if its manual, compared to a system that can do it for you. Most of the time people launching at 6k dont know what they are doing..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #85
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
turning vsc off voids warranty, and i think its kind of different launching a car at 6k every time if its manual, compared to a system that can do it for you. Most of the time people launching at 6k dont know what they are doing..
In the manual it says VSC off may be used to get the car unstuck. Thus not voiding the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #86
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
turning vsc off voids warranty
fuck, people. read.

Quote from Nissan North America

Quote:
The singular thing people need to remember is that using launch control does not void the warranty - The warranty clause regarding the operation of the vehicle with VDC turned off states that Nissan will not cover damage or failures of otherwise covered components, IF it can be determined that the use of launch control led or contributed to the failure. The act of using launch control (which requires turning off the VDC) will not automatically void the vehicle warranty. Simply put, the warranty outlines that failures or damage resulting from things such as misuse, accidents, non-factory modifications, etc. are not covered under the factory warranty.

Further, the warranty states that VDC should only be turned off to help when rocking the vehicle when stuck in mud or snow.

Nissan will not void the entire warranty on any of our cars based on one specific issue of one specific component or system, however, a part or system won't be covered under warranty if Nissan determines that the failure was as a result of misuse, modifications, etc. (as mentioned above).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #87
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

yes and no...technically, you are correct that disabling VDC doesn't void your warranty. However, the way that the black box is setup in the car, if you ever disable the VDC it will permanently be on the record and Nissan could potentially try and use that against you. It seems like a big loophole for Nissan to escape warranty claims IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #88
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
yes and no...technically, you are correct that disabling VDC doesn't void your warranty. However, the way that the black box is setup in the car, if you ever disable the VDC it will permanently be on the record and Nissan could potentially try and use that against you. It seems like a big loophole for Nissan to escape warranty claims IMO.
I really dont see a dealer denying a legitimate warranty claim from someone who has launched their car a few times. They know what this car is primarily built for and what the owners intend on doing with it, and they will be paid one way or another. But no one is going to just give away free transmissions because some idiot does 4500rpm launches from every stoplight and stop sign he happens to come across.

Even in this guys case, Nissan didnt just blindly deny his claim. They investigated the situation, took all relevant information into consideration (brand new car, low miles, 20+ launches, no service, and who knows what the OP has neglected to divulge), determined that the transmission was abused, and rightfully denied his claim. All the bleeding heart philanthropists here who sympathize with the OP with the busted transmission would be out of business in a month if they ran a company the way they expect Nissan to.
Appreciate 0