F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Muscle Rehabilitation
Studio RSR

06-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Muscle Rehabilitation

Quick background: I used to workout about 4 days a week. My workout would consist of running and lifting. I really don't know a lot about working out but it makes me feel better, that's why I do it. Plus, I'd like to get rid of a few extra unwanted pounds.

Back in February, I fractured my arm snowboarding. So my arms was immobile for a while. Once I got the ok from my doctor, I went back to the gym. When I was lifting, I went lighter than normal but I did the same amount of workouts as before I fractured my arm. Bad idea. For about a week, I wasn't able to extend my arm because it hurt so bad. I didn't realize how much strength I had lost from not being able to move my arm.

That scared me, so a month went by and I decided to try to lift again. This time around, I used less weight and did a much less rigorous workout. Again my muscles were so sore, I didn't return to the gym for a while.

I really don't know what to do to get back to where I was. Any suggestions?

FWIW, it happened every time I worked out my biceps. I would always do triceps the next day but I never was able to get to that point to see if it would happen with that muscle group.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Have you been working out regularly lately?

It's just going to take time. I've trained plenty of people recovering from injury, and it's difficult because they want to jump right back into it. Just readjust all your weights so you are able to get some good sets. Fortunately you should gain the strength faster than you did the first time, as muscle memory is very powerful.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

On Easter Sunday -(8 weeks ago)...I broke the Radial head to my left arm during a fall while jogging over a short wall.

I weigh 220lbs at 6'1" and it snapped like a twig under a straight-armed over head spill. Pretty graceful looking I'm sure.

I've broken several bones in the past from martial arts training etc. The thing I did was to avoid getting a full cast and get out of the splint and sling on week one. 3 days to be exact. I quit taking the pain meds and switched to 800ml Ibuprofen and began moving my fingers asap.

Each day I pushed range of motion till tears....right up till I could place my arm behind my back and touch my head again under its own power. I still have big pain with tight motion such as trying to touch the shoulder from the front or doing a push-up.

Its a painful process for certain ! But I'm glad I did it because I began lifting light weights about 3 weeks ago and was able to hang my full body weight from a pull up bar ( with pain)....and do no damage.

The pain will remain for some time during muscle recovery and as you stretch your tendons and muscles back to square one. Just don't stop.

Its always better to due more reps with light weights until your positive your pain management feels normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

ease back into it for sure...also try warming up on an arm bike...

why no PT (physical therapy)? how's your range of motion?
      06-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Sorry for the late response guys, I had a couple exams in my summer classes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
Have you been working out regularly lately?

It's just going to take time. I've trained plenty of people recovering from injury, and it's difficult because they want to jump right back into it. Just readjust all your weights so you are able to get some good sets. Fortunately you should gain the strength faster than you did the first time, as muscle memory is very powerful.
I have not been working out regularly lately. Like I said in my OP, when I would try to get back into it, my muscles would hurt so bad. To the point where I couldn't extend my arm fully for almost a week. I have a relatively light (10 - 40 or 50 pounds) set of free weights at my house. I think I'll just use those until I feel comfortable going to the gym again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
On Easter Sunday -(8 weeks ago)...I broke the Radial head to my left arm during a fall while jogging over a short wall.

I weigh 220lbs at 6'1" and it snapped like a twig under a straight-armed over head spill. Pretty graceful looking I'm sure.

I've broken several bones in the past from martial arts training etc. The thing I did was to avoid getting a full cast and get out of the splint and sling on week one. 3 days to be exact. I quit taking the pain meds and switched to 800ml Ibuprofen and began moving my fingers asap.

Each day I pushed range of motion till tears....right up till I could place my arm behind my back and touch my head again under its own power. I still have big pain with tight motion such as trying to touch the shoulder from the front or doing a push-up.

Its a painful process for certain ! But I'm glad I did it because I began lifting light weights about 3 weeks ago and was able to hang my full body weight from a pull up bar ( with pain)....and do no damage.

The pain will remain for some time during muscle recovery and as you stretch your tendons and muscles back to square one. Just don't stop.

Its always better to due more reps with light weights until your positive your pain management feels normal.
I actually fractured the Radial head in my left arm lol. During the day it got a little warm and at night, it got really cold so the snow turned into a sheet of ice. I was trying to be careful so I wouldn't get hurt (figures lol). And I wasn't even doing anything stupid. I hit a patch of ice, slipped and fell with my arm fully extended. Out of all the times that I have when flying off of jumps and rails, I would get hurt with my board on the ground. Lol

Props to you though. I was only in a sling for two weeks but I never wore it. I was always trying to move my arm to get the range of motion back. But I wasn't as hardcore as you lol.

Quick question...when you straighten your arm, make a fist and rotate your wrist left and right, does your elbow make a clicking sound? Mine does. Idk if that's normal or not but it doesn't hurt me so I don't feel like I need to go to the doctor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
ease back into it for sure...also try warming up on an arm bike...

why no PT (physical therapy)? how's your range of motion?
I have full range of motion now. The doctor said that instead of putting my arm in a cast, he just wanted me to wear a sling for a few weeks and then just be careful with it. That would eliminate my arm from getting stiff and needing PT. That's how I understood it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Sorry for the late response guys, I had a couple exams in my summer classes.

I have not been working out regularly lately. Like I said in my OP, when I would try to get back into it, my muscles would hurt so bad. To the point where I couldn't extend my arm fully for almost a week. I have a relatively light (10 - 40 or 50 pounds) set of free weights at my house. I think I'll just use those until I feel comfortable going to the gym again.

I actually fractured the Radial head in my left arm lol. During the day it got a little warm and at night, it got really cold so the snow turned into a sheet of ice. I was trying to be careful so I wouldn't get hurt (figures lol). And I wasn't even doing anything stupid. I hit a patch of ice, slipped and fell with my arm fully extended. Out of all the times that I have when flying off of jumps and rails, I would get hurt with my board on the ground. Lol

Props to you though. I was only in a sling for two weeks but I never wore it. I was always trying to move my arm to get the range of motion back. But I wasn't as hardcore as you lol.

Quick question...when you straighten your arm, make a fist and rotate your wrist left and right, does your elbow make a clicking sound? Mine does. Idk if that's normal or not but it doesn't hurt me so I don't feel like I need to go to the doctor.

I have full range of motion now. The doctor said that instead of putting my arm in a cast, he just wanted me to wear a sling for a few weeks and then just be careful with it. That would eliminate my arm from getting stiff and needing PT. That's how I understood it.
No clicking or popping within THAT motion....but I'm still feeling some crunching when warming it up for weight lifting. THOSE hurt pretty good when it 'SNAPS' or crunches.....but only for a nano second or so.....but does so for about 8 reps.

As of this morning, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to straighten it under its owns power ? It locks out slightly short of straight. The same when hanging from a pull-up bar-(straight down)..just draping.
Appreciate 0