BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

09-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Rostasteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black M3

Help bleeding the clutch

This may be a dumb question, but I'm really stumped on bleeding the clutch. I bleed brakes on regular basis, so I know that routine well.

I jacked up the car, removed the transmission cover, pressurized the brake fluid reservoir with a Motive Power Bleeder to 10 psi, attached a hose, and loosened the little plastic bleed screw. No flow.

I increased power bleeder pressure to 15psi. Nada. I pushed the clutch pedal, fluid came out, but the pedal stayed down. Manually pulled the pedal up, pushed it again, more fluid came out but the pedal stayed down again. This doesn't seem right to me.

Why isn't the fluid flowing without me pumping? What am I doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

there is a one way valve in the clutch. don't put pressure with a motive bleeder. instead leave the bleeder screw open and pump the clutch.fluid will only flow 1 way. make sure you keep topping up the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Rostasteve
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
there is a one way valve in the clutch. don't put pressure with a motive bleeder. instead leave the bleeder screw open and pump the clutch.fluid will only flow 1 way. make sure you keep topping up the reservoir.
When you say "pump the clutch", you mean I should manually lift the pedal off the floor after pushing it? Or do you expect the pedal to come back up by itself?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Leave the motive attached to assist with fluid flush. Sometimes it does that where the pedal feels like it looses pressure but after you're done and you close the valve, manually push and lift the pedal, it takes a lot of rapid pumps but it comes back.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
Rostasteve
Private
Rep

Okay, so I'll do this again next weekend:
1. Motive bleeder on for assistance. (will be using for a brake bleed anyway)
2. Open valve
3. Push clutch pedal
4. Lift clutch pedal off the floor with my hand
Repeated 3 + 4 until fresh fluid comes out
5. Close valve, remove motive bleeder, put everything back.
6. Pump the pedal until it feels normal before driving

Right?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostasteve
Okay, so I'll do this again next weekend:
1. Motive bleeder on for assistance. (will be using for a brake bleed anyway)
2. Open valve
3. Push clutch pedal
4. Lift clutch pedal off the floor with my hand
Repeated 3 + 4 until fresh fluid comes out
5. Close valve, remove motive bleeder, put everything back.
6. Pump the pedal until it feels normal before driving

Right?
Yes that's it

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I usually do not use the Motive when bleeding a slave. If you have two people, do the pedal pump method, with one person under the car opening and closing the slave. If there is just me, I remove the slave and bleed it manually, by holding it in my hand, releasing the bleed, depressing the piston, tightening the bleed and repeating 4 or 5 times. Hold the slave with the bleed end up. On some cars, you may have to undo the nut holding the bracket that holds the union of the flexible hose with the hardline into the slave so you can maneuver the slave around.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

The motive bleeder works on my 09. You just have to open up the bleeder screw more than you think.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I usually do not use the Motive when bleeding a slave. If you have two people, do the pedal pump method, with one person under the car opening and closing the slave. If there is just me, I remove the slave and bleed it manually, by holding it in my hand, releasing the bleed, depressing the piston, tightening the bleed and repeating 4 or 5 times. Hold the slave with the bleed end up. On some cars, you may have to undo the nut holding the bracket that holds the union of the flexible hose with the hardline into the slave so you can maneuver the slave around.
I though this car had a check valve on the slave making it a one person job now?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
I though this car had a check valve on the slave making it a one person job now?
This is a timely discussion ... I am about to bleed my brakes. I've done it once with the Motiv bleeder, but doubt it that the clutch was bled. More info will be extremely useful. Thank you guys.
      10-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Yes it does but the motive is a must to help push old fluid out

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #12
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
sub
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

I always thought in manually doing it, you pump the clutch couple of times, then hold it depressed while you open and close the bleeder valve. Repeat again once you've had some pressure build up.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
DTremens
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Additional comments on clutch bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Yes that's it

Can anyone further chime in on their experience with bleeding the clutch on an e9xM3?

1). For a single person job, is the procedure as detailed above essentially it: top reservoir, fill motive bleeder with fluid and attach to reservoir and pressurize for assistance; open valve; lift and depress clutch pedal 3-4 times, close valve; remove bleeder & close reservoir and the. pump clutch until firm ?

2). Some other threads mentioned that it’s a one way check valve so that all you need to do is open the valve, depress the clutch 10 times, close the valve and then pump the clutch until it gets firm, while making sure the reservoir is completely topped off (see: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343891 and see: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=14). is this the better way to do it or better to have the pressure bleeder attached?

3). Although not for an M3 this website (http://www.billswebspace.com/BMWCDVMod.htm) fills and attaches the pressure bleeder and then opens the valve, allows the fluid to flush and then closes the valve without depressing the clutch. Any thoughts on this method - (other then try it and see what happens )

4). I am trying to have a backup plan in the event that the above doesn’t work. Is it pretty straightforward to remove the slave cylinder and bleed it by hand in the event that the above doesn’t work? Thanks for any additional guidance!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #15
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I always remove slave, hold with bleeder up, open bleeder, depress piston by hand, close bleeder, release piston and repeat. It’s a lot to do by yourself but I do it. I get mixed results with the Motive on slaves so I don’t bother with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #16
DTremens
Rep

Quote:
I always remove slave, hold with bleeder up, open bleeder, depress piston by hand, close bleeder, release piston and repeat. It’s a lot to do by yourself but I do it. I get mixed results with the Motive on slaves so I don’t bother with it.
Thanks, pbonsalb. Key is to make sure that the reservoir stays topped off correct? Is it just the one bolt to detach the slave? (#17 on realoem? https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=21_0208).

Any tips on removing the slave cylinder?

Is it fairly easy to remove and then manipulate the slave? (doing this on jack stands). Thanks again.

Last edited by DTremens; 01-17-2018 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: link to diagram from realoem
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #17
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

2 bolts for the slave, one on top visible in the diagram at 17 and one on the bottom. Plus a bolt for the hose bracket at 12.

It’s pretty easy to me but I have done it before. Jack stands should be fine though less convenient than a lift obviously. Depressing the piston takes a little force as does holding it especially while you tighten and loosen the bleed. I doubt you will run the reservoir too low but you could top it off after every couple of depressions from which noticeable fluid comes out. The fluid is messy. Ideally you have a hose on the bleed nipple looping over into a container. Even harder for one person to manage alone but I have done it. If you do this sequence 4-5 times that is sufficient. Most important thing is to hold slave so bleed nipple is at top since that is where the air will be.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #18
DTremens
Rep

Quote:
2 bolts for the slave, one on top visible in the diagram at 17 and one on the bottom. Plus a bolt for the hose bracket at 12.

It’s pretty easy to me but I have done it before. Jack stands should be fine though less convenient than a lift obviously. Depressing the piston takes a little force as does holding it especially while you tighten and loosen the bleed. I doubt you will run the reservoir too low but you could top it off after every couple of depressions from which noticeable fluid comes out. The fluid is messy. Ideally you have a hose on the bleed nipple looping over into a container. Even harder for one person to manage alone but I have done it. If you do this sequence 4-5 times that is sufficient. Most important thing is to hold slave so bleed nipple is at top since that is where the air will be.

pbonsalb, Thanks again for your insight! It’s much appreciated. (Hopefully it’ll all go as planned).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

If there is some really easy way that always works, try that first. Others are saying there is no need to pull the slave. It may be that the manual method is only needed when replacing the slave.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #20
DTremens
Rep

Thanks. I guess it can’t hurt to try with the pressure bleeder attached, open the valve and pump the clutch to see what happens. I’d rather not deal with drawing air into the line though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #21
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I did not know it was that simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #22
DTremens
Rep

Quote:
I did not know it was that simple.
Not sure if it's indeed that simple but will post back when I do this. The links I posted about issues bleeding the clutch got me thinking (maybe too much)
Appreciate 0