F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > What the heck happened to BMW?
proTUNING Freaks

05-03-2024, 04:59 PM   #111
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Only in a sad sense: it's FWD just as the current 1 Series. If FWD wasn't something I'd ABSOLUTELY hate to return to I'd (have) love(d) to consider a recent(/current?) Mini JCW (3 door, MT, of course) but "luckily"(?) I had an even more insurmountable reason to skip that.
I have to agree. There is no substitute for RWD, with the exception of rear-biased AWD.

Sadly, some day, BMW will probably go full FWD, as the profits over product mentality seems to have hit nearly every industry over the past 15 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 05:54 PM   #112
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
I have to agree. There is no substitute for RWD, with the exception of rear-biased AWD.

Sadly, some day, BMW will probably go full FWD, as the profits over product mentality seems to have hit nearly every industry over the past 15 years or so.
Exceedingly unlikely
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-03-2024, 09:02 PM   #113
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

every model on clar platform is compromised or from an engineering point of view unoptimized
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2024, 11:29 AM   #114
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthilly View Post
My mom has a 2018 X1 that unironically has the best steering of any bmw I've experienced. Cadillac's are good. Alfa Romeo's are my favorite. My dad had a Stelvio and it's my favorite EPAS steering today.
A 2018?! The fwd X1?! Really?! That definitely was not my experience. If you said a 2015 I wouldn’t doubt that.

05-04-2024, 01:03 PM   #115
noemon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtsM5 View Post
Equivalent to an M5??? LOLOL are you kidding.??
Nope.

The new M5 is the M550. That is the M550 is BMW's flagship family saloon GT.

It is a family saloon and a Grand Tourer which is what the M5 is supposed to be.

The M5 on the other hand, is a heavy, bulky beast with an identity crisis.

You cannot carry the family in it, nor can you tour Europe or the US in it as it is extremely uncomfortable even in the Comfort setting, nor is it track capable, though it pretends to be, as any M3 will just kill it around the track.

Still an awesome car, but it just doesn't belong in a category.

I was always an M5 fan and started my M-career with an M5, I realy wanted to like the F90, I test drove it more than 6 times trying to convince myself that it's a good buy. It isn't. The M3 and the M550 make a lot more sense. I went with the M3 in the end as I prefer something nimble to something big that is space-ship fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 03:49 PM   #116
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Exceedingly unlikely
Just watch. Bit by bit.

Unless we have some kind of systemic sea change that allows interesting companies building high-quality products to build those interesting products without getting pushed out of the market.

The same pattern has been going on for at least 15-20 years. High-quality SMEs (particularly in Europe [Germany and Italy, where many of the best are located]) are forced to first manufacture overseas before finally slowly degrading quality, reducting options, and ultimately offering more mass market-oriented products. In addition, design is dumbed down and blandness ensues.

The United States is one of the worst places for this across industries--a country where nearly everything is a strip mall or McHouse subdivision, or products are reduced to the lowest common denominator.

RWD is nearly a niche-product feature these days. BMW already has many FWD models, which is something once thought impossible.
Appreciate 3
      05-05-2024, 03:40 PM   #117
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noemon View Post
Nope.

The new M5 is the M550. That is the M550 is BMW's flagship family saloon GT.

It is a family saloon and a Grand Tourer which is what the M5 is supposed to be.

The M5 on the other hand, is a heavy, bulky beast with an identity crisis.

You cannot carry the family in it, nor can you tour Europe or the US in it as it is extremely uncomfortable even in the Comfort setting, nor is it track capable, though it pretends to be, as any M3 will just kill it around the track.

Still an awesome car, but it just doesn't belong in a category.

I was always an M5 fan and started my M-career with an M5, I realy wanted to like the F90, I test drove it more than 6 times trying to convince myself that it's a good buy. It isn't. The M3 and the M550 make a lot more sense. I went with the M3 in the end as I prefer something nimble to something big that is space-ship fast.
IDK.

For me, when it comes to the G30/F90 cars, the M550 is an odd duck. The cars have gotten quite large, yes, but they are only about 20 cm longer than an equivalent 3.

The 5 series is pretty nimble for its size. The issue I have with the M550 is that you get the weight and nose-heaviness of the M5, but you don't get the full M suspension to deal with it.

The 540 and M5 both work for me, but the 550 just seems an oddball car. With the 540, you have a lighter, more balanced car, but a somewhat more road-oriented suspension, and with the M5, you have extra weight and less balance, but a better suspension setup for sporty driving.

With the 550, you get both the softer setup and the weight.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 04:09 PM   #118
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post

RWD is nearly a niche-product feature these days. BMW already has many FWD models, which is something once thought impossible.
Let’s not overstate the facts. BMW has five fwd models. The 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Coupe (of which they sell very few), the X1, the X2, and the 2 Series Active Tourer.

05-05-2024, 04:56 PM   #119
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let’s not overstate the facts. BMW has five fwd models. The 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Coupe (of which they sell very few), the X1, the X2, and the 2 Series Active Tourer.
You pulled the statement out of context (most interesting)--the "niche product" statement was referring to cars in general.

As for BMW, show us the global sales numbers for the FWD models.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #120
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

Quote:
A 2018?! The fwd X1?! Really?! That definitely was not my experience. If you said a 2015 I wouldn’t doubt that.
Yes, the F48! She bought it when my dad had his 2017 340i. I would bet my entire being that was the case. We had a turo 2017 330i w/thp recently and I drove them back to back - x1 steering had better weighting, and way more feedback. Guessing that's due to mini platform & systems. The x2m35i is shockingly fun too.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #121
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep

By the way... has anyone driven a model 3?! I just drove one for the first time - standard range rwd. I couldn't believe how good it was. I would take it over a 330i any day of the week in terms of dynamics - loves to rotate, steering feel is great, nearly no understeer. I am still shocked.

Was disappointed to get one over an a4.. nope. It was truly incredible.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #122
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
By the way... has anyone driven a model 3?! I just drove one for the first time - standard range rwd. I couldn't believe how good it was. I would take it over a 330i any day of the week in terms of dynamics - loves to rotate, steering feel is great, nearly no understeer. I am still shocked.

No, I don't think anyone has driven the most vanilla car on the road. I bet you anything you were the first one!
Appreciate 1
dizz81359.00
      Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #123
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

EVs will save RWD (and AWD) - you can see that most purpose designed EV platforms that are not AWD are RWD.

EVs simply have too much torque to work well on FWD without neutering the acceleration. There is also few, if any, packaging and weight/space savings advantages to go FWD on an EV.

So, it is very unlikely that BMW and any other top OEM will end up with a purely or mostly FWD line up. You can thank EVs for that.
      Today, 12:30 AM   #124
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
No, I don't think anyone has driven the most vanilla car on the road. I bet you anything you were the first one!
to be fair, neither me nor my 5 closest friends that like cars had ever tried it since we all assumed it kinda sucked.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:11 AM   #125
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Really? I drove a base model rwd one too and it seemed almost scary to drive fast around corners with the lack of feedback.
Appreciate 0