F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Death of BMW ///M
ARMA SPEED

05-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #155
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
If they seriously consider building a V6, then I would seriously consider choosing the C63 over the M3.

Btw, whats your sig supposed to mean, I'm trying to make sense out of it...?
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #156
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenTul View Post
Kein Mitleid Fur Die Mehrheit = No Mercy for the Masses
I know what it translates to, but couldn't associate any further meaning. A quick look on Wikipedia revealed that it is a German Industrial Rock Band. Is that what you're referring to?
      05-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #157
MenTul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
2007 X3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Inline-6 engines are doomed to disappear. Main problem is that they take up too much space, therefore require long hoods, and are not very suitable for multi-platform use. Sad but true
The problem isn't hood length. You can't mount an I6 transversely to support FWD application.

This is not a problem for premium brands such as BMW and MB since they do not share platforms with FWD cars (ie. Audi & VW). Should this change, buying cars will be the same as going blind into a store that sells shit and only being able to choose by the smell (very similar to US election booths).

E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522 LCCZ 688 TTGO730 BLACKLINES
E83 6AT ZSP ZPP 522 508 4AS 191M LUSW A35 NUVI755T BLACKLINES
Donzi ZR
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #158
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Before you go and have an emotional breakdown over the fact that a V6 is worse than a V8 I suggest to do some learning about engines in general.

My M3 can keep up with lots of other V8s on the track and it only has a 4 cylinder NA engine. BMW is trying to get back into smaller lighter and more nimble cars. If you want a Pontiac GTO go get one... just make it quick before they shut down the factory.
      05-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #159
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

First let me say I am not trying to cross link or post to an another site for promotion- there is just no feasible way for me to re-write with diagrams the explanation of the new CCM in the turbo ///M V8 effectively while explaining the future as BMW sees it.

Description of the new ///M V8

How this pertains to this post is simple- read between the lines of what it states in the break down of this motor. There will be future offerings using this motor and the tech in it.

There are two methods being explored for the next M3 (the M5/M6 will be similar to the current turbo with some changes in power delivery etc. from what I gather)

The V6 is one option that is being tested with a CCM though it is said to be less refined then BMW would like, the other option is an inline 6 with another new way of plumbing the turbos- it will also be a radical departure from current ideas of inline 6s

BMW is actually quite opposed to the V6 as Audi and their parasitic supercharger will be heading to market soon and they see it as a cheap/cost gap solution which they can share with all the other VW brands; BMW wants no part of even being mentioned in such light so that is why unless the BMW CCM V6 is a far superior product than the other options they will not do it.

The reason for the FI is because there is no other way for BMW to get emissions even lower and produce the needed power/weight ratio. Even with making cars lighter it will be difficult.

We shall all see though...
      05-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #160
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

If BMW goes the V6 route, I'm gone. End of story. The I6 is what makes a BMW, a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #161
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
If BMW goes the V6 route, I'm gone. End of story. The I6 is what makes a BMW, a BMW.

V8 V10 and V12's are all good BMW engines.... not V6, inherently vibration prone.

At this rate, BMW might as well outsource its engines to Chrysler if wants a V6. <sarcasm added>
      05-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #162
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
If BMW changes to V's....I may just leave. BMW's I6 is epic. It's historic and it's what has made them the company they are today. You can't stray away from heritage. I swear, the day Mercedes went V6 was the day that it all went to hell. The day BMW uses a V6, Hell will freeze over.
that's what enthusiasts said about bmw switching from a flat twin boxer to 4 cylinder engine on their motorcycles but their k-series have been kicking a$$ since day 1!
      05-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #163
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i drove the e92 M3 several times and that car feels dead to me too.. Nothing like the S54 which had heart and soul.. these new M's feel watered down...
      05-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #164
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
that's what enthusiasts said about bmw switching from a flat twin boxer to 4 cylinder engine on their motorcycles but their k-series have been kicking a$$ since day 1!
And then BMW came out with the oil-head flat twin...

And the flying brick is now a transverse in-line 4, like every other Japanese bike.

When BMW goes to a V6 with a 90 deg. block (based off the M V8) and has to use counter balancers to smooth it out, it will be like every other manufacturer. No reason to buy one. Can't wait until BMW drops manual transmissions from the US market too.

If BMW needs to get more power for the M3, why didn't it make a 3.5 in-line six with turbos?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #165
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
And then BMW came out with the oil-head flat twin...

And the flying brick is now a transverse in-line 4, like every other Japanese bike.

When BMW goes to a V6 with a 90 deg. block (based off the M V8) and has to use counter balancers to smooth it out, it will be like every other manufacturer. No reason to buy one. Can't wait until BMW drops manual transmissions from the US market too.

If BMW needs to get more power for the M3, why didn't it make a 3.5 in-line six with turbos?
They don't need more power from the ///M3. People are missing the point to all this- they need less green house gases, lower emissions and greater efficiency, they can't do it the NA route neither can anyone else. The pending changes to emissions regulations is forcing this and it is NOT their choice.

an inline six with multiple turbos is also in the works... as I stated earlier in this thread.

they have power, efficiency and emissions numbers they must hit with each motor, whatever they come up with will be the best solution to the problem. BMW is not VW/Audi they are not designing an engine for multiple brands and strapping a super charger on a V6.
      05-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #166
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
They don't need more power from the ///M3. People are missing the point to all this- they need less green house gases, lower emissions and greater efficiency, they can't do it the NA route neither can anyone else. The pending changes to emissions regulations is forcing this and it is NOT their choice.

an inline six with multiple turbos is also in the works... as I stated earlier in this thread.

they have power, efficiency and emissions numbers they must hit with each motor, whatever they come up with will be the best solution to the problem. BMW is not VW/Audi they are not designing an engine for multiple brands and strapping a super charger on a V6.
Agreed,

It's funny but I sit and read some of the posts regarding the shift to Forced Induction and laugh out loud at the negative comments like BMW are selling out. Give me a break, every manufacturer is in the same boat, check out the 2015 emission regulations and you will see that no one has a choice in the matter.

A bit harsh with the comments on VW/Audi, the truth is all companies use engines that appear else where, think the Mini and you know what I mean. The 3.0TFSI in the S4 is actually a pretty decent engine, check out the power and torque curve and you will see it has more torque everywhere compared to the S5's 4.2v8. I did hear that Audi actually had two versions of the V6 testing, one you see here today and another that had twin turbos. Why they choice the supercharger instead of the turbos is any one's guess but they clearly had their reasons and it must have had to do with more than just efficiency and emissions.

It will be interesting to see how the new 4.4tt in the X6M performs, whether or not the lag for the turbos are completely gone or just reduced to a level that's not really noticeable.

P.S.

Look forward to hearing what you find out about the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #167
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post

The E9X M3 has a V8 because BMW couldn't make the HP numbers that the Benz AMG and Audi S4 do with a 3.0L in-line six. So I guess the next round of performance sedans from BMW, Merc, and Audi will tout their low green house emissions? Oh Boy can't wait for that.

BMW already has a in-line six with multipule turbos... The one with the fuel pump problems.

BMW already uses the 7-Series motor in the Rolls Royce.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #168
pleasanton335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/Carbon 2011 e92 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The E9X M3 has a V8 because BMW couldn't make the HP numbers that the Benz AMG and Audi S4 do with a 3.0L in-line six. So I guess the next round of performance sedans from BMW, Merc, and Audi will tout their low green house emissions? Oh Boy can't wait for that.

BMW already has a in-line six with multipule turbos... The one with the fuel pump problems.

BMW already uses the 7-Series motor in the Rolls Royce.
The S4 has never had an in-line six. B5 S4 was bi-turbo V6, and B8 is Supercharged V6.
Appreciate 0