F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Owner Advice - Dealer Interaction Post Sale
proTUNING Freaks

10-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #1
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
New Owner Advice - Dealer Interaction Post Sale

Hey all, looking for advice as a first time NEW BMW owner. This is my 3rd BMW but my 1st purchased brand new so never had to deal with the dealership post sale before as maint./warranty was expired.

When I went to pick up my license plates, I asked the CA which SA he recommended. He said I could schedule directly with the SA or contact him and he would set it up.

Do you all continue working with the CA post sale? Or, does the baton get passed to the SA?

In terms of services, MyBMWApp lists a bunch of services but the only one that has a price is Alignment. Does this mean everything else is covered?
When I get to the Service Center, can I just drive in? Or, do I park outside and go to the front desk?

Thank you in advance for educating this neophyte.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
So much of what you asked depends on your individual dealership and advisors.
Your Maintenance coverage these days covers only scheduled services for 3-years/36,000 miles, unless you purchased any extension. The original covers only fluids and filters. It does not cover wiper blades, fan belts, or tires or alignment. Doubtful that you'll need spark plugs in 36,000 miles but some of that is CBS (condition based service) and the car will tell the dealer what is due. Everything else is on you. I might align my BMW when it needs new tires. And then I might not, especially if my tires are wearing evenly or in typical BMW patterns (middle of rears and edges of fronts). You should not need it with every oil service unless your roads are just awful.

If your dealership has a drive-in service reception, then drive in. That's pretty easy.

I would fall back on your client advisor only if you have an issue with Service your service advisor can't resolve. Remember that your client advisor may have made as little as $200 on your transaction so don't expect miracles. He also may be gone to greener pastures before your maintenance program expires. I believe the average time at a dealership these days is between two- and four-years. I started 45-years ago so don't ask me how it's done these days!! I'm obviously a bad example. My customers will reach out to me if the Service phone is busy, if they can't get a loaner, if there's any issue, or if the service isn't complete on-time. There is really little I can do, but I do what I can. That's probably why I have repeat customers that span three-generations in the same family. But please, when you're making demands of your client advisor, please remember that the car you may have paid $100,000 for may have netted your client advisor $200 in commission or "flat" payout. In my experience that can work out to $4/hour for their time spent with you. Please be reasonable and follow the Golden Rule.
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3571.50
      10-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Congratulations on the new purchase.
I think I can help answer some of your questions.

You just deal with the SA now - depending on the dealership, you'll have just one SA you interact with (which is rather nice, since it's one face, so you get to build up a good relationship with them).
You might go through a couple of different SA's and settle on the one whose style you're happy with.
You can always meet with your CA - for instance, socially at the dealership.
They will likely ask you how your new ride is - as part of good customer service.
And if you feel you aren't getting anywhere with your SA, you can always ask your CA for help. Naturally, that's something that'll work initially, while you are still fresh in your CA's mind.
Like in your case, your CA offering to set up the SA appointment at first.

The app stuff to buy etc confuses the crap out of me - everything (except wiper blades) should be covered in the first 3 years. yet alignment surprisingly isn't. (oil changes every year, brake fluid every 2 years - are covered).
I don't know if there's some package that covers alignment.

I've always just driven to the service center section (be it the drive slowly through as the doors open, or just a car port), driven the car in there and then talk to the SA with whom I have an appointment, hand them the key, and they take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
So much of what you asked depends on your individual dealership and advisors.
Your Maintenance coverage these days covers only scheduled services for 3-years/36,000 miles, unless you purchased any extension. The original covers only fluids and filters. It does not cover wiper blades, fan belts, or tires or alignment. Doubtful that you'll need spark plugs in 36,000 miles but some of that is CBS (condition based service) and the car will tell the dealer what is due. Everything else is on you. I might align my BMW when it needs new tires. And then I might not, especially if my tires are wearing evenly or in typical BMW patterns (middle of rears and edges of fronts). You should not need it with every oil service unless your roads are just awful.

If your dealership has a drive-in service reception, then drive in. That's pretty easy.

I would fall back on your client advisor only if you have an issue with Service your service advisor can't resolve. Remember that your client advisor may have made as little as $200 on your transaction so don't expect miracles. He also may be gone to greener pastures before your maintenance program expires. I believe the average time at a dealership these days is between two- and four-years. I started 45-years ago so don't ask me how it's done these days!! I'm obviously a bad example. My customers will reach out to me if the Service phone is busy, if they can't get a loaner, if there's any issue, or if the service isn't complete on-time. There is really little I can do, but I do what I can. That's probably why I have repeat customers that span three-generations in the same family. But please, when you're making demands of your client advisor, please remember that the car you may have paid $100,000 for may have netted your client advisor $200 in commission or "flat" payout. In my experience that can work out to $4/hour for their time spent with you. Please be reasonable and follow the Golden Rule.
Thank you for your insights! I really appreciate your response. I did get Ultimate Care+1 and Platinum Warranty 7yr/75k, and purchased from BMW of Fairfax
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I've had my car serviced at BMW of Fairfax. They offered discount coupons for an oil change that was the cheapest of all the area dealerships near me.

For service, their service department/building is down the road from the showroom. If I remember correctly, there are three large garage doors when you pull up to the service building. Stay to the right and pull up. If the garage door isn't open when you pull up, drive slowly towards the garage door and the sensors will automatically open the door. Once you're inside, you'll be greeted by an employee that will ask if you have an appointment and what service you are in for. They'll do a quick walk around to check the condition of the car. Because I was only there for oil changes, mine was simple and I didn't have to sit down with the SA or deal with getting a loaner as I waited for my car. When you go into the waiting area, they have a gift shop there that's nice to browse through. Further back, you'll find the waiting room with TVs and a cafe which you can get snacks and drinks.

Overall, nice experience for the little I had to deal with their service department.
Appreciate 0