F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > LPFP upgrade
ARMA SPEED

03-04-2024, 09:08 PM   #1
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

LPFP upgrade

Hey everyone. I reached out to Doug Newton regarding tuning on Nostrum injectors and he said he can, but he recommends upgrading the LPFP at the same time. He got 675 whp on e40 with a DAW & upgraded injectors (stock LPFP) and thinks he can do better with the LPFP upgraded. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? I have not researched them a ton. I'm still not quite sure how to wire the Hobbs switch to activate the second pump in higher boost on the little research I have done. I remember seeing a true plug & play drop-in LPFP, but I believe that was for the B58 TU, not first gen.
      03-04-2024, 10:50 PM   #2
jav140i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M140I

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Hey everyone. I reached out to Doug Newton regarding tuning on Nostrum injectors and he said he can, but he recommends upgrading the LPFP at the same time. He got 675 whp on e40 with a DAW & upgraded injectors (stock LPFP) and thinks he can do better with the LPFP upgraded. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? I have not researched them a ton. I'm still not quite sure how to wire the Hobbs switch to activate the second pump in higher boost on the little research I have done. I remember seeing a true plug & play drop-in LPFP, but I believe that was for the B58 TU, not first gen.
Fuel-It Stage 3, Precision Raceworks Stage 3 etc. Installing LPFP and Hobbs switch is very easy, just plug Hobbs sensor in the charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 09:01 PM   #3
Spyder
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

You see though, I have been wondering. With the price of a new LPFP, why not replace the pump in the stock basket with something like a walbro 525lph fuel pump? The EKP won't be properly calibrated but that would mean the pump works harder than it needs too.

Am I missing something or do people spend a lot of money that is not necessarily needed? With out the hobbs switch as well the system should be more reliable and the one pump should be able to keep up with most setups (except for the folks running +1000hp or close too using precision raceworks LPM ratings)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 10:23 PM   #4
Empire087
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi 8at 15.5 CCSB 3500

What is the stock fuel pump even rated at lph wise?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 08:56 AM   #5
Spyder
Rep

It is 255lph if FCP euro is accurate. You would have a hair over double your stock fuel flow with one pump.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 11:16 PM   #6
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

I thought the lack of fueling was from the HPFP and LPFP needs upgrading when going PI? At what point does it need upgrading to reap the benefits? Thanks 🤙
      03-24-2024, 02:35 PM   #7
Empire087
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi 8at 15.5 CCSB 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
It is 255lph if FCP euro is accurate. You would have a hair over double your stock fuel flow with one pump.
Its funny, the diy crowd is so weird in the bmw world, takes a generation or so of new car to people to get interested in doing stuff. Maybe ill toss one in my in tank setup this summer, and see how it runs. I ran a 535 in my n54 e92 with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #8
Spyder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
I thought the lack of fueling was from the HPFP and LPFP needs upgrading when going PI? At what point does it need upgrading to reap the benefits? Thanks 🤙
With the new DI injectors coming out there would also be a need to upgrade your LPFP from what I am reading. If you go PI though, yes, you would need upgrade as well. All of this assumes the rest of your car is up to the task be it HPFP, Turbo, or engine internals.

Also, Empire I was most likely going to attempt this myself soon as I will probably be going with larger DI injectors. If you go port injection it might be best to rely on the Reflex controller to turn on a secondary pump via a relay. at least as of right now. I am thinking about seeing what the EKP modules are like. if you could get a dump from them than perhaps they have a table that would relate to fuel demand? If that's the case WinOLS would theoretically change things for a new pump (or two of the same type).

The other problem is power. I haven't even looked to see how much more the current harness can take but I think that is the reason that the BM3 ECA routes all the way to the dash for data/power? More research is required for sure. The power info is pulled out of my ass I feel. It is weird that BM3 changed the wiring/install (I don't remember seeing a reason why).
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2024, 10:48 AM   #9
Spyder
Rep

A few updates because I am terribly wrong on some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
This number isn't quite accurate. The pumps should be within ~220-255 range though based off of the different numbers I have seen on various sites.

The hellcat pump is not going to work because for whatever reason my brain never registered that it was a brushed pump. That being said there are plenty of brushless options out there that flow even more fuel than the hellcat pumps.

The EKP no longer has any coding, any calibration is handled by the DME. On top of there are more issues with pushing the EKP/wiring/connectors too hard than I care to think about. It is also interesting that PFS seems to have removed the drop-in brushless replacement they had from their website. It could be to too much power draw so in all likelihood this idea at best could only get marginal improvement.

some options to fix some of the issues are obvious like larger gauge wires but some other potential fixes for things are active cooling (ECS tuning already has a couple options for this) and perhaps some beefier components (think different mosfets and the like) swapped into the EKP. The latter option is also a bad idea but an idea none the less. research ongoing...
Appreciate 1