F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > GSP vs Anderson Silva. If it happens, who you got??
Extreme Powerhouse

03-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #23
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Silva

/thread

He's a natural 185 now. The extra weight on GSP will slow him down.
      03-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #24
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Gsp can easily takedown bj because his size and timing. His timing and how he mixes it up are one of the best in MMA. The question is if he can do that vs a striker of Anderson's level and against someone that size. We will see.

Kos was not rated as a better striker than GSP. More power but not as technical. In a wrestling match kos would kill Gsp but if you add in strikes, Gsp is the better MMA wrestling. Gsp's bjj is underrated, he may not have the sub resume but there's a lot more to bjj than subs. The way he controls position and passes Someones guard are top notch (have seen him roll in person).

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #25
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
Silva

/thread

He's a natural 185 now. The extra weight on GSP will slow him down.

You must not realize that Georges is about 190 hydrated. The reason why he wants to gain weight is to put on more muscle and cut down to 185. He can easily cut down to 185 if he weighs 200-205.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #26
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I just hope the Silva v GSP fight actually happens, these 2 guys really are at the top of their weight class. I really don't want to see GSP take on Fitch or BJ Penn provided he beats Shields.

I think if GSP moves up to 185 he will have a harder time because at 175 he uses his size and athleticism to out-muscle guys and take them down at will. This has always been a big part of his game plan and tactic to winning fights which are mostly by decision. However, if GSP can take Silva down at will then Silva will have his hands full and it will be a tough fight.

Silva is technically brilliant, he has pin-point accuracy and precision with his shots meaning his size rarely seems to come into play. I love watching his style because he breaks opponents down mentally by ducking and weaving everything they throw and returning shots that land every single time. He looks like he's always cruising in 2nd or 3rd gear and he has a few more up his sleeve. The Sonnen fight really tested him but he had a rib injury and Sonnen later tested positive for roids so take what you want from it. GSP seems to grind out his decisions with a lot of wrestling and superior cardio but doesn't really have that KO power that Silva posses so it's a very interesting match up.

I would have to give it to Silva but it wouldn't surprise me if the fight went either way. I really think Silva can KO anyone at 185/205 and if he finishes GSP, it should silence all the haters.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #27
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
You must not realize that Georges is about 190 hydrated. The reason why he wants to gain weight is to put on more muscle and cut down to 185. He can easily cut down to 185 if he weighs 200-205.
I don't watch UFC much, but I'm learning
      03-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #28
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
I don't watch UFC much, but I'm learning
All good. I'm kinda partial to Gsp due to affiliations but I can't pick a winner in this one.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #29
Got Euro ?
Here Comes The Boom
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

I would like to say GSP as he is PERFECT but i would be very worried of the speed and power from anderson with his stand up. GSP has to be able to control anderson. All in all tho i respect both fighters so much and may the best man win if it happens
      03-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #30
serge_chez
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i E90

I get how Andersons speed and punches are on another level. But GSP always decides how the fight will be. That is where he is superior and has the edge I think. He determines whether the fight will be up or down. Anderson has shown to be easily taken down and does not have a chin.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #31
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_chez View Post
I get how Andersons speed and punches are on another level. But GSP always decides how the fight will be. That is where he is superior and has the edge I think. He determines whether the fight will be up or down. Anderson has shown to be easily taken down and does not have a chin.
How does a guy who has never been knocked out not have a chin? I don't recall him even put down by a punch in recent memory.

Easily taken down also? Against a juiced up Chae, Anderson stuffed 3 takedowns and was taken down twice. That's pretty good takedown defense despite being injured against a former div 1 wrestler.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #32
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 535I

im just glad sonnen wants a piece of that f#cking brit bisping now. I'd love to see that fight. Sonnen>Bisping
      03-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #33
serge_chez
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How does a guy who has never been knocked out not have a chin? I don't recall him even put down by a punch in recent memory.

Easily taken down also? Against a juiced up Chae, Anderson stuffed 3 takedowns and was taken down twice. That's pretty good takedown defense despite being injured against a former div 1 wrestler.
Watch the Chael fight. He hit him a couple times and got him wobbled(and chael is not known for his power) and that is how he got a couple takedowns. He was taken down more than twice I believe. Hendo took him down easily as well. That is what I am saying, Sonnen took him down and yeah he is a former D1 wrestler, but GSP is a better wrestler. So imagine what he can do.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #34
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_chez View Post
Watch the Chael fight. He hit him a couple times and got him wobbled(and chael is not known for his power) and that is how he got a couple takedowns. He was taken down more than twice I believe. Hendo took him down easily as well. That is what I am saying, Sonnen took him down and yeah he is a former D1 wrestler, but GSP is a better wrestler. So imagine what he can do.
Size is a big factor in Wrestling IMO. In the 4th, Anderson got reversed on the ground and the 5th, he slipped.

Hendo is world class.

Keep in mind I know people who have trained w Gsp and I am a big hendo fan, he came and helped coach us as he knew my wrestling coach. This was pre his Mma career.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #35
newdadkel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM

GSP is also training with some of the best at Jacksons camp.
Silva is training with...Steven Segal?!!!! J/K

If the fight is signed, it would be very interesting to see how they would train for it being that they are the top 2 fighters in the world. Who is going to simulate that in camp?
Really hope it happens since the whole Fedor thing fell through a couple of years ago when Dana was trying to get him to UFC to see who really was the best heavyweight. Now he's done. Just shows you how short the window is to get something this big together
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #36
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

+ 1
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

How about they give Bisping a title shot? I would LOVE to see him get KTFO
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #38
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdadkel View Post
GSP is also training with some of the best at Jacksons camp.
Silva is training with...Steven Segal?!!!! J/K

If the fight is signed, it would be very interesting to see how they would train for it being that they are the top 2 fighters in the world. Who is going to simulate that in camp?
Really hope it happens since the whole Fedor thing fell through a couple of years ago when Dana was trying to get him to UFC to see who really was the best heavyweight. Now he's done. Just shows you how short the window is to get something this big together
Team Blackhouse has really good fighters. I would take them over Jackson MMA.
Anderson Silva (UFC)
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (UFC)
Lyoto Machida (UFC)
Antônio Rogério Nogueira (UFC)
Junior dos Santos (UFC)
Paulo Thiago (UFC)
Jose Aldo (UFC)
Ronaldo Souza (Strikeforce)
Mark Muñoz (UFC)

However, GSP trains with more than just Jackson MMA. He trains with Gracie Barra and TriStar gym also.

You're right though, neither team can replicate the other fighter.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #39
serge_chez
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
How about they give Bisping a title shot? I would LOVE to see him get KTFO
Okami would get the title shot next. Supposedly Vitor wants a shot at Bisping now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #40
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
I have to disagree w/ you guys saying GSP uses size and strength to out muscle people at 170. When in fact GSP is fairly small for 170, he only cuts roughly 10lbs before a fight, he is much smaller than guys like Thiago Alvares. GSP uses flawless technique and amazing speed for his takedowns, thats why they are so affective

look at the way he closes distance when he goes for a take down, its lighting fast. I dont think he will loose one bit of speed by going up in weight, not only cause the type of training he does but also the type of diet he will use to get the extra weight

still cant wait for this, look how much attention this is getting and the fight is still theoretical
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #41
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdadkel View Post
Jon Jones.
      03-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #42
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Bisping is a bitch, I can honestly say if I ever met him, I would laugh in his face!
      03-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #43
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
I have to disagree w/ you guys saying GSP uses size and strength to out muscle people at 170. When in fact GSP is fairly small for 170, he only cuts roughly 10lbs before a fight, he is much smaller than guys like Thiago Alvares. GSP uses flawless technique and amazing speed for his takedowns, thats why they are so affective

look at the way he closes distance when he goes for a take down, its lighting fast. I dont think he will loose one bit of speed by going up in weight, not only cause the type of training he does but also the type of diet he will use to get the extra weight

still cant wait for this, look how much attention this is getting and the fight is still theoretical
I did not mean he uses his size and strength to out muscle people all the time. His takedowns as I have said before is because his timing is just the best in the business. He gets the takedown often off a punch, either his own or someone else's. He sets them up superbly.

However, size can partially help negate takedowns. It certainly helps. Anderson is no slouch in the speed department either.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #44
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

This is definitely an epic fight and go either way; and no doubt will make the UFC a lot of money which is why I think Dana wants it more than anyone right now.

All that aside I think 8/10 times GSP would win this fight by decision. Silva is only going to beat GSP with a KO. We all know GSP has no intentions of striking at all with Silva.

I also predict a really boring fight. GSP is going to sit outside of Silva's range. Silva will be very hesitant to move into range due to the takedown threat. Couple that with Silva preferring to counterstrike and it will make for a lot of dancing around with not much going on in terms of actual hits. A lot of positioning, feints, and footwork will be happening but not much else.

Why GSP then? GSP will eventually get a takedown when Silva gets frustrated because GSP is the more patient fighter. Silva has great BJJ don't get me wrong, but it won't be good enough to submit GSP from guard. I do see Silva having the ability get eventually get back up, but GSP will eventually get him back down again thus scoring more points.

Or... GSP could surprise us and come out very aggressive which obviously will make for a better fight from our point of view