F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW 9 Series Concept Rumored for Beijing Car Show
ARMA SPEED

04-03-2014, 04:38 AM   #45
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Last week SCOTT26 stated the following:

Quote: "The X7 will not be the end of the expansion for the luxury segment for BMW." and

"I don't think there will be a 9er. More likely an 8er."

We don't know in what extent this may concern the concept from Beijing though.

Last edited by lasovan; 04-03-2014 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #46
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 35i e93

Well, there is no financial limit to a reasonable - and increasing - number of people on the planet. there will be buyers for a 700hp/X9M for 200.000€ and there would be buyers for a 1200hp/X11M for 500.000€... on and on and on... though the numbers will get smaller and smaller and the questions is, will it pay out for BMW?

BMW should (and will) think only in terms of yield - not "what the world needs".
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #47
The Big O
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 M Coupe

Great stuff. Time to take on Merc more forcefully. Cars like the 7,8 and 9 can only help enhance the image of the brand, which has taken a beating with their focus on smaller, volume sellers
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #48
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Why not try and make the 7 series a better car before going bigger? The reviews for that car are abysmal so what makes them think a larger version of an already huge car would be successful?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #49
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
What if you really liked a specific brand of ice cream, that one that uses the right ingredients and used to make your favorite ice cream, and that brand made its name by selling that specific flavor of ice cream that no one else could replicate. Ok, now, it has a lot of new flavors..thats nice, for each his own, but they just dont make the ice cream that you used to love anymore, the flavor that made the company name, made its heritage of ice cream making.

Thats what im talking about..i dont care if BMW keeps making more models to expand its line of flavors..as long as they keep using the ingredient that made them what they are known for, and that one flavor that everyone loved..but it seems that they dont really care anymore about using the best ingredients to produce their ice cream, nor make the best flavor that they used to make.
ah, that's a good analogy. I'm all for model proliferation and cost-cutting, modular platform sharing, etc... it's how the business is and if you can find the car YOU like, who cares if BMW is also making several other models you DONT like.

but, the recent criticism of modern F-series BMWs has been that the very virtues they were once known for have slowly been diluted to the point where the competition has caught up (or passed them depending on which reviews you read). What we're talking about is direct steering connection to the road, that perfect compliant yet firm BASE suspension, linear predictability during cornering.

I don't think the two issue have to be related (proliferation of lineup + loss of core handling/steering characteristics), but it does seem like it's been heading that way.
      04-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #50
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
What if you really liked a specific brand of ice cream, that one that uses the right ingredients and used to make your favorite ice cream, and that brand made its name by selling that specific flavor of ice cream that no one else could replicate. Ok, now, it has a lot of new flavors..thats nice, for each his own, but they just dont make the ice cream that you used to love anymore, the flavor that made the company name, made its heritage of ice cream making.

Thats what im talking about..i dont care if BMW keeps making more models to expand its line of flavors..as long as they keep using the ingredient that made them what they are known for, and that one flavor that everyone loved..but it seems that they dont really care anymore about using the best ingredients to produce their ice cream, nor make the best flavor that they used to make.
Although the analogy isn't fair imo because in car industry you can't use the same ingredients/parts and the same production technology for unlimited amount of time I nevertheless think they do make the same flavor. They've just changed its name. Did you like the e36 or e46 coupe flavor? Now it is called the 2 series flavor. Voila! This might not be true for all the models though and I understand what you mean. It makes me thing a bit of Porsche, they may be more successful in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #51
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Better start making bigger trunks to fit all of these numbers and letters on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #52
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Whilst this is exciting, if I'm to ever spend over a 100k on a Bimmer it needs to be something that beats 911 Turbo S / McLaren 650S.

BMW really should break into the sports car/supercar market. They've done practically everything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #53
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDirty View Post
A current 7er only barely fits in a standard German parking bay...is the 9er going to come with its own pop-up garage?
It's not for European markets anyway, I think. It's targeted at the US and Asian markets where the size of a car is not an issue.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      04-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #54
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I don't mind this as much as the moves going down market..
But wonder who they're targeting who would pick an XL 7 vs a junior Rolls
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #55
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor_yo View Post
I own a BMW 435 m sport, and I love it. So no, I'm not just being a "hater"...with that being said, BMW is lowkey getting on my nerves! All these damn models. It's turning into the Walmart of vehicle brands; just throwing out as many freaking models as possible all for $$$ sake. Just slow down, reel in the money grubbing big wigs, and focus on making the "ultimate driving machine"! Kudos on the 2-series and 4-series (although the nomenclature was a completely effed up move IMO). But the new X's for example (primarily the fugly X1 and unnecessary X4), and now this 9-series?!?! It's just killing and watering down the brand. Wtf does 2015 have in store???? "Introducing the new X17 and 23-series"....FOH!
with all do respect...you only looked at the models you prefer and discarded the interest of millions of others?!
There's nothing wrong with expanding product portfolio as long as there's a market for it...and looking at competition, you can be sure that there is...the only difference is that BMW has waited long enough to come up with products that are fine tuned and enhanced compared to the competition (take the new 2 series for instance vs. MB's B class...now I'm not a 2-series customer but I can tell you when that small tourer is out, MB needs to rethink it strategy on its B series...)...other pioneering models like X6 and now X4...they will have their bulk of clients...look at X6...target to sell: 20,000 actual sold 80,000. X4 is planned to sell huge (here read this http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahel...n-made-x4-suv/)... i'm not a X4 customer either...
just saying, if it is something you don't like, doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a success...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #56
mgoodnight
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 Coupe

they are all to big for me. I'll stick with my Z4.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #57
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

BMW has a history of creating concept vehicles that they had no intention of building. I think this is just one more of those. To me, the more important aspect of this story is that the "9 Series Concept" will preview BMW's new interior design theme that will be introduced in the next 7er. And that's sorely needed. The new S-Class interior has left the old 7er far behind imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #58
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeentoofast View Post
Well, there is no financial limit to a reasonable - and increasing - number of people on the planet. there will be buyers for a 700hp/X9M for 200.000€ and there would be buyers for a 1200hp/X11M for 500.000€... on and on and on... though the numbers will get smaller and smaller and the questions is, will it pay out for BMW?

BMW should (and will) think only in terms of yield - not "what the world needs".
Yes the most expensive BMW Group car is yet to materialise.

But it will be an exclusive Rolls-Royce Roadster based on a shortened version of the next Phantom series which uses an updated version of the previously shown V16 engine earmarked for the next Phantom.
But will be upgraded to accommodate new fuel saving efficient measures such as an update of BMWs cylinder dimming introduced on the LCI F01 which in a revised form will feature with the new 7er.
Essentially you are looking at a close to a million dollars Rolls-Royce...

And it will sell.

The importance of commitment to the high end luxury market is that in 2015 it is projected that China will reach 1 million units of luxury vehicles.
SUVs in the luxury segment are a current example that is why there is now finally an X7 due to action and reaction.

It makes sense to launch this car in China because it is conceived for the above cause. There has been a lot of progress for BMW in China , the high end BMW 7er largest market is now China and of course BMWs largest market is now China. Again action and reaction.

If we strip down the upcoming concept in its bare essence it is the vision for 3 cars . The 7er , X7 and 8er (Gran Lusso inspired Coupe for 2016)
But recently in Munich we have asked about how to take luxury and BMW into the next decade. There is unanimous agreement that the Rolls-Royce Ghost will be the entry point for Rolls-Royce. Ghost is downmarket enough.

But we have always talked about a bridge to Rolls-Royce from BMW meeting halfway between the brands with their individual philosophies.
The concept is a probable but as of now remains an anomaly.
If you look beyond the concept and focus on the new philosophies in engineering , drivetrain , design , technology and connectivity it is the new BMW 7er.

When we announced the next 7er will be the most advanced BMW ever we were not lying. The 7er leads proliferation of its new philosophy across the BMW portfolio.

And this is what awaits our competitors in 2015 and then....
      04-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #59
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska330xi View Post
Just hope it doesn't look like the gran lusso. Other wise who cares. China is their biggest future market. They would be stupid not to give them what they want. Just like they did will SUVs and crossovers here.
Hmm.. I liked the gran lusso concept quite a bit.I was actually hoping that th next gen 7 resembled it.Am i in the minority?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #60
///MDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 BMW M3 SMG IR on red

lol wat

This news i wont be spreading around.
The series is complete with the 1 & 2er. bmw stahp
      04-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #61
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeentoofast View Post

But it will be an exclusive Rolls-Royce Roadster based on a shortened version of the next Phantom series which uses an updated version of the previously shown V16 engine earmarked for the next Phantom.
But will be upgraded to accommodate new fuel saving efficient measures such as an update of BMWs cylinder dimming introduced on the LCI F01 which in a revised form will feature with the new 7er.

And it will sell.

The importance of commitment to the high end luxury market is that in 2015 it is projected that China will reach 1 million units of luxury vehicles.
SUVs in the luxury segment are a current example that is why there is now finally an X7 due to action and reaction.

It makes sense to launch this car in China because it is conceived for the above cause. There has been a lot of progress for BMW in China , the high end BMW 7er largest market is now China and of course BMWs largest market is now China. Again action and reaction.

If we strip down the upcoming concept in its bare essence it is the vision for 3 cars . The 7er , X7 and 8er (Gran Lusso inspired Coupe for 2016)
But recently in Munich we have asked about how to take luxury and BMW into the next decade. There is unanimous agreement that the Rolls-Royce Ghost will be the entry point for Rolls-Royce. Ghost is downmarket enough.

But we have always talked about a bridge to Rolls-Royce from BMW meeting halfway between the brands with their individual philosophies.
If you look beyond the concept and focus on the new philosophies in engineering , drivetrain , design , technology and connectivity it is the new BMW 7er.

When we announced the next 7er will be the most advanced BMW ever we were not lying. The 7er leads proliferation of its new philosophy across the BMW portfolio.

So...by the magic of Platform Sharing...and common Engineering,Drivetrain, Design, Technology and Connectivity with the G11 7 Series.... the X7 will be the 2nd Most advanced BMW ever built??!! That will shake up the Automotive Universe......Big Time
      04-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #62
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I'm excited for the future of BMW.
And by that I mean, my garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #63
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
So...by the magic of Platform Sharing...and common Engineering,Drivetrain, Design, Technology and Connectivity with the G11 7 Series.... the X7 will be the 2nd Most advanced BMW ever built??!! That will shake up the Automotive Universe......Big Time
Don't forget the next 5er and then down the line the 3er.
      04-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #64
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

And it will sell.

I too am excited about the BMW's future
However, the current generation of BMWs is just not on par in my opinion, I hope BMW realizes that instead of living in the bubble.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #65
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor_yo View Post
I own a BMW 435 m sport, and I love it. So no, I'm not just being a "hater"...with that being said, BMW is lowkey getting on my nerves! All these damn models. It's turning into the Walmart of vehicle brands; just throwing out as many freaking models as possible all for $$$ sake. Just slow down, reel in the money grubbing big wigs, and focus on making the "ultimate driving machine"! Kudos on the 2-series and 4-series (although the nomenclature was a completely effed up move IMO). But the new X's for example (primarily the fugly X1 and unnecessary X4), and now this 9-series?!?! It's just killing and watering down the brand. Wtf does 2015 have in store???? "Introducing the new X17 and 23-series"....FOH!

please explain how you correlate More BMW models to less " ultimate driving machine" ?

you might want to check sales... but the new models particularly the CURRENT X1 arent killing or watering down the brand... in fact.. the X1 is shoring up the brand right now.. the 6 series segment (can you say Gran coupe) is also strong (possibly due to incentives)..

be happy with *your* BMW... and don't hate on models that other future owners (with broader minds than yours) want .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I'm excited for the future of BMW.

And by that I mean, my garage.

that's what im talking about!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-03-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #66
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

A few thoughts here....

Looks like BMW is rapidly expanding it's product line to fill all the niches, 2 Series just came out, X4 just went into production, X7 just got announced, and now we got this rumored 9 Series Concept.

IMO in the luxury sedan market, BMW 7 Series is not competing that well against the S Class, I am a BMW fan myself, but the S Class is just above the 7 Series. If BMW make the 9 series right, it could be slotted between the S Class and S Class Pullman.

It will be something like this

7 Series - S Class - 9 Series - S Class Pullman - Rolls Royce Phantom

Since the next gen 7 Series and Phantom are both gonna be using G11 platform (which is highly modular, and probably lower cost to modify a few parts to accommodate the 9 series), this is somewhat believable.

However, BMW has to make the 9 Series right, luxury and equipment wise, when you compare the current 7 series and new S Class (not fair, I know), the S Class interior design is light years beyond. Therefore I suspect if 9 Series goes into production it, BMW Individual department may be highly involved. (I remember reading about BMW Individual department handling a lot of the old BMW L7 stuff, not sure about it tho)

Another thing is in markets like China, there are a lot of mega rich customers, and instead of rolling in Rolls, Bentley, and Maserati, some of them want to lay low and hide their wealth behind the BMW badge, while enjoying the ultra luxury at the same time.

Now the questions is, if BMW is indeed going to launch a 9 Series, how long till they revive the 8 Series? :P

I may be going to the Beijing Auto Show with one of the Chinese websites this year, can't wait to see the 9 Series Concept.
Appreciate 0