F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW NA and Service Issue - 3rd brake light housing poorly repaired
GetBMWParts

08-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
PPMDNJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5

Angry BMW NA and Service Issue - 3rd brake light housing poorly repaired

On September 20, 2010, I brought my CPO 2007 E90 328xi sedan in to JMK BMW in Springfield, NJ to fix a broken 3rd brake light housing, which had become loose and hanging down on the passenger side. This was done while the car was in its final month of the initial 4 year warranty period. At that time, to the best of my knowledge, the defective item was repaired or replaced.

Within the last two weeks, the same exact part of the housing has come loose. I have since moved to CA, and my local BMW center (BMW of Monrovia) diagnosed the problem as an issue with the part of the rear windshield where the 3rd brake light housing attaches. They also brought to my attention that when this was repaired, it was simply glued by the previous dealership (JMK) - no parts at all were repaired or replaced. BMW Monrovia informed me that the ENTIRE rear windshield would have to be replaced.

I was also informed that since the car is now out of the initial 4 year warranty period, the rear windshield is no longer covered, and I would have to pay for it out of pocket. I must disagree. I brought the vehicle to a BMW center while it was still in the initial 4-year warranty period, and the initial center did not adequately and permanently repair or replace the faulty item - it was simply glued, which obviously did not permanently fix the problem. I feel that it is JMK's responsibility to pay for a windshield replacement by BMW Monrovia, which is what should have been done in September 2010.

I contacted BMW NA for assistance with this issue, who essentially told me that since the car is out of the 4 year warranty period, no assistance would be considered in my case, and that BMW NA "backs up their centers 100%"; when I asked if they back up their customers similarly, I received a not-so-believable answer of "yes, we do take care of our customers, but I cannot accuse the center of improperly repairing the item, we back them up 100%" (I spoke to Kerrie at x7769). Apparently, aside from certifying centers, BMW NA will do nothing to ensure customer satisfaction at their centers.

Any thoughts on recourse for this? Should I prepare to bring BMW NA and the original BMW center who performed the temporary and ineffective repair to small claims court? Should I contact the BBB? Send BMW NA a certified letter? What can I do to not have to pay for something which is BMW's fault due to a shoddy, temporary, and ineffective repair?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

these types of situations usually end up in the dealership offerring a goodwill repair.

that being said there are some horror stories from bmw of monrovia.

moral of the story, prepare to be bent over.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
PPMDNJ
Registered
Rep

I'm planning to ask JMK to foot the bill for Monrovia to repair it. If Monrovia is really bad, I can go to New Century BMW in Alhambra- are they any better? I'm getting really sick of BMW bending me over- next car will be an Audi.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPMDNJ View Post
I'm getting really sick of BMW bending me over- next car will be an Audi.
Yeah, that'll be much better. I hear that Audi will fix anything for free forever...yeah, thats what I heard
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
PPMDNJ
Registered
Rep

Never said they would- sometimes though, getting bent over by someone else is a nice change. It would be great if in addition to your sarcastic comment you'd give me a constructive one and try to help me out.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Bring your repair statement from the previous repair while car was still in warrenty and your current repair estement to a small claim court. Take the statement that BMWNA will "back their center 100%" (whoever make that statment better get ready to back 100% financially as well) you most likley will get your item repaired. Worst case, you know you cost BMW some nice money to send their lawyer on a trip to CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
PPMDNJ
Registered
Rep

Thanks for that tip...I was under the impression that small claims would have to be filed where BMW NA headquarters is located (NJ). That will make things slightly more difficult, but I will definitely pursue it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

The original repair & parts should have a two warranty, no?