F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Are BMW's best days (and cars) in the past?
ARMA SPEED

08-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #155
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
car sales among most brands have been up this year. i'm willing to bet that sales would've been equal if they didn't make the new 3 softer. ppl don't care if the 3 is sporty; they just want the badge. so if they kept it sporty, the masses get the badge, and we get the sporty sedan. everyone wins

take mazda for example. its new line up is praised for its handling dynamics, and its sales increased about 30% in july over the previous year. making cars fun to drive doesn't mean you have to give up profit
It has a lot to do with being global, or more specifically, China. China has blown up in a way that the E90 launch was not there for. China is big into luxury, being driven and not driving. Hence why there is a long wheelbase F30 for them.

So pissing off 10,000 of US buyers but delighting 60,000 new Chinese buyers-sounds like a good business plan.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #156
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
i'd still contend that chinese people would buy a bmw regardless of tuning. theyre just as badge hungry if not more than people over here.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #157
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i'd still contend that chinese people would buy a bmw regardless of tuning. theyre just as badge hungry if not more than people over here.
I was there for work for awhile. What is good for us does not automatically work for them.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #158
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
i am chinese lol. but you are correct that what works for us doens't work for them. they love buicks!

Last edited by i dunno; 08-23-2013 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #159
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i am chinese lol. but you are correct that what works for us doens't work for them. they love buicks!
So true, going to mention Buick! lol.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #160
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I guess to satisfy Chinese market now we are in wait for F60 3 series German Buick. That will surely make the F30 German Toyota Camry seem better in comparison.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #161
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwolverine View Post
bmw is catering to the masses and lets face it, we're a small demographic
Exactly this.

If you think what's happening to BMW in the USA you should see what's happened to it in the UK.
It's almost embarrassing to be a BMW owner these days. It's quite scary to be in a UK dealer and look around at the type of people buying BMW's and to see why they are buying them.......if it's a rare occurance of a private buy that is, as most new BMW's in the UK are company cars which is why 4 cyl diesel 3/5 Series cars sell so well.

I was glad that I was able to be able to afford to buy a brand new small, sporty BMW the once, but given the lack of appeal of any prospective future BMW has to me, given the direction they are going I doubt I'll be buying another one.
      08-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #162
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Exactly this.

If you think what's happening to BMW in the USA you should see what's happened to it in the UK.
It's almost embarrassing to be a BMW owner these days. It's quite scary to be in a UK dealer and look around at the type of people buying BMW's and to see why they are buying them.......if it's a rare occurance of a private buy that is, as most new BMW's in the UK are company cars which is why 4 cyl diesel 3/5 Series cars sell so well.

I was glad that I was able to be able to afford to buy a brand new small, sporty BMW the once, but given the lack of appeal of any prospective future BMW has to me, given the direction they are going I doubt I'll be buying another one.
Yassssss. It's so embarrassing to have to endure these Plebeians who are now allowed to buy BMWs whilst I'm buying a BMW. Hopefully, you didn't catch any communicable diseases from that "type of people."
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #163
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Yassssss. It's so embarrassing to have to endure these Plebeians who are now allowed to buy BMWs whilst I'm buying a BMW. Hopefully, you didn't catch any communicable diseases from that "type of people."

I think it's the other way around, I've almost been hurried out of the dealership on occasion to stop any of the 'plebs' being infected with any unwanted 'gearhead' disease that they think I might pass on......

Mind you I know someone that works in a Porsche dealership, and he reckons most of his 'customers' are clueless about what they are buying and are purely interested in the image of the brand rather than the actual product, so it's not unique to BMW (or probably any number of other brands as well)

It's just a sign of the times, certainley here in the UK, where there is now a distinct lack of interest in cars among the younger generations compared to 30 years ago............largely as a result of the escalation in costs of car ownership here in the UK.
      08-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #164
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Turbos are efficient but they're not pure. The three series has a bogus four banger. All the M's now have turbos. I love the styling but they're just not pure anymore. M5 should've stayed a v10 and m3 should stay a v8 and please bring back the straight 6 to the 28i/xi's that four cylinder sounds like my old honda.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #165
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Related:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/dai...pes-1215892401
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #166
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Turbos are efficient but they're not pure. The three series has a bogus four banger. All the M's now have turbos. I love the styling but they're just not pure anymore. M5 should've stayed a v10 and m3 should stay a v8 and please bring back the straight 6 to the 28i/xi's that four cylinder sounds like my old honda.
Lol

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #167
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

I don't understand this 'pure' BS. A smaller engine is usually a lighter one. Turbos provide torque that a smaller engine wouldn't have without them. Everyone complains about weight. Well here is part of the solution.

Having torque that FI provides is addictive imo. You will also use it far more often than ringing out a NA engine to 8K+ rpms.

Embrace change, it'll be good...
      08-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #168
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

You just can't satisfy everybody.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #169
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

New 4-series ad:

TROPHY CAR.
The new 4 Series is so striking, so dynamic, and with its 300-horsepower engine, so powerful, there's only one question you need to ask yourself. Where do you want to show it off first?

Ugh. What happened to "where do you want to drive it first?"
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #170
Johnfr
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

RE: Trophy Car. Agree with davesaddiction. As a young man I would drool over the 2002, the 320i, and the E46. So unique for their time. I could never afford them but now I have an e92 and was really looking forward to liking the 4 series and especially the M4. Their new add slogan (quoted by Dave) and the "Buick" pose of the car in that add says it all. Makes me sick. Wake up BMW fans its over. What, exactly, is unique about the new 4 series? Based on looks it could be a Ford, Buick, Chrysler, Mercedes, Lincoln, Hyundai, Audi,.....(yawn) A new BMW should shout "buy me" not "I'll grow on you - keep hoping"
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #171
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I am hoping the new M3/M4 will reverse my disappointment with the direction BMW has been heading recently.
      09-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #172
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Agreed, however the reason is the stupid "emission's ratings" tests are getting harder to pass, the reason they benced the 5.0L V10 was because it failed recent emission tests apparently.'

Sure, I wouldn't mind going back to NA, but turbos are very efficent and are more economical then NAs, so BMW has started to use them. Blame the environmentalists
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #173
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT
Quote:
Agreed, however the reason is the stupid "emission's ratings" tests are getting harder to pass, the reason they benced the 5.0L V10 was because it failed recent emission tests apparently.'

Sure, I wouldn't mind going back to NA, but turbos are very efficent and are more economical then NAs, so BMW has started to use them. Blame the environmentalists
I can respect the crazy torque output from a turbo but that V10 sounded so damn good
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #174
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfr View Post
RE: Trophy Car. Agree with davesaddiction. As a young man I would drool over the 2002, the 320i, and the E46. So unique for their time. I could never afford them but now I have an e92 and was really looking forward to liking the 4 series and especially the M4. Their new add slogan (quoted by Dave) and the "Buick" pose of the car in that add says it all. Makes me sick. Wake up BMW fans its over. What, exactly, is unique about the new 4 series? Based on looks it could be a Ford, Buick, Chrysler, Mercedes, Lincoln, Hyundai, Audi,.....(yawn) A new BMW should shout "buy me" not "I'll grow on you - keep hoping"
Not to mention that the 3-series has been beaten by a LEXUS in a couple recent comparisons...

Interesting article recently (forget what mag) about the suspension setup of the E90 vs. the F30. It was clear that they're going for a softer, more luxurious ride. Ugh.

*edit

C&D October '13

"All of it adds up to a softer, tamer 3-series that's more about luxury than fun."
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #175
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Interesting article recently (forget what mag) about the suspension setup of the E90 vs. the F30. It was clear that they're going for a softer, more luxurious ride. Ugh.
I'd be okay with this if the 2 Grand Coupe were available concurrently. I'm not a fan of the size of the F30, so a smaller, lighter, sportier sedan would be welcome. But without the 2 GC, there's really no reason to go all soft on the F30 like they did, unless they're just banking on all enthusiasts buying F80's, which is a bit of a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #176
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfr View Post
A new BMW should shout "buy me" not "I'll grow on you - keep hoping"
I recall not liking the e90s at all when they came out. It took me a few years to appreciate the lines, but now I think it is the best looking 3 series. The styling really pushed the limits. Not sure if the F30 is that cutting edge. It looks a lot like other cars like the Ford Fusion and hyundai genesis to me.

I haven't driven an F30 yet, but what I've heard about the quality & handling really turn me off. A salesman at my local dealership actually told me that the e90 is better. Pretty sad.
Appreciate 0