F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Marine Corps OCS train up
GetBMWParts

06-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Marine Corps OCS train up

I was wondering if there is anyone here that could help me with a pre Marine Corps OCS train up workout. I'd like something progessive that would fully prepare me for the physical side of things, running, upper body, lower body etc and keep me injury free. The mental part I will have to deal with on my own. Thanks
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

The PFT is centered around three mile run time, crunches, and dead hang pullups. To get a perfect score you need do the three miles in 18:00, 100 crunches in two minutes, and 20 dead hang pullups. You get scored from 0-100 on each test. A perfect PFT score is 300. Focus on those things above all else, because while the rest of the training may be more intensive than an actual PFT, it's the PFT scores that are important and will stick with you.

As for the rest of the training, just be in the best shape you can get yourself in. Things you may expect to do are:

1. Long humps (10-25 miles) with ~70-80lbs of gear on. Most of these will be done in what's known as "route step" which is a very fast walking pace, almost a run. Hiking will help prepare for this.

2. A swim test. You have to take a swim qual test which will include pulling someone through the water, so get your swimming skills up to speed, particularly side stroke for this portion of the test.

3. Running. Lots of running, sometimes with equipment on.

4. Lots of calisthenics. I might prepare myself for these by doing both calisthenics and circuit training at the gym. Super-setting 4x exercises might also help. Run before you lift weights so your heart rate is already up.

5. Practice lifting stupid crap and holding it out in front of you for extended periods of time. E.g. fill a backpack with books, and hold it out in front of you for as long as you can. Repeat.

That covers most of it. You really can't prepare for most of the other stuff, other than to lift weights and run a lot. Good luck.

Last edited by radix; 06-09-2009 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
The PFT is centered around three mile run time, crunches, and dead hang pullups. To get a perfect score you need do the three miles in 18:00, 100 crunches in two minutes, and 20 dead hang pullups. You get scored from 0-100 on each test. A perfect PFT score is 300. Focus on those things above all else, because while the rest of the training may be more intensive than an actual PFT, it's the PFT scores that are important and will stick with you.

As for the rest of the training, just be in the best shape you can get yourself in. Things you may expect to do are:

1. Long humps (10-25 miles) with ~70-80lbs of gear on. Most of these will be done in what's known as "route step" which is a very fast walking pace, almost a run. Hiking will help prepare for this.

2. A swim test. You have to take a swim qual test which will include pulling someone through the water, so get your swimming skills up to speed, particularly side stroke for this portion of the test.

3. Running. Lots of running, sometimes with equipment on.

4. Lots of calisthenics. I might prepare myself for these by doing both calisthenics and circuit training at the gym. Super-setting 4x exercises might also help. Run before you lift weights so your heart rate is already up.

5. Practice lifting stupid crap and holding it out in front of you for extended periods of time. E.g. fill a backpack with books, and hold it out in front of you for as long as you can. Repeat.

That covers most of it. You really can't prepare for most of the other stuff, other than to lift weights and run a lot. Good luck.
Most of this I understand, I'm a prior service Army that might be making the switch. I am looking for a gym or outdoor workout that I can tackle to prepare my self. The rucks ain't no thang, been there done that... I am looking for ways to prepare in regiments, what exercises I can do with stuff that is easy to find and things to knock out and set myself up for so that I can prevent injury, I can do a lot of push ups, sit ups are what I'm used to in the Army and if anything I'd like to think crunches are easier than having fingers interlocked in the back of your head and the pullups, I can do them but I have never actually was graded. The running I have done (3 miles) but was never tested PFT style. I am looking for something I can take to the gym with me, what days are what, what to do, how much/many reps etc. For the most part I understand that it would be a huge mess of smoke session and fuck fuck games where you don't actually do counted reps, I've been on the Private side of things.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Radix capture it right. There just no real training regimen besides getting your stamina as high as you can and some strength/endurance exercises. Climbing ropes, strict deadhang pullups (that means no kicking/swaying whatsoever), doing calisthenics/aerobic exercise till your eyes turn blue (jumping jacks, leg lifts, pushups, body builders, & mountain climbers are key)

Yea the crunches is the easiest part of the PFT.. 3 miles less than 18minutes though is truckin'. If you haven't already started, start alternating your runs with sprints and distance running to get your time down. Another part about running they never tell you is that running in formation is cool - running in formation at a good clip is challenging - running in formation at a good clip while screaming a chant to motivate is whole another world.. practice singing those songs while you work on your running. It takes rhythm to keep time and inspire folks around you yell with you.

And not to dis the Army or anything but humpin with the suck is wild animal all to its own. Forced marches can go as high as 25miles and the 3mile to 4mile an hour pace feels like a mad-sprint with 70-80lbs on your back. That's not the bad part - its the blisters/callouses that are the backbreaker. If your feet are not built 'Ford-tough', start practicing and getting the pain of blisters out now in the comfort of your home while you can. Moleskin is a life-saver as well.

The physical part of OCS/Bootcamp isn't mindblowing tough - it is the mental games, constant repetition, and the competition with your peers that you have to fight through. It's one thing just completing - its another thing to excel. No gym routine is going to make you 'want it' and that drive is what will make everything else go smooth.

Good luck to you and Semper Fi
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
B. Motoren Werke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

I completed Marine OCS a long time ago- 1991-92. Back in the day, the PFT involved situps instead of crunches. Lots of running, calisthenics, etc. They have a number of obstacle courses, rope courses, etc. as well. There were a number of timed runs in boots and with rifle over an obstacle course as well.

In any event, Radix nailed it. I would just add that the running/humping at USMC OCS is really intense. There were a number of people who got hurt/heat stroke/washed out of the program as a result. A lot of people's feet got torn up as other posters noted. A strong upper body is important, but I'd focus on running/endurance if I were you. Good luck.
Appreciate 0