F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Anyone attend a possessional race at VIR
Studio RSR

11-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Anyone attend a possessional race at VIR

ok so every year i try and make an out of state race for ALMS/IMSA TUDOR. this year i was thinking of going to VIR and wondered if anyone has been and if you recommend the trip from CA... the deal is i get to go out of state for a race then from the race i take the wife somewhere directly from the race.. last time i went to BALTIMORE and from there we went to NY. if we went to VIR we would most likely take a trip to Washington DC for the Smithsonian's...

so once again would you guys think VIR is a great race to attend? thank you in advance
      11-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

VIR is an awesome place to watch a race! This year was incredible and if you're a BMWCCA member, I highly recommend you purchase car corral passes. You get some behind-the-scenes stuff that you wouldn't get anywhere else like parade laps, hot laps courtesy of the BMW Performance Center, race team meet & greet/autographs sessions, and so much more.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
VIR is an awesome place to watch a race! This year was incredible and if you're a BMWCCA member, I highly recommend you purchase car corral passes. You get some behind-the-scenes stuff that you wouldn't get anywhere else like parade laps, hot laps courtesy of the BMW Performance Center, race team meet & greet/autographs sessions, and so much more.

wow ok!!!! the race takes place this year in august.. humid? what kind of weather is expected?
      11-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

also what airport do we fly into? thank you in advance
      11-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'd pass on VIR
And the Smithsonian is a mess, the National Gallery of Art is the exception, and the Air & Space Museum in Va. Udvar Hazy is good.
Remember DO NOT speed in Virginia
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
also what airport do we fly into? thank you in advance
RDU is probably the closest international airport to VIR. If you're going to DC, fly into Dulles (the Air & Space museum is close by and a must see).

Unfortunately, because of its rural location, you'll need to drive a while to get there. Also lodging is at a premium, so get a hotel now. You can forget about staying at the track as its all booked. I stayed in Danville last year and it was decent.

http://www.vir-ems.com/Getting_to_VIR_Map.pdf

Quote:
wow ok!!!! the race takes place this year in august.. humid? what kind of weather is expected?
August is usually hot and humid, although we dodged that bullet this year.

If you can afford to rent a golf cart to get around the track, do it. I was able to get very good vantage points at oak tree and hog pen turns, not to mention the great view we had from our corral area of turns 3-6.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RDU is probably the closest international airport to VIR. If you're going to DC, fly into Dulles (the Air & Space museum is close by and a must see).

Unfortunately, because of its rural location, you'll need to drive a while to get there. Also lodging is at a premium, so get a hotel now. You can forget about staying at the track as its all booked. I stayed in Danville last year and it was decent.

http://www.vir-ems.com/Getting_to_VIR_Map.pdf

August is usually hot and humid, although we dodged that bullet this year.

If you can afford to rent a golf cart to get around the track, do it. I was able to get very good vantage points at oak tree and hog pen turns, not to mention the great view we had from our corral area of turns 3-6.
was looking at hotels in the area.. there isnt much to choose from.. looks like eden NC and gretna VA
      11-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
was looking at hotels in the area.. there isnt much to choose from.. looks like eden NC and gretna VA
that's probably the only drawback for this race, mediocre hotels will go for $250/night with a 2 or 3 night minimum.

some people commuted from the Triangle area, but makes for a long day if you stay at the track for all the races.

last year we thought about renting an RV and staying in the camping area; but then you can't drive the track during the parade laps

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

VIR is in the middle of nowhere. What's wrong with he Laguna Seca Tudor race? I was there this year, will plan on camping next year.

Too bad they don't race in Baltimore anymore. I was thee back in 2012 race

Last edited by Flying Ace; 11-25-2014 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
VIR is in the middle of nowhere. What's wrong with he Laguna Seca Tudor race? I was there this year, will plan on camping next year.

Too bad they don't race in Baltimore anymore. I was thee back in 2012 race
ohh i go to LAGUNA and LONG BEACH every year as well!!! i just like to attend 1 out of state as well
      11-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
ohh i go to LAGUNA and LONG BEACH every year as well!!! i just like to attend 1 out of state as well
I see, I was thinking of going to either COTA or Daytona next season.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

@Sebringjetta
What about The Roar Before the 24 (and of course the Rolex 24) on Jan. 24-25 or Sebring International Raceway on 03/21? There is also the Pirelli World Challenge race (might be able to get in to the paddock to see the Turner folks) that coincides with the IndyCar St. Petersburg Grand Prix on 03/27.

I was thinking about going to Sebring and then heading west to St. Pete for the races a few days later.

I will be there so if you or anyone else plans to attend any of these events, we can set something up! Good tracks, good weather, plenty of other things around to do!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I see, I was thinking of going to either COTA or Daytona next season.
i just got back from COTA.... it was a interesting experience.. its an F1 track so its HUGE!!! overall was a cool experience but dont see myself ever going back
      11-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
@Sebringjetta
What about The Roar Before the 24 (and of course the Rolex 24) on Jan. 24-25 or Sebring International Raceway on 03/21? There is also the Pirelli World Challenge race (might be able to get in to the paddock to see the Turner folks) that coincides with the IndyCar St. Petersburg Grand Prix on 03/27.

I was thinking about going to Sebring and then heading west to St. Pete for the races a few days later.

I will be there so if you or anyone else plans to attend any of these events, we can set something up! Good tracks, good weather, plenty of other things around to do!
SEBRING has always been on my list... i think that will be next year or ROLEX 24!!! my only concern with SEBRING as its all flat so i wonder how good viewing will be as its on a old airforce base... but still somthing i want to do.. i think the ROLEX 24 would be cool to watch!!! never been to a 24hr race...
      11-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
SEBRING has always been on my list... i think that will be next year or ROLEX 24!!! my only concern with SEBRING as its all flat so i wonder how good viewing will be as its on a old airforce base... but still somthing i want to do.. i think the ROLEX 24 would be cool to watch!!! never been to a 24hr race...
It is tons and tons of fun, they have events all day and all night on the track, in the pits, on the grounds. I might just stick with the Sebring Petit Le Mans this year and save the Rolex 24 for 2016.
BMW corral: https://www.sebringraceway.com/bmw-c...tegory?path=36
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
It is tons and tons of fun, they have events all day and all night on the track, in the pits, on the grounds. I might just stick with the Sebring Petit Le Mans this year and save the Rolex 24 for 2016.
BMW corral: https://www.sebringraceway.com/bmw-c...tegory?path=36
i think the way i will sell SEBRING to my wife next year is i will take her to DISNEY WORLD
      12-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Andy_H_E92_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

+1 for VIR... and go karting while you're there (if they're open during race weekend).

Also, Road Atlanta in the Fall (Oct) is nice... and it's only an hour from downtown Atlanta.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #18
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_H_E92_M3 View Post
+1 for VIR... and go karting while you're there (if they're open during race weekend).

Also, Road Atlanta in the Fall (Oct) is nice... and it's only an hour from downtown Atlanta.
sounds good tom me!!! thank you
      12-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

also forgot to ask. where do you usually sit for best viewing on for taking pictures?
      12-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #20
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
also forgot to ask. where do you usually sit for best viewing on for taking pictures?
the car corral area gives you great sight lines of turns 1-6 and down the straight to the esses. after that, there are areas at the oak tree, roller coaster, hog pen turns where you can get really close to the action.

If you can, rent a golf cart to get around because it's nearly impossible to walk it all. Better yet, if you can get media credentials, it'll allow you to get even closer for some really great shots. Check out our latest newletter on the pics we were able to get:

http://db.nccbmwcca.org/2014/2014_1112.pdf

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #21
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the car corral area gives you great sight lines of turns 1-6 and down the straight to the esses. after that, there are areas at the oak tree, roller coaster, hog pen turns where you can get really close to the action.

If you can, rent a golf cart to get around because it's nearly impossible to walk it all. Better yet, if you can get media credentials, it'll allow you to get even closer for some really great shots. Check out our latest newletter on the pics we were able to get:

http://db.nccbmwcca.org/2014/2014_1112.pdf
do the golf carts sell out? meaning do i need to reserve a cart now or wait until we get there?
      12-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
do the golf carts sell out? meaning do i need to reserve a cart now or wait until we get there?
I actually don't know, someone else picked it up for me. probably worth a call over there

Appreciate 0