F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Accelerator Leg Pain!
ARMA SPEED

10-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4!

Accelerator Leg Pain!

For the past 3 months or so I've been experiencing what I think is sciatic related pain throughout my right leg after driving more than about 30 minutes. It's worse in some vehicles than others. I don't have any lower back issues currently and have been rolling and stretching out this leg for months with only slight improvement. If I don't get this under control it's going to put the kibosh on track days and the enjoyment of driving. Any one else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Not a medical professional but...

Do you get the pain in both SUVs and sedans? This happened to my dad a few years back who went through 2-3 leases (all sedans). Switched him out to a SUV and hasn't happened since.

Also happens to me when i sit on the toilet for wayyyyyy too long.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

With the right stretches it will go away - I dealt with it for nearly a year - I could not sit down. MRI revealed a bulging disc hitting by sciatica nerve.

Find the right stretches and do them now, morning and night, GL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
Cajun1137.50
      10-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #4
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Not a medical professional but...

Do you get the pain in both SUVs and sedans? This happened to my dad a few years back who went through 2-3 leases (all sedans). Switched him out to a SUV and hasn't happened since.
Happens in our Toyota minivan (yuck), Acura SUV, and now the M4. Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #5
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
With the right stretches it will go away - I dealt with it for nearly a year - I could not sit down. MRI revealed a bulging disc hitting by sciatica nerve.

Weird thing is that everything seems seems in place and reasonably loose. I'm 59 and wondering if having less of an "ass cushion" might be the issue.

Last edited by Cajun1; 10-02-2020 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I'm 45 and experience this in my E92 with sport seats. I own 2 other cars, an SC 400 that I never have an issue in and a Chevy Suburban that sometimes does bring discomfort, but only after longer drive, like over an hour or 2.

In the E92, I find I have to shift my seating position often or the pain becomes rather excruciating. It wasn't a problem when I first bought it 3 years ago, but is slowly becoming worse lately.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:00 AM   #7
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun1 View Post
Quote:

Weird thing is that everything seems seems in place and reasonably loose. I'm 59 and wondering if having less of an "ass cushion" might be the issue.
Quote:
Quote:

The piriformis muscle is likely irritated. I've been there done that - you need certain stretches day and night - or it will just get worse.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/back-...ormis-syndrome

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks floridaorange, I'm on it!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Also had/have sciatica.
I found relief by putting a pillow under the affected leg at the front edge of the car seat.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #10
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

when you say "sciatic", what exactly are your symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #11
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
when you say "sciatic", what exactly are your symptoms?
Pain radiating down from my butt to lower calf. This really became an issue on a 16 hr road trip in July and increased in intensity. I have no other symptoms and have no issues with longer mountain bike rides and working out. It's just that accelerator pedal.

Last edited by Cajun1; 10-03-2020 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #12
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Also had/have sciatica.
I found relief by putting a pillow under the affected leg at the front edge of the car seat.
Funny you mention that, I seem to experience the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

Stretches.

But for general overall health and less stress, I go to a massage therapist every month who worked for an NHL team - he beats me up but I have more movement.

2009 328i 6 spd stick, Crimson Red/Sport Suspension, Bavsound Stage 1, 2

Former BMWs: '79 320i, '84 325e, 2000 328i, 2014 535i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #14
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Pain radiating down from my butt to lower calf. This really became an issue on a 16 hr road trip in July and increased in intensity. I have no other symptoms and have no issues with longer mountain bike rides and working out. It's just that accelerator pedal.
treatment depends on severity of symptoms. you're not carrying your wallet in your back pocket are you? if you are having trouble ambulating I would give you a steroid taper. if you're not that bad physical therapy does wonders
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
treatment depends on severity of symptoms. you're not carrying your wallet in your back pocket are you? if you are having trouble ambulating I would give you a steroid taper. if you're not that bad physical therapy does wonders
Thanks doc and I’m hopeful PT/stretching gets this under control.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #16
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Forgot to add in my original post, in this thread. I went through therapy, anti inflammatories etc....What worked for me was acupuncture.
Granted the pain flares up occasionally, but a "top up" clears things up in a few sessions. I believe once you have sciatica you are never fully rid of it.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:04 AM   #17
markmason
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I have been suffering from the same problem for the last 6 or 7 months. I did a lot of home remedies, changed my mattress, posture.. but it worsened. The only solution turned out to be chiropractor and masseuse(only when the doc recommends). Stretching at home may help or may worsen the condition. Good luck & take care

Last edited by markmason; 10-06-2020 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #18
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Need to do physical therapy, i dealt with pretty intense pain for 6months then off and on pain for 6months following that. Not saying you need to go anywhere to do the physical therapy, I just ended up making my own routine. Like floridaorange mentioned, constant stretches, and light weight movements. Find the right stretches that work for you. If you have pain while sleeping try a pillow under your calves. Here is the difficult part, constant awareness of your movements. Even the smallest thing, like getting out of the car incorrectly, would cause my pain to flare. Constant awareness of what muscles are being used help me limit the amount of flares, haven't had an issue in about a year now knock on wood.

Good luck, and hope that it gets better!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #19
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Forgot to add in my original post, in this thread. I went through therapy, anti inflammatories etc....What worked for me was acupuncture.
Granted the pain flares up occasionally, but a "top up" clears things up in a few sessions. I believe once you have sciatica you are never fully rid of it.
Quote:

Guys - we can keep talking in circles about this or you can learn from my - yr journey from hell. I'm now squatting and deadlifting over 300 lbs, with zero pain - I'm 40 yrs old.

When we change seasons in particular, we dehydrate easier - and or our muscles are a bit more tense - not to mention the general stress of 2020 making things more tense.

Now, all of us sit too much - and sitting causes atrophy in the hamstrings.

Ideally everyone reading this gets plenty of physical activity every day. But if you don't - it's only a matter of time before something in the lower back / glutes / hamstrings gives.

I did acupuncture - chiro - mri - reflexive therapy - physical therapy.

As JP10 said - physical therapy is the answer. They will pinpoint the issue - I had an mri first - then the physical therapist - I went to Jewett Orthopedic - they will give you your HOMEWORK. IE stretches.

Now hear me out - I don't do any stretches anymore - I'm more into a light 5 min jog before I workout -and don't do static stretches anymore.

But once the muscles around the injured area start to tense up - you'll watch to do the stretches to relieve and eventually fix your issue.

I also bought a Tens Unit (wallgreens) and CBD can help too.

But to fix your problem you need SPECIFIC stretches. Mine took about 15-20 mins before getting out of bed - yes do them in your bed- and 20 mins at night before sleep, or around 6pm if you wish on bed I'd ideal.

These will help you - you can skip stretch #2

https://www.spine-health.com/video/4...ack-pain-video

I couldn't sit for 8 months at all, my friend had same problem - he went the surgery route (I don't recommend) $10k later he still has issues, but he doesn't workout.

Strong core (abs) + strong back = fending off future issues.

These are good too:

Or you can just let it get worse and turn chronic - you will become a pain in the ass to be around and eventually humbled

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
Cajun1137.50
      10-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #20
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Yes, after throwing my back out I get the nerve pain as well. As far as driving position what makes the most difference to me is setting the HEIGHT of the seat appropriately to keep the legs more hanging off the end of the seat rather than being pushed up. I sink the butt further down, thighs up and then adjust the height of the seat to where the pressure is taken off the lower back.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #21
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Strong core (abs) + strong back = fending off future issues.
Bingo.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      10-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #22
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Sounds like a piriformis issue. If it is the piriformis muscle causing your issues then I’d recommend finding out if it’s long or short piriformis syndrome. I’ve found that if it’s long piriformis syndrome you don’t want to be doing extensive stretching of the piriformis muscle, rather you should be strengthening it. It’s the opposite of it’s short piriformis syndrome and you can find online why that is.

If you do have piriformis syndrome it sounds like you have the long version as you said you feel loose. Also, if this is the case an overarching issue that should be addressed is that you probably have a weak ass.

But as others have said your best bet is find a competent PT to get a correct diagnosis. Might have to try several. I have found that I was getting incorrect advise from certain PT’s, like being told to stretch tf out of my hamstrings when I had an anterior pelvic tilt.
Appreciate 0