E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 Oil Level Sensor wire was chewed

04-02-2024, 09:10 AM   #1
mattlal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

N54 Oil Level Sensor wire was chewed

Hey, so recently my oil level just started saying inactive, when I start the car and even 20 minutes later when it's hot and everything, it still says inacitve. I went under to see what was going on and the wire were cut or chewed by a mouse or something. I tried to see if it was repairable, but one of the three wires doesn't have an electic wire inside, it looks to be some sort of blue powder. When I brushed my finger on it, a bucnh of blue dust fell on my face. I would've had no problem repairing it if it was an actual wire, but I wouldn't know how to splice powder. I want to cut further to see if thre is wire somewhere in there, but don't want to loose some spliceable wire. I'll wait to here some advice before going further. Anything help thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:14 AM   #2
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Cut the wires back until you see clean copper and splice.

The blue could be pixidust!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:58 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/o...#post-13925304
George
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:16 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Yeah if I was you I would cut back and splice from clean wire
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:29 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Get these (linked below) and a heat gun. The blue green is copper oxidation due to road salt. The corroded wire probably was bitten into several years ago and the wire corroded inside the casing. Then a new rodent came by and chewed the other wires. Just cut back the wire until you get solid copper, then use the wire connectors I linked to.

180PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors-haisstronica Heat Shrink Solder Wire Connectors-Waterproof Wire Connectors - Insulated Electrical Connectors Butt Splice(5Colors/5Size) https://a.co/d/7ZOUqOJ

Or this one, which comes with a heat gun

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXKHBDFB...G9uZV9kZXRhaWw

Lowes or Home Depot sell the split loom wire sheathing.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-02-2024 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2024, 12:50 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah if I was you I would cut back and splice from clean wire
Lol. I have this issue all the time. I eventually had to cut sections of wire out of my (wife's) Z3 audio harness in the trunk to make repairs. I replaced the Z3 audio system long ago, so I have plenty of spare wire to pilfer; and it's easy to get to.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:53 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Lol. I have this issue all the time. I eventually had to cut sections of wire out of my (wife's) Z3 audio harness in the trunk to make repairs. I replaced the Z3 audio system long ago, so I have plenty of spare wire to pilfer; and it's easy to get to.
Lol that's great. I'm surprised though how often this can be for some as I read online. I guess some places there is more vermin ha. Never heard of this happening to someone around here.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 02:41 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Get these (linked below) and a heat gun. The blue green is copper oxidation due to road salt. The corroded wire probably was bitten into several years ago and the wire corroded inside the casing. Then a new rodent came by and chewed the other wires. Just cut back the wire until you get solid copper, then use the wire connectors I linked to.

180PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors-haisstronica Heat Shrink Solder Wire Connectors-Waterproof Wire Connectors - Insulated Electrical Connectors Butt Splice(5Colors/5Size) https://a.co/d/7ZOUqOJ

Or this one, which comes with a heat gun

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXKHBDFB...G9uZV9kZXRhaWw

Lowes or Home Depot sell the split loom wire sheathing.
As a follow up to my post. I bought the kit from the 2nd link I posted. It arrived on Thursday. It's a nice kit for $40 including a small heat gun.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0