F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Dealer sells certified car that has malfunctioning safety
GetBMWParts

09-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #1
billt1nh
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Dealer sells certified car that has malfunctioning safety

I'm at a loss . As you will see below from an email I sent to Fort Lauderdale BMW , a certified car I bought a few days ago is unsafe. I had politely asked they pick up the car , leave a loaner fix and return. The answer" we don't do that" I spoke with another dealer and he feels the malfunctions are most likely from a non OEM windshield which would not be warranty but of course could not have passed the CPO inspection either . EMAIL: Purchased certified 2020 540i. I flew in to the airport 20 minutes away and asked for shuttle to come pick me up , told there was none. Between the BMW's in my name and the ones I purchased in my companies names I think I have had around 15+ new and going a ways back 3 certified. The dealers in New Hampshire always supplied shuttles for car purchases or service. The salesman told me the car would be certified and the curb rash on the wheels fixed. When I arrived by Uber I found the curb rash still there . When I took the car around the block for a test ride I immediately noticed the avoidance system had been disabled and before I put the can in gear I re enabled "All". . The salesman that sold me the car was not there for delivery so the person giving me the keys took pictures of the wheel and said the salesman would reach right back out to me to resolve, he never did I had to call him 4 days later. On my 2 hour and 20 minute ride to the cars new home I set the active cruise control and driving assistance plus to on. I was on a well lined 4 lane, alligator alley. Within few miles the car would just wander to another lane. I realized it would just randomly shut off driving assist , no yellow warning , no steering wheel shake, just go from green to grey. I am very familiar with driving assistance as I have had it on my last three BMWs and this one is dangerously malfunctioning. Now being concerned I realized lane assist gives no feedback either. I have everything set to on and strong. . My last three BMWs with parking assist would not let me hit something when parking. I drove this 540i into the garage and tagged the front wall so the parking assist doesn't work either and now the bumper is skun up. In my current 2021 X5 M50 I took a rock to the windshield and the BMW dealer told me they could not guarantee proper function of safety devices if I didn't replace with OEM. When I checked my certified 540i after these safety concerns it is not an OEM BMW windshield. I wish I took a picture as I am now back in New Hampshire but it was something like Cool gard??? The car has many safety features malfunctioning and I asked the salesman to come pick up and leave a loaner, the answer was no. He said he would arrange for a local dealer to fix and supply loaner, I still have no appointment. I really don't think I should have to take a late model certified car off your lot and drive it right over to another dealer to make it safe. This car could not have been test driven certification because the malfunctions took place in very short order. I am asking again to have the car picked up with a loaner dropped
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Why do you care what dealer fixes it? Any dealer has to honor the certification, same as the original warranty. I'd be happy to take it to a place other than the one that was so lazy to begin with. And why do you need a loaner in Florida if you are in New Hampshire? And for future reference, your email is about 3 times longer than it should be, and you really should not start by telling people you deem to be unimportant how important you deem yourself to be. I would not be very inclined to help you either.
Appreciate 3
      09-28-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Why do you care what dealer fixes it? Any dealer has to honor the certification, same as the original warranty. I'd be happy to take it to a place other than the one that was so lazy to begin with. And why do you need a loaner in Florida if you are in New Hampshire? And for future reference, your email is about 3 times longer than it should be, and you really should not start by telling people you deem to be unimportant how important you deem yourself to be. I would not be very inclined to help you either.
Fort Lauderdale BMW has an excellent service department, I use them for both of my cars and have never had any issues.

It is not realistic to expect a dealer on the east coast of Florida to pickup and do this repair when the car is 2 hours and 20 minutes away, most likely on the west coast or in central Florida. If billt1nh's story is accurate the fault lies with the salesman who said he would arrange for another dealer closer to where the car is currently located to do the repair and then not following up on the matter.

I agree with you that as long as the car is covered by the CPO warranty it doesn't matter which dealer does the work.

In addition, billt1nh mentioned that he spoke to another dealer who said it was most likely caused from a non OEM windshield. Why wasn't the car taken to that dealer and have it properly inspected and correct the issues instead of having someone diagnose the issue with a guess over the phone?

I also agree that if billt1nh is in New Hampshire a loaner is not required.

By the way. the waste majority of Alligator Alley is only 2 lanes in each direction. It is only when you are leaving the east coast and when you arrive in the Naples area that are there more lanes.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
billt1nh
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you. My email was too long and too angry. I have purchased a vacation home on the west coast of Florida and the reviews from Fort Lauderdale and the car being certified gave me comfort I would drive away with a car free of mechanical and cosmetic defects, it was not. The mechanical and cosmetic defects would have not passed certification. When I spoke to a west coast dealer to correct under BMW certification warranty told me having a non approved OEM windshield which affects the software and curb rash repair would not be covered. So should I not be upset a dealer sold me a certificated car that couldn't pass certification? Is it unreasonable for them to drop a loaner fix and return?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 01:52 PM   #5
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by billt1nh View Post
I agree with you. My email was too long and too angry. I have purchased a vacation home on the west coast of Florida and the reviews from Fort Lauderdale and the car being certified gave me comfort I would drive away with a car free of mechanical and cosmetic defects, it was not. The mechanical and cosmetic defects would have not passed certification. When I spoke to a west coast dealer to correct under BMW certification warranty told me having a non approved OEM windshield which affects the software and curb rash repair would not be covered. So should I not be upset a dealer sold me a certificated car that couldn't pass certification? Is it unreasonable for them to drop a loaner fix and return?

You only spoke to him, how does the west coast dealer know what type of windshield is on the car without inspecting it? Was it in a carfax report?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 02:25 PM   #6
billt1nh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
You only spoke to him, how does the west coast dealer know what type of windshield is on the car without inspecting it? Was it in a carfax report?
Fair question. I believe he was trying to save me time and effort. Knowing the windshield is not OEM and the associated lane assist and driving assist malfunction is most likely related to it as well as damaged wheel would not be covered under warranty . Carfax had no indication of a windshield change but the inspection for certification does ask if it it meets standards. I appreciate any insight you or others have. I have never had a concern with any BMW dealer until now . I will be back in the state in 2 weeks and need a car . I bought this particular one for it's additional safety features, those features left the dealership malfunctioning . Not usually this public about relationships and almost embarrassed by it but I feel at this point I was not provided a certified car I bought and it's like a punch in the face .
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 03:01 PM   #7
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

ah man i feel for you. but trusting a car dealership is the most stupid thing you can do. no matter how much they dress up their operation, they are mostly snakes
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2023, 05:20 PM   #8
billt1nh
Rep

Quote:
Ok thank you for those who offered an opinion . One of you mentioning how great the dealer was known to be. I feel like a Dick for airing my grievances publicly but I was use to a different dealer relationship . Pembroke Pines BMW called , apologized for the time it took to respond, the difficulty I was having with the car and has authorized the closest dealer to fix whatever they missed. I Am going to leave this up for a short time to let those following know the result then delete as I do not want those doing google searches on the dealer come to potentially improper conclusions Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 05:44 PM   #9
billt1nh
Rep

Can anyone tell me how to delete a thread?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 05:59 PM   #10
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok thank you for those who offered an opinion . One of you mentioning how great the dealer was known to be. I feel like a Dick for airing my grievances publicly but I was use to a different dealer relationship . Pembroke Pines BMW called , apologized for the time it took to respond, the difficulty I was having with the car and has authorized the closest dealer to fix whatever they missed. I Am going to leave this up for a short time to let those following know the result then delete as I do not want those doing google searches on the dealer come to potentially improper conclusions Thanks again
Lauderdale BMW of Pembroke Pines is the sister dealership to BMW of Ft. Lauderdale and they are both owned by Holman Automotive Group.

I can't speak for the salespeople in the pre-owned department in Pembroke Pines but there might have been a disconnect between the two of you and perhaps you should give them a chance to correct all of your issues.

I have dealt with both the new and pre-owned salespeople in their Ft. Lauderdale location and their follow-up and attention to detail has been top notch. In addition, their service department is far superior to anything that I have experienced down in Miami at a extremely large and very well known BMW dealer.

Exactly where is the car currently located in Florida? Sending you to the nearest dealer for this repair is the proper course of action as nobody is going to send someone to pickup a car 2 hours and 20 minutes away when there is an authorized dealer that can do the work nearby.

I still find it very strange that there is no mention of a windshield being replaced in the Carfax report and that someone could pinpoint this as the culprit of all these issues over the phone without first inspecting the vehicle in person.

You can't blame the bumper damage totally on parking assist. The name says it all, it is something that will assist you. You are still responsible of being aware of your surroundings when you are parking a car. Maybe you should consider that a 50/50 type of situation.

By the way, there is nothing to hide or is there a need to delete anything if you aren't satisfied at the end. Just be truthful and let the chips fall where they may.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2023, 06:01 PM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Please hold off doing anything until you have a resolution to the issues you have written about.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2023, 06:21 PM   #12
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
You can’t delete a whole thread. Only individual posts.

I don’t want to rag on you a lot, but you really didn’t do a great job with your own due diligence. I think as others have done, you put way too much trust in a dealer and a CPO. It should be different, but it just isn’t. It’s been discussed here in the past. The CPO is only as good as the dealer doing it.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-30-2023, 10:48 AM   #13
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You can’t delete a whole thread. Only individual posts.
Also if someone quotes the OP’s comments in their post that can’t be deleted either.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 12:44 PM   #14
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

walloftext.jpg